Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 11:02 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Commenting as a Cat 3 "weekend after" quarterback
@mattm I think you had the "racing line" if you will at that 2nd last turn. You were on the inside, if you were trying to take the leadout man's wheel (theoretically - in sprints it's usually better to sit on the sprinter since the leadout man will just pull off early if his sprinter isn't on the wheel, and I didn't think you were trying to take the wheel) you were doing a perfect "back up into the spot" move. However the sprinter wanted his leadout man's wheel so he didn't back off and had some contact with you. If the sprinter didn't have a leadout man in front then I'd say that the sprinter was in the wrong, meaning the sprinter was a bit too aggressive. Seeing as the sprinter had a leadout man and it wasn't the last turn, it benefits everyone to leave the sprinter on the leadout man's wheel and let the sprint unfold a turn and a bit later.

From the leadout train position, where everyone was slightly to the right of the rider in front, I'm guessing the wind was coming from the left (slightly) along the straight where you simply rode next to the train. If so then that was a perfect move. If not then "backing into a spot" should have worked there - sit to the right of the person you want to sit on, ease up a bit, and move over a bit as your front wheel clears their pedals. The person on the wheel will have to move left to hold the wheel, taking him out of shelter. If they're determined to stay on the wheel then you let them hang there as you sit 1/3 overlapped with the primo wheel (sprinter in this case).

(On an aside if the wind was from the left, and I was the sprinter, I'd have screamed "RIGHT" as soon as my back wheel cleared the field, to get the first guy in the leadout train to go to the right. Deny others shelter by putting them in the gutter, get to the 2nd last turn quicker as it would be a straighter line.)

Based on the sprinter's jump, the gap they had on you (opened when they moved left before the last turn and you didn't move with them), I don't think jumping the leadout would have accomplished much. The only moment you could have gone is when they swung left and opened the gap on you. I don't know if there was someone to your left, etc, but if you'd gone super hard on the right it might have worked. I'm guessing the leadout guy would have been able to respond though, and the sprinter was sheltering better than you - he had a lot left in the tank. In fact, when the sprinter jumps, and you jump, the gap only opens up. If you'd led out the sprinter would have just had another leadout man.

The gap between you and the sprinter going into the last turn was critical. You'd have saved a lot of power accelerating if you'd been closer to the sprinter. For me a gap like that would mean using part or most of my jump simply to close the gap, forget about beating people, if I was able to jump at all. I'd have done everything possible to keep that gap as close as possible. The sprinter himself was keeping the gap closed to his leadout man, easing a bit in the turns I think as a precaution.

I was much more impressed with about the 1.5 to about 0.5 laps to go. You were sheltered, you really didn't go into the wind, etc, and then you moved up really well. Until then you were in the wind a lot. Granted, guys were coasting, so maybe it wasn't too fast? Still, though, no wind is better than wind, especially since you gave up those positions shortly after.
Yeah no I wasn't trying to take the leadout's wheel, I just kind of ended up pinched in the corner and not wanting to brake that close to the finish to send me backwards.

If I had squeezed through without bumping/slowing down my plan was to try to jump from there, since those guys beat me in every sprint. (Although I beat the winner in a 35+ race a few months ago by jumping early, but he was without his 20-somethings leadout train)

And yeah if I had gone inside when they swung out wide it might've worked for at least 2nd or 3rd, but oh well. Next time!

my race videos
Old 05-01-16, 11:09 PM
**** that

Golden State Circuit 1/2/3 - 5th today. 4th overall in the omnium.

+1 that this was a great event by @caloso 's team - thanks!! Only sad part was no Norcal-sized podium for this event, so I was left off the real podium.. =[

Just need to try harder next time I guess. But the courses were good, turnout was good, payout was decent.

I had planned on just following 1st-3rd around for the most part going in today, but about 15 minutes in I got bored and decided I'd try to sneak/get away instead. Tried 3 or 4 times, but never got much of a gap, or with the right group. Figured I'd at least mix it up a bit and get in some good training at worst.

