Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1983 Specialized Expedition Build! - 62cm CTC (63.5cm CTT)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1983 Specialized Expedition Build! - 62cm CTC (63.5cm CTT)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
A number of years ago I ran a few pairs of Vuelta Corsa Lites. ~1600g for the wheelset, 19.5mm wide rim (outer), semi-deep V profile. There was this odd sort of harshness about them. The TB14s have a similar feel, albeit amplified. I wasn't expecting it, and depending on the tires and the frame the wheels go on, that can be helped or exacerbated. Large tires (35mm Paselas or 38mm Supple Vitesse EX's) quell a lot of it, but it's still there to me.
This keeps on getting more relevant for me. I run Vuelta Corsa Lites on the lightest and fastest of my C&V bikes. It's definitely a 40-mile bike. Anything more and it'll wear you out. I've always attributed this to the racing geometry and 531c tubing. Probably several factors contributing to it but I never thought the Corsa Lites could be a culprit. I may try running my spare set of Kysrium SLs just to see if I notice a difference.

On a related note, I built a set of Ambrosio Excellence wheels on my Circuit and found the ride to be excessively harsh. I had them mated to a fresh set of Vittoria Open Pave EVO CG III tires which turned out to be the cause. Swapped them out for a set of Schwalbe Ones and and the Circuit felt like a totally different bike. Love the Ambrosios now
Old 09-16-20, 05:27 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
This keeps on getting more relevant for me. I run Vuelta Corsa Lites on the lightest and fastest of my C&V bikes. It's definitely a 40-mile bike. Anything more and it'll wear you out. I've always attributed this to the racing geometry and 531c tubing. Probably several factors contributing to it but I never thought the Corsa Lites could be a culprit. I may try running my spare set of Kysrium SLs just to see if I notice a difference.

On a related note, I built a set of Ambrosio Excellence wheels on my Circuit and found the ride to be excessively harsh. I had them mated to a fresh set of Vittoria Open Pave EVO CG III tires which turned out to be the cause. Swapped them out for a set of Schwalbe Ones and and the Circuit felt like a totally different bike. Love the Ambrosios now
It is incredible once one starts paying more attention to things, or at least giving air time to "well that's interesting" observations. Old Continental Grand Prix 24mm tires did not help any bike I put them on--almost made me sell my Davidson Impulse back when I had just bought it (frameset). The Vueltas on my 1988 Trek 560 felt a little harsh after a while, but things were much better when I ported them and every other component onto the Impulse.

So much "suspension and shock tuning" going on between frameset, wheels and tires. Older Vittoria Open Corsa CX's (Evo and non-Evo, 320 tpi) ride livelier than the new Corsas, they just lack that tan wall. My go-to modern super light wheelset is the Dura-Ace WH-7850 / pre-C24. 10-speed, so people sell them cheaper. 1431g for the set, but never mushy or flexy. Perfect blend of lively and damping, which they do a very good job of. [that carbon-over-aluminum low box section design in fully-aluminum 1650g form as Ultegra 6700 wheels made for a really stiff-riding wheelset. It may have taken bumps better than the TB14s, but you felt everything on the road]

I'll run across bikes that are reluctant to rock back and forth with me out of the saddle. My 1985 Paramount was like this. Switch the wheels and tires from whatever they were to ones with MA2 rims and those Open Corsas and all of a sudden there is a willingness to rock / work with me. Some give via rim and/or tire is really helpful. Takes some of the hit out of old Cannondales if you read a road wrongly.

My 7400/MA2 duo employed their 'softening' effect on my 1981 Trek 716 (full DB 531), with supple 30mm tires, and it made that bike a bit mushy. That wheel combination on my 'strong frame' '74 Paramount softened it right to the point of me not wanting it any softer, but made for a great ride. That P15 is the most versatile frame of my fleet, with the Expedition nearly there, or there but in a different way.

I'd like these 7400/MA2s to get some time on my Superbe Pro-equipped Davidson Signature, but they are in high demand as a touring bike wheelset, so I'll have to refrain, or build up some other wheelset. The Signature is also sensitive to wheel/tire combos and definitely has an all-day sort of mindset about it. The TB14s don't fully cooperate on that end, but if the road is super smooth, they make for a great ally to the frame and overall ride quality. You feel like a million bucks on rollers and descents with those things, especially knowing that the dark grey finish, silver spokes, and tan wall tires have you, er...the bike, looking good doing so.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 09-16-20 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
RiddleOfSteel , it’s amazing to see the similarities in our stables. In addition to my roached Specialized Expedition, I also have a Waterford Paramount frameset far down in the queue that I had been thinking of trying TB14s hard ano on. And then there’s my Davidson Impulse frameset in a very slow build pattern. That one’s going to get Ambrosio Excellence rims and an Ultegra 9spd triple group. Don’t know if I’ll ever get around to building the Trek 760 frameset I bought here but I sure like having another option on the list. Along the way, the 80’s Schwinns seem to have multiplied like rabbits.

Anyway, I’ll say again, love your Expedition
Likes For plonz:
Old 08-14-23, 04:16 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Oooh, just found this thread. Updates? Still have the bike?