Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Considering a used Trek?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Considering a used Trek?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 11:21 AM
Herasmus B Draggin

Bikes: Many, often

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe waterrockets should phone the White House. They're still bailing out people who don't deserve it. Or does WR believe he's "too big to fail"?

Originally Posted by waterrockets
In any event, this just shows that trek has silly service.
Or rather, and more likely: you just have silly expectations of getting a benefit for which you were, by your own words, too frugal to pay.

A joke for Mr. McTrumpy: A guy says to a co-worker "I woke up grumpy today". Co-worker says "Sometimes that happens, but most mornings I can sneak out without waking her up."

That one's for you, love.
Old 12-18-09, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WR: This may be a dumb question, but why didn't you just JB-Weld it back together and keep riding?

You hear stories about the old TDF where they had to blacksmith themselves a new fork to finish the race... it sounds really pathetic that you had to whine to trek about this...
Old 12-18-09, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jb welding a carbon frame voids the warranty, duh
Old 12-18-09, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
A BB shell that can be busted out of the frame with a BB wrench would be a defective frame. Think about the bikes you've had in the past and what chance in hell you have of twisting the BB shell with a wrench.

Then think about the force going through it with a 1750W sprint. Pedaling killed this frame.
Everything's got a torque limit. Including the bottom bracket shell. Normal wrenching won't kill it, but I've gotten BB's stuck in other (steel) bikes, and the removal process would have been highly suspect for a CF bike.

And please. I can put out 1750W sprints too. Been doing it to my Madone for the last two years. No issues with my bottom bracket.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-18-09, 11:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregf83
Setting aside the warranty legal issues, which clearly favor Trek, I don't see how this could be classed as a manufacturers defect. The frame lasted for 4 years of racing before wearing out. I would venture that more than meets the design specs that Trek (or any other manufacturer) started with.

They can afford to offer a lifetime warranty only because they know that 90% of their customers are not gonig to be racing and doing 1750W sprints every week. It doesn't make economic sense that they design their bikes to survive a lifetime of racing; that's not their business.
One of the local hammers rides the same frame. He's big,incredibly strong and his hasn't fallen apart 4 years later...ergo WR's failure is probably a manufacturing defect.

NOT a design flaw, his just wasn't put together properly.
Old 12-18-09, 11:31 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
WR: This may be a dumb question, but why didn't you just JB-Weld it back together and keep riding?
If you read a bit, you'll know that he tried.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-18-09, 11:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
If you read a bit, you'll know that he tried.

look @ the BB shell, it's clear he didnt try, or if he did, he didn't try very hard.

WR has a big mouth, you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. Just because it's on the internet does NOT mean it's true.
Old 12-18-09, 11:42 AM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
WR has a big mouth, you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. Just because it's on the internet does NOT mean it's true.

Old 12-18-09, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
Please, enlighten me with more of your wisdom.
Please...a pro race bike is designed to be light and stiff and NOT LAST FOREVER. Even for an amateur slack roundy round 45 minute plus two lap Saturday morning guy. If you want free bikes, get a pro contract.

If you can't afford to race and replace multi-thousand dollar frames and equipment, don't buy that stuff.

Light, strong, cheap. Pick two.
Old 12-18-09, 11:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Please...a pro race bike is designed to be light and stiff and NOT LAST FOREVER. Even for an amateur slack roundy round 45 minute plus two lap Saturday morning guy. If you want free bikes, get a pro contract.

If you can't afford to race and replace multi-thousand dollar frames and equipment, don't buy that stuff.

Light, strong, cheap. Pick two.

Then explain the lifetime warranty roadwarrior... They ARE supposed to last at least 1 lifetime.
Old 12-18-09, 12:05 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Then explain the lifetime warranty roadwarrior... They ARE supposed to last at least 1 lifetime.
No, they're expected to last the lifetime of a recreational rider. As I suggested way in the beginning of this thread, this bike has seen probably more miles than 99% of all the other identical bikes Trek sells. Trek can afford this, as long as they can reasonably rely on brand loyalty when the racer buys his second or third bike.

It's all about statistics. Most bikes are not ridden by one person their entire life. Like this one. The ones that are, most of them are never ridden hard enough to break down from normal use. Some are crashed (not covered), or simply forgotten in someone's garage. It's like the credit card companies. The people who overuse credit harm the bank. The people who pay off their statements every month are of no use to the bank. But these two extremes are tolerated because the bank knows that most people are 1) carrying a debt on their card, and 2) regularly paying it down (but not off). Warranties are the same way. Most warranty policies are never used. A few are abused, but this is tolerated to keep customer loyalty.

