Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can you really ride a Domane as fast as a race bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can you really ride a Domane as fast as a race bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 07:20 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you like the bike you ride it will be faster than if you wish you had bought the other bike. Be happy and move on.
Old 08-13-15, 08:36 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
In bold is often lost on many as you correctly write Robert. But is just isn't mechanical like elastomers, suspension pivots or suspension seatposts. Its about the wheelbase and angles of the frame that give it its compliancy. An often lost fact is with careful frame selection a rider can typically ride very slammed on an endurance bike like a crit bike if that is the goal...but still have the benefit of relaxed frameset angles that make the frame more stable and ride better over rough surfaces.
Thanks for adding that. I knew there were other factors, but I just couldn't think of any and was in a hurry to finish up the post before a movie was set to start. This raises the question: what models are offered that include the comfort factors you and I have listed but with more aggressive geometry? And if not, why not? Sure, as we have said, the geometry of the finished bike can be adjusted quite a bit, but it would seem there would be a market for the aggressive frame geometry coupled (pun) with comfort factors other than upright riding position.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-13-15, 08:46 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Thanks for adding that. I knew there were other factors, but I just couldn't think of any and was in a hurry to finish up the post before a movie was set to start. This raises the question: what models are offered that include the comfort factors you and I have listed but with more aggressive geometry? And if not, why not? Sure, as we have said, the geometry of the finished bike can be adjusted quite a bit, but it would seem there would be a market for the aggressive frame geometry coupled (pun) with comfort factors other than upright riding position.
I think in large part its the perception that these bikes are "comfort bikes" not "race bikes",

a belief that implicitly underlies the OP's question.

We are starting to get to the point, that "race bikes" have more comfort features built in, i.e. Bianchi's countervail, C'dales speedsave.

The line between "comfort" "endurance" and "race" bike is likely to continue to blur.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-13-15, 08:50 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I'm looking at the Trek website now...you can get the Koppenberg Edition Frameset with the H1 geometry...that would be the fit Spartacus rides.
Old 08-13-15, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Thanks for adding that. I knew there were other factors, but I just couldn't think of any and was in a hurry to finish up the post before a movie was set to start. This raises the question: what models are offered that include the comfort factors you and I have listed (e.g. elastomers, suspension pivots or suspension seatposts) but with more aggressive geometry? And if not, why not? Sure, as we have said, the geometry of the finished bike can be adjusted quite a bit, but it would seem there would be a market for the aggressive frame geometry coupled (pun) with comfort factors other than upright riding position.
Don't a lot of those factors require some type of weight penalty? And for people that like a certain pedal, because it weighs 50 grams less than another pedal, wouldn't the weight penalty of those factors cause a lot of racers to discount a bike that "weighs more"? So manufacturers don't add these things to "race" bikes.

GH
Old 08-13-15, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Don't a lot of those factors require some type of weight penalty? And for people that like a certain pedal, because it weighs 50 grams less than another pedal, wouldn't the weight penalty of those factors cause a lot of racers to discount a bike that "weighs more"? So manufacturers don't add these things to "race" bikes.

GH
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For example, the "comfort" changes made to the SuperSix or Emonda SLR don't seem to have hurt the weight at all. Maybe they could've shaved another 20g, but that's very hard to say. Bianchi's CV technology probably adds a few grams to the frames, but since its really just an extra few layers in layup its not much. The elastomers, pivots, etc will all add weight, but really you're talking about ~100g total, so unless you're running full DA/Red/SR and carbon tubulars, there's plenty of other options to drop equivalent weight without sacrificing comfort & performance.

Pro level endurance bikes are still under UCI limits, and that's with power meters, computers, etc.
Old 08-13-15, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, with the Lord all things are possible.
Old 08-13-15, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good time to buy a Domane. All Domane prices dropped $200ish
Old 08-13-15, 03:24 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
My Domane and Bianchi come from different starting points (endurance vs. race geometry), but have ended up at the same place fit wise--same drop, same reach, same saddle position, etc.

With the Domane that means as low of a front end as possible without changing stems (flipped with no stack), whereas the Bianchi could go lower if my 58 year body suddenly regained the suppleness of youth.

Weight-wise, the Domane is a half pound lighter, coming in at 16 lbs. with pedals and cages and computer, largely a factor of DA di2vs. Ultegra and some mechanical parts on the Bianchi like an interrupter brake, cable splitter, and a bar end shifter on a snubbed off aero bar extension.

