Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hls811
Thank you! I've for a C17 on the way, I'm excited to give it a try!
Be sure to post how you like it. I'm currently drooling over them after reading this thread...
Old 04-22-20, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Durde_cecof
Be sure to post how you like it. I'm currently drooling over them after reading this thread...
Actually.. its on its way back!

I did not like it - at all.. Granted, it was a 15 mile ride with it on but it just was not comfortable and I didn't like the texture, it felt very grippy. From all of the feedback and reviews I've read of the C17 was that it was more 'broken in' or needed much less of a break in period than the B17.. If it was ready to go out of the box, I wasn't thinking it would get much better. The B17 on the other hand, I know comes very hard and requires a break in, but at the end of the break in its supposed to be even more comfortable. I just figured I'll put in the "effort" to break it in and get what I want in the long run. The B17 is on its way now..
Old 04-22-20, 07:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually.. its on its way back!

I did not like it - at all.. Granted, it was a 15 mile ride with it on but it just was not comfortable and I didn't like the texture, it felt very grippy. From all of the feedback and reviews I've read of the C17 was that it was more 'broken in' or needed much less of a break in period than the B17.. If it was ready to go out of the box, I wasn't thinking it would get much better. The B17 on the other hand, I know comes very hard and requires a break in, but at the end of the break in its supposed to be even more comfortable. I just figured I'll put in the "effort" to break it in and get what I want in the long run. The B17 is on its way now..
Interesting! Makes total sense though that if you didn’t like it now, you won’t like it later. When you get the B17 then, post a pic. I’ve got the same color DS3 and would like to do SOMETHING new to it this season. I like that you found some cages that match the paint well too. It’s all in the details...
Old 04-25-20, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Potential DS Buyer

Hi! I was wondering about pricing for a 2013 8.3 DS. Someone is selling nearby for 400 dollars usd. Is that a good price for one of these?
It is in pretty good condition, very clean.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-20, 05:24 PM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Hi; $400 for a 7 year old DS may be a little steep. That said, it may be worth it to you if it's in a color and size you want, and it's in perfect condition. It may need tuning and adjustment, so be sure to factor that into your total outlay if you can't or don't desire to do that sort of thing yourself. I don't have any affiliation with this seller, but there's a 2014 8.4 DS on my local Facebook Marketplace for $350.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4880620241609/

I personally think it's a $250 bike, but local markets do vary.
Old 04-25-20, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the Portland OR area where there are a loooot of people buying and selling bikes. You cant find a lot of good bikes for cheap unfortunately. He would only go down to 400. Planning on taking it to a LBS to get it tuned up as I am very new to this stuff but want to learn more.

I havent made 10 posts yet so it wont let me post the listing.
Old 04-25-20, 05:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2766831038877/

Should work now. How does it look?
Old 04-26-20, 08:01 AM

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by ellaberg

Poor deal, IMO, but one decides value for oneself. Be aware that the description and link are of another bike; the bike for sale is pretty basic, it does NOT have race geo, hidden cables, G2 go, or deore anything.

I took a look at Portland CL, there are pretty standard prices and some better bikes at better prices. To buy a used bike cheap, it helps to know a lot about bikes. Expecting to read an ad that identifies properly the bike and offers a great deal is rare so one must be able to see a bad pic and instantly identify the bike and parts. Older bikes are where one finds deals, don't be afraid of age - look at quality and condition. Good luck, and act quick as true deals are gone fast.
Old 04-26-20, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Poor deal, IMO, but one decides value for oneself. Be aware that the description and link are of another bike; the bike for sale is pretty basic, it does NOT have race geo, hidden cables, G2 go, or deore anything.

I took a look at Portland CL, there are pretty standard prices and some better bikes at better prices. To buy a used bike cheap, it helps to know a lot about bikes. Expecting to read an ad that identifies properly the bike and offers a great deal is rare so one must be able to see a bad pic and instantly identify the bike and parts. Older bikes are where one finds deals, don't be afraid of age - look at quality and condition. Good luck, and act quick as true deals are gone fast.

