Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Is that what you're going to use in your defense in the case of an accident and you end up in court? Do you think all of the aformetioned "the cyclist" shoulda, coulda, woulda done this or that will get him let off? Good luck to anyone using that mantra in convincing a judge on your idea of common sense rather than the law.
Court is largely irrelevant to @phtomita's post.

Stand next to a truck, and get rolled over... Perhaps if one is lucky, lose both legs... ok, so perhaps a good payday from court, but one's life is vastly different from that point forward. Or... or course, there is death, in which one's family might sue.

I'd still rather ride safely, and survive another day. Perhaps donate a bicycle to the great garbage masher, but otherwise survive unscathed.

Ride defensively, and you may not be able to wheel into court in a wheelchair claiming you had the right of way... but, personally, I'd rather not get smashed up.
Old 07-11-18, 08:19 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Is that what you're going to use in your defense in the case of an accident and you end up in court? Do you think all of the aformetioned "the cyclist" shoulda, coulda, woulda done this or that will get him let off? Good luck to anyone using that mantra in convincing a judge on your idea of common sense rather than the law.
In a contributory negligence state, such as mine, that is exactly what a defendant would do. All such a defendant needs to show is that the plaintiff's behavior contributed in any way and to any degree in order to be cleared of all damages.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-11-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
We always have to ask ourselves if we really need to be in a danger zone.
But do we have a need... a need for speed?
Old 07-11-18, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
We were discussing delivery vehicles, like the articulated tanker truck in the OP. You're talking about passenger vehicles.
Yes we are, but you said:
"So you're okay having three times as many trucks on the road"

and my reply was regarding the size of the asian's vehicle requiring less gas therefore not as much refuelling trucks required there than here in America with their big gas guzzlers.
Old 07-11-18, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Yes we are, but you said:
"So you're okay having three times as many trucks on the road"

and my reply was regarding the size of the asian's vehicle requiring less gas therefore not as much refuelling trucks required there than here in America with their big gas guzzlers.
Regardless of the mileage of the end users of the gas, I was talking about getting products to marketplace using big tankers vs. small tankers. Those are the only "trucks" MTB Addict and I were discussing. Whether people are burning more or less gas, that doesn't make a small tank truck less inefficient.
Old 07-11-18, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Regardless of the mileage of the end users of the gas, I was talking about getting products to marketplace using big tankers vs. small tankers.
So put triples on our city streets already, even more “efficient.”

Zero vision.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-11-18 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 12:28 PM

She doesn't seem to have much for street smarts.
Wow, all from a few seconds clip. Have YOU had to get out of the way of an inept CDL operator? Any dash cam footage demonstrating your smarts?

So again, nobody has learned lesson one about combination vehicles.

-mr. bill
Old 07-11-18, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by tungsten
As I said above "off-track" is a concept unimaginable to most of the general public. Possibly even to the driver of that rig. lol...
Again, all front steering vehicles “off-track.” Even bicycles, which you can prove to yourself trivially.

-mr. bill
Old 07-11-18, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
So put tripples on our city streets already, even more “efficient.”

Zero vision.

-mr. bill
What's a "tripple"? Isn't the the tank truck shown in the video a triple already?

Vision of what?

Would you care to decode your post so we can all understand it?

Last edited by Kontact; 07-11-18 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 12:42 PM

What's a "tripple"? Isn't the the tank truck shown in the videa a triple?

Vision of what?

Would you care to decode your post so we can all understand it?
What’s a “videa?”

The one in the “videa” is a double.

Triple.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-11-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 12:49 PM

What’s a “videa?”

The one in the “videa” is a double.

Triple.

-mr. bill
It is a double. Do you think a triple would be able to negotiate the turns on city streets? All the triples I've seen on are freeways.

Zero vision about what?
Old 07-11-18, 12:56 PM

It is a double. Do you think a triple would be able to negotiate the turns on city streets? All the triples I've seen on are freeways.
To date trucks don’t “NEGOTIATE” city streets. Operators “NEGOTIATE” city streets.

When an inept operator crashes into a bridge, we don’t blame the bridge.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-11-18 at 01:11 PM. Reason: because literalist....
Old 07-11-18, 01:03 PM

To date trucks don’t navigate city streets. Operators navigate city streets.

-mr. bill
Why are you bringing up navigation? Did I say "navigate"?

Again, what's the "vision" comment about?
Old 07-11-18, 01:52 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
It has turned into the typical BF nerd fight.
Old 07-11-18, 02:14 PM

To date trucks don’t “NEGOTIATE” city streets. Operators “NEGOTIATE” city streets.

-mr. bill
It's another way of referring to turn radius, which is mechanical, not based on driver skill.

For the fourth time, what is "Zero vision"? Was this just the result of another problem you have understanding words? Why do you keep avoiding replying?
Old 07-11-18, 02:47 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Depends on how long the load it and whether or not the object is in his aided field of vision.

On top of that the driver is trying to make a complex turn with a JOINTED vehicle, and if you've ever pulled and backed up with a simple trailer you'll realize the mechanics of this are a lot trickier than a single vehicle. But then again, try a school bus or large delivery truck (like the beer truck).

These things are why commercial drivers are often required to get a special license with special training.
Old 07-11-18, 02:52 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Considering that the truck is turning into a driveway, how would a curbed cycle lane have stopped this accident?

I didn't see a turn signal when the cyclist was behind the truck. The only real takeaway is to not pass large trucks on the right in areas with driveways.
It wouldn't stop the accident because the curbed bike lane would have a break in the curb for the driveway.