Talked to @hack a bit - thanks again for sweeping that one corner in the crit! Probably helped me not crash.

Sorry you were on my wheel with 1k to go - I was way out of position and had to make up a ton of ground just to get to the real sprint, ended up 5th.

my race videos
Old 05-01-16, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

+1 that this was a great event by @caloso 's team - thanks!! Only sad part was no Norcal-sized podium for this event, so I was left off the real podium.. =[

Just need to try harder next time I guess. But the courses were good, turnout was good, payout was decent.

I had planned on just following 1st-3rd around for the most part going in today, but about 15 minutes in I got bored and decided I'd try to sneak/get away instead. Tried 3 or 4 times, but never got much of a gap, or with the right group. Figured I'd at least mix it up a bit and get in some good training at worst.

Talked to @hack a bit - thanks again for sweeping that one corner in the crit! Probably helped me not crash.

Sorry you were on my wheel with 1k to go - I was way out of position and had to make up a ton of ground just to get to the real sprint, ended up 5th.
I was surprised to see you back there, but figured I'd follow and hope for the best.
Old 05-02-16, 01:00 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by hack
I was surprised to see you back there, but figured I'd follow and hope for the best.
Shoulda stuck with me, you coulda been 6th!

my race videos
Old 05-02-16, 05:34 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I raced yesterday.

Ann Arbor Spring Training Series, C race cat 4/5 - 14th

The result is better than it looks. Since they moved to this course 2 years ago, I dont think I've finished a race once without getting dropped. The uphill portion has always killed me and with a few laps to go I have always popped. Not today..finally.

Got a good start, but drifted to about mid/back of the pack to get a feel of things since a lot of these guys havent raced yet this year..positioned myself where I wanted and started holding my position and actually started moving up. About 3/4s of the way through the race, with a guy off the front, I jumped around a couple guys to get to the front group...then I found myself in the front 3. Then I was on the front and rotating with 2 or 3 other guys for a couple laps trying to help chase the guy up ahead down. A few times I would flick my elbow and no one wanted to pull through..so I would let up making someone come around me. Once I realized we werent going to catch him I drifted back a little bit to try and recover for the finish, but I was never able to regain my spot up front..should have fought to keep up front. Passed a few guys in the sprint for 14th overall. At no point today did I feel like I was going to blow up and lose contact with the field.

After the **** race (that I should have never done) in March, I needed today. This is how I wanted to start the season

https://www.strava.com/activities/562406540/overview

Then I sat in the back of the B race for 10 minutes of lol before my legs wanted nothing to do with the race.
Old 05-02-16, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Nice racing @mattm and @Wylde06.

I did the 35+ 3/4's All American Road Race on Saturday with 58 of my closest friends or maybe I didn't know anyone. The course was a 10 mile loop with narrow roads and a little stair step climb in the middle and we did 5 laps. Before our race they moved the finish from a slight uphill sprint to the downside, so we had a downhill sprint to look forward to. The race was pretty uneventful with no one really getting away. The biggest gap of the day was 30". The climb did enough to whittle down the group and with no one really getting away (seems to be theme in the few races I've done here so far), so I mostly sat in and waited for the sprint. As we hit the last turn, there was a big jumble of riders and those pesky narrow roads. I was a little farther back than I wanted so I had to come from about 10th position as the road opened for the finish. The downhill sprint made it hard to make up ground but I ended up 6th.
Old 05-02-16, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Wylde06 it has been cool to watch your steady progress.
Old 05-02-16, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Nice finish considering where you started from in the last kilometer. I was fried at that point ... would have been a hazard to everyone in the finish.
Old 05-02-16, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts

I watch and it's hard for me to comprehend how hard you can go after you've been off the front, really impressive. It looked like you wanted to jump before the chicane but the bobbling rider in front threw you off - did you want to go from there? It looks like if you'd slipped through that might have been a done deal.