Bottom line: in a hard effort, somewhat flat solo half hour, the Domane is about 1 mph faster (roughly 23 vs. 22). It climbs faster as well. I chalk most of it up to the wheels (same weight but slight aero).

But to the OP's question, I am as low as I go on both bikes, so it's not a true test, other than to say that at 75 miles and beyond, the Domane wins hands down.
Old 08-13-15, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marin
All that matters is you body position on the bike. If you ride with your elbows locked and arms straight, then a higher hand position - from stack, spacers, stem, bars, ergo position - will translate into a more upright position, more drag, and less speed.

If like most people you can bend your elbows and lean forward, you'll be able to reach a similar position on almost any road bike that fits you, and will thus be able to reach the same speed.

Comfort has been shown to depend mosty on tire quality and pressure, with frame compliance being only a very small factor.

Yep, Eddie could get low on a steel bike with a horizontal top tube just fine.
He probably has 3" of drop in this picture.

Sure, you can get a ridiculous amount of HB drop on a Madone, but it looks like you can still get 3 or 4 inches on a Domane. It's not going to force you to ride upright like you're on a beach cruiser.

Just look at the pictures on the two models main pages.

Domane - Trek Bicycle

Madone - Trek Bicycle

Last edited by andr0id; 08-13-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclistca
Really unless you are a top pro it's more about the engine then the bike. A couple of guys I ride with are on Roubaix an they certainly are faster than I am on my Emonda.
A Porsche engine in a VW vs. a VW engine in a Porsche.
Old 08-13-15, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id

Sure, you can get a ridiculous amount of HB drop on a Madone, but it looks like you can still get 3 or 4 inches on a Domane. It's not going to force you to ride upright like you're on a beach cruiser.

Domane - Trek Bicycle

Madone - Trek Bicycle
Eddy was more aero on the tops than most BF members will ever get in the drops.
Old 08-13-15, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
At what speed do you notice this?
Sounds like confirmation bias.

Without power meter data and duplicated/multiple examples to back this up, I'm betting the difference is a lot smaller than 1.5mph.
Old 08-13-15, 07:00 PM

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
^ so, his frame tends to set up with a lower position.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people can set up an off the rack Domane as aero as they need to be, or can handle, with the right stem, frame size, spacers.

So if you actually "get it". the answer to your question is simple: given the geometry, most notably head tube length, can I fit on a Domane with the amount of seat to bar drop I need?

If the answer is yes, then yes, if its no (which I doubt) then no.

The answer is found in actually swinging a leg over the top tube.

Thanks! Okay, that makes sense and seems pretty simple. So it's basically about whether I can adjust the fit, as you said.

I noticed a couple other responses also delved into the notion that other frame features, besides geometry, that make you more comfortable may lead to increased speed. But it sounds like this might be subject to some debate. Very curious. It would be fun to be a bike designer and actually study all these factors in a controlled way...
Old 08-13-15, 07:26 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530
Sounds like confirmation bias.

Without power meter data and duplicated/multiple examples to back this up, I'm betting the difference is a lot smaller than 1.5mph.
I asked because above 45kph or so it might be, but I doubt it happening at slow speeds.
Old 08-13-15, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I asked because above 45kph or so it might be, but I doubt it happening at slow speeds.

Yeah, I admit it wasn't scientific. I don't have a power meter. (That's why I said "with the same perceived effort": so no one thought I was trying to be numerical on this.)

But here's what I did. Same 1/2 mile stretch of road with my hands on the hoods and bars in two different position: (a) all the way up; (b) slammed. I hit each with the same perceived effort. First ride was 21.6 mph, second was 22.9. So about 1.3 difference. No wind that day.

Why the differences? I can't say for sure. Apart from bar positioning, a few other plausible explanations:

- Wind changed direction
- My arms were more bent in the lower position so the aero difference was more pronounced than indicated just by bars being lower
- Engaged different muscles in a way that gave me more power
- I had more energy on the second ride

I may never know. But this is one of the reasons I started this thread. I'm genuinely interested to know how different rider positions affect average speed.
Old 08-13-15, 08:03 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
Rider position isn't determined only by bar height IMO. You can see inexperienced riders on the drops who still are fairly upright, while the pros can achieve a horizontal back while on the hoods.
Old 08-13-15, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I think in large part its the perception that these bikes are "comfort bikes" not "race bikes",

a belief that implicitly underlies the OP's question.

We are starting to get to the point, that "race bikes" have more comfort features built in, i.e. Bianchi's countervail, C'dales speedsave.

