Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Winnipeg and Need a Bicycle...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuck in Winnipeg and Need a Bicycle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 06:10 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked 1,766 Times in 946 Posts
Hi Randy, you mean you found all those bikes in two weeks of being here???

You can forget the dump as a source (i.e. 4R depots). Those are under armed guard and saved for "The Wrench".
Some belong to family members, but the road bikes, yes and several more road bikes, to be honest. Sadly, the guy with the Peugeot Centennial went back on his offer to sell the bike to me. He listed it on Kijiji for $150.00 more than he offer it to me for. Thanks to another fellow, I learned that the Peugeot Centennial has listed it as a Peugot, rather than Peugeot. I emailed him, a bit peeved off I should add, to let him know about his listing error. The listing was changed in short order and I never heard from him again.

C'est domage, pour moi, mais c'est la vie. Eh.
Old 04-14-20, 08:02 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 212 Posts
It's ok Randy, you're a seasoned vet yet Winnipeg is not for the squeamish. But, I thought you just wanted "A" bike to ride while you're stuck in the Peg and not compiling a fleet to flip. What gives?
Old 04-14-20, 09:29 AM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

It's ok Randy, you're a seasoned vet yet Winnipeg is not for the squeamish. But, I thought you just wanted "A" bike to ride while you're stuck in the Peg and not compiling a fleet to flip. What gives?
Believe me, I don't want to buy even one bike. I already have enough. But, being stranded, sort of, here in Winnipeg, i want to find just one bike to ride. I prefer something older, early seventies or older. That failing, something newer, with at least eight speeds and brifters. I do not mind paying a fair price.

I have had a chance to view and/or purchase at least a dozen bikes, most of which were of minimal interest (Supercycle quality) or too expensive.

So, all I hope to find is A bicycle to ride and then store at my daughter's place in Winnipeg. Sadly, I found this Bianchi wearing Team Proctor livery and had intended to refurbish it and then bring it to the Peg. I should not have put it off, but I did. Anyway, this is the bike that my grand son and I found at the dump one day last summer (fork is good but rear rim is really bent...
Old 04-14-20, 09:41 AM

For what it is worth, I just might end up riding this old five speed step through and I have no problem doing so. The bike is free (needs new 27" tires and will try to get them in a day or so, when I did my car out of winter storage (we park it and cover it up with snow every winter). Anyway, if Canadian Tire has a couple of Kenda hoops, the Sprite will be good to go. And, as soon as winter does GO, I will ride it, unless something of more interest comes along. I do intend to raise the stem more, though..:-)
Old 04-14-20, 10:15 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7372 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,467 Posts
How much snow is on the ground now?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-14-20, 01:19 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 2,878 Times in 1,570 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
For what it is worth, I just might end up riding this old five speed step through and I have no problem doing so. The bike is free (needs new 27" tires and will try to get them in a day or so, when I did my car out of winter storage (we park it and cover it up with snow every winter). Anyway, if Canadian Tire has a couple of Kenda hoops, the Sprite will be good to go. And, as soon as winter does GO, I will ride it, unless something of more interest comes along. I do intend to raise the stem more, though..:-)
that would be a bit of a styling ride

Old 04-14-20, 01:39 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by noglider
How much snow is on the ground now?
Nothing really of note. A few stubborn unmelted holdover piles in the shade mainly. The rabbits and geese are eating the young grass shoots here and there. We're 10c below normal for this time of year. I miss normal... bad.
Old 04-14-20, 03:20 PM

Nothing really of note. A few stubborn unmelted holdover piles in the shade mainly. The rabbits and geese are eating the young grass shoots here and there. We're 10c below normal for this time of year. I miss normal... bad.
Put another way, brrrrr pooey-stinko! It is pretty darn uncomfortable out there right now, thanks to the unrelenting prairie winds.
Old 04-14-20, 03:26 PM

Styling ride is bang on the money. Won't bother with SPDs for this one. Just easy pedaling around the neighborhood. And...

Just went out with my son-in-law to snag a set of 27" tires and inner tubes for the Raleigh. No dice. Canadian Tire no longer carries them. Will try Super Store tomorrow morning during seniors shopping time. That said...

I am stunned at the number of people who seem to care less about social distancing, wearing masks or gloves. What is wrong with us? Oh, ya, many of us function under the umbrella of "it won't get or hurt me"...
Old 04-14-20, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
That Raleigh reminds me of one I kept around to lend out to people visiting me. Same color, but mine was a bit older so it had the Huret Allvit derailleur. I think I put 27" wheels on it so that the aluminum rims could improve the braking, and because I always have a ton of 27" wheels lying around. They did fit and the brakes worked, but I can't remember if I changed the brakes or if the fenders were even still there. It had an old worn-out Cyclo branded freewheel that I didn't have a remover for, and the old rims were really rusty so I threw them away except for the excellent Raleigh axles and hardware, which are on other bikes now.

Occasionally I had to ride it across town and it always surprised me with its performance. Once I passed a roadie in full spandex, but I don't think he was really trying..
Old 04-14-20, 06:43 PM
Banned.

Hi Randy, perhaps this one will help tide you over until you return to more familiar grazing grounds. It has a "Campagnola Gropuset". Pull a "Pegger" by offering him $75 and a "c'monnnn".

