Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When Did "Gravel" Bikes Hit The Market

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When Did "Gravel" Bikes Hit The Market

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 10:35 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This is what I was looking for. If I were to find a 1994 catalog it would show a Rivendell "Gravel" bike by that name?
I can't find a 1994 Riv catalog-- wasn't Grant still working for Bridgestone then? but I think Grant called them adventure bikes or all road bikes something like that.

The question was "when was the term gravel bike used". A lot of people are answering "when did gravel bikes start" which are two different things.

Like I said earlier my guess is around ~2010 depending on manufacturer but I'm willing to be wrong.
Old 02-28-18, 10:42 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Most of the cyclocross bikes we sold that weren't race focused bikes became "gravel bikes" for the 2016 model year. Market differentiation was happening earlier in 2014/2015 but it really hit peak for us here in Georgia in late 2015. So far it seems to be a good thing, people are much more open to purchasing a gravel bike that they were a cyclocross bike as there's no racing association at all with the former.

Google trends is illustrative.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...=gravel%20bike
That Google trends is cool. I have never seen that before. It answers the question I asked perfectly. In 2011 I bought two Schwinn Super Sport GS frames from Nashbar for $35 apiece and built two bikes that today would be called gravel bikes. At the time I built them I hadn't heard the term.
Old 02-28-18, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Perhaps some CX bikes have a higher BB but others, i.e. Specialized Crux, have the same BB drop as a road or gravel bike. It's a pretty fuzzy term with plenty of cross over.
BB height has been a big debate in the CX world. In the beginning they were higher because racers were using clips and straps and they would hit the ground. Nowadays some have gone lower but in general they still tend to be higher.
Old 02-28-18, 12:00 PM
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Aren't they heavier?
My Salsa Warbird is very light.
Old 02-28-18, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 119 Posts
I'd be pretty surprised to see a bike labeled a gravel bike in a catalog as early as 2010. I've been around the industry since 2008 and I don't recall actually seeing the term printed in a catalog until Diamondback came in 2016 with their Adventure and Gravel section. Sales reps would come in and talk and mention gravel, dirt, etc. but I never saw any printed material. Even looking now a lot of manufacturers don't label them specifically as gravel bikes or mention gravel specifically. Preferring to generalize as "every road", rough road, dirt road or other non-specific descriptors.

Trek and Performance Bike have gravel sections but neither until 2015/2016, REI does not nor does Specialized. Giant has X-Road. What other manufacturers were around in 2010 that would have a catalog with gravel bikes? I'm curious myself.

I doubt Rivendell would shoe-horn a bike specifically into one niche like a gravel bike.
Old 02-28-18, 12:26 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,979 Times in 2,584 Posts
This is what I was looking for. If I were to find a 1994 catalog it would show a Rivendell "Gravel" bike by that name?
Keep in mind that only the term "gravel" is new. Gravel bikes aren't new, at all. Look at any 1920's Tour de France photo. All those bikes were true gravel bikes. The first safety bicycle, the ancestor of what we all ride today, was a gravel bike. The newly invented road surface, "macadam" was yet to actually be used anywhere. It took pressure from the growing cycling community to start paving roads.

"If I were to find a 1(8)94 catalog it would show a "Gravel" bike by that name?" No.

My 1973 Raleigh Competiion with its geometry from decades before is a true gravel bike. That was obvious the first ride on not-so-wide tires. With big tires that fit easily I can ride it anywhere (that the very low BB allows!)

Ben
Old 02-28-18, 12:35 PM

I'd be pretty surprised to see a bike labeled a gravel bike in a catalog as early as 2010. I've been around the industry since 2008 and I don't recall actually seeing the term printed in a catalog until Diamondback came in 2016 with their Adventure and Gravel section. Sales reps would come in and talk and mention gravel, dirt, etc. but I never saw any printed material. Even looking now a lot of manufacturers don't label them specifically as gravel bikes or mention gravel specifically. Preferring to generalize as "every road", rough road, dirt road or other non-specific descriptors.

Trek and Performance Bike have gravel sections but neither until 2015/2016, REI does not nor does Specialized. Giant has X-Road. What other manufacturers were around in 2010 that would have a catalog with gravel bikes? I'm curious myself.

I doubt Rivendell would shoe-horn a bike specifically into one niche like a gravel bike.
I'll concede 2010 might be early, that was just a shot in the dark. I'd think Salsa might be one of the earliest manufacturers of any significant volume that would've used the term, so maybe start there?
Old 02-28-18, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the tip, I forgot about Salsa - that's a good brand. I'm interested in how gravel bikes got to where they are now as quite a few of them have some quirky design choices so knowledge about the past may be helpful.
Old 02-28-18, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems more and more these days gravel bikes are getting a lot of play and occupying a greater portion of the market. It seems like it happened over night. I know that the acceptance and popularity has been more gradual though. When did they start appearing in manufacturers catalogs labeled as such? When did gravel bikes get added to out sub forums here?