Also, I'm curious, I don't remember, do you run big aero wheels? I ask because I think those wheels would work well for someone like you that goes in breaks, that prefers to go from a long way out, and who actually sprints. Plus you're in races that tend to be strung out more than the races I do as a 3.

Someone pointed out to me, and I confirmed it, and now it's hard for me to let go - 1 mph is 1.5 feet per second. If you can get 1 mph in a 10 second sprint that's 15 feet. That's huge. I never thought of my wheels being worth "20 feet" but they are. I said something like that about 10 years ago, sort of off the cuff, and now I realize that in a 15-18 second sprint, my wheels actually were worth 20 feet compared to the wheels I used before, I just couldn't quantify it in some objective way. At any rate you're so close in these last two races, you're obviously strong enough...
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-02-16, 09:30 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

+1 that this was a great event by @caloso 's team - thanks!! Only sad part was no NATIONALS-sized podium for this event, so I was left off the real podium.. =[

ftfy
Old 05-02-16, 09:43 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Crashed out at Dana Point GP yesterday with two laps to go - damnit! I was feeling great, lots of presence on/near the front in the final laps and ready to make a big diff. for our protected rider who was number 1 in SoCalCup going into the race. But it's OK - because he won anyway!

They neutralized the race due to the number of riders down, and re-started it later with 2 laps to go, which is a little weird, but apparently he still had his head in the game. Also, he got tested by USADA afterwards (at cat 3??? wtf.), so that will make for a cool story.
Old 05-02-16, 09:50 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I watch and it's hard for me to comprehend how hard you can go after you've been off the front, really impressive. It looked like you wanted to jump before the chicane but the bobbling rider in front threw you off - did you want to go from there? It looks like if you'd slipped through that might have been a done deal.
Thanks. Yeah I wanted to go from there, at the latest. Even if the guy hadn't bobbled I'm not sure I would've made it to the corner first, which is what I wanted.

I was just waaaay out of position in the last 1k. I had put too many eggs in to the breakaway basket to be in the right place. So many breakaways it would've made @Ygduf proud!

Also, I'm curious, I don't remember, do you run big aero wheels? I ask because I think those wheels would work well for someone like you that goes in breaks, that prefers to go from a long way out, and who actually sprints. Plus you're in races that tend to be strung out more than the races I do as a 3.
404s. Could obvs go bigger, but these get blown around enough in the wind as it is. Never tried bigger wheels tho, so who knows.

my race videos
Old 05-02-16, 09:51 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by TMonk
Crashed out at Dana Point GP yesterday with two laps to go - damnit! I was feeling great, lots of presence on/near the front in the final laps and ready to make a big diff. for our protected rider who was number 1 in SoCalCup going into the race. But it's OK - because he won anyway!

They neutralized the race due to the number of riders down, and re-started it later with 2 laps to go, which is a little weird, but apparently he still had his head in the game. Also, he got tested by USADA afterwards (at cat 3??? wtf.), so that will make for a cool story.
Crash sucks, but it sounds like it turned out ok.

Anyone get busted by the testing??

my race videos
Old 05-02-16, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Golden State Circuit Race. 35+ 123 and the P123 races. Botched them both, sadly.

In the 35+, a break got away around half way into the race. I jumped to get across, was covered instantly by the team best represented in the break. I sat up, not so much because I was covered, but because I knew shortly after the jump I couldn't get across solo. Retreated to the field. Didn't get a good count on the break as they were quickly out of sight. Heard someone say it was 9 guys. Coming into the finish, I didn't put in much of a sprint, just kept speed up. Ended up 12th. Would have won some cash if I had tried since the break was only 5. Oh well.