Old 04-14-20, 07:19 PM

Hi Randy, perhaps this one will help tide you over until you return to more familiar grazing grounds. It has a "Campagnola Gropuset". Pull a "Pegger" by offering him $75 and a "c'monnnn".
Not sure about the $75.00 (joking) but I would have no problem groveling and coaxing to buy that bike. I had one a bit too large, years ago, and wish I still had it. What a wonderful bike to ride.

The one shown, where is it and is it for sale. I would drop a few bucks for that steed. Where can it be found?
Old 04-14-20, 07:55 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7372 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,467 Posts
Ten degrees below normal? I'm a bit traumatized by our climate change, and we've mostly had above-normal temperatures. I enjoy the weather but not the climate, if you know what I mean. One result of the mild winter we had is that we have too many ticks. My wife had a deer tick in her shoulder. I pulled it out, and she sent it to a lab for testing. My granddog has picked up a lot of dog ticks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-14-20, 08:02 PM
Banned.

Ummm, the guy wants $1250 for it. You surely can't make an end on that. New replacement in around the $2500 mark he says.

Ah yes, the famous wind here. 4th windiest in the Country. It. Never. Stops.

Flags are almost always parallel to the ground. Lately, realtor signs have been pushed to 25 degrees from plumb and just stay there. I was speaking with a guy whose son is on the Provincial Bike team. He mentioned one time they were going down stateside to race against teams down there. The local teams' bikes were good, just not tops. The american teams were outfitted with all the latest stuff. Despite this, the local team wiped the floor with them. It's this G.D. wind. I'd live someplace else if I could (seriously).
Old 04-15-20, 05:37 AM

Well, pandemic or no pandemic, my wife and I are going to take a chance and head for the lake cottage. We will buy our groceries here, in Winnipeg, fill up with gas here, take bleach soaked rags with us just in case we need a rest room stop on the five hundred mile drive.

With that in mind, pretty soon I will be able to get the pile of birch fire wood out of the driveway (had to stop putting it away when I blew out my knee last fall), finish the last six or seven boards to complete a new floor (again, my damaged knee made it impossible to work on a floor), and paint the cottage. That is my summer work load and I cannot wait to get at it.

As for fun, I ride this...

Finish this...

And put this back together...

I am, however, still hoping to buy a bike to leave in Winnipeg, since I spend a month or two there each year. If nothing shows up, before I leave for Ontario, then the Quintanna Roo will become my Peg steed...
Old 04-15-20, 06:10 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 893 Times in 429 Posts
How much snow did Thunder Bay get Monday? Here in the UP of MI we got over a foot in most areas.
I can't find the firewood in my yard that needs to be stacked, totally buried...
Old 04-15-20, 10:51 AM

How much snow did Thunder Bay get Monday? Here in the UP of MI we got over a foot in most areas.
I can't find the firewood in my yard that needs to be stacked, totally buried...
Not really sure how much snow is there as I am still stuck in Winnipeg. I did call a buddy, who lives in Thunder Bay. He said that there is very little, if any, snow, however; it was just starting to snow, apparently.

Last fall, the day after I damaged my knee the guy I buy birch firewood from dropped of the load that I had ordered the day before I banged myself up. I did try to put stack it but gave up. The next day, while dragging my water pump up from the lake (yup, the dog-gone pipes froze up during the night), I slipped and fell again, this time hurting my arm. Good grief.

Anyway, off to Thunder Bay as soon as Mother Nature warms us up.
Old 04-16-20, 06:04 PM
Banned.

Here ya go Randy, a nice & highly profitable bike. Sick 'em!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bik...-00/1496565097

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTcxWDgwMA==/z/jGMAAOSw6qpemO4B/$_59.JPG
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTcxWDgwMA==/z/HaAAAOSwJVJemO4M/$_59.JPG
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDQ4MA==/z/ZoQAAOSwaXNemO4V/$_59.JPG
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/2D4AAOSw3ademO6m/$_59.JPG
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTMzWDgwMA==/z/q4MAAOSw1dVemO6-/$_59.JPG
Old 04-16-20, 06:30 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 2,060 Times in 1,258 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Here ya go Randy, a nice & highly profitable bike. Sick 'em!
Bargain (in Canada anyway). I want it.
Old 04-16-20, 07:52 PM

The hunt is over, for now anyway. Picked up this sixties something Torpdo Professional an hour,or so, ago. It is a wee bit big but I have ridden big bikes before...

Old 04-16-20, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 81 Posts
Nice! My first "real" bike was a Torpado.
Old 04-16-20, 09:52 PM

Thought you might get a kick out of this. The original owner was the father of the fellow I bought the bike from. His dad raced the bike back in the sixties. Here is a picture of the bike and rider, back then. And, some of the medals that he won racing (the picture and medals did not come with the bike)...

Old 04-17-20, 02:19 AM
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 536 Posts
Nice bike, have fun with it.
Old 04-17-20, 03:20 AM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 1,800 Posts
VERY nice bike. With a VERY nice history, too. Well done!

Old 04-17-20, 08:19 AM
Banned.

Well I'll be hornswaggled! I thought that guy had sold it. At least that is what he said last year on the phone. I never did get over there. Wasn't interested in the bike, just the local cycling history anecdotes.

1960's Tornado w/ box O' Campy

Randy, it was meant to be. You are definetely a died-in-the-wool addict... haha. Next time I am looking for a specific bike, you are hired.

Did you get all the parts too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.