Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Spoke washers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spoke washers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 05:42 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
One consideration - make sure the washer will fit into the hole in the rim. I ran into that issue once and had to get another smaller size.
Good point! For my Toro Clinchers there's a wide flat area between the bead seats. It's about 14 mm and there's no additional channel say, for helping the bead clear the upper radial edge of the brake track, so I just need to use something with an OD bigger than the nipple head. For my Toro Tubulars there is a hole drilled into the tubular base tape bed, about 12 mm diameter. And the shape of the spoke side of the rim is also very flat. So the same washer with an ability to fit the shallow curvature of the rim, should distribute the pressure much better than the annular line contact you get with only stressing the rim drilling's edge, that the sketch shared by @iab showed.
Old 06-29-20, 05:52 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by oneclick
Brass anneals really easily - hit it with the torch, let it cool anyway you want. They're going inside, who cares if they are not shiny.
Clarify "torch" - I'm not a welder or a frame builder. I'm pretty decent at soldering for cabling and electronics (certified by NASA decades ago), and I own an ancient Craftsman propane torch with those gas bottles. That was for installing motorcycle wheel bearings. No oxy, acetylene, et cetera.

I'm with you on the aesthetics! Gonna have to think about the mungy finish on the spokes! The hubs are pretty clean and the rims can use a cleaning - shinyness!
Old 06-29-20, 08:15 AM

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Brass anneals really easily - hit it with the torch, let it cool anyway you want. They're going inside, who cares if they are not shiny.
"shiny" generally means smooth, which is prefereable when truing a wheel. A dull washer will have more friction. That said, brass is not a good material anyway for nipple washers because it is too soft. The nipples, when tensioned will bite down on the brass causing friction.

Nipple washers should be of a material that will not corrode or deform. Corrosion and/or deformation will increase friction when truing.

EDIT: thinking about what I just wrote, maybe friction between nipple and washer will help to keep the nipples from rotating while riding thus keeping the wheel true...

Last edited by branko_76; 06-29-20 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-29-20, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by branko_76
"shiny" generally means smooth, which is prefereable when truing a wheel. A dull washer will have more friction. That said, brass is not a good material anyway for nipple washers because it is too soft. The nipples, when tensioned will bite down on the brass causing friction.

Nipple washers should be of a material that will not corrode or deform. Corrosion and/or deformation will increase friction when truing.

EDIT: thinking about what I just wrote, maybe friction between nipple and washer will help to keep the nipples from rotating while riding thus keeping the wheel true...
Also, I am building with very old rims, perhaps 1970. There are no signs of spoke drilling stress, but I it also has no nipple washers, eyelets of ferrules. It needs a washer, and the purpose of the washer is to spread the stress over a larger surface of the rim, around the hole. Some compliance in the washer is not a bad thing, at least to my thinking.
Old 07-03-21, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 786 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76

I think there are some errors here.

a) surface reflectivity *is* a function of rms smoothness, but the difference between a brass washer that as it comes in the package and after it has been annealed is either zero or so close that it does not matter. Remember you are talking an oxide layer that might only be the thickness of the wavelengths of visible light. Any effect on friction is likely to be
1. small; and
2. gone as soon as the oxide layer is wiped away; a single turn of the nipple should do.

b) brass is not a single alloy but a group of them, and so it can have widely varying properties. Its uts can vary by roughly a factor of 3, for example, at the high end surpassing that of some aluminium alloys. You may have only seen/noticed brass in the softer states, but regardless, for the reasons given below, softer is better.

c) if brass is not a good materiel for washers for the reasons suggested then it's not a good materiel for nipples or eyelets either. This obviously is not true.

d) nipples washers that do not deform may, as posted above by another, INCREASE the point stress on the rim. This is a bad thing. There are two ways a washer reduces spoke-hole cracking:
1. it moves the stress away from the hole - cracks begin at the hole; and
2. it reduces the point stress by spreading it over a wider area. A washer that deforms to fit the rim does this best. I anneal spoke washers before use for exactly this reason.

e) the way to keep nipples from loosening to to built the wheel properly. When the spokes are tensioned sufficiently they will not (absent injury) loosen, despite being built with oiled spoke threads, nipples, and rim seats. (There is a book that explains all this; worth getting a copy; but you'll have to be quick if it's via these forums, copies usually sell in a day, sometimes in minutes.)

A last note - for anyone who (as I do) uses washers. They are almost always stamped from sheet. As such they will have one edge rounded and one edge sharpish. Before building I put them sharp edge down on a sheet of emery paper and give them 15 seconds with my thumb to remove any raised edge on the sharp side.
Old 07-04-21, 02:31 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Clarify "torch" - I'm not a welder or a frame builder. I'm pretty decent at soldering for cabling and electronics (certified by NASA decades ago), and I own an ancient Craftsman propane torch with those gas bottles. That was for installing motorcycle wheel bearings. No oxy, acetylene, et cetera.

I'm with you on the aesthetics! Gonna have to think about the mungy finish on the spokes! The hubs are pretty clean and the rims can use a cleaning - shinyness!
Try rubbing the spokes with crumpled up aluminum foil. Does not always work great but it works better than most other options.
Old 08-29-21, 11:50 AM

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
I think there are some errors here.....................
"errors"

this is a discussion, not a science quiz