Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Large or XL Trek Top Fuel ?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Large or XL Trek Top Fuel ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 07:14 PM
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Large or XL Trek Top Fuel ? Update !! Bike ordered Mid July ETA

Hi all, seems I am right on the edge for sizing. I would test ride but these models are tough to find. There's one about 5 hours away I may get but am soliciting opinions.

I ride a 58 Cm Domane that fits me really well. I can also fit a 60 with a few adjustments.

Im a bit over 6'1 with about a 34.5 inch cycling inseam.

My old AF Giant Rainier MTB is a 19 inch frame that frankly feels too small. My LBS that sells Trek seemed to think I would be OK on an XL or L.

Opinions would be appreciated,. I am fairly naive to new mountain bike geometry and how it relates to fit. Im concerned an XL may have too much reach ? Or I could be clueless. My arms aren't crazy short or anything but got serious neck mobility issues so more compact is usually better for me in terms of reach.

What does the hive say ??

Last edited by Rdmonster69; 02-20-22 at 02:37 PM. Reason: title updated
Old 02-08-22, 10:18 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,052 Times in 2,702 Posts
Figure out if you want to be more nimble and agile or maybe more firm and planted. This sort of stuff is the reason Specialized went away from the traditional sizing and is going more by ride qualities. Most people can fit a wide range of full sus mountain bikes it is all about what makes sense for your riding.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-09-22, 08:02 AM

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
I would go with the large. I was just in the same situation, granted on a hardtail, but personally I find being at the top end of the large height range I bought way better than at the bottom end of the XL I didn't. I am 6' even and the bike I bought (Marin Team Marin 2) recommends Large up to 6', X Large 6' plus. The Large fits me perfect and I feel I would find the XL more cumbersome to maneuver etc., despite that it may still technically "fit" me.
Likes For nodnerb:
Old 02-09-22, 08:36 AM
Shawn of the Dead

I never thought of the handling aspect and need to look further at the geometries to see where the differences lie. Like I said I am tall but not basketball player tall. I would rather hae something with less reach because I feel the more compact cockpits give me better control of the bike. I don't like a long reach to the bars road or MTB. That being said I have no reference for the dynamics of a modern mountain bike. I just know they are super cool and I want one !!

I always enjoyed riding my old hardtail and when I got back into biking a few years ago I added a bunch of nice vintage components to it and hit the trails. It is serviceable but ...... new bike !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 02-09-22, 09:06 AM

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
Posted in wrong thread, removed what I put in and posting correctly.....

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-09-22 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-09-22, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 628 Posts
I'm the same size and have always gone XL even at an advanced age. My system for deciding which bike to purchase comes from motorcycles years ago. Sit on the bike with the pedals horizontal, seat height appropriate and the bike supported, then close your eyes and put your hands where they're in a comfortable position. Selecting the size that "feels" best has always worked for me.
Old 02-09-22, 12:16 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Just as an option to add to what you currently are looking at:

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...icle=280474010

It does have sizes large, XLrg and XXLrg.

Good Luck on your search!
The problem is that bike isn't full suspension or carbon like the Top Fuel. This is what he might consider in the Scott line (keeping in mind some of them are not carbon): https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...park+RC&text=# The Spark RC is going to be the ideal bike if looking for more of a XC bike. I would go for the Spark RC Pro because it has Shimano in this case XTR and fulfills the carbon and looks nice.
Old 02-09-22, 12:26 PM

