Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modern "Classic" shoes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Modern "Classic" shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 223 Posts
The Giro Republik is on sale at Bike Tires Direct, 60% off and they have a few sizes.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...lx-r-shoe?sg=1
Old 06-21-20, 01:24 PM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 768 Posts
Who actually makes the Mendrisio Corsa shoes? I see them for sale on several websites (here and here and here for example), but it doesn't seem like any of them are the actual manufacturer. They look interesting, but it's not clear whether replacement cleats are available or if cleats come with the shoes. In addition, images show the cleat holes oriented two different ways, front-to-back and side-by-side. It seems the manufacturer might be Ribó in Spain, but I can't find a website for such a company.
Old 06-21-20, 03:44 PM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked 4,642 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Who actually makes the Mendrisio Corsa shoes? I see them for sale on several websites (here and here and here for example), but it doesn't seem like any of them are the actual manufacturer. They look interesting, but it's not clear whether replacement cleats are available or if cleats come with the shoes. In addition, images show the cleat holes oriented two different ways, front-to-back and side-by-side. It seems the manufacturer might be Ribó in Spain, but I can't find a website for such a company.
Ribó was/is is shoemaker who was working for Proou. Magliamo took over that brand a couple of years ago.

Nice stuff. Mrs non-fixie bought a pair of these from them recently:

BTW, I got myself a pair of these last week:
Originally Posted by Johno59

Holdsworth from Planet X. I got these and very happy. Go well with old school strap on pedals.
They are nice, but less orange-y than in the picture. I'll admit I was slightly disappointed with the actual color.

Tested them today, and they are excellent with clips and straps:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-09-20, 09:49 PM

Bikes: Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just got my pair of shoes from 2Velo, in red! Also came with a cool burlap sack, brush and shoe cream. I didn't pick shoes off the website but he showed me a few colors he can do, including a dark tan as well. (My shoes are not the red swatch shown). Will take a bit of time if you do a non-standard order.

Haven't ridden with them but they fit well and the leather feels very pliable, and slim.

Likes For Beachcycle:
Old 12-18-21, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have some great pairs of Leatt's. They are long-lasting 3.0 flat pedal shoes with no compromise on style, comfort, and control, which is greatly important to many of us. All I want while biking is a confident grip, no matter what the trail is. Besides, the sticky sole keeps me securely on the pedals, no matter how rough the path. Or whether the weather is rainy, dusty, or muddy. Add to that the comfortable and convenient sportswear I have been ordering for a long time on forstep style, and the best time is assured. That's why I love cycling.

Last edited by genezimer; 12-21-21 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 04:52 PM

Bikes: Cicli Monti, milanese district Baggio by Losa ca. 1983 / gibi - Gianbattista Baronchelli Columbus SL 80s GPM CronoSpecial & Exploit + Modolo Super Prestige / Rivola 437 ca. 1982 Massalomabrda, Emilia-Romagna, by Gianni Rivola / Peloso '69 Alessandria

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
accquired july 2023

Ribó
Likes For Ravi1990:
Old 07-10-23, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ravi1990
Ribó
I have a pair as well. They aren't the stiffest shoes in the world, but they look the part and do the job well enough.
Old 07-10-23, 06:48 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings,

I am in desperate need of a "touring shoe" that is stiff and works well with toe-clips and straps. I am riding with an ancient pair of Shimano shoes I bought back in like 1997 or so. Fortunately I rode clipless for 20 of those years and these got limited use, but they are wearing out now.... I'm finding for the first time that my feet are getting a little "asleep" on long rides if I don't wiggle my toes around a lot every few miles.

Where did you get these Ribo shoes? Is there a Stateside vendor?

Andrew
Old 07-10-23, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by MonAndrew77
Where did you get these Ribo shoes? Is there a Stateside vendor?
No US vendors that I'm aware of. I bought mine from a vendor in Belgium (can't recall the name, but can poke around if need be).
Old 07-10-23, 08:01 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cool I really liked the advice to just watch eBay. I'm confident I can find a pair of "touring" shoes if I am patient. I'm basically searching on my size and likely brands and/or perhaps the word "touring" and maybe "cycling." Any other strings one might suggest? What I want is a stiff shoe that has a reasonable sole for use with a toeclip and strap........
Old 07-10-23, 08:24 PM

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 683 Posts
I only have “toe clip” pedals. The Vittoria are my go too. Found a good deal and bought 3 pair

Old 07-11-23, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 229 Posts
Ow if you want to spend a bit of money, these look nice….

https://dromarti.com
Old 07-11-23, 10:45 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 2,853 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Ow if you want to spend a bit of money, these look nice….

https://dromarti.com
They are very very nice. the craftsmanship is amazing

They don't build for wide feet, but with some patience, shoe stretchers and a bunion bump targeted shoe stretcher I have them working with my flint stone feet and am happy with them (returns would not be easy so I took a flyer knowing I might have issue and knowing I had all the shoe torture devices)

I got the touring with spd and am happy and expect to be happier with more miles as they further mold to my feet

Old 07-11-23, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
BLECH! = plastic soles; clipless; narrow, plastic uppers; pointy toes; sizing that calls a Euro 46 equal to a US size 12; $300 pricing with no option to return

In my lifetime I have had nothing but trouble getting a good fit in shoes.

