Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Trek vs Raleigh vs Schwinn for newbie

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Trek vs Raleigh vs Schwinn for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 11:16 PM

Bikes: bunch of junk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on the Raleigh. Have fun.
Dont be too afraid of the rain either!
Old 04-01-07, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by astphard
Finally! I've bought a bike! WOOHOO!!! I went with the Raleigh Passage 3.0. I tried the Raleigh without the suspension, and though others may not be able to tell a difference, I certainly could! Overall I've had good experiences at the LBSs in the area, and they all have 6 months of tune-ups, so I went with the bike that felt most comfortable. Got it back to the house and went for a 20 minute ride but got caught in the rain. I can tell I'm not ready for any 20-mile rides yet, but I'll be working on it! Thanks again for all the help!!

Oh, one other question. I saw in CTYankee's thread that there was a recommendation not to keep the bike in the garage because of cold weather. Is there something similar with hot weather?
Congrats and enjoy your new bike!

In your area, the humid times/months would be a bigger problem than your winters, which is one reason to keep your bike in a more temp/humidity controlled environment (air conditioned). Just periodically grease or use an anti-seize compound on your seatpost, check or relube your bearings (wheels, BB, and pedals, if applicable) periodically or ask your LBS for a recommended maintenance schedule since they would be more familiar with the conditions in your area, maintain/oil your chain more frequently, and wax any exposed/unpainted aluminum parts to keep corrosion to a minimum. Next brake pad change (or sooner), buy Kool Stop's Salmon pads and they will help you stop better and keep your rims cleaner (little or no brake pad marks on your rims). Lowe's Hardware carries DuPont Multi-Use Lubricant with Teflon for about $5. It's a pretty good and easy to use chain lube and protectant. Just spray it on and let it dry. Here's a review:
https://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

Last edited by Sci-Fi; 04-01-07 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-01-07, 02:21 AM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Additional advice: PM roughrider504 about maintenance issues specific to your area. He's a very mechanically inclined young man with some beautifully restored vintage bikes. If I lived in the NOLA area, I would most likely be driving him berserk with questions.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 04-02-07, 07:02 PM
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You found a bike and a LBS that are both comfortable , thats a good start or back into bike riding.
Old 04-03-07, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the support and maintenance advice! I've had the bike 4 days, and have had 4 rides. Before anyone gets impressed, however, they've all been short rides (1st was 20 minutes, and they've gradually increased to 30 minutes). Someone here on the forums said to just keep riding so long as you were happy, even if you weren't fast or doing long distances, and eventually both would come. Hopefully that will be true for me too . Unfortunately I am chaperoning an overnight retreat tomorrow, so no biking for me. But I'll be back on it Thursday! Happy riding!
Old 09-06-16, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Venture 3.0

I've had a big box store mountain bike for a couple of years with lots of upgrades and repairs.
This summer I got a Raleigh Venture 3.0. I ride 10-25 miles on most days, with my longest being slightly over 50 miles.
Since I started cycling, I've lost over 140#
I was in my mid forties and knew I needed a lifestyle change.
When I exercise I diet. When I don't exercise, I don't diet. One of my idiosyncrasies.

Point is, enjoy the ride. I have.