Would you be able to give an example of that? I noticed it was the wrong bike. Not sure if he is unaware of that or is doing it on purpose.
I will take a look at craigslist.
Old 04-26-20, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My take (so far) on cycling clubs

For most of my life, I've never been much of a joiner. Not that I'm that much of a rugged individualist, but when you're with a group you're subject to what the group wants to do and how they do it and so if I want to stop and smell the roses or zip by them as fast as I like, the rest of the group might not have the same idea. So has been my experience with cycling clubs such as the one I found through the Meetup groups. Not being any kind of endurance or competitive rider I can only handle the rail-trail type of experience so I went on a couple of different rides with them, one of which was the Lower Susquehanna Heritage Greenway Trail, which was actually very interesting. There are a lot of eagles nesting just below the dam on Rowland Island, and then further along we checked out the historic Rock Run Grist Mill which is part of the Susquehanna State Park. After we got back we all headed by car to Port Deposit and had a nice lunch at Lee's Landing which is where this newbie was able to get to the know the others better. It was nice but here's the downside, for me anyway. While I'm no speed-racer I do like to keep going but this group seemed to like to stop to look at everything along the way like it was some kind of tour group more than a calorie-burning bike ride. Sure we cycled to get there and back but the leaders of the group were always going a lot slower than I would have normally liked, giving my brakes a good workout but me not so much. Nice people, neat things to look at but not much exercise.

Maybe I'll search out the groups for something better this summer but for now, it's just me and the trail.
Old 04-26-20, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Speaking of trails - NW Lancaster County River Trail Review

Northwest Lancaster County River Trail

So far it's my favorite one to ride, and as I've mentioned before, you need to hit it early in the morning if you want it basically all to yourself. Given that I'm a little bit out of shape but slowly-but-surely working on increasing my endurance this trail is perfect. If you've ridden it already then I'm preaching to the choir but if not here are my positives about it. Apologies if it's been written about before however I'm new to all this and don't really have much of anything else to relate that's cycling-related.

This trail is for all intents and purposes flat although there are plenty of little ups and downs here and there where I find myself shifting up and down accordingly. It's all paved except for the section between Robert K. Mowrer Dr. and S. Bank St, in Marietta (which is a great little town btw) where you can either bike past the townhouses on Donegal Pl to the beginning of E. Front St. past the houses and then go up over the tracks at S. Bank St. and pick up the trail there, or go to the parking lot at the end of RK Mowrer Dr. where there's an unofficial short dirt trail that will take you back to the main trail at S. Bank St. So as is the case with any dirt trail beware of mud there. From that point on all the way to Bainbridge, it's a wide paved trail with changing scenery, great views of the Susquehanna River, plenty of places to stop (my fav is at River Front Park), lots of picnic benches, park benches, porta-potties, a snack bar at the Furnace Rd. entrance, and as I've mentioned before in another post the *****-tonkin' little Bainbridge Inn itself (which is closed of course but might be doing take-out by now). Starting in Columbia it's about 11 miles long but you don't have to start at one end or the other either as there are many parking lots at various points along the way. The county does a nice job of maintaining the trail although thanks to a recent storm there were a couple of fat fallen logs last week that had not yet been cleared that need to be circumvented.
Old 05-01-20, 08:17 AM

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Question raising handlebars on ds3

Can the handlebars be raised on my ds 8.3 If so what is the procedure? Thanks
Old 05-01-20, 08:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I brought my DS 3 to the shop with this question, and was told I needed a stem riser. It’s been nice so far, took tension off my lower back, but I’m thinking it slowed me down a little bit. I can’t post a link, but just google “stem riser”
Old 05-01-20, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
What most do is get a Steering tube extension : Which you clamp on : I notice on teh Ebike Forum lots of guys have them. In fact some manufactures built the

bikes that way. : A stem riser adjust the angle a Steering tube Riser Elevates the Handlebar Ht. I have both The Dual Sport 3 and the 2020 Verve 3 . Verve is more upright. Heres what you are looking for: You;ll have to do some research : The guy on the trek website says this one will work. Personally I don't think a Quill will work in a Dual Sport head tube style But you get the idea

or like this
Old 05-01-20, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick53
What most do is get a Steering tube extension : Which you clamp on : I notice on teh Ebike Forum lots of guys have them. In fact some manufactures built the

bikes that way. : A stem riser adjust the angle a Steering tube Riser Elevates the Handlebar Ht. I have both The Dual Sport 3 and the 2020 Verve 3 . Verve is more upright. Heres what you are looking for: You;ll have to do some research : The guy on the trek website says this one will work. Personally I don't think a Quill will work in a Dual Sport head tube style But you get the idea