If I cannot try them on to test the fit, I am not interested.

That does not preclude international internet sales but there has to be a no cost (or very low cost) option to return them.

Almost certainly, this means a local fitting and purchase (REI?).

Last edited by Bad Lag; 08-27-23 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-11-23, 01:45 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When I first started touring the only bike shoes were ones with metal cleats nailed to the sole. Try being inconspicuous when you tap dance your way into a store or cafe. I love the moutain bike type shoes that are easy and quiet to walk around with on solid surfaces.

When I bought two pairs of bikes shoes I found that sizing was not consistent. Even with shoes from the same company a 44 with one model would be OK and with a different model I needed to go to a size 45. I bought at least 10 pair and did returns to get the two pair that fit my feet.

Some companies shoe lasts are better for wide feet or better for narrow feet or are better at the heels and with the shoes being made in Asia there is no longer any consistency in this area and it is a matter of trial and error to find shoes that will fit.
Old 07-11-23, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I only have “toe clip” pedals. The Vittoria are my go too. Found a good deal and bought 3 pair
Nice shoes, but your socks need some work.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 07-12-23, 07:57 PM
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I'm a many years fan of Onitsuka's Mexico 66 shoes.

I have quite wide feet (buy W, EE and even EEE typically), but they fit into these shoes really well, fit well into pedals equipped with straps and toe clips, make it easy to get into the pedals, have a thin but reasonably supportive sole that isolates the bottoms of my feet from pedal cages (though I'm happiest using MKS GR-9 or Urban Platform pedals). They're also very comfortable to wear walking, and very light. They come in a bunch of colorways, which get changed every once in awhile, and while I ride the classic laced models, they also come in slip-ons. Onitsuka's "Serrano" model is very similar, having a more molded heel counter, weighing a bit more, but equally comfortable, with the same fit pretty much. I must have owned about 10 pair, and probably still use about 7 of those, rotating them; they hold up well, keep their shape, and don't wear out in the toe clip area either. I've never used cleats, and don't care for them. Roughly cost $120 retail, but they go on sale occasionally.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 07-14-23, 01:24 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked 6,417 Times in 3,694 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Nice shoes, but your socks need some work.
You do know its 2023, right?
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-26-23, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravi1990
accquired july 2023

Ribó
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I have a pair as well. They aren't the stiffest shoes in the world, but they look the part and do the job well enough.
How would you describe the width of these shoes? My feet are medium wide. Modern Sidis fit me fine. Back in the age of the Nuovo Record Dinosaurs I wore Adidas, couldn't squeeze into the Dettos and Duegis.

I've been scared off by the Vittoria website which states that the 1976s "tend to run narrow."

Brent

Old 08-27-23, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by obrentharris
How would you describe the width of these shoes? My feet are medium wide.
I bought my Ribós from a Belgian seller. ISTR they had me draw outlines of my feet, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Edit: Width is fine for me (size 12D). The leather is pretty thin/supple, so they mold to your feet pretty well.
Likes For smontanaro:
Old 08-27-23, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Vintage looking shoes are great, and getting a pair is on my "to do" list.... I'd also ike to find a NOS Bell Biker I helmet too. I used to have one in red.... dang! I wish I hadn't got rid of it.....
Old 08-27-23, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by non-fixie
And if you ride a Japanese bike, these are a must, IMO:

Wow! Who made these? I have a white Japanese bike that is begging me to wear a pair of these while riding it.
Brent

Old 08-27-23, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
Vintage looking shoes are great, and getting a pair is on my "to do" list.... I'd also ike to find a NOS Bell Biker I helmet too. I used to have one in red.... dang! I wish I hadn't got rid of it.....
Not NOS but pretty darn clean on ebay HERE.
Brent

Old 08-27-23, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Not NOS but pretty darn clean on ebay HERE.
Brent
missing the sizing, sweat pads BUT, Expanded Polystyrene is not designed to last 30+ years, not even close. It gets harder, the plasticizers degass.
Old 08-27-23, 10:42 PM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Is there any way to know, without trying them on, whether a maker's shoes run small or large or are a perfect fit for the size stated on the label? Is there tribal knowledge on this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.