Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 03:49 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
No birthday ride for me today, but my wife did take me out for a pedicure (not my first time ). Very relaxing.
When we got home my new paddle was waiting. Didn't order it for a bday present. Just something I need for my new activity -- dragon boat racing. And my new Tifosi cycling sunglasses came in the mail. I'll wear them tomorrow when I go out with the Withlacoochee Trail Riders.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-19-13, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
No birthday ride for me today, but my wife did take me out for a pedicure (not my first time ). Very relaxing.
When we got home my new paddle was waiting. Didn't order it for a bday present. Just something I need for my new activity -- dragon boat racing. And my new Tifosi cycling sunglasses came in the mail. I'll wear them tomorrow when I go out with the Withlacoochee Trail Riders.
i plan on doing this trail this winter, will be comming from Knoxville, and would like to find a motel in the middle of the trail. Any suggestions? thanks
Old 12-19-13, 03:48 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
I am 71 and had been suffering bad neck and shoulder pain on rides over 35 mi on my specialized s works Tarmac in the last 6 months. I even used a short 35 deg. stem with lots of spacers. I thought I would get an S Works Roubaix but tried Cannondale's new Hi Mod Synapse, Felt's Z2 and the Roubaix. The last bike I tried was a Trek Domane. I was amazed at the bump and rough asphalt damping on the Trek and ended up with a 6 series with DA 9000. So far I have ridden up to 50 mile rides on the bike with about 3500 feet of climbing. The neck and shoulder problems have almost gone. I was able to get a 22 cm head tube so am higher but of course slower into the wind. I guess we try to ride race frames as long as possible. The Domane doesn't have the snap of the Tarmac but still climbs well and is stiff out of the saddle on sprinters hills.
$210 a mile...

Old 12-19-13, 06:10 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
and worth every penny!
Old 12-19-13, 06:34 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
and worth every penny!
And much more Fun than sitting in a Dr's office.

Old 12-19-13, 10:29 PM

Bikes: '92 Merlin Extralight, '19 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Just read the last 11 pages of this thread after being directed to it from a post I just made in the 50+ thread. Wonderful place this is!! Great reading all the cool posts from fellow, um, mature riders. I'm 66 and back riding for 8 months after a looong hiatus. It's been great being back on my Merlin Extralight that I built in the early 90's. I'm very pleased to be close to my riding level of 20 years ago. I'm thrilled to be back into it in a serious way and bought myself a new high end bike.....a Giant Propel Advanced 2. I'm not riding at a level yet to fully realize the benefits of this aero bike, but I fell in love and said "What the hell, it can't hurt to have aero". I'll be visiting regularly and look forward to reading more interesting tales.
Old 12-20-13, 03:21 PM
Life is good

Originally Posted by zx9rmal
It's been great being back on my Merlin Extralight that I built in the early 90's.
I'm thrilled to be back into it in a serious way and bought myself a new high end bike.....a Giant Propel Advanced 2.
You don't consider the Merlin to be a high end bike? When I bought my Litespeed in 2001 I couldn't afford the price jump to a Merlin.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-22-13, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Turned 81 this month.
Got in just over 5,000 miles so far (12-22-13) this year.
Still riding tandem with my wife (she's *only* 78) and still ride my single couple times a week.
Life is good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture0005.jpg (38.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-23-13, 06:44 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Turned 81 this month.
Still riding tandem with my wife (she's *only* 78) and still ride my single couple times a week.
Life is good!
fantastic, I envy your weather
Old 12-23-13, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Domane

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
$210 a mile...
Liked your comment on the Domane. I got one about a year ago and fitted it with a BionX kit. What a fabulous combination. I know the purists look down on us old guys using some assist, but at 71 with some health issues, the motor lets me get 30+ miles from time to time without putting me out for a week. The Domane is a great bike and the BionX makes it even better.
Old 12-23-13, 11:23 AM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Wondering how many of you have tried the "Strava" upgrade. I am 71 and embarrassed after comparing my times on routes with others over 65. The only thing I seem to be good at is descending. Hopefully I can find ways to up my fitness that I am not using? My current tools are weight work-outs once per week with 1 hr. spin class, 150 mi per week minimum with around 8000 feet total climbing, at least one peloton ride for speed. At this rate I may never return to the TT. Getting old should be better! But I do enjoy seeing the scenery I never saw before about age 66, just saw back wheels.
Old 12-23-13, 12:18 PM
Life is good

69 here. I tried Strava. Too complicated and some info I'm interested in, some I'm not. So I use the CycleMeter app on my iPhone.