But if traffic is stopped, why wouldn't a cyclist filter up to the front? The truck appeared to be stopping, assumedly for the traffic light. If you assume that every vehicle can turn into every driveway, how can you even ride?

Originally Posted by ptempel
You'll get killed riding next to large vehicles turning like that. This reminds me of the saying "if you can't see me, then I can't see you" that I saw on some trucks. I would need to see eye contact from the driver to continue. Otherwise, stay behind. You also need to look at the front wheel to see if its turning or not. Too many cars don't use a turn signal in the city here. I think trucks are better on that from what I've seen.
Again, if the perception is that the truck was slowing for the stop light at the intersection (rather than in preparation for a turn), wouldn't you expect the cyclist to filter to the front?

Originally Posted by 88Tempo
The bicycle rider did nothing "legally" wrong, but IMO she was very wrong to hang out by the passenger door of the big rig.

Every vehicle has blind spots where mirrors can't see, she might very well have been in one. I do agree the truck driver should of remembered passing her earlier.

That is absolutely the worst spot to be especially on something as small as a bicycle.

Did anyone else notice that she swerved over the line closer to the truck at one point?
Well sure, because she perceived the truck as essentially stopped I think.

A few thoughts in response to the quoted posts and the situation in general: Several people say that the cyclist shouldn't pass on the right. But it appears there was stop-and-go traffic as they approached an intersection. I'm not sure if there was one here, but when there are bike boxes, aren't riders *supposed to* pass the stopping/stopped motor traffic to get up to the bike box? It looks like that what she was trying to do.

Passing a truck close to a potential right turn at an intersection is asking for trouble, but based on when the blinkers came on, there was virtually no indication that the truck was going to turn into the driveway. Even the sounds of a decelerating truck does not indicate it's going to turn... remember the traffic was stop-and-go.

Yes, a savvy cyclist will see the danger without even thinking about it too much, and take appropriate action, but really I look a the cyclist in the video and it's hard for me to blame her. She's in the bike lane. She has the right of way. Traffic is stopping so she's going to ride the bike lane to the bike box (or at least the stop line in the bike lane at the front of the intersection), and there's really no reason for her to expect the truck she's alongside to suddenly cut her off. No, it's not smart to pass on the right, but if the truck had slowed down enough that she thought it was simply stopping in its lane, why would she suspect it might suddenly be a danger? Luckily she's got experience now and didn't lose her life getting it.

And from the truck driver's side, he's absolutely supposed to be aware of the bike lane and whether there are bikes in it, but he probably makes similar turns into gas stations 5 times a day and he'd never even seen a bike in a bike lane that he had to turn across before. Yes he should be aware of the possibility, but when you never have personal experience with bikes you kind of grow numb to the possibility.

I don't know... this one really bothers me.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 07-11-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 02:59 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I'm going to stop right here and give the blame to the cyclist for lack of knowledge and a few other judgement call failures. Fortunately she will live to know better and ride again and if lucky the driver's insurance company will repair/replace the parts or bike.

Cautionary tale.
Old 07-11-18, 03:06 PM
What happened?

And one last thing...triple trailer rigs usually head straight to the delivery point or shipping center and unload or scan, relump before returning to the road. Or the truck stop. I've seen local drivers who park their bobtails next to their house or in their driveway too.

But no, you can't get multiple trailers through most city traffic, that's why they make 'truck routes'.
Old 07-11-18, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doohickie
It wouldn't stop the accident because the curbed bike lane would have a break in the curb for the driveway.

But if traffic is stopped, why wouldn't a cyclist filter up to the front? The truck appeared to be stopping, assumedly for the traffic light. If you assume that every vehicle can turn into every driveway, how can you even ride?
Just like the cars - no faster than the traffic ahead I guess. The cyclist would just ride in their lane behind the truck until the truck turned off or came to a complete stop at a long enough light for the bike to go to the front.

My point is that a separated and curbed bicycle traffic lane offers no added protection when it isn't there around driveways, and cars are unlikely to turn into the bike lane when there isn't a right turn to be had..
Old 07-11-18, 03:19 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
It has turned into the typical BF nerd fight.
Old 07-11-18, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
And one last thing...triple trailer rigs usually head straight to the delivery point or shipping center and unload or scan, relump before returning to the road. Or the truck stop. I've seen local drivers who park their bobtails next to their house or in their driveway too.

But no, you can't get multiple trailers through most city traffic, that's why they make 'truck routes'.
One exception seems to be gasoline tankers. When I was growing up, we had "double bottom" tankers in my state, and after a number of spectacular crashses, they were outlawed. The truckers argued that they needed the flexibility of a double trailer to get in and out of the smaller gas stations. In any event the gas stations all got rebuilt due to leaking underground tanks anyway, and the new ones can accommodate a regular tank truck.
Old 07-11-18, 11:04 PM

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Got a close call today.
I went for a short ride at evening - mostly flat on paved trail.
There is a secondary trail that connects to the main one, and a lady comes out on her bike and turns left and her husband/partner stops.
So, I just kept pumping but when I get to the T, a little bike shows up and if I were 1 second later probably had crashed with the little kid.

Lesson learned - will slow down next time in this kind of situation.
Old 07-11-18, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Maybe we could just install underground gas and diesel lines to the stations, and no need to drive the tankers through town.

For that matter, run the lines to the houses, so one can just fill up in the garage.
Old 07-12-18, 12:03 AM
What happened?

There was that horrible natural gas pipeline explosion a few years ago that caused fatalities, if you had forgotten.

Or was that a petroleum pipeline that was breached by excavations...

anyway it killed two kids.

Last edited by Rollfast; 07-12-18 at 02:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.