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The problem is that bike isn't full suspension or carbon like the Top Fuel. This is what he might consider in the Scott line (keeping in mind some of them are not carbon): https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...park+RC&text=# The Spark RC is going to be the ideal bike if looking for more of a XC bike. I would go for the Spark RC Pro because it has Shimano in this case XTR and fulfills the carbon and looks nice.
OMG, I posted in the wrong thread! I meant to put that into the thread about the guy with the RockHopper. Whew....not enough coffee today!
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 02-09-22, 02:48 PM
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Large for sure. Re sale value is terrible for XL's also because only a select group can use them. If you wanted to sell it later on.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 02-09-22, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
fwiw my fastest 17 mile commute was on an old 26er which I pulled off a trash heap, w/ big fat slicks, that the bike shop said was too small for me. but something about that bike & how I fit on it, was just right
Old 02-09-22, 06:47 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by travbikeman
OMG, I posted in the wrong thread! I meant to put that into the thread about the guy with the RockHopper. Whew....not enough coffee today!
It's cool it happens sometimes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-09-22, 06:50 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by C_Heath
Large for sure. Re sale value is terrible for XL's also because only a select group can use them. If you wanted to sell it later on.
I wouldn't buy a bike if I knew my plan was resale, I want to buy a bike that works for me more than someone else. Granted in this situation both could potentially work but if I am not comfortable on the bike there is no point in buying it to just resell it unless I am flipping something used maybe.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-10-22, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2997 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Heath
Quite the opposite. People that need an XL usually have a hard time finding one. The re-sale on this bike in XL would be just fine.
Old 02-10-22, 01:34 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
See if the dropper post will tell you... the XL is a full 2" larger frame size with the same pretty long 170mm dropper post so if you can't do the XL at full extension then it's an L for you
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-10-22, 03:28 PM
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
See if the dropper post will tell you... the XL is a full 2" larger frame size with the same pretty long 170mm dropper post so if you can't do the XL at full extension then it's an L for you
Hmmm ... Interesting idea. I def. dont buy a bike thinking about resale. I am loathe to sell almost anything once I own it unless I have several similar items which happens sometimes !!
Old 02-11-22, 12:02 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 446 Posts
Figure out if you want to be more nimble and agile or maybe more firm and planted. This sort of stuff is the reason Specialized went away from the traditional sizing and is going more by ride qualities. Most people can fit a wide range of full sus mountain bikes it is all about what makes sense for your riding.
I would agree with this.
Just recently bought a newer FS (coming from very old school HT and FS), and finding some great things and some things I'm not sure will help me in the long run.
I'm 5' 9" but with very long legs, 34.75" inseam, so I can/do fit M or L. I went with L because the effective reach is much shorter than any of the older stuff. Just enough more upright to make downhill work less sketchy (flowing downhill...) I do/did like that !
But... many of the trails I ride in our area have loads of tight switchbacks (steep hillsides with non-recoverable dropoffs...)
the newer geo has much slacker head angles, but with short chainstay lengths. So with the longer wheelbases of the newer FS designs, there's a lot more length in 'Front-Center'...
I found this disconcerting in many places where quick steering was not only desirable, but needed...
The new FS is a locomotive going downhill, on flow terrain, but quite a handful on tight terrain - for me...
I rode a friend's similar FS, in a M and 27.5, and it was so much better for me! Way more enjoyable working the tight spots, easy climber, just not quite as fast on flow (unless I pedaled a bit more). I'm good with the speed compromise and benefitting with the way better handling on tight stuff!
I'm gonna sell the L and certainly go down to a M and maybe even go 27.5 instead of 29.
BUT, first I'm gonna rent a M 29r and then rent a M 27.5 and then decide - shoulda done that right off the bat. Not suggesting you go 27.5, but there'll be significant difference in 29 L and XL.
I would suggest getting on a L and if possible an XL - borrow or rent - and see what the different sizes give you. Yeah may not be on Trek Top fuel model, but the ride quality size differences are gonna carry similar from one brand to another.
Ride on
Yuri
EDIT: here ya go, Trek Top Fuel 9.7 geometry comparison

Last edited by cyclezen; 02-11-22 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-11-22, 08:33 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Hi all, seems I am right on the edge for sizing. I would test ride but these models are tough to find. There's one about 5 hours away I may get but am soliciting opinions.

I ride a 58 Cm Domane that fits me really well. I can also fit a 60 with a few adjustments.

Im a bit over 6'1 with about a 34.5 inch cycling inseam.

My old AF Giant Rainier MTB is a 19 inch frame that frankly feels too small. My LBS that sells Trek seemed to think I would be OK on an XL or L.