Old 12-23-13, 01:13 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am 71 and had been suffering bad neck and shoulder pain on rides over 35 mi on my specialized s works Tarmac in the last 6 months. I even used a short 35 deg. stem with lots of spacers. I thought I would get an S Works Roubaix but tried Cannondale's new Hi Mod Synapse, Felt's Z2 and the Roubaix. The last bike I tried was a Trek Domane. I was amazed at the bump and rough asphalt damping on the Trek and ended up with a 6 series with DA 9000. So far I have ridden up to 50 mile rides on the bike with about 3500 feet of climbing. The neck and shoulder problems have almost gone. I was able to get a 22 cm head tube so am higher but of course slower into the wind. I guess we try to ride race frames as long as possible. The Domane doesn't have the snap of the Tarmac but still climbs well and is stiff out of the saddle on sprinters hills.
Ha, when I grow up, I wanna be just like you!!

You know, we might need a thread of 70 and older.. That would give us some distance from the YOUNGER CROWD!!!
Old 12-23-13, 01:15 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
69 here. I tried Strava. Too complicated and some info I'm interested in, some I'm not. So I use the CycleMeter app on my iPhone.
If I read correctly, a "happy belated birthday" is in order here!!

BTW, you are still a youngster to us elders...
Old 12-23-13, 01:17 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Turned 81 this month.
Life is good!
Ya da man!!

Super man with wife!!
Old 12-23-13, 01:52 PM

Unfortunately, my 954 Honda sits in the garage due to neck issues. I may have to turn it in for a "BMW gentleman's bike"....instead of the "Desmo" I wanted.
Old 12-23-13, 02:01 PM
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Turned 81 this month.
Life is good!
You two bless all our socks off, have a great birthday month and Merry Christmas
R&J
Old 12-25-13, 11:10 AM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
71 (today) here and am going to try the strava this coming season (mainly so I know the feet of climbs vs guessing) I have an edge here as the designer of the website my club has is a geek and has already explained much of what I need to know about using this. I did some respectable times on the road race courses last season and just may try cat 5 (first time competing in 30 years)next season. Here's my view..the older we get the less competition in our age group. "outlast the competition"!
Old 12-26-13, 08:38 AM
Life is good

Originally Posted by cehowardGS
BTW, you are still a youngster to us elders...

When I lived in Atlanta I was usually the oldest rider in a group.
Now that I live in Florida I'm one of the younger riders and many of the 70+ crowd can whip my butt.

Old 12-29-13, 02:59 PM

Back when I was racing 50+ I used to tell myself "these guys will die out and then I can win". Guess what! All they did was retire early and really train. Nobody died and I still didn't win crits and road races, they still did..
Old 12-30-13, 08:19 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Back when I was racing 50+ I used to tell myself "these guys will die out and then I can win". Guess what! All they did was retire early and really train. Nobody died and I still didn't win crits and road races, they still did..
I've found the same thing with my running. I used to think I'd place higher in my AG (age group) after 60, but what has happened is that all the more casual runners have dropped out and only the real athletes are keeping with it. So now I am sometimes in the bottom half of the field, but if I were 10 years younger with the same time, I'd be in the upper third! Maybe I should just start lying about my age...
Old 12-31-13, 11:51 AM
Life is good

Happy Birthday zonatandem. 81 -- WOW!!. I hope I live that long. My dad died at 71 and my mother at 80.

Old 01-02-14, 07:27 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Happy Birthday zonatandem. 81 -- WOW!!. I hope I live that long. My dad died at 71 and my mother at 80.
I should have died a long time ago, since my dad died at 51 from a coronary and my mom at 54 from cancer. I'm 67-1/2 with no serious health issues.

Anyway, this week I'm going to test ride a Cervelo R3 to see if I want to get my first ever full carbon bike after a lifetime of riding only metallic bikes.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-03-14, 06:35 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ron, I plan on comming down and do that trail, where would be the best place to stay, sort of in the middle of the trail? 16 degrees in Knoxville, no riding in sight
Old 01-03-14, 02:50 PM
Life is good

We're in the middle of snow-bird season so many places are booked. Not sure how many days or weeks you will be here but try searching for weekly rentals in Inverness, Hernando, or Floral City. We stayed in Hernando in Feb-March 2012. We liked the area so much we moved here.
We rented a place on Lake Tsala Apopka in Hernando. It was 1.5 miles to the bike trail. I rode past a few pastures and the local post office to get to the trail.
Here are a few houses in the area where we stayed. Nice places.
https://www.lakesidevacationsvillas.net/

This places looks like one of the houses that was close to where we stayed.
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...paign=10781999

Good luck and let us know when you'll be here. We can set up a BF ride with other members in the area.

FYI: It was cold today thanks to the cold weather up north. The high was ~48F and windy. Tomorrow will be nicer. Supposed to be ~70F with light winds so I'll be riding.

Last edited by RonH; 01-03-14 at 02:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.