Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Wheelchairs in the bike lane?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Wheelchairs in the bike lane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
What if the side walk is in disrepair? If they're able to use the bike lane for these times, why not allow people in wheelchairs to use bike lanes all the time?
Because the former case is an exception, where as the latter would become a norm.
Old 05-12-09, 09:50 PM
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Because the former case is an exception, where as the latter would become a norm.
Why is that bad?
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Seems dangerous. I say go for it. You have to go into the traffic lanes to get around cyclists anyway, shouldn't be that big of a deal if you take the task seriously and don't wait until the last second. Although my experience driving on the interstate tells me most people have trouble with that concept.

Handcycles are cool, I wouldn't mind seeing them on the bike path at all. All of our bike paths are on side streets, there is almost no point to them.

I saw a couple riding their power chairs down the mup, blocking the whole thing. I was driving my car down a road nearby at the time. I was going to go get on my bike and explain the benefits of drafting to them, but lethargy got the best of me. At the speed they were going, old people with walkers would have to pass them on the grass, they would never be able to get out of the way of a bike or a jogger in time.

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Put the city council folks in a powered wheelchair and let them experience the problem.
Share the road!
Old 05-12-09, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Why is that bad?
Because cyclists are better than both cars and pedestrians and should always have priority.
We're having a hard enough time winning the road, so lets not give up our bike lane as well.
Old 05-12-09, 11:03 PM
gridlock junky

Bikes: 1944 JC Higgens Cruiser, 1988 Univega Aero Speed, 1993 GT Ricochet, 2005 Electra Cruiser, 2006 Cervelo Dual, 2007 IRO Mark V

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as an architect i'll bring up the issue of ramping and curb cuts at raised sidewalks as a requirement under the current "accessible path of travel requirements" of the American with Disabilities Act. those things cost way too much money for what they are. if you can get away from using them by drawing a path of travel into the street you just saved yourself part of the budget...

...to me this just sounds like a way the city could get around Federal requirements. value engineering at the cost of public safety.

i just dont understand why the "Barrier Busters" aren't lobbying for improved sidewalks!!! It doesn't take much for someone to go out with a tape measure, laser level and a wheel chair and take a trip around the city to come up with evidence for a class action lawsuit or something against the city in question.

maybe Mike Devereaux just gets a thrill "driving" his wheelchair in traffic.
i bet he just wants more open space to throttle that electric wheel chair into overdrive.
Old 05-12-09, 11:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone suggested demanding the side-walks be repaired? It's probably the best solution. As for addressing wheelchairs in bicycle lanes, it seems OK to me; the lanes are typically shared by skaters already, anyway: cyclists have no more "right" to it than others. Anything is a matter of being reasonable and not trying to be very absolutist: The point of bike-lanes is to separate slower-moving, more vulnerable traffic (i.e., bicycles) from heavy, fast, motorized vehicles (i.e., cars, trucks, buses). By my thinking, a wheelchair is more in line with a bicycle than with a Buick, and may benefit from using a bike-lane rather than a sidewalk when the latter is narrow/crowded/damaged/etc. As for "speed," it's a bit of an unfair criterion: neither are slow bikers thrown onto the sidewalk, nor hardcore racers permitted on freeways.
Old 05-13-09, 12:01 AM
沒有腳踏車的居民

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I saw a couple riding their power chairs down the mup, blocking the whole thing. I was driving my car down a road nearby at the time. I was going to go get on my bike and explain the benefits of drafting to them, but lethargy got the best of me. At the speed they were going, old people with walkers would have to pass them on the grass, they would never be able to get out of the way of a bike or a jogger in time.

Also, just ban cars, then anyone can be entitled to the road without the risk of being run down!

