Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lugs as strong as welds?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Lugs as strong as welds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 01:44 PM

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooby Snax
the tig process weakens the material around the joint.
That's why tubes are butted and aluminium heat treated.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Then came computers and robot welders.
I spent 25 yrs in the fabrication plant at RMB and never were any of the offshore produced frames we brought in welded by "robots". Unless they were the human kind.

Last edited by tungsten; 07-20-21 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-20-21, 01:55 PM

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
There are millions of lugged bikes that were machine brazed. The machine provided heat and filler came before the current popularity of welded joints. Additionally some high volume production frames used tack welds between the lugs and the tubes to hold the structure while the machine brazings were done, much like pins can hold a main triangle before brazing.
I know some British builders used to "pin" the tubes in place in the lugs and then fire them in a kiln.
What is this "machine brazing" you speak of?
Old 07-20-21, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
I know some British builders used to "pin" the tubes in place in the lugs and then fire them in a kiln.
What is this "machine brazing" you speak of?
It's not complicated to get brass filler rings that fit within the joint during prep. Alignment can be handled by a few methods including pins or jigging. Torch application stations with timed cycles to melt/flow out the insert. If the process is done well there's very little clean up and less skilled people load tubes and filler inserts instead of handling the torches. IIRC Peugeot's lugless early 1980s frames were done this way as many others too. Andy
Old 07-21-21, 12:54 AM
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I would think nobody will ever know which is stronger.

My guess is to prove it a test would have to be done with maybe 10 welded frames and 10 lugged frames- all other variables held constant. And the frames would be put in a machine that simulates a very strong rider grinding it out. And run the machine until the frames break.

I bet that’s never going to happen. And I bet both ways are strong enough.

I think lugs are cool looking.
Old 07-21-21, 06:53 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
This entire discussion is interesting but moot. The overwhelming majority of new bikes are carbon fiber, welded aluminum, welded steel or, more rarely, welded Ti. The lugged steel frame has been relegated to the speciality boutique custom frame builder and made in very limited numbers at prohibitively high cost for most buyers.
Old 07-21-21, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
So it isn't moot for someone who's looking at getting a nice specialty frame, then.

Personally, I wouldn't mind any one of these:

Old 07-21-21, 05:26 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon
So it isn't moot for someone who's looking at getting a nice specialty frame, then.

Personally, I wouldn't mind any one of these:
That is exactly my point. Those lugged frames you show are all expensive, boutique, hand made, one-of-a-kind frames and that's the only way to get a new lugged frame these days.
Old 07-21-21, 07:49 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
I know some British builders used to "pin" the tubes in place in the lugs and then fire them in a kiln. What is this "machine brazing" you speak of?
At Trek in the mid 80s, we used torch-free electromagnetic induction to heat the joints, and automated wire feeds to feed brass into the hot joints in combination with pre-placed brass "bombs" inside the tubes.

A lot of money was invested in this project, which became superfluous within a couple years as non-ferrous aluminum and carbon fiber frames came to dominate the market.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-21-21, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by shahidbashir92
In the case of bike frame lugs, the brazing is under sheer forces only - as the tubes are inserted into the lug. The joint will be as strong as the metal of which the lug is made. If you used the same brazing material in place of a weld, it would fail - because its now subject to variety of forces (pulling apart and sheer).
<pedant mode>
*shear*
</pedant mode>
Old 07-22-21, 01:40 PM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by shahidbashir92
...because its now subject to variety of forces (pulling apart and sheer).
Welcome to the forum and please forgive us for being pedantic, it is sometimes difficult for myself and others to not to care too much about minor details in very narrow cycling subject matter, Your points on shear are spot on. That said, frame tubing loading is mostly in compression, bending or torsion with a couple notable exceptions.
Old 07-22-21, 03:04 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
But you must admit that todays welded frames look like the cheap welded frames of the pre 80s when good bikes had lugs.
Likes For rydabent: