Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Downside to physical Healthy Aging

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 06:06 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I find your statements somewhat judgemental as in you can't see suicide as a legitimate option. I'm of the opinion if need be, and I can, it will be to choose my time to exit. I have older, twin sisters, both suffered from Alzheimer 's. One has already passed away after many years of suffering. The other sister is in advanced stages now and in a facility. Because of Covid, I haven't been able to see her for months. I will not put my wife through this.
No, I think suicide is a valid option. There are many good ways to do it. My concern is that acquiring a firearm is so easy and pulling the trigger is so easy that we lose good and useful people early in their lives who don't need to be lost to their friends and family. I have friends who used suicide when they had to and I agreed with their decision, as did all their friends and family. That's entirely different and none of them used firearms. It's too bad that we torture our elderly and their families. We should all have our EOL paper signed and handy and our families informed of our wishes. Easier said than done, but once one is demented, unassisted suicide is no longer an option. I don't know the solution, but it's not murder. We need changes in our laws, hard to get done with state sponsored religion in charge. If one is still has one's faculties intact, everything is a lot simpler. My mom always told me she'd suicide, but when the time came, she'd lost it and couldn't and actually had a lot of fun, boyfriends in every facility, quite the woman, still knew who I was and happy at the end. It doesn't always end badly.
Old 06-21-20, 03:14 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

At 78 I take about 12 pills per day for various medical conditions. I find riding hard on group rides where most riders are 20 years younger covers up all those conditions from which some doctors have told me they don't know why I am still here. Perhaps I have some dementia which is good because I forget the pain of the last competitive rides and am ready to do them again the next weekend. Admittedly, I do now use a coach and do interval training during the week along with endurance and recovery rides. Perhaps there is a national championship waiting for me at 80.