The line between "comfort" "endurance" and "race" bike is likely to continue to blur.

Yes, exactly, but let me tweak that. I'm not sure if I believe it... I'm inquiring to learn if it's true. As I'm reading through all the marketing material and reviews, I want to be able to distinguish fact from hyperbole. And as I get into this, I'm interested in the science behind why certain bikes and certain frames are faster than others -- given the SAME RIDER. i.e., what's the difference between the bikes themselves? I'm not trying to make some claim that a Domane isn't fast enough for me. When people think this is the claim, they write things like "well it's fast enough for Spartacus." But that's not my intention.

Case in point: Cervelo's marketing seems to make an excellent case, if one believes the math, that aerodynamics more than compensate for a little additional weight. One might dispute the math, but at least there's some math behind it.

But when I read Trek's marketing material for the Domane, and when I read all the reviews in favor - or against - it, I feel like a lot of it is subjective. They say "comfort makes you faster". Apart from this, I'm curious about the objective things: is it weight, is it aerodynamics, does the 'endurance fit' lead to a biomechanical advantage that yields more power? I'm merely interested to know to satisfy curiosity.

Last edited by bigcicero; 08-13-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 08:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
If you like the bike you ride it will be faster than if you wish you had bought the other bike. Be happy and move on.
Thanks, this is a little gem to remember when I'm ready to make a purchase.
Old 08-13-15, 08:12 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcicero
Okay, so I have a question for someone more experienced than me. I'm looking around at new bikes, and I keep asking myself the same question. I've read all the marketing lingo about the Domane and the Roubaix. (But let's focus on the Domane to make this simple.) All the marketing, promotional stuff, and reviews say you can ride the Domane as fast as any other race bike. I can understand if they're talking about a 50+ mile ride, where fatigue may slow a rider over distance on a less comfortable bike.

--> But what about sprints, or 10-20 mile rides where fatigue isn't the defining factor? Is the claim still true?

Given how high the head tubes are, all things being equal the aero drag will be much greater on a Domane than a regular road racer, like a Madone H1, and I bet it would be more fatiguing to keep yourself in a lower aero position on the Domane than the Madone, where the fit is naturally low with longer reach. I realize that you can ride ANY bike faster if you can put down more power, but my question is about comparing the same rider on different bikes.

Curious to hear how much of the marketing buzz is true. Thanks!
If you need a more aero position than a stock Domane offers, can't you simple swap out the stem for one with more down angle?

That said, I have written programs to calculate the stem required to get my preferred position on stock bikes. Most stock bikes require stems that I consider unreasonable and I steer clear of them.

Ben
Old 08-14-15, 04:08 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcicero
Thanks! Okay, that makes sense and seems pretty simple. So it's basically about whether I can adjust the fit, as you said.

I noticed a couple other responses also delved into the notion that other frame features, besides geometry, that make you more comfortable may lead to increased speed. But it sounds like this might be subject to some debate. Very curious. It would be fun to be a bike designer and actually study all these factors in a controlled way...
I am sorry to tell you, but you are being very simplistic about your so called study. One only has to extrapolate from the pros...flat stages...cobbles stages...climbing stages. Pros now more than ever choose a different bike from the same mfr for each. So it isn't if a given frame is faster. No. Its the type of course that dictates the bike of choice. A Tarmac is faster in climbing stages than a Venge. A Venge is fastest on flat stages and a Roubaix faster on rough surfaces like classics races. It is even much more nuanced if you really start to understand the tradeoffs....why a Tarmac may sprint better than a Venge even though at 40 mph and above the Venge will have an aero advantage.

For the amateur however much of the above become less relevant. So first you need to decide what the bike is going to be used for....what type of riding. For example if you ride a hilly century, an endurance bike may still be better than a pure climbing bike after 50 miles of riding due to less fatigue...in particular if the road isn't pool table smooth. What type of roads...elevation change and even fitness of the rider. A less flexible more average rider will generally prefer an endurance geometry to a race geometry...friendlier position...less weight on the hands....better ride quality and less fatigue relative to distance. There are no absolutes about frame choice....depends on terrain and topography and rider fitness.
Old 08-14-15, 05:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A Domane is a race bike.

Ask Fabian Cancellara.

Some of these threads are pretty interesting. In an amusing sort of way.
Old 08-14-15, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id

Domane - Trek Bicycle

Madone - Trek Bicycle
Five rear gears and no power meter. Toe clips. Amazing stuff.

I had a bike exactly like that. I wish I still did. They took it back at the end of the season.