Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need a Sturmey Archer guru

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need a Sturmey Archer guru

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 07:06 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,067 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatTop
Thanks! I have seen the YouTube video, and it is amusing in a Wonderama stunt contest sort of way, but as you say it's not particularly helpful; there are no closeup views of the parts as they're assembled.
I disagree. For details, there are numerous photos and drawings on the 'net, in Glenn's and from Sturmey-Archer. The video is helpful - especially for first timers - in illustrating the dynamic action of dis/re-assembly, something all those still photos and diagrams and text do not do well.

If anyone really wants to call themselves a S-A guru, they're welcome to post up a video series on Sturmey overhaul/rebuild that is complete and self contained and illustrates all known information, answers every question and leaves no possible issue to other sources.

tcs
Old 05-25-10, 08:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Bumping this again, just to get it on page two... I'm very impatient, you see.
Originally Posted by rhm
Bumping this thread to ask the gurus:

What grease?

I understand there are three rings of ball bearings in a Sturmey Archer internally geared hub, and they are packed in grease, while the rest of the internals are lubricated only with oil. I understand the grease serves not only to lubricate the balls, but to seal the oil in. So I need a kind of grease that does not dissolve in oil. Do I have that right?

So my question is, what grease is that? Where did you get it, what was it called, and was it satisfactory?
Old 05-25-10, 09:12 AM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How loose do the cones need to be? I took my bike out for a ride last night, and it was kinda squirrely. Got home, and the rear wheel had what felt like quite a bit of play--so I redid the cones this morning. I tightened the right one down, and then only did a quarter-turn out--half turn just felt really loose. Did the same on the left--tighten to no play, back off a quarter turn. Put onto the bike, and no play in the rim--but the cranks don't turn forward when I spin the wheel.
Old 05-25-10, 09:29 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Bumping this thread to ask the gurus:

What grease?

I understand there are three rings of ball bearings in a Sturmey Archer internally geared hub, and they are packed in grease, while the rest of the internals are lubricated only with oil. I understand the grease serves not only to lubricate the balls, but to seal the oil in. So I need a kind of grease that does not dissolve in oil. Do I have that right?

So my question is, what grease is that? Where did you get it, what was it called, and was it satisfactory?
The grease I use I bought at Napa. It's the tan stuff; essentially, it's soap and oil. Any soap based auto grease will work. Smear grease on the ball rings, and also the dustcaps that the cones screw into.
Old 05-25-10, 09:30 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Originally Posted by tcs
I disagree. For details, there are numerous photos and drawings on the 'net, in Glenn's and from Sturmey-Archer. The video is helpful - especially for first timers - in illustrating the dynamic action of dis/re-assembly, something all those still photos and diagrams and text do not do well.

If anyone really wants to call themselves a S-A guru, they're welcome to post up a video series on Sturmey overhaul/rebuild that is complete and self contained and illustrates all known information, answers every question and leaves no possible issue to other sources.

tcs
I disagree as well. The first video shows how easy it is to take apart; as I mentioned, there are other videos Graham did showing planet gears and pawls. I recommend them highly (I also like the farting dog).
Old 05-25-10, 09:32 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Originally Posted by supton
How loose do the cones need to be? I took my bike out for a ride last night, and it was kinda squirrely. Got home, and the rear wheel had what felt like quite a bit of play--so I redid the cones this morning. I tightened the right one down, and then only did a quarter-turn out--half turn just felt really loose. Did the same on the left--tighten to no play, back off a quarter turn. Put onto the bike, and no play in the rim--but the cranks don't turn forward when I spin the wheel.
The right cone you should only back out far enough to get the lock washer on--1/4 to 1/2 a turn. I also just have a small amount on the left cone--1/2 turn is way too loose.
Old 05-25-10, 10:45 AM
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
The grease I use I bought at Napa. It's the tan stuff; essentially, it's soap and oil. Any soap based auto grease will work. Smear grease on the ball rings, and also the dustcaps that the cones screw into.
I've got this tub of marine grease, that I got for doing the bearings on my utility trailer. [It doesn't see water, but it does sit in a snowbank for 6 months of the year.] Good/no good? Would the right stuff say that it's soap based?
Old 05-25-10, 11:20 AM
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
The right cone you should only back out far enough to get the lock washer on--1/4 to 1/2 a turn. I also just have a small amount on the left cone--1/2 turn is way too loose.
Cool; thanks. Will give this a try, and see if it stops the wandering.
Old 05-25-10, 12:58 PM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got this tub of marine grease, that I got for doing the bearings on my utility trailer. [It doesn't see water, but it does sit in a snowbank for 6 months of the year.] Good/no good? Would the right stuff say that it's soap based?
Any good bearing grease should be fine. IMO people over worry about SA hub lubrication requirements. 20W to 30W oil, not 3 in 1, and a good bearing grease should do fine. All Glenn's manual says is a multipurpose grease and IIRC SA listed use of a lithium grease.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 05-25-10, 02:27 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Cool; thanks. Will give this a try, and see if it stops the wandering.
Let me phrase it a bit more carefully. You are trying to line up the flats on that lockwasher with the flats on the axle, so you'll end up backing it out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

Originally Posted by tatfiend
Any good bearing grease should be fine. IMO people over worry about SA hub lubrication requirements. 20W to 30W oil, not 3 in 1, and a good bearing grease should do fine. All Glenn's manual says is a multipurpose grease and IIRC SA listed use of a lithium grease.
Bikesmith recommends the tan automotive grease; petroleum based grease will dissolve in oil and the oil will leak out.

