Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking of clipping in.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thinking of clipping in.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 01:18 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
SH56 will release on a modest upward pull by design. For this reason, I find them scary to ride with.
I can see how tricky the SH56 can be for people who do gravel and mountain biking. I ride on-road most of the time and am admittedly very clumsy, so being able to unclip quickly to avoid falling comes in handy.

SH51 will release on a sharp upward pull before your bones snap in a crash, like ski bindings.
I didn't know that. I suppose that's a safety feature.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-28-23, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8334 Post(s)
Liked 9,168 Times in 4,521 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Apparently.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I once read that there is some kind of neurochemical reward some get if they believe they've figured out something nobody else has.
A friend has told me this is why some people are conspiracy theorists.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-28-23, 01:27 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5038 Post(s)
Liked 8,262 Times in 3,903 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I can see how tricky the SH56 can be for people who do gravel and mountain biking.
Unpredictable pedal release is not something I want for a bike I'm riding in rough terrain.
Old 06-28-23, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
No, it wouldn't. Many studies with power measuring pedals show that the only time people pull up is at very slow speeds, typically when climbing. We simply don't have the coordination to pull up when spinning any reasonable cadence. This applies to professionals and proficient amateurs alike. Pulling up is a myth. Now cure the folks who say/believe they pull up, but actually don't.
When I was younger I would sprint hard and the rear wheel would hop off the ground. I also pull up when I bunny-hop something, like a pothole or a snake. I suppose people can bunny- hop with flat pedals but being clipped in makes it easier.

I don't know why some are so dogmatic about not being able to pull up. When I try to spin with power I try to concentrate on a smooth circle. This involves intentionally forcing a circle. Do I make any power when pulling up? I don't know but I wouldn't say it's not possible.

Besides, the question of power is moot. Foot retention is about more than power on the upstroke.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-28-23, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 307 Posts
As some of you may recall, I'm decidedly in the flat pedal camp. While I may not agree with Beng entirely in his post, the fact remains that so far as efficiency and that mythical power on the up-stroke legend... well, there's plenty of evidence that is hyperbole. The real benefit, as I see it, are keeping the foot in constant contact with a specific location on the pedal. A lot of people feel more secure with this. If that's what you're looking for, then ya, try them out. If you are under the mistaken impression that you will magically cut your time on a given route by 10%, then save your money for something else.

I did try both the SPD and Look variations on my bikes for a couple months. I never got comfortable with them. In fact, I just did not like them at all. I'm pretty happy with regular flat pedals. But I know I'm in the minority here.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 06-28-23, 01:53 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10498 Post(s)
Liked 12,024 Times in 6,155 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A friend has told me this is why some people are conspiracy theorists.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-28-23, 01:55 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10498 Post(s)
Liked 12,024 Times in 6,155 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Unpredictable pedal release is not something I want for a bike I'm riding in rough terrain.
ftfy.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-23, 02:13 PM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
Liked 6,525 Times in 3,236 Posts
Foot retention is about more than power on the upstroke.
For me, it's about being in the bike, not merely on it. And I know I'm exponentially more safe. I feel faaarrrrrrrr more safe. So I can ride at a much greater speed with great confidence, pedaling or not.

​​​​
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-28-23, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,715 Posts
When I was younger I would sprint hard and the rear wheel would hop off the ground.
Avoidance of hopping the rear wheel in sprints is one of the first things track sprinters learn. And it definitely takes some learning, since sprint track bikes are designed to shift the rider's weight down and forward compared to road bikes.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-28-23, 03:16 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
ftfy.
Definitely true, though speaking for myself, I've never unpredictably unclipped using the SH56 cleats. For those who experience that, SH51 will be the better option.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-28-23, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Avoidance of hopping the rear wheel in sprints is one of the first things track sprinters learn. And it definitely takes some learning, since sprint track bikes are designed to shift the rider's weight down and forward compared to road bikes.
I don't think I could do it now if I tried.
Old 06-28-23, 07:59 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3980 Post(s)
Liked 7,430 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Which is it? Is there scientific testing, or zero scientific testing?
It's like the right hemisphere doesn't know what the left hemisphere is posting.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-28-23, 08:21 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26460 Post(s)
Liked 10,419 Times in 7,234 Posts
Foot retention is about more than power on the upstroke.
...the only crash I have had, that earned me a ride to the ER, was caused by losing a pedal at speed.
I think people don't appreciate how quickly you end up on the asphalt, when your foot loses contact with a pedal.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-28-23, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 757 Posts
I just love how everyone gets so easily sucked in to yet another thread by a newbie about something that has been hashed, and hashed, and hashed over and over, and just recently in fact. The user's name is even Connman... Con Man... Hmmm... Color me a skeptic. OP forgive me if you are completely sincere, but...
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-28-23, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by phughes
I just love how everyone gets so easily sucked in to yet another thread by a newbie about something that has been hashed, and hashed, and hashed over and over, and just recently in fact. The user's name is even Connman... Con Man... Hmmm... Color me a skeptic. OP forgive me if you are completely sincere, but...
I think this one is legit.

If you wait a bit and start another thread about the same thing, it will get responses. Or, better yet, disk vs rim brakes.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-28-23, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,536 Times in 3,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Connman
I ride a gravel bike on the highways an understood that clipping in would allow to not only push down but to pull up while pedaling.
I've ridden with toeclips since I was 11 or 12. The converted to clipless a few years ago.

