Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why is being a beginner/recreational cyclist with an expensive bike a crime?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why is being a beginner/recreational cyclist with an expensive bike a crime?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 02:01 AM
Cherch!!!11!1!Juan!Juan!

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintAndrew
to me i don't give a rip if some rookie wants to buy an expensive bike- it's his moeny whateva.

one thing i can't stand is posers though. you've all seen them, these guys have "the look" down pat. a huge pair of blue ice brikos, the full lotto team gear, the giro, the sidis, the ****ing C50.

don't get me wrong they're just spending their moeny how they want, but if you're going to to spend so much effort trying to be tom boonen, you should ride by tom boonen because getting all euro'd out and then getting passes by some kid on a mountain bike has gotta be embarassing.
why does it have to be embarrassing...your assuming they give a **** that your faster then them...for all you know they could care less.. sounds like you're worried about being faster then somebody else which could be just as bad as being worried about looking better then everyone else. i like nice things...so i buy nice things...i have never nor i will i ever look down on somebody else for enjoying a hobby that i happen to enjoy as well..the more the merrier...and with that i don't give a shiat how much faster someone is then me...unless we're racing no one cares but the guy trying to prove a point with his speed. i'll just think he's prick out to prove a self indulgent point. like i care. imo
Old 07-30-06, 02:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's about respect.
Old 07-30-06, 03:29 AM
Ottrott SE Rider

Bikes: Klein Qprocarbon, Lemond Tete de Course, Serotta Ottrott SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me purchasing a good bike is an investment. In my opinion if you have great gear it will last longer, be more enjoyable and get you to ride more. I've got two great bikes and I ride both about the same. My first bike was a Klien QPro Carbon with Ultegra components. My second bike is a Lemond Tete de Course with Dura Ace components. The contrast between two are amazing, but I like each bike for different reasons. Both should last me a life time. When I'm riding I do notice what others are also riding, just to see, not to compare. I like bikes, all types.

In my opinion, buy what you can afford and like. If you spend a little more on good equipment you'll probably ride more, be more comfortable and enjoy the sport.

~Apollo
Old 07-31-06, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
I had some fun with some poseurs yesterday. As I'm riding back from the training ride/race, I roll up to some guys with very expensive crotch candy and matching outfits and ask them how the training ride was. They say, "are you kidding, its dangerous riding in a big pack!"

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-31-06, 07:42 AM
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get jealous, I admit it. But it is fun to "hunt down" and overtake riders on fancy bikes. The looks on their faces are priceless.
Old 07-31-06, 09:49 AM
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When overtaking riders on expensive bikes and feeling all giddy with joy that you did something special, the joke may be on you as you have no idea how many miles they have in the legs at that point .. or whether the day's ride is just-for-fun.

The look on their faces as you pass may just be a startled look as bikes tend to be quiet especially when you throw in wind noise.

Is this more of a guy thing? What's with all this machismo about passing people and showing up folks on expensive bikes? My spin on the matter is that I am elated to see ANYONE out on ANY bike. HOWEVER, if you are on a mucho expensivo bike and your knees are at 90 degrees to the bike while pedaling, you should be shot on the spot and your bike donated to .. well, me, of course.
Old 07-31-06, 10:23 AM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankBattle
When overtaking riders on expensive bikes and feeling all giddy with joy that you did something special, the joke may be on you as you have no idea how many miles they have in the legs at that point .. or whether the day's ride is just-for-fun.

The look on their faces as you pass may just be a startled look as bikes tend to be quiet especially when you throw in wind noise.

Is this more of a guy thing? What's with all this machismo about passing people and showing up folks on expensive bikes? My spin on the matter is that I am elated to see ANYONE out on ANY bike. HOWEVER, if you are on a mucho expensivo bike and your knees are at 90 degrees to the bike while pedaling, you should be shot on the spot and your bike donated to .. well, me, of course.

