Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Test riding a bike for 2 hours

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Test riding a bike for 2 hours

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-23, 10:20 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey guys, I was looking at the Stanford campus bike shop and they would sell me a fuji feather single speed for $600.
A bit of family trivia. That Campus Bike Shop is currently owned by Keith, my sister's former college boyfriend, who bought it from my dad, who bought it from my grandfather. I was almost born in the shop.

"There are only about 150 bikes on campus now...Used to be a lot more bikes on campus. There was a time just after the war when the bike racks up at Lake Lag were packed every afternoon, bikes all over the place. I guess people have just quit riding". -- Fred Morse, 1955

BTW Larry, there's no way that Keith will let you test ride a new bike for two hours.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-11-23 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Hey guys, I was looking at the Stanford campus bike shop and they would sell me a fuji feather single speed for $600. I want to try test riding it for ~2 hours doing a fast group ride, because if the bike cannot perform well under load I don't want it, and its hard to replicate that without a racing environment. Id need them to move the brakes to the drop bars, and I would consider buying it if i am happy with it. Is this unusual or a dick move on my part? Bit more than the customary spin. Was going to drop off the money or a more expensive bike as collateral and not bother explaining in detail where im riding it/ask the sales guy for permission because he would have to ask his manager and its just escalating for no reason.
If you owned the new bike and a person made the same request, what would you do? Also, in two hours, the bike isn't new anymore. The seller must either lie or tell the potential buyer they are getting a used bike.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 05-11-23, 11:42 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12791 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
If you owned the new bike and a person made the same request, what would you do? Also, in two hours, the bike isn't new anymore. The seller must either lie or tell the potential buyer they are getting a used bike.
Plenty of bikes are sold new in stores with over two hours use on 'em. Same with cars.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-11-23, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Plenty of bikes are sold new in stores with over two hours use on 'em. Same with cars.
Not the ones I purchase.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 05-11-23, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,634 Times in 1,048 Posts
...sell me a fuji feather single speed for $600.
NO! Its not a Dick Move... They want to sell a bike. You want to buy one.

Git Er Dun!
Old 05-11-23, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
At this point it's not a test ride it's more of a demo ride or even a rental. See if you can talk them into a rental and if you decide to purchase, whether that rental fee can be applied towards the purchase price.
Old 05-11-23, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A bit of family trivia. That Campus Bike Shop is currently owned by Keith, my sister's former college boyfriend, who bought it from my dad, who bought it from my grandfather. I was almost born in the shop.

"There are only about 150 bikes on campus now...Used to be a lot more bikes on campus. There was a time just after the war when the bike racks up at Lake Lag were packed every afternoon, bikes all over the place. I guess people have just quit riding". -- Fred Morse, 1955

BTW Larry, there's no way that Keith will let you test ride a new bike for two hours.
he’s been cool to me, but idk if he knows I’m the shirtless guy. If he knew who I was he wouldn’t mind. He would lend it to me, mark my words, I’ll give an update if I proceed.

Is buying a new single speed worth it over a used one? I have a used one with mechanical disk brakes and it’s such a headache I just want a different one. I’m paranoid of buying a new one and it still won’t run quietly and smoothly etc etc

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-11-23 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 05:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
he’s been cool to me, but idk if he knows I’m the shirtless guy. If he knew who I was he wouldn’t mind. He would lend it to me, mark my words, I’ll give an update if I proceed.

Is buying a new single speed worth it over a used one? I have a used one with mechanical disk brakes and it’s such a headache I just want a different one. I’m paranoid of buying a new one and it still won’t run quietly and smoothly etc etc
Your rep precedes you sir... I betting on @terrymorse being correct.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-11-23, 06:47 PM
climber has-been

There’s also the idea of using a single speed on the Spectrum Ride, probably the fastest group ride on the SF Peninsula.

A single speed wouldn’t be my first choice for that ride. Or second choice.

Old 05-11-23, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts

Game, set & match. You win BF for at least the week.
Old 05-11-23, 10:52 PM

There’s also the idea of using a single speed on the Spectrum Ride, probably the fastest group ride on the SF Peninsula.

A single speed wouldn’t be my first choice for that ride. Or second choice.
I tried it on a 42x18 and need a heavier gear, the stock is probably 48-16 which should be fine.
Old 05-12-23, 12:52 AM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
Yeah, we used to do fast group rides on FGSS setups. 48x16 was a good ratio, some ran 49x16 for the skid patches. But a lot of the commuters ran 48x17 for everyday duty and I think that's too low. This was in LA and the rides were mostly flat (or at least nothing with extended climbing). Never done Spectrum up here in the Bay but from what I've read there's not any extended climbing, mostly rollers. Still, now that I'm older, wiser, and have the money for proper bikes, a SS wouldn't be my first pick, and definitely not a Fuji Feather. Maybe a Langster or something.
Old 05-12-23, 05:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
I'm sick of my bikes breaking and I need to commute in the rain etc, don't like maintenance. I want my commuter bike to be the same bike that I race on.