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 12-18-09 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 12:09 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
look @ the BB shell, it's clear he didnt try, or if he did, he didn't try very hard.

Waterrockets is a standup guy, who I respect to the utmost and happen to disagree with on this particular issue. He tried re-gluing the sleeve. With a framebuilder's help. The repair didn't hold. Get off it.

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 12-18-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 12:14 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Old 12-18-09, 12:19 PM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
What the **** is wrong with you people.
Old 12-18-09, 12:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Waterrockets is a standup guy, who I respect to the utmost and happen to disagree with on this particular issue. He tried re-gluing the sleeve. With a framebuilder's help. The repair didn't hold. Get off it.

I completely agree with you that Trek should not warranty a bike before WR puts some elbow grease into it and try to fix it. I mean, the first line of defense should be the consumer, not the manufacturer.

That said, I ALSO agree with you that WR is a standup guy, but you have to admit he runs his mouth a lot on this forum. Half of what he says is correct, the other half incorrect. Like all his strategy for a 1km win... it's all bull**** because no one else can DO THAT. So IMO he's working at chance (50/50) but I respect his dedication to this forum and the advice (however helpful it is) that he's willing to give to newbies.
Old 12-18-09, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WR just wanted to post to his power #s for all you freds in the 41 to drool over.

dude's so powerful he broke a bottom bracket, that's like dunking and smashing the glass in a backboard!
Old 12-18-09, 12:47 PM
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by One Way Rider
A joke for Mr. McTrumpy: A guy says to a co-worker "I woke up grumpy today". Co-worker says "Sometimes that happens, but most mornings I can sneak out without waking her up."

That one's for you, love.
I loled
Old 12-18-09, 12:47 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
WR just wanted to post to his power #s for all you freds in the 41 to drool over.

dude's so powerful he broke a bottom bracket, that's like dunking and smashing the glass in a backboard!
Waterrockets:

Old 12-18-09, 12:49 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No, they're expected to last the lifetime of a recreational rider. As I suggested way in the beginning of this thread, this bike has seen probably more miles than 99% of all the other identical bikes Trek sells. Trek can afford this, as long as they can reasonably rely on brand loyalty when the racer buys his second or third bike.

It's all about statistics. Most bikes are not ridden by one person their entire life. Like this one. The ones that are, most of them are never ridden hard enough to break down from normal use. Some are crashed (not covered), or simply forgotten in someone's garage. It's like the credit card companies. The people who overuse credit harm the bank. The people who pay off their statements every month are of no use to the bank. But these two extremes are tolerated because the bank knows that most people are 1) carrying a debt on their card, and 2) regularly paying it down (but not off). Warranties are the same way. Most warranty policies are never used. A few are abused, but this is tolerated to keep customer loyalty.
Absolutely. When I was really racing, I could use up two frames a season. Half a season was a" lifetime".

Thanks for entering a dose of sensibility here.
Old 12-18-09, 12:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many internets will be rewarded for post 500?
Old 12-18-09, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
Wow...

Looking at this pic though:

Those cups look like they've been wrenched hard and often...dang. That's some munged metal.
[/I]
What did you do to the cups?
Old 12-18-09, 12:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It should be a substantial amount.
Old 12-18-09, 12:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
REally it should.
Old 12-18-09, 12:52 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV

Hey, Pcad's broken a crankarm in half. Snapped it right off.

I snapped the hub in my back wheel. Broke it so when I spun the cranks, the chain would spin with the casette, but it was snapped off so the wheel would not turn. That was a retail wheelset for about $1,500.

Stuff happens.
Old 12-18-09, 12:53 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I completely agree with you that Trek should not warranty a bike before WR puts some elbow grease into it and try to fix it. I mean, the first line of defense should be the consumer, not the manufacturer.

That said, I ALSO agree with you that WR is a standup guy, but you have to admit he runs his mouth a lot on this forum. Half of what he says is correct, the other half incorrect. Like all his strategy for a 1km win... it's all bull**** because no one else can DO THAT. So IMO he's working at chance (50/50) but I respect his dedication to this forum and the advice (however helpful it is) that he's willing to give to newbies.
While there certainly is a ton of BS that flies around on here, I wouldn't include WR in the list of blowhards on this site. But you are entitled to your own opinion.

As for his 1k strategy, we have a guy on my team who puts out very similar #'s as WR, he usually takes off with 1k to go as well. Sometimes he wins, sometimes he gets caught. I would say a lot of strategy in winning bike races is a chance, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Now let's get back to arguing about warranties and bashing Trek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.