Just a curiosity.
I had a CrMo gravel bike that got stolen so I got an endurance road bike (Al) and I realized I like my endurance a lot more.
Old 02-28-18, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I'd like to see 'em make something in between a gravel bike and a road bike.
Basically, something as light as a road bike...but with 32 tires.
In the past, we'd just call that a road bike. And we're increasingly heading back to it being normal: plenty of current "endurance" road bikes can fit 32mm tires just fine.
Old 02-28-18, 01:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
Cyclocross, the real races, sometimes you are faster shouldering the bike and running with it.. than riding...

so they don't bother with low gears.. either..

They go with horizontal top tubes .. my Classic AlAn , ovalized the 1" top tube in the center to make that go a little better..

cable runs on the top tube are often there, always not under the tube..

Old 02-28-18, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Keep in mind that only the term "gravel" is new. Gravel bikes aren't new, at all. Look at any 1920's Tour de France photo. All those bikes were true gravel bikes. The first safety bicycle, the ancestor of what we all ride today, was a gravel bike. The newly invented road surface, "macadam" was yet to actually be used anywhere. It took pressure from the growing cycling community to start paving roads.

"If I were to find a 1(8)94 catalog it would show a "Gravel" bike by that name?" No.

My 1973 Raleigh Competiion with its geometry from decades before is a true gravel bike. That was obvious the first ride on not-so-wide tires. With big tires that fit easily I can ride it anywhere (that the very low BB allows!)

Ben
qft
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tour de France gravel.jpg (280.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 02-28-18, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the tip, I forgot about Salsa - that's a good brand. I'm interested in how gravel bikes got to where they are now as quite a few of them have some quirky design choices so knowledge about the past may be helpful.
So now I'm curious. I couldn't find any old Salsa catalogs on the internet but Surly has all their catalogs going back to 1998. I could only make it up to 2014 because my internet connection is really slow today - but I didn't find the phrase "gravel bike" in anything up to and including 2014.

However, the ad copy for the Crosscheck -- going back all the way 1999 -- would be just as home today as it was back then: "Our true intentions for this frameset are to provide you with the core for a very aggressive, multi-purpose, off-road worthy 700c-wheeled bike".

In 2014 they specifically mention gravel roads for the crosscheck and a couple other models but they don't use the phrase "gravel bike."

As a side note: going back to the late 90s and early 2000s I'm impressed with how innovative and ahead of its time Surly was. I know they get some heat these days but they definitely had a vision that was arguably ahead of its time.
Old 02-28-18, 02:15 PM

That's great, part of what I find interesting is the same sentiment expressed below. So much of how a company presents itself and is perceived is limited to the last few years but there is so much history that sometimes it's easy to lose sight of how we got here in the first place.

Originally Posted by ksryder
As a side note: going back to the late 90s and early 2000s I'm impressed with how innovative and ahead of its time Surly was. I know they get some heat these days but they definitely had a vision that was arguably ahead of its time.
Old 02-28-18, 04:00 PM

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't the first "Gravel Bike" be the 2014 Raleigh Tamland that was developed with input from Guitar Ted? At least if we're talking modern marketing terms then that's the one that started the distinction of a purpose built Gravel Bike instead of using an existing cyclocross bike, right?
Old 02-28-18, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Texico
Wouldn't the first "Gravel Bike" be the 2014 Raleigh Tamland that was developed with input from Guitar Ted? At least if we're talking modern marketing terms then that's the one that started the distinction of a purpose built Gravel Bike instead of using an existing cyclocross bike, right?
The Tamland could be. I moved to NC in 2014. I don't recall ever hearing the term "gravel bike" until I moved here. Matter of fact, around that time, I recall starting a thread asking if there were any road bikes that could fit bigger tires. What got that question in my head was an article I read in 2008 about Andy Hampstons personal bike (below). Titanium with Jack Brown 33.3c tires. I thought it was interesting that a former teammate of Greg Lemond was riding something like that.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/artic...anca-ti-16577/

Old 02-28-18, 07:24 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Bruce Gordon made his first "Rock 'n' Road" bike in 1988.

Bruce Gordon Cycles - The Unofficial Official Blog: A Brief History of the Rock 'n Road

Last edited by tyrion; 02-28-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I need to throw this in about the lower BB height. When I design a bike the stand over height is a consideration. Knowing that a bike is to be outfitted with 32-40c tires I drop the BB down a centimeter or more to accommodate the appropriate stand over height for the proposed rider. Not convinced the lower BB was intentional for stability, rather I believe it is for stand over height, but the bike companies needed a way to differentiate product and fit the marketing bill for gravel bikes and use "stability" as part of the campaign to sell.
Old 02-28-18, 08:35 PM

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd like to see 'em make something in between a gravel bike and a road bike.
Basically, something as light as a road bike...but with 32 tires.
Like a Domane disc? Already fits that bill, and plenty light.

