Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXXIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXXIII

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 03:42 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
In Arizona, you can't buy booze on Election Day 'til the polls close.

Not sure if they were more worried about people voting while drunk or people forgetting to vote cuz they were too busy getting drunk.
Old 01-27-15, 03:43 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I'm not talking about 65F outside, that's not cold weather. The middle temps are not a problem.

This is why i posted this "Seriously, riding a heavy bike in cold snow and ice requires a lot of hydration". Up here there's no snow or ice at 65f. I miss
stuff in posts too. Just as much as anyone.

I'm in Rhode Island, I'm talking about six hours to all day, on a road bike at hard effort in 25F weather. Or maximum effort on a MTB in the snow or on ice.
The cold fools you as the sweat evaporates through your wicking clothing, and the air is super dry. You feel comfortable, but need as much hydration as when it's 90F. It sent me to the hospital. My blood pressure was down to 60 over 30. All I needed was a couple of huge mugs of Orange juice, needed calories too. I did 50 miles in the 20F temps with only half of one big bike bottle, because I was so comfortable. It's also a pain to pull my face cover down below my mouth and drink fluid that is almost freezing. And then pull the cover up again. I can do it on the roll if there is no traffic anywhere. Riding in that temperature and in strong wind requires no exposed skin.
I don't see how a given effort in 25* would require more hydration than 60*. I know about dry air - again, I used to ride in Boulder. That's dry all the time, hot or cold. Has nothing on 90* in the Texas sun. You do need some hydration... but I can't believe you're losing as much sweat as you would be in sauna conditions.
Old 01-27-15, 03:45 PM
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I moved there in '03 and there was no such thing in place at the time, so maybe a little further back. The big news when I got there was that smoking indoors got the axe. God, that's something that I don't miss at all: bars/restaurants with smoking sections.
Originally Posted by RollCNY
I may be rusty on NY blue laws, but as I recall, liquor stores had to be closed on Sundays, and beer sales were not allowed at grocery stores after 1 or 2am on Sunday mornings until after noon. Also, grocery stores can only sell beer and malted beverages, so no wine or hard stuff. Probably ten or twelve years ago, the liquor store Sunday ban was lifted, but I kind of think the 2am to noon Sunday ban is global. It may vary county to county based upon bar closing time (Albany bars were open until 4am on Sunday morning, and served the whole damn time).

My info may all be dated, as I now buy beer for weeks and months at a time, so there has been no Sunday morning pressure.
According to WP, "Prior to 2006, off-premises alcohol sales were forbidden until noon on Sundays, and liquor/wine stores were required to be closed the entire day. Because grocery stores are not permitted to carry wine or liquor, the older law essentially meant that only beer and alcoholic malt beverages could be purchased at all on Sundays."

That'll be the one I was remembering.
Old 01-27-15, 03:50 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
To me, that just makes the NFL a joke.
Ummmmm, disagree. Strongly. Between various levels, from players, to teams to organizational heads, the NFL is far more balanced top-to-bottom than the NCAA. I think that the biggest difference is that college players have ****-all for leverage - they're absolutely taken advantage of. If a player doesn't think that they were treated fairly? Get bent. In the NFL, players have unions, arbitration, lawyer money, contracts (which puts a number on damages), etc. The NCAA is far less real world.
Old 01-27-15, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Outrageous.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by rjones28
They do. They just end up drinking it all on Saturday night.
Poor self-control is outrageous.
Old 01-27-15, 03:52 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Heathpack
I've never really thought about it but I'm pretty sure you can buy wine or liquor whenever you want in CA. At least I've never been frustrated by an attempt to purchase some. You just pick some up in the supermarket whenever you happen to go. Easy.
I bet you couldn't pick up a bottle before one of your morning rides, you'd have to grab one the night before

Old 01-27-15, 03:53 PM

According to WP, "Prior to 2006, off-premises alcohol sales were forbidden until noon on Sundays, and liquor/wine stores were required to be closed the entire day. Because grocery stores are not permitted to carry wine or liquor, the older law essentially meant that only beer and alcoholic malt beverages could be purchased at all on Sundays."

That'll be the one I was remembering.
I guess that I didn't buy wine much between '03-'06.
Old 01-27-15, 03:56 PM

In yet more other news, George RR Martin isn't half the wordsmith JRR Tolkien is. At least, judging from the portion I've gotten through so far.
Of course not.

....that said, I'll never drudge through the Council of Elrond ever again. I never thought that damn chapter would end.
Old 01-27-15, 03:56 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by BillyD
Exactly.

Poor self-control is outrageous.
They should make time-release booze safes.