― Bruce Lee
Old 07-31-06, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People usually ride by me so fast I am not sure what they are riding. I just make sure I do not get passed by the people on mountain bikes otherwise I could care less what you are riding. It is your money, buy whatever you want.
Kenal0
Old 07-31-06, 12:15 PM
i am eddy.

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone ever get smoked by someone on a better bike? i hear stories left and right about "i was rinding my 1974 SHaWin Varsity and smoked a guy riding a colonago".

or people do and they just dont want to admit it.
Old 07-31-06, 12:58 PM
Seńor Member

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal, Van Dessel Gin & Trombones, Rawland Stag, Bianchi SASS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the most part, I think that the higher end price tag in any fine art, craft, machinery, etc. is usually reflected in the details and minutia not readily apparent to those who aren't seasoned in the field. Most people probably couldn't tell you what the significant differences are between the Highlander sword replica in their mall cutlery shop versus a classical Kamakura era sword crafted by Masamune, or what makes a Stradivarius violin so special. The point is that the art that goes into these things needs to be respected--the sword needs to be handled properly; the violin needs to be played properly.

Avid collector's who understand this don't bother me, it's the one's who damage and neglect their trophy items that make me sad. It's like hacking at a brick with your vintage katana to show off to your friends, or if you only know how to sloppily and destructively hammer out "Smoke on the Water" power chords on your expensive Andalucian guitar. It would be just plain sad.

I am hardly high-caliber in anything, including cycling. And I, too, was guilty of disrespecting my drivetrain because I was a newbie didn't know how often you needed to check for chain stretch. Luckily, this lesson was learned on my mid-range, second-hand Veloce gruppo and not on <more> expensive Record or DA. I agree with shawnj73 who said he gets disappointed when he hears "popping, clanking, cracking, and squeaking noises" from expensive bikes.

Again, I believe we are talking about high-end bikes here ($5K+) whose design, materials, and componentry are made to edge in that last bit of speed around the hairpin turn to the finish or make your RAAM touring machine absolutely bomb-proof. I don't believe that I am of the caliber where the extra $4K will make a difference to my performance.
But if it makes you get off your couch and ride because you believe that the teardrop-shaped CF tubes are going to aerodynamically cancel out your splayed knees or the 28 spoke super-light wheelset will offset your extra 200 lbs, more power to you. Drop me or I drop you--who cares.

Respect your bike. Ride your bike.
Old 07-31-06, 01:00 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVO820
does anyone ever get smoked by someone on a better bike? i hear stories left and right about "i was rinding my 1974 SHaWin Varsity and smoked a guy riding a colonago".

I flat got smoked by a guy on an S Works Tarmac just yesterday! He outclimbed me, but I caught him on the DH. I ride an old Raleigh Pursuit, from around 1988, btw. Personally, I don't care wht you buy as a noob! If you can afford a Kestrel CF or an S Works Tarmac, or a full on custom build from "Real Expensive Bikes, Inc", more power, Bro! Go for it!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-31-06, 01:00 PM
Team Sohoku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We expect the guy on the Colnago to smoke the Varsity. It becomes news when it's the other way around. I get burnt (and rightly so) by great riders on killer bikes all the time, but I also return the favor when I can.
Old 07-31-06, 01:05 PM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenal0
People usually ride by me so fast I am not sure what they are riding. I just make sure I do not get passed by the people on mountain bikes otherwise I could care less what you are riding. It is your money, buy whatever you want.
Kenal0
I was wondering why you had a strange look in your eye when that mtb latched on after we "bombed" that downhill....

...I kept forgetting he was back there and wanted to yell "truck back!"

Old 07-31-06, 01:07 PM
Team Sohoku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Noooo...the fun goes like this: I'm riding at a brisk pace (I don't use a computer so who knows what "brisk" is.) I hear the tell-tale "clunk" of a geared bike behind me and the rider passes me without warning, without greeting and eyes fixed firmly ahead. I let him/her go. But soon enough, I can catch up and as I pull along side, I slow down and try to initiate conversation..or at least get a cheery "hello". When the rider seems annoyed, I do him/her a favor and pull ahead. When you're broke, it's fun to show off and prove it isn't the bike, but the rider.