I use the marine grease (the blue/green stuff) everywhere else (headsets, front hubs, bottom brackets). I use the tan grease in Sturmey hubs and auto drum brake grease in coater hubs.
Old 05-26-10, 05:48 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Any grease will do. I'm currently using silicone grease in all my bike work. I got it at the auto parts store. The owner said there isn't much petroleum-based grease any more, as the silicone stuff seems to work as well or better in every application.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-10, 06:14 AM
Cries on hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wandering stopped. All is good again.

Ok, I thought, going on the instructions, that the right side was supposed to be turned out a half turn, like it was critical for the gears to work. I saw the "don't go past 1/2", but it seemed prescribed to do 1/2, as if less was bad. That, and the instruction to have some rim play. All set now. Seems to run just fine--all problems at the moment are motor related.
Old 05-26-10, 06:40 AM
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
...As far as Graham's videos, he's got several related one that are very helpful.
This is the nugget of information that I overlooked. I'd never have judged Graham's video so harshly if I'd known he had other, detailed videos posted. Such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFq5f...eature=related
(which is pure gold as far as I'm concerned).

Originally Posted by gna
So does this mean I can claim title as a SA guru?
Most definitely.
Old 05-26-10, 01:30 PM
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 332 Posts
I use a small amount of Lithium grease on the bearings in the SA hub and am satisfied with that. I keep the hub oiled with 30 weight motor oil all year. It comes in tubs from the hardware store's automotive section and is a very slippery, green-grey color. I've used plain brown axle grease in the past, and won't be doing it again.

It probably is possible to use Silicone grease-- it should resist the oil. It also has the added benefit of not rotting rubber and plastic parts. Pure silicone grease is used by divers on rubber parts to prevent degradation. I have some here, but haven't used it on any of my SA hubs.

The quick guide is to avoid 3 in 1 because of the vegetable component that allows gumming. However there is a non-vegetable version called 3 in 1 "motor oil" that is actually very close to a basic 20 weight light machine oil. I've also seen people use sewing machine oil, and general purpose 20 weight oil.

As for oil seepage-- it happens. The grease never seems to perform a perfect seal and you always get a little bit here and there. After I oil and ride, I stick a rag around each end of the hub to catch any excess that seeps out.

I prefer flushing to take downs any day, except for the worst off hubs. Usually you can saturate the old crap enough to loose it and turn it back to a liquid that can be run out of the hub. It's a mess, but it beats a take down. I've also done partial take downs, which worked alright.
Old 05-26-10, 03:14 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatTop
This is the nugget of information that I overlooked. I'd never have judged Graham's video so harshly if I'd known he had other, detailed videos posted. Such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFq5f...eature=related
(which is pure gold as far as I'm concerned).
That is a good video! That's the trickiest part of re-assembling the hub, and he does it very well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-10, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sturmey Archer Guru needed for older hub

Hi, if this isn't the right place to post this, please accept my apology.

I'm a new owner of a 1933 KB hub (and its attached roadster with front and rear drum brakes). All three gears work, but never at one cable tension setting on the top-tube mounted shifter. So I'm not sure there's anything particularly wrong with the hub, although surely it could do with a rebuild, but I'm not sure how to make the proper adjustments. The indicator is on the left side of the wheel, unlike the later versions, and it has a slot in it as though it's meant to be adjusted with a screwdriver. It moves in proportion to the bable when I shift gears, so it seems things internally are working more or less correctly.

Any thoughts, links to resources, suggestions of gurus who might take an interest would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Hamish
Old 05-26-10, 08:05 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Originally Posted by hamish
Hi, if this isn't the right place to post this, please accept my apology.

I'm a new owner of a 1933 KB hub (and its attached roadster with front and rear drum brakes). All three gears work, but never at one cable tension setting on the top-tube mounted shifter. So I'm not sure there's anything particularly wrong with the hub, although surely it could do with a rebuild, but I'm not sure how to make the proper adjustments. The indicator is on the left side of the wheel, unlike the later versions, and it has a slot in it as though it's meant to be adjusted with a screwdriver. It moves in proportion to the bable when I shift gears, so it seems things internally are working more or less correctly.

Any thoughts, links to resources, suggestions of gurus who might take an interest would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Hamish
Wow, a KB--hub has a drum brake. I can find some info on K hubs here: https://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ha...samaintind.htm

I'd recommend the Gentleman Cyclist group--there are a few old bikes kicking around there.
Old 05-27-10, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks. I tried the first one already, but could only find the (cool) brochure which had all their old hubs on it. No info on adjusting hubs with the indicator that goes all the way through to the left side.

I'll try the Gentlemen site and see how I get on, thanks!

Hamish

Originally Posted by gna
Wow, a KB--hub has a drum brake. I can find some info on K hubs here: https://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ha...samaintind.htm

I'd recommend the Gentleman Cyclist group--there are a few old bikes kicking around there.