Opinions would be appreciated,. I am fairly naive to new mountain bike geometry and how it relates to fit. Im concerned an XL may have too much reach ? Or I could be clueless. My arms aren't crazy short or anything but got serious neck mobility issues so more compact is usually better for me in terms of reach.

What does the hive say ??
When you say the Rainier is too small, HOW was it too small? Not enough reach to the bars, too short, or both? Getting clear on this, and being able to identify what year it is so that geo numbers can be compared might be a useful guide. I say "might be" because MTB geo has changed radically over the past 5 years, and some of the key numbers are not really comparable.
Old 02-11-22, 08:54 AM
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Kapusta
When you say the Rainier is too small, HOW was it too small? Not enough reach to the bars, too short, or both? Getting clear on this, and being able to identify what year it is so that geo numbers can be compared might be a useful guide. I say "might be" because MTB geo has changed radically over the past 5 years, and some of the key numbers are not really comparable.
Excellent question. It "feels" to small in the seat tube. I feel like my leg doesn't straighten enough. I understand that off road bikes may have a different feel to them than a road bike and am not sure if the same amount of knee bend is needed or even wanted. I really only noticed it when riding on bike paths or on long wide sections of dirt trails (I.E. not single track). On single track or any decent mountain bike trail it didn't seem as big of a deal. When just cruising along I always have alot of the seat post showing. I drop it down off road. It a 2004 or 5 Rainier with a 19 inch frame.

The large TopFuel is a 19.5 inch seat tube so slightly larger than the Rainier but not much but has a ridiculously long 170mm dropper post (I say that because I have a 170mm post on my Litespeed road bike and it looks like a seat tube that goes in the seat tube LOL). I don't know much about modern bike Geometry. The Rainier is essentially a big BMX frame with a suspension fork.

I wanted a 60cm Domane because my old Trek 2.3 race geo felt cramped in a 58 in the seat tube. Well ... road bike geo has changed too and I couldn't be happier with the Domane in 58.

My gut feeling is that a large will be good but I can only learn so much from sitting on similar bikes at the shop. Finding a Topfuel in L/XL size locally is impossible so riding and evaluating that way isn't really an option.

Thanks for all the replies.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 02-11-22, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 628 Posts
IMO, even if you're not racing or worrying about maximum efficiency, it's worth it to have the proper leg extension. My wife has knee problems if her bike isn't set up properly, and even though I'm more flexible in this regard, it still seems more feasible to have the right set up.
Old 02-11-22, 01:24 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Excellent question. It "feels" to small in the seat tube. I feel like my leg doesn't straighten enough. I understand that off road bikes may have a different feel to them than a road bike and am not sure if the same amount of knee bend is needed or even wanted. I really only noticed it when riding on bike paths or on long wide sections of dirt trails (I.E. not single track). On single track or any decent mountain bike trail it didn't seem as big of a deal. When just cruising along I always have alot of the seat post showing. I drop it down off road. It a 2004 or 5 Rainier with a 19 inch frame.

The large TopFuel is a 19.5 inch seat tube so slightly larger than the Rainier but not much but has a ridiculously long 170mm dropper post (I say that because I have a 170mm post on my Litespeed road bike and it looks like a seat tube that goes in the seat tube LOL). I don't know much about modern bike Geometry. The Rainier is essentially a big BMX frame with a suspension fork.

I wanted a 60cm Domane because my old Trek 2.3 race geo felt cramped in a 58 in the seat tube. Well ... road bike geo has changed too and I couldn't be happier with the Domane in 58.

My gut feeling is that a large will be good but I can only learn so much from sitting on similar bikes at the shop. Finding a Topfuel in L/XL size locally is impossible so riding and evaluating that way isn't really an option.

Thanks for all the replies.
Did you try raising the saddle?
Old 02-11-22, 01:45 PM
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Did you try raising the saddle?
On the road bike or the Rainier ? Yes to both although on the road bike I have less post showing. The MTB post is not at its limit when I had it raised for just cruising around on paths but was alot closer than the road bike to maxed out.