Honestly, they should try and have the sidewalks fixed, then go for bicycle lane usage if that does not work. I do not see a problem if they are abiding by the same laws, not randomly popping out in front of cyclists causing "oh shi" moments.
Old 05-13-09, 03:02 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
Has anyone suggested demanding the side-walks be repaired? It's probably the best solution.
Be careful of what you ask for. In Honolulu, the primary (only route) east out of Honolulu was reworked and widened (major project), new road surface, sidewalks and bike lanes. When it was finished, fire hydrants had been placed in the middle of the sidewalks. Wheelchairs could not get around them. The solution was to put sidewalk bulb outs into the bike lanes (even more dangerous than just the standard deadly bike lanes). Riding at night, it was extremely hard to see the bulb out = sudden endo.
Old 05-13-09, 06:58 AM
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Because cyclists are better than both cars and pedestrians and should always have priority.
We're having a hard enough time winning the road, so lets not give up our bike lane as well.
Oh jeez. Of course people in wheel chairs can't operate bicycles, so they're SOL.

And besides, it's not for you to judge how people decide to get around, even if they are fully mobile. Cars, bikes, walking on two feet, whatever.

Obviously, cars are better at some applications, bikes are better at others, and walking is better at others still. You're sounding foolish and sanctimonious.

People in wheel chairs face difficulties that most people don't even realize. Is it so hard to give them a break and let them use the bike lane if it's easier for them? Would it really make things so much worse for you?
Old 05-13-09, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Where do we draw the line?
Is a hand cycle a wheelchair or a bike?
Is a recumbent a wheelchair or a bike?
Is an adult tricycle with chair style seat a wheelchair or a bike?
Is a wheelchair racer https://howtoadapt.com/RacingWheelchair/1.jpg , a wheelchair or a bike?

I would side with, letting the operator decide.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I've had wheelchair racers just go blowing by me like I was standing still. This could get to be about splitting hairs.

Speedo
Old 05-13-09, 08:50 AM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Where do we draw the line?
Is a hand cycle a wheelchair or a bike?
Is a recumbent a wheelchair or a bike?
Is an adult tricycle with chair style seat a wheelchair or a bike?
Is a wheelchair racer https://howtoadapt.com/RacingWheelchair/1.jpg , a wheelchair or a bike?

I would side with, letting the operator decide.

Yeah, I don't really mind it at all. I have encountered one wheel chair in the bike lane- only problem - it was going the wrong way. I'd prefer they went with the traffic flow.

It's not like I see tons of people in wheelchairs on the sidewalk and how many of them might actually prefer or feel comfortable in a bike lane means we're not talking big numbers here.

BUT if I start seeing Segways, roller bladers, joggers etc in bike lanes then it becomes another issue.

Now the issue that it becomes may not, in the long run, be all that negative. What I mean by that is it's a kind of take back the streets thing. As more and more alternative vehicles take to the streets we'll start pushing the cars out. In other words, a bike lane won't suffice. We'll maybe end up with a "car lane" and everybody else can have the rest of the road or cars will start to be restricted from certain areas entirely. As in this article in yesterday's NY Times: In German Suburb Life Goes on Without Cars
Old 05-13-09, 09:42 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
Has anyone suggested demanding the side-walks be repaired? It's probably the best solution.
I agree, and not just for wheelchair users. I've seen more than my share of people tripping over pieces of sidewalk. Sidewalks that are that bad are basically impassible if you're in a wheelchair since you can't step over the really lumpy parts.
Old 05-13-09, 10:07 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Yeah of course they should be welcome to use the bike lane and roadway even when a sidewalk is present. The individual should make the judgment which is safest and practicable for any given stretch of highway.

The whole 'fix the sidewalk' argument is bogus. Yes they should be fixed, but that takes time and money and those in wheelchairs need to get around today.
Old 05-13-09, 10:11 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How sad for you; if we can't share our lanes with those with disabilities severe enough to require mobility devices, and we expect cars to tolerate us in their lanes, we are a very pathetic lot.
Old 05-13-09, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see no problems with it. Let 'em join us in the bike lane.

I lived in the city in question for about a year, and it does have some terrible sidewalks that I'd hate to ride a wheelchair on.
Old 05-13-09, 05:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a guy in this area uses a powered wheelchair in the bike lanes and occasionally in the right lane. It's equipped with an orange flag and reflectors. At the speed he goes it would not be safe for him to take the sidewalk. Motorists are much more careful around him (passing more slowly and giving a wider berth) than they are for cyclists.

