Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's it like switching to a road bike from a MTB?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's it like switching to a road bike from a MTB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
When you first get on one, it won't roll straight but you know that some people buy them and actually ride them so it can't be that hard. And after a short while it's no issue.

I had some neck soreness due to the unaccustomed leaning forward and craning my neck to see where I was going, until those muscles strengthened up. It might not be as much an issue for younger riders.
Old 06-15-16, 02:30 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I've seen MTB guys who were just getting into road bikes. They all seem to want to muscle the bike down the road with lots of upper body movement. Lots of wasted energy. Sitting still, relaxing and spinning is something they seem to have to get used to.

I wonder if the same is true in reverse, if roadies have to get used to more upper body when cycling on the trails.
Well, I took up mountain biking again last year from years of roadie riding (last time I rode a mountain bike on the trail was probably late 90's) and had to get used to using the upper body, used to really steep climbing, used to cornering differently. You definitely use your body English more when mountain biking and moving your body around the bike is pretty important. I know roadies who get into trail riding and corner poorly because they are trying to do it like they would on the road and that isn't how you do it on the trail.
Old 06-15-16, 03:34 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Well, I took up mountain biking again last year from years of roadie riding (last time I rode a mountain bike on the trail was probably late 90's) and had to get used to using the upper body, used to really steep climbing, used to cornering differently. You definitely use your body English more when mountain biking and moving your body around the bike is pretty important. I know roadies who get into trail riding and corner poorly because they are trying to do it like they would on the road and that isn't how you do it on the trail.
Thanks for this.

Now that you say this... I would totally try to corner like a roadie. It looks pretty funny as I imagine it in my mind right now.
Old 06-15-16, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Felt Z2 Custom Hybrid, Orbea Occam Mt. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in the northern Utah mountains and road Mt. Bikes for 20 years. Truly a blast and I dismissed road bikes. Road bikers are lean and I didn’t fit that image. I was muscular and often pudgy, even the year I ran a marathon. Then I retired and moved to the southwest. I sort of gave up cycling but missed it and would ocassionally ride the mt. bike on MUP’s and roads. I worried that road bikes steer kind of funny and you’re all bent over, but I wanted speed and lightness, so I had a fast carbon flat-bar hybrid built. Six months later I’m riding more miles than ever before and my average speed increases by the month. Now I get it. I had a pro bike fit and ordered a new frame with comfortable upright geometry. I know there’s going to be a learning curve but I hope by this time next year I’m doing long rides and maybe even credit card touring. Currently, on the hybrid, anything over about 35 miles and my hands are going numb. I’m hoping the drop bars will take care of that. But one last thought—If I was 20 years younger and in love with road bikes, I’d hope to also drop $4,000 on a new mt. bike. Best of both worlds.
Old 06-16-16, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
You'll have to stop smoking pot and start drinking wine.
I must be a freak. I was big into the mtb scene in the 90's and never smoked pot. I still ride the mtb but also ride road, and I don't drink wine. I am sensing a pattern here.
My son is 9 and he has a real mtb. I have gotten him out on some trails and it is awesome to watch. I can't wait for him to get older and more confident so that we can ride the rougher trails for longer.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Cleaner.
Also accidents tend to be less frequent but more catastrophic.
I am not sure about this. I have bled a lot on mtb falls but the worst thing that happened was a broken scapula and a concussion. The falls are far more frequent though. Unfortunately, I have seen quite a few really bad spills in the day. More than I have seen on the bike. Thankfully, I have had only one bad fall on the road bike if you could call it that. It probably looked worse than it felt. I was scuffed up but nothing was broken.
You can and will sustain damage from both of them if you participate long enough. As long as the Jack Daniels IV drip is all that you need, than all is well.
Old 06-17-16, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Even though I have a MTB, I don't go up and down hills. I ride on flat paved trails and flat streets. So, maybe it would be a good idea for me to buy a road bike in the future? I really like my bike now but am open to trying something new. I get a little tired after an hour of riding my MTB, so on a road bike, do you think I'll be able to not be as tired?
Old 06-17-16, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You'll be surprised at how smooth, quick and light it feels. And you'll either get hooked instantly or find it boring. Only one way to find out. It will make you a stronger mountain biker.
This. I got on one for a test ride in a parking lot and was immediately amazed at how fast and responsive it was. I was sold at first ride.
Old 06-17-16, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The new breed of adventure/gravel road bikes are lighter and faster than a 29er.

Once you're hooked on one, riding an MTB simply isn't as fast and smooth.

And you can still roll fast on 40-45c tires.