Oh...and I did see a guy this weekend on a sexy gold Fuji road bike...in a full kit...knees bent as if he was squatting in the bushes...with white knee socks. I think he needs to donate his bike to you.
Old 07-31-06, 01:09 PM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts

SharkFins are much better rigs than ColdMangos. Steel > Carbon right??? I wouldn't be surprised if I saw someone on a ColdMango getting "smoked".

Old 07-31-06, 01:23 PM
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Apollo
For me purchasing a good bike is an investment. ~Apollo
Do you consider cars investments too? I'm glad that I don't prescribe to the Apollo school of economics....
Old 07-31-06, 01:26 PM
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skimming the majority of the posts, it seems like we're condemning the people who think it's ludicrous for the weekend warrior to cruise on his 5.9 Madone in full kit at 15 mph. However, there are plenty of those people with really expensive bikes who barely know how to shift that look down upon someone on a $1k bike.
Old 07-31-06, 01:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am personally a fan of having more bikes than one expensive one. Quantity over quality for me.

I am not sure that there is a whole lot of what the OP claims is happening on the forum. My feeling is that this forum tends to exert and upwards price pressure on gear. I know seeing gear posted makes me want it. One of Viperz’ thread had me considering a high zoot carbon seatpost. Before that I had never thought of my post as anything but the stick my saddle is attached to. When people post a great high end bike they bought, most comments are of the "nice bike" variety. We all like bikes, and we all like seeing them.

When people post asking if X upgrade is worth it or "should I buy Y versus Z" bike, then they get a wide range of opinions. Some advise that the step up in quality isn't worth the money. This seems reasonable to me.
Old 07-31-06, 01:36 PM
works for truffles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badkarma
Skimming the majority of the posts, it seems like we're condemning the people who think it's ludicrous for the weekend warrior to cruise on his 5.9 Madone in full kit at 15 mph. However, there are plenty of those people with really expensive bikes who barely know how to shift that look down upon someone on a $1k bike.

It works both ways. Judgmental budinsky-ism sucks any which way one chooses to look at it.
Old 07-31-06, 01:47 PM
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. At least once or twice a week, I go out on my bike and go for a nice recovery spin. I never look at the speedometer and just focus on keeping my heart rate in the first zone.

During these rides I will get passed by people in other bikes. Many seemed chuffed to be “smoking me” if I happen to catch up to them at a stop light.

Unless you are actually racing somebody, I would never assume to be beating anyone or faster than they are.
Old 07-31-06, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"buy the best you can and ride the hell out of it . Life is short."

Amen bro! Who cares what anyone else thinks, just ride.
Old 07-31-06, 04:00 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You reasonably expect to sell it for more than (you paid + cost of ownership)?

Originally Posted by Apollo
For me purchasing a good bike is an investment.

~Apollo
Old 07-31-06, 07:08 PM
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granny
You reasonably expect to sell it for more than (you paid + cost of ownership)?
Maybe it's a good investment in fitness. Maybe it's a good investment in terms of $/miles and then can be sold at a minimal loss, when factoring in the miles/years ridden.

As a personal point, I went to buy a beater car and spent $3k on it in '96. I still have it but it'll be going to charity soon, after 10 years (it was almost 10 years old when I got it) and about 50,000 miles later, I think it was a good investment. I will not get any money back from it but 3k over 10 years and 50k miles= good buy to me (and minimal repairs).
Old 07-31-06, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chances are if someone does smoke me, they're gonna be on a better bike. I ride an OCR-1 that has had several of its components downgraded.

And the way I see it, you don't have to be an awesome driver to buy a Porche or an M-3, why should you have to be an awesome rider to get a Madone? If you can reasonably afford it and you like it, more power to ya.
Old 07-31-06, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There have been a couple references in here about guys on bikes with their legs at 90 degrees?? What does that mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.