I checked the Idaho Statutes and found this:

56-702. Right to full and free use of streets, highways, public buildings and public facilities. The blind, the visually handicapped, the hearing impaired, and the otherwise physically disabled have the same right as the able-bodied to the full and free use of the streets, highways, sidewalks, walkways, public buildings, public facilities, and other public places.

18-5811. Action required to avoid accident or injury to disabled person -- Prohibited intentional actions -- Penalties.(1) Any person, whether a pedestrian, operating a vehicle or otherwise, who approaches an individual appearing to be a disabled person or lawfully using an assistance device or assistance dog, and who:
(a)Intentionally fails to stop, change course, speak or take such other action as is necessary to avoid any accident or injury to the disabled person, the assistance device or dog, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six (6) months, or by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both.
Old 05-13-09, 08:32 PM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by con
How sad for you; if we can't share our lanes with those with disabilities severe enough to require mobility devices, and we expect cars to tolerate us in their lanes, we are a very pathetic lot.
Unfortunately, some places (Portland, for example), once a "bike lane" is built, we lose the right to use the rest of the road. So cars don't "tolerate us in their lanes." As I said in my first post, I'm fine with turning bike lanes into MUP's as long as cyclists are allowed to use the normal travel lanes whenever we think it's best.
Old 05-13-09, 08:48 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by con
Bicycles are, (in most places,) defined as vehicles; EAPMDs are not.
Old 05-13-09, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Soho 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't say wheelchairs shouldn't be allowed in bike lanes but bikes should be allowed in roadways without sounding like a fool.
Old 05-13-09, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Yeah, I don't really mind it at all. I have encountered one wheel chair in the bike lane- only problem - it was going the wrong way. I'd prefer they went with the traffic flow.

It's not like I see tons of people in wheelchairs on the sidewalk and how many of them might actually prefer or feel comfortable in a bike lane means we're not talking big numbers here.

BUT if I start seeing Segways, roller bladers, joggers etc in bike lanes then it becomes another issue.

Now the issue that it becomes may not, in the long run, be all that negative. What I mean by that is it's a kind of take back the streets thing. As more and more alternative vehicles take to the streets we'll start pushing the cars out. In other words, a bike lane won't suffice. We'll maybe end up with a "car lane" and everybody else can have the rest of the road or cars will start to be restricted from certain areas entirely. As in this article in yesterday's NY Times: In German Suburb Life Goes on Without Cars
Let them all have the bike lane. I like the road better. less garbage to give me a flat and smoother
Old 05-14-09, 05:09 AM
Dogs like me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People in wheelchairs are rightfully classified as pedestrians. If people in wheelchairs cannot use the sidewalks due to disrepair, the correct response is to REPAIR THE SIDEWALKS, not to put wheelchairs in the street.

People in wheelchairs often suffer from multiple disabilities that not only affect their ambulatory ability, but also their balance, sensory and cognitive functions. Putting people with these levels of deficiencies on the streets is dangerous for everyone involved.
Old 05-14-09, 06:13 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by craigR
You can't say wheelchairs shouldn't be allowed in bike lanes but bikes should be allowed in roadways without sounding like a fool.
You're right, except that in many places (Oregon, for example), once a bike lane is striped, we lose the right to use the roadway (unless we can convince a non-cyclist cop, a non-cyclist prosecutor, a non-cyclist judge, or a non-cyclist jury that we had a good enough reason to use their lane).

If bike lanes are going to be MUP's, we need to have the clear and unambiguous right not to use them.
Old 05-14-09, 06:48 AM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why is that bad?
Yes really. Why is this bad?
Old 05-14-09, 06:49 AM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
People in wheelchairs are rightfully classified as pedestrians. If people in wheelchairs cannot use the sidewalks due to disrepair, the correct response is to REPAIR THE SIDEWALKS, not to put wheelchairs in the street.

People in wheelchairs often suffer from multiple disabilities that not only affect their ambulatory ability, but also their balance, sensory and cognitive functions. Putting people with these levels of deficiencies on the streets is dangerous for everyone involved.
The ethical question is whether or not you should be able to restrict folks who have their full cognitive faculties available to them. I still don't see why it's a bad thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.