Well, naw, then cuz people would be trying to break into them in the wee hours. There'd probably be a lot of guns and dynamite involved.
Old 01-27-15, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RollCNY

My info may all be dated, as I now buy beer for weeks and months at a time, so there has been no Sunday morning pressure.
I had a couple six packs of beer left over from a July cookout that I just finally finished off during football season. Not a big beer fan anymore, but during a football game you got to have at least one.
Old 01-27-15, 04:05 PM
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Buy a six pack for New Year, have the last beer for Christmas
Old 01-27-15, 04:10 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13720 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 2,510 Posts
Moonshine is starting to be a happenin' booze, but I still haven't gotten my hands on any. I'd definitely pick some up if I came across it in a store.
Some of the small New York distilleries are making moonshine these days.
Old 01-27-15, 04:12 PM
serious cyclist

Ummmmm, disagree. Strongly. Between various levels, from players, to teams to organizational heads, the NFL is far more balanced top-to-bottom than the NCAA. I think that the biggest difference is that college players have ****-all for leverage - they're absolutely taken advantage of. If a player doesn't think that they were treated fairly? Get bent. In the NFL, players have unions, arbitration, lawyer money, contracts (which puts a number on damages), etc. The NCAA is far less real world.
Yeah, and like I said, there's a lot about the NCAA I hate. I'm coming to the position, though, that all the NFL teams should blatantly cheat. Why not? Apparently there are no real repercussions.
Old 01-27-15, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
They should make time-release booze safes.

Well, naw, then cuz people would be trying to break into them in the wee hours. There'd probably be a lot of guns and dynamite involved.
Yup, thus providing still more fuel for the prohibitionists.
Old 01-27-15, 04:13 PM
serious cyclist

I guess that I didn't buy wine much between '03-'06.
Whereas I barely acknowledge that beer exists.

Actually, I don't drink much at all anyway, but back then it was only liquor.
Old 01-27-15, 04:15 PM
serious cyclist

Of course not.

....that said, I'll never drudge through the Council of Elrond ever again. I never thought that damn chapter would end.
LOTR is best read with full prior knowledge and liberal use of "let's skip ahead a ways". I never get tired of Moria though.

But yeah, some of my friends claimed he was as good/ better. From a linguistic standpoint, not even close. Worldcrafting is great, but his command of the language? No, no, no.
Old 01-27-15, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Yeah, and like I said, there's a lot about the NCAA I hate. I'm coming to the position, though, that all the NFL teams should blatantly cheat. Why not? Apparently there are no real repercussions.
Repeatedly, no less.

Just yesterday in fact JJ texted me saying he's watching this very closely.
Old 01-27-15, 04:21 PM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
In yet more other news, George RR Martin isn't half the wordsmith JRR Tolkien is. At least, judging from the portion I've gotten through so far.
I only made it through Game of Thrones (the book not the show). It was way too slow for my tastes with way too many characters to try to keep track of.
Old 01-27-15, 04:22 PM
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by BillyD
Repeatedly, no less.

Just yesterday in fact JJ texted me saying he's watching this very closely.

Oh, that JJ. Not the awesome one.
Old 01-27-15, 04:31 PM
Custom User Title

LOTR is best read with full prior knowledge and liberal use of "let's skip ahead a ways". I never get tired of Moria though.

But yeah, some of my friends claimed he was as good/ better. From a linguistic standpoint, not even close. Worldcrafting is great, but his command of the language? No, no, no.
Pick up Patrick Rothfuss' books, The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear. Good stuff all around.
Old 01-27-15, 04:33 PM

I do think that GRRM has him on the humor side of things, but that may be a difference of generations passing and certain things being more... acceptable to the audience.

In any event, I don't think that GRRM's writing gets in the way too much - I've been stumbling in to far, far worse, lately. It's bad when I kind of like where a story is heading but still can be bothered to finish a series. It's really bad when I abort mid-novel.
Old 01-27-15, 04:37 PM

Until the other night on Jimmy Kimmel, I'd never seen JJ other than on the field. Seems like a good, smart kid. I'm a fan.

Originally Posted by RPK79
Pick up Patrick Rothfuss' books, The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear. Good stuff all around.
Agreed. I feel like I could benefit a lot from a re-read, but don't even want to bother 'til we have a concrete release date for Day 3.
Old 01-27-15, 04:42 PM
Custom User Title

Agreed. I feel like I could benefit a lot from a re-read, but don't even want to bother 'til we have a concrete release date for Day 3.
I've been through them 3 or 4 times and read the in-depth re-read on .... the TOR sight I think...
Old 01-27-15, 04:59 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 4,626 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I know I have no reason to complain compared to our more northerly folks, but I am bummed. We are starting several days of clear, dry, mid-70s weather and last night I started to feel a flu-like virus coming on. Crap.
I've ridden over 300 miles since I got to Florida 10 days ago and now I have to deal with these stupid tan lines.

Old 01-27-15, 05:00 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 4,626 Times in 2,126 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if ND is similar to MN. The fact that MN has blue laws (no liquor or, strangely, car sales on Sundays) absolutely annoys the piss out of me.
Can't sell a car in Illinois on Sunday but you can buy liquor most place after noon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.