This is the one you use to jack up a threadless setup. The other pictures posted are of an adjustable quill stem and a quill to threadless adaptor. For a minor rise, one can swap spacers around or swap the stem for one with a higher rise. If the rise required is higher, the adaptor posted above is what is used.
Old 05-02-20, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Durde_cecof
Interesting! Makes total sense though that if you didn’t like it now, you won’t like it later. When you get the B17 then, post a pic. I’ve got the same color DS3 and would like to do SOMETHING new to it this season. I like that you found some cages that match the paint well too. It’s all in the details...
I received the B17 this week and got to do a quick ride on it today, I really like it! I'm so surprised that people say the C17 has a more broken feel to it out of the box, it felt so firm, but the B17 was just much more comfortable. Granted, its not broken in at all yet and it'll only get better, I really wish I switched to a Brooks saddle sooner.

I didn't get any pics of it on yet, I'm going to try and go out tomorrow so I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-03-20, 05:24 PM
Back-to-the-Bike

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back in the Saddle

So as it turns out I had a few extra airline miles to use, roughly 500,000 on United and Southwest. I also have a few extra pounds to lose, roughly 25. LOL. I figured I’m not flying anywhere anytime soon so I cashed in some miles to buy a Trek DS1

I was literally right between frame sizes M vs L. I’m 5’9 & 32” inseam. According to their site for a M I’m at the upper size height, but the L I’d be A the lower end. Figured I go smaller and got the M size.

Got it last week. Put it together today & went for a ride.

First impressions: Cheap, fun transportation. It’s comfortable set up. I have the seat post up pretty high, & the seat back pretty far. Fit is not bad, not cramped. It not perfect. I’m thinking slightly longer stem with a touch more rise & a wider bar. After that I’ll see if longer cranks are in order. The M & L have the same BB height & drop so 170 stock, 175 cranks should work fine.

anyone converted a DS1 to a 2x drive train? 22 speeds is silly here in Florida. The biggest hill I might see is an A cup on the trails. Haha!!

I really like it. I’ll post a pick once I hit 10 posts...
Old 05-03-20, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received the B17 this week and got to do a quick ride on it today, I really like it! I'm so surprised that people say the C17 has a more broken feel to it out of the box, it felt so firm, but the B17 was just much more comfortable. Granted, its not broken in at all yet and it'll only get better, I really wish I switched to a Brooks saddle sooner.

I didn't get any pics of it on yet, I'm going to try and go out tomorrow so I'll see what I can do.
Can’t wait. I ordered a C17 and cancelled it after your post. It makes a lot of sense that it would be too “grippy”. I wouldn’t like that at all. I suspect my wife got me a B17 for a birthday present. Fingers crossed
Old 05-17-20, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Trek dual sport 3 2018

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
Maintenance

This question is surely in another thread of the forum, but I would like to ask it here to know your opinion. How often do you add oil to the chain?
My use is urban, I go to work with the bike daily. Every 200-300 km?
Old 05-18-20, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

So here is my dual sport 2. Or 6 as i like to call it from the upgrades
Likes For ozzyski:
Old 05-18-20, 06:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, clean look! Love it!
Old 05-19-20, 03:27 AM

Bikes: Trek dual sport 3 2018

Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
Today I was playing a route around the city

Likes For Cajarines:
Old 05-19-20, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Have a 2019 DS3 and really love it. Looking to get a DS2 for my son, but all out here in my LBS. Anyone know when the 2021s will be coming or are they delayed?
Old 05-21-20, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a 2017 or 2018 Trek DS 4 on Craigslist a few weeks ago. On one of my rides, I broke the left (non drive) crank arm. The splines in the left crank arm are mangled and I cant push it back onto the splines of the crank axle. I posted on the bike mechanics subforum and some users thought that based on pictures I should replace the entire crankset as the chain rings look worn. My original plan was to replace just the left crank arm...but the users on that subform said due to condition of the chainrings that my money would be better spent on a complete replacement.

So what I would like to know from fellow owners of the same bike, what replacement crankset do you recommend? The problem I am having is that most 2x10 cranksets it that they seem to only have a 38T chainring. In my limited riding of my DS, I am on the 42T ring most of the time so I am concerned with going down in size.A

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-21-20, 06:07 PM

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Have a 2018 DS3 and it’s time to change brake pads. Anyone know the part numbers of a) the stock pads, b) alternatives, c) recommendations.

My wife’s 2018 Neko 2 is also coming close, so part numbers and suggestions for her bike are also appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.