P123 was fast, but manageable. Not a lot of action from me until the last lap. Camped on @mattm about 1k to the finish because well ... he finishes really well. He jumped up the right side, I followed. He jumped again about 300m from the chicane (finish is chicane then 100m sprint) I went to follow and right hamstring just locked up. I tried to pedal through it and recruit the quads, but they were done. Did all I could to keep speed up and take non scary lines through the chicane to coast in for 24th.

Good fun weekend of racing though. @caloso 's team can really put on an event.
Thanks. We're really glad you enjoyed it. We've been doing it long enough at that venue that we pretty much have the kinks worked out. We had some really good sized fields, probably because we didn't have to compete with Cat's Hill like most years. This year we added a charity dinner the night before, food trucks during the event, and just for fun a one-lap TTT.

I didn't have any particular personal goals other than to work for teammates. In the E3's we got our guy the overall with some really unselfish team racing. I was really pleased how we had a plan, stuck to it, and got our guy in position. Same deal in the 45+. That's the fun of bike racing.
Old 05-02-16, 01:18 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Crash sucks, but it sounds like it turned out ok.

Anyone get busted by the testing??
Thanks.

In regards to the doping, we're not sure yet, but hopefully not. As per usual, the Williams bro's dominated the P/1/2 (non-NRC) race scene around here. Such good racers.
Old 05-02-16, 01:27 PM
**** that

Thanks.

In regards to the doping, we're not sure yet, but hopefully not. As per usual, the Williams bro's dominated the P/1/2 (non-NRC) race scene around here. Such good racers.
yeah they are awesome - but I'm glad I don't have to race them too often! More fun to watch their awesomeness from a distance.

my race videos
Old 05-02-16, 01:46 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Cory had an exceptional performance yesterday - he rode in a break of 4 for most of the race, which got caught with ~5 to go, and still won the field sprint.

After the last corner, he and one other rider had ~5s on the field, and he jumped away in the sprint like the other guy was standing still. I'm not sure what happened on the back side of the course for them to get such a gap, but it happened. Justin won the kick from the bunch pack to take 3rd and round out another Williams podium.

It was great watching from a catered luncheon/beer garden right along ride the S/F line. He caught a standing ovation and clapping from all those in the vicinity, which was well deserved.
Old 05-02-16, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great work matt and Wylde! really enjoy the videos!
Sorry about the crash Tmonk. They were testing Masters racers at the AZ state crits last month, I don't think anyone got busted but I bet there were several scared guys!
Old 05-02-16, 06:20 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mattm you are having a really consistent year so far.
Old 05-03-16, 09:46 AM
**** that

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Mattm you are having a really consistent year so far.
Thanks.

Although after losing horribly (getting dropped) at Chico & San Dimas pro/1 races, it doesn't feel consistent enough! But glad to see latest training block pay off.

my race videos
Old 05-03-16, 10:30 AM

I've never heard of a Cat 3 being tested randomly, or their race targeted for testing, but I think that's a great thing.

Curious - were there rumors before the race that there'd be testing, or was it sort of a blindside kind of thing?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-03-16, 12:05 PM
Not actually Tmonk

It was a blindside sort of thing. Kind of neat, really - A bragging point for him!

Also, check out the following sweet vid of the crash. I'm rider number 892. You can see that I hit the primary perpetrator, and it seems that the rider who took the video is the one who ran me over and gave me the huge tire-shaped bruise on my back:

.be
Old 05-03-16, 12:12 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have no idea what happened there. Some guy just decided to ride sideways?

Edit, sorry now I see he crossed wheels and caromed completely across the road. What a mess, glad you're ok!
Old 05-03-16, 12:22 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
He 23 skidoo'd right across the road!
Old 05-03-16, 01:02 PM

It was a blindside sort of thing. Kind of neat, really - A bragging point for him!

Also, check out the following sweet vid of the crash. I'm rider number 892. You can see that I hit the primary perpetrator, and it seems that the rider who took the video is the one who ran me over and gave me the huge tire-shaped bruise on my back:

.be
Well that blew chunks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.