Separately, there are training benefits to riding single speed with fast groups. It forces you to be comfortable with a dynamic cadence and exposes inefficiencies in your pedaling style.
How are your bikes 'breaking'??? Perhaps you are buying junk bikes???
Commuting on a 'race bike' is not a good idea.
Being lazy and careless about maintenance is a great way to shorten the life of a bike and its parts.
I've worked in three shops for over 20 years and I've never seen anyone allowed to take a bike for a 2 hour ride. Perhaps if the shop is hard up for a sale...then maybe. It's up to you to do your homework and know what you're buying.
But I don't have any monkeys in this circus so I don't really care what you try to get away with but customers like you is the primary reason I prefer to stay in the back and just wrench...I don't miss customers like you...ugh...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 05-12-23, 10:06 AM

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Actually, the question should be, "What is the LBS restocking fee if I purchase the bike and want to return it after two hours?" Then, rather than borrowing the bike, you've bought it and understand the option cost of a put-back. And, rather than massively overcollateralizing the exchange with a much more valuable asset at risk, you have maintained "parity of exposure" to the counterparty credit. Since the question seems to revolve around "fit for purpose" rather than "the price on offer," the $600 should not be of any concern. The restocking fee would essentially be rent. In the markets, we call this a buy-sell back arrangement, where the differential of purchase versus repurchase represents an interest rate on the money.

If all sales are final, then there's your answer. You're a richard.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-12-23, 10:06 AM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Never done Spectrum up here in the Bay but from what I've read there's not any extended climbing, mostly rollers.
Yes, Spectrum is a "big ring" ride, which certainly can be done with a SS. But a couple of the rollers are steep enough, and the downhill sections are long and fast enough, that a SS would feel too high or too low in a few spots.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-12-23, 10:09 AM

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
the only single speed bikes I owned were BMXs when I was younger. Now all my bikes have gears
Old 05-12-23, 10:18 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,661 Times in 2,928 Posts
Hey guys, I was looking at the Stanford campus bike shop and they would sell me a fuji feather single speed for $600. I want to try test riding it for ~2 hours doing a fast group ride, because if the bike cannot perform well under load I don't want it, and its hard to replicate that without a racing environment. Id need them to move the brakes to the drop bars, and I would consider buying it if i am happy with it. Is this unusual or a dick move on my part? Bit more than the customary spin. Was going to drop off the money or a more expensive bike as collateral and not bother explaining in detail where im riding it/ask the sales guy for permission because he would have to ask his manager and its just escalating for no reason.
IMO, your request to move the brakes is unreasonable for a test ride on a budget bike. A 2 hour test ride is reasonable but asking them to do work on a bike they may not sell is asking too much.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-12-23, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the race part of the demo ride. A 48:16 will have him spit out back on first fast flat. For perspective, 30 mph will require a cadence of 130.
Also yeah, borrowing a new bike for a couple hours to lose a race is a dick move.
Old 05-12-23, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
OK to send a link to this thread to the bike shop, Larry? Or would that be a dick move?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-12-23, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob
IMO, your request to move the brakes is unreasonable for a test ride on a budget bike. A 2 hour test ride is reasonable but asking them to do work on a bike they may not sell is asking too much.
I agree in principle, but to play devils advocate there is a good chance I would buy the bike if it fits my needs, and I can't tell if it will fit my needs with the brakes in the current position
Old 05-12-23, 02:52 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
I agree in principle, but to play devils advocate there is a good chance I would buy the bike if it fits my needs, and I can't tell if it will fit my needs with the brakes in the current position
But, from the shop's perspective, there's a good chance you won't buy the bike
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-12-23, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I wouldn't worry about the race part of the demo ride. A 48:16 will have him spit out back on first fast flat. For perspective, 30 mph will require a cadence of 130.
Also yeah, borrowing a new bike for a couple hours to lose a race is a dick move.
130 rpm is fast but maintainable. I used to do a similar but maybe 3 mph slower ride on a 42x18 and was fine on all but a long mile+ long downhill
Old 05-12-23, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
130 rpm is fast but maintainable.
Uh huh.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 05-12-23, 03:52 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12791 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
Crosstop style levers slid down to the drops ain't gonna be pleasant.
Old 05-12-23, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Uh huh.
I’m approaching it differently than most roadies. 200 rpm bursts are the dream.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.