I have several bikes in this category. I wouldn’t ride anything less than 700x32mm tires on the road.

If you go to gravel races, you’ll see plenty of 32 and 34-35mm tires present, depending on the surface. These bikes already exist.

As for first “marketed” gravel bike, it can’t be the Tamland: the Salsa Warbird was introduced for 2013: https://salsacycles.com/culture/new_...ducing_warbird

Last edited by ph0rk; 02-28-18 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 09:37 AM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've never understood why people get so uptight about bike company marketers trying to differentiate "gravel bikes" from "cross bikes".

People seem happy to accept "endurance road" or "aero road" or "climbing bike" micro-differentiations on road bikes. People are also happy to accept the equally minor differences between "trail" bikes", "all mountain" bikes and "enduro" bikes when it comes to full suspension mountain bikes.

In contrast, bring up the relatively major difference between traditional cross bikes (racy, steep angles, high bottom brackets, 33mm tires, narrow cross gearing, weight a focus, no rack/fender mounts) and gravel bikes (often touring bike - like angles, low bottom brackets, room for larger tires, weight less of a focus, rack and fender mounts common) and people get a little twitchy.

Of course, the market for true cross race bikes is relatively small so manufacturers have made their "cross" bike look more like a "gravel" bike. Also, there are micro variations in gravel bikes with some being essentially drop bar mountain bikes, others being essentially endurance road bikes and variations therein. Overall, the label has become meaningless. The recent Trek Domane Gravel (or whatever) being a particularly cynical example of meaningless labels.
Old 03-01-18, 02:09 PM

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Categories help sell bikes. If I wanted, say, a slack head angle and three bottle cage mounts, I can probably safely ignore most cross bikes marketed as such. There is still a lot of difference between a light gravel race bike and the sort of machine you’d want to take on longer ride (I still think two bottles is nowhere near enough for rides with 50 miles between water and drop bags, so my guess is we will see the category split up in time).

That gravel bikes started to get popular while a lot of makes still sold road bikes with 25mm tires is telling, I think. Before Trek started calling the Crossrip a gravel bike they couldn’t even really categorize it well - so they just sort of lamely said it can do everything.
Old 03-01-18, 04:02 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,434 Posts
There are a lot of ways to answer this question.

The TERM "gravel bike" as a common term is pretty recent, I think well after 2010.

Technically, bikes made to handle dirt roads have been around, well, forever.

In terms of the recent popularity and marketing push, I think that would be about 10 years ago that it started to become a "thing", but took a few years to catch on.

In 2011, the idea of a "road" bike that was meant for dirt roads, or that dirt/gravel roads were a type of "road" riding was still pretty foreign to most of the cycling world. Just a fringe thing.

I remember this because I bought my 2010 Salsa Casseroll (which I consider a gravel bike despite the brakes) in early 2011. I was super stoked about having this road bike that was so capable on dirt and gravel roads, and started doing rides that combined many common road routes with many of the forest service roads all around SW Virginia. I kept blathering on how awesome it was, but found that almost nobody was interested in such a thing. Mountain bikers saw it (correctly) as road riding, and most of the serious road riders just thought of these as crappy roads to ride on (because on 23mm tires, they ARE crappy to ride on).

I bristle a little at the term "gravel" bike, because in my mind, many gravel bikes are actually "All-Road" bikes that excel on pavement, crappy pavement, and dirt/gravel roads. I've ridden road bikes for years, but after getting my Casseroll in 2011, traditional "road" bikes with racing geo and skinny tires are pretty much dead to me (see my sig).

I could be wrong about this, but I think Salsa was the first company that really pushed "gravel" as a marketing strategy. Or at least the first one that did it and had it catch on in the industry.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-01-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 10:38 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,581 Times in 4,228 Posts
No idea when they hit catalogs...its 2018...catalogs are mostly online webpages now.

Gravel bikes hit the market 25+ years ago when 700c hybrids were introduced. Bianchi Project series, Trek 7xx series, Univega ViaActiva, etc. They were flat bar then and can be easily modified to fit well as drop bars now. They build into comfortable dtop bar gravel bikes.
They just werent called 'gravel bike'.

My gravel bike model was introduced a decade ago. It was described as being at home on the road or trail. Not called gravel. Huh, hadnt realized til just now.

Anyways, 2011ish the term becomes popular. Brands then scramble and introduce haphazard offerings to quence the market's thirst. Trends take over and a few years later the term becomes mainstream.

'Gravel grinding' was a regular/popular term back in the early 00s.
Old 03-01-18, 10:42 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,581 Times in 4,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Texico
No.
Old 03-02-18, 07:27 AM

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 504 Posts
Is trail bike also a categorization or term use ?
Perhaps gravel and CX bikes can simply be specialized trail bikes ?
Mountian bikes can handle all trails including steep declines which is why suspension was added.
Trying to help with clarifications and not confuse this conversation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.