I do pull up. Not all the time, but from time to time when I want to add power to my pedaling. I find that I tend to pull up more when doing heavy resistance pedaling (hauling cargo). Also on the tail end of a long ride, it is easier to pull up when I want a little extra power than pushing down with exhausted legs.
Old 06-28-23, 09:41 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4846 Post(s)
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Clipless pedals and shoes are a gimmick, there is zero scientific testing that shows they increase anyone's power. ...
It is pure coincidence that every Tour de France and every single professional road race ever ridden was won with either clipless pedals or toeclips, straps and cleats.

Actually the efficiency experts might have something, but .... races aren't won by the most efficient rider. They are won by the rider who crosses the line first and that rider may dip into highly inefficient realms to develop the power to pull that off.
Old 06-28-23, 09:53 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4846 Post(s)
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've ridden with toeclips since I was 11 or 12. The converted to clipless a few years ago.

I do pull up. Not all the time, but from time to time when I want to add power to my pedaling. I find that I tend to pull up more when doing heavy resistance pedaling (hauling cargo). Also on the tail end of a long ride, it is easier to pull up when I want a little extra power than pushing down with exhausted legs.
+1 I proceeded you on that same timeline. Another benefit is being able to spare muscle injuries while still riding by "deleting" that portion of the stroke. I was coached to pedal circles by my veteran clubmates when I started racing. Thank you, thank you. It's a gift that keeps on giving. I don't always actually pull up on the pedals but I do often enough that if I forget to tighten my toestraps (more than half my year's mileage) it usually isn't long before I lift my cleat off the pedal. I feel handicapped if I cannot pull up for climbing, accelerating out of lights, etc.

Edit: I've had chondromalcia patellae for 45 years. It is the downstroke with pressure that does the damage. Being able to power the other 2/3s of the circle and spare my knees has been a real gift.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-28-23 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-29-23, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3253 Post(s)
Liked 2,543 Times in 1,522 Posts
Well, if the OP does decide to get clipped in let's suggest ways to do it. Don't go out and invest in nice equipment starting out. Invest after you've decided it's for you. Find the cheapest SPD shoes you can. That could be used from someone in your area. I went to REI and found a returned pair with a broken lace hole for $30. Same for pedals. Find a pair of 2 sided pedals with SPD on one side and flat on the other. Ride with one foot clipped in and the other not. Switch feet. Repeat. Clip both in, or not. After a couple of weeks, you'll figure it out. Then go out and get some better equipment, or not.

Last edited by seypat; 06-29-23 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
I wonder why they don't use flat pedals and Chuck Taylors at the Tour de France? I mean, I think those guys are concerned about performance. Maybe they haven't read the volumes of research material that says there's no difference between being clipped in and flat pedals.

Ready for the rants, and GO.
Old 06-29-23, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
If somebody wants to go viral they should do the tdf with flat pedals.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 06-29-23, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
If somebody wants to go viral they should do the tdf with flat pedals.
Agreed! And Chris Froome could have run up Mont Ventoux faster in gym shoes
Old 06-29-23, 07:03 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Classic. A review of gear from someone who has little to no actual experience with it, peppered with mild insults towards people who use that gear.
Classic, a comment from someone with zero facts. I have had clipless pedals since the 1990s, and the review by cycling coach Dylan Johnson is from someone who used them to race with professionally and who is reviewing multiple scientific papers on the subject.

It is very common for the general population to follow traditions which have no merit, much more common than it is for the general population to act with independent or critical thought. And as far as people who think outside the box, that is every great intellectual in human history, Einstein, Orwell, DaVinci, Sagan etc.. So it is both sad and hilarious to see the masses complain when confronted with facts such as cycling coach Dylan Johnson's reviews of actual research debunking their follow-the-leader non-thinking.

As usual all I do is point out facts and research anyone could discover for themselves, and because they do not like facts they attack the messenger. Another tradition like clipless pedals that have no basis in reality.
Old 06-29-23, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18481 Post(s)
Liked 15,775 Times in 7,406 Posts
Classic, a comment from someone with zero facts. I have had clipless pedals since the 1990s, and the review by cycling coach Dylan Johnson is from someone who used them to race with professionally and who is reviewing multiple scientific papers on the subject.

It is very common for the general population to follow traditions which have no merit, much more common than it is for the general population to act with independent or critical thought. And as far as people who think outside the box, that is every great intellectual in human history, Einstein, Orwell, DaVinci, Sagan etc.. So it is both sad and hilarious to see the masses complain when confronted with facts such as cycling coach Dylan Johnson's reviews of actual research debunking their follow-the-leader non-thinking.

As usual all I do is point out facts and research anyone could discover for themselves, and because they do not like facts they attack the messenger. Another tradition like clipless pedals that have no basis in reality.
You are such a rugged individualist. They must have broken the mold after they made you.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-23, 08:19 AM

Effects of pedal type and pull-up action during cycling - PubMed (nih.gov)
When compared to CLIP, CLIPFBACK resulted in a significant increase in pedalling effectiveness during upstroke (86 % for C and 57 % NC, respectively), as well as higher biceps femoris and tibialis anterior muscle activity (p < 0.001). However, NE was significantly reduced (p < 0.008) with 9 % and 3.3 % reduction for C and NC, respectively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.