I appreciate the help. I am not a total noob and value these exchanges to get my own thoughts ordered and a plan together. I also know how utterly impossible it is to help someone size a bike over the internet. Its hard sometimes at the bike store when your actually on a bike. The Domane is a perfect example. I find out after the fact that the endurance line runs a little big (wasn't even explained what that means in the thread) and when I put it next to my 2.3 they definitely don't look the same size.

If mountain bikes are similar then a new geometry in a large should be on the money. I rode the Rainer for years and it is fine but I always "felt" (crazy subjective I know) that it was too small. No knee pain, no saddle pain etc ....just a "feeling". Hey ...I always "felt" I was smart, handsome and in shape. One out of three aint bad LOL. The large TopFuel has a 1/2 inch longer seat tube and a long seatpost. (19.5 inches) the Rainier is a 19 inch seat tube.

I'm gonna go to the LBS and test a large dual suspension Trek. If they have an XL I will try that out too...if either are available. I can pre order at my shop but the ETA is July. There is one sitting 4.5 hours north and I have a buddy that will road trip with me.
Old 02-20-22, 02:45 PM
Shawn of the Dead

Update !! Bike ordered ....

So I ordered the bike I was looking at from my local. Large Top Fuel 9.8 XT. Yellow/Red/Purple fade combo.This is to replace a 15+ year old Giant Rainier so should be quite the upgrade.

The one up north got sold and the next one is 8 hours south and I'm just not gonna drive that far.

I got plenty of 2 wheeled transpo to keep me happy. My lbs guy said Trek had been pretty good with their dates so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

A lot of research and self debate went into this but its exactly what I want. A close shop is getting a 9.8 XTR in about 10 days but I don't want a divorce that bad . I can't justify the extra cheddar for the XTR model although I bet its sweet.
Old 02-20-22, 04:55 PM
Clark W. Griswold

So I ordered the bike I was looking at from my local. Large Top Fuel 9.8 XT. Yellow/Red/Purple fade combo.This is to replace a 15+ year old Giant Rainier so should be quite the upgrade.

The one up north got sold and the next one is 8 hours south and I'm just not gonna drive that far.

I got plenty of 2 wheeled transpo to keep me happy. My lbs guy said Trek had been pretty good with their dates so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

A lot of research and self debate went into this but its exactly what I want. A close shop is getting a 9.8 XTR in about 10 days but I don't want a divorce that bad . I can't justify the extra cheddar for the XTR model although I bet its sweet.
If you are replacing a bike then go for the XTR one especially if coming in stock. If you are keeping another bike then I might just go for the other. Just buy your partner something nice or take them out to dinner or something or just get the shop to print a faux receipt for a an extra $50
Old 02-20-22, 05:55 PM
Shawn of the Dead

If you are replacing a bike then go for the XTR one especially if coming in stock. If you are keeping another bike then I might just go for the other. Just buy your partner something nice or take them out to dinner or something or just get the shop to print a faux receipt for a an extra $50
I just bought a Domane SLR6 in August ......then built a Litespeed Classic this winter with all new Dura Ace components ...... last winter it was the Rainier rebuilt with all old school xtr components .... so number 1 ....I have a bike problem ....and number 2 ..... I have seriously blown the bike budget for the year. As badass as the xtr model would be I just can't justify dropping another 2500 bux on it and the XT will be plenty kick a$$ for my needs.
Old 02-20-22, 06:53 PM
Clark W. Griswold

I just bought a Domane SLR6 in August ......then built a Litespeed Classic this winter with all new Dura Ace components ...... last winter it was the Rainier rebuilt with all old school xtr components .... so number 1 ....I have a bike problem ....and number 2 ..... I have seriously blown the bike budget for the year. As badass as the xtr model would be I just can't justify dropping another 2500 bux on it and the XT will be plenty kick a$$ for my needs.
Fair dinkum. Though I wouldn't call it a problem. It is just being a collector and connoisseur.

XT is great but if you gotta wait that can suck. It is all waiting these days though so I guess that will continue.
Likes For veganbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.