Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

am i a fixie poseur?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

am i a fixie poseur?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 07:57 PM
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, everyone stand in a line. I just bought this sweet label-printer, and I'm going to issue one to each of you. Wear your label plainly on your forehead so I know how to treat you when I see you, k? It will make things much easier.

peace,
sam

P.S. Beer = Good. Good Beer > PBR. Hence, good beer is better than PBR, but PBR is still good.
Old 04-08-05, 08:00 PM
Senior Citizen Discount

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told all poseurs have white hair and blue skin.
Old 04-08-05, 08:01 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSSasky
Fixie poser eh?

Matte black fixie, stipped and painted by moi? check
Chrome Camo bag? check
Chuck Taylors? check
iPod (that i never use while biking)? check
Rolled up pants? check
Mesh hat? check
Indie rock? check (the constantines and the weakerthans are gods. gods i say!)
Ironic emo moustache? check
Pretentious political philosophy grad student? check (hooray for Nietzsche)
LiveWrong bracelet? check

Messenger? nope
Biking elitist? never - if you're riding, i like you, if you're not, i'll probably still like you
PBR? no dice. i only drink good beer.

I guess I'm a poser. Somebody have a spare face-punch laying around?

Just to make you like me, here's a stupid photo...
you forgot the torn dickies, minimum wage job, and snobby attitude
Old 04-08-05, 08:10 PM
Mo' Senior

Bikes: 1984 Norco Monterey SL (Ishwata 3X butted), matte black, 42-15 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
you forgot the torn dickies, minimum wage job, and snobby attitude
Well, my rolled up pants are dickies (usually); I'm a TA (teaching assistant) which, while not technically minimum wage actually amounts to less, in large part due to the 37 papers staring in my face right now demanding grading; my previous job was a shade above minimum wage, but i worked there for 5 and a half years, so i deserved some sort of raise; i'm still not a snob ... i guess you got me on that one. Dammit!

And it's true that all beer is good, because of its inherent beer-ness. But I still prefer beer that tastes good. PBR would do over nothing, or Bud. Otherwise, pass me another Creemore...
Old 04-08-05, 08:45 PM

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedfiend
I was told all poseurs have white hair and blue skin.

If I ever look like, eat like, and drink like everybody else... please shoot me.
The world has enough culture clones.
Old 04-08-05, 08:50 PM
Me vs. The Rain

Bikes: Lugged steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting questions Gonesh, but it seems that the first law of fixie club is you don't talk about fixie club.

As someone who lived in Portland for a good amount of time and rode a fix almost exclusively while there, I can see where you get your generalizations. It tends that to be that people in Portland who ride bikes do so for many reasons; many are healthy, socially and environmentally conscious people.

Vegetarianism tends to be popular among a certain sect of health-conscious persons, but is also facilitated by the farmer's markets and vegan/veggie friendly stores and restaurants. Plus there is a lot of vegetarian foods that taste great.

Many people who ride bikes in Portland do so for transportation as well as fun and enjoyment. This leads us to wear street clothes while riding, thus we can participate in normal daily functions without looking silly and also have pockets for functionality. Commuting is huge there and a great way to connect with your bike; last year I drove my car 3 times. It rains and/or is cold frequently so pants are nice; rolling them up is a free and easy way to keep them from getting eaten by your drivetrain. Another interesting note: I have seen more bikes with full-coverage fenders in Portland than anywhere else. People here actually ride and are serious about it.

Why do you listen to Indie and Klezmer music? Could be that the music scene is excellent in Portland, but it is also possible that your tastes change and expand as you grow.

Beer. This is an interesting situation. I love microbrews with a passion, but it seems that on the occasions that I have gone on booze-cruises with a fixed group we end up drinking a lot of PBR. Tallboys come in at $1.25 and many places have $.75 pints, which of course facilitates your ability to afford more of it. you get 4 tallboys because there is a $5 minimum on debit cards, but then you cash out because you think you should stop. Then you decide you need one more, but have to buy 4 again because it is a $5 minimum. Repeat. On the other hand, I have been at the Lucky Lab with a group of riders and exhausted quite a few pitchers of excellent brew. I'll be back in town from the 21st to the 25th if you want to grab a brew - chances are I have ridden with you before, or played bike polo, or .....

I have found that if anything, we from Portland take microbrews for granted. I recently moved to SoCal; which is a terrible location for just about anything. The only reason I came was to take a great job in the cycling industry. Turns out, there are no bars where I am and NO microbrews. I am actually scared to ride in traffic because the SUV-driving suburban populous is absolutely insane. I'll take rush hour down Burnside with a stop at Stumptown anyday.

Why is it that you share these similarities with other fixed riders? People with one common interest tend to share others, and other large cities breed similar biking culture. I.e. Seattle, Chicago, Philly, D.C., Boston, San Francisco, etc. The fixed gear is the tie that binds us together.

Regardless, you are riding a fixed bike so you are part of the ever-evolving fixed culture. You should take pride in that.

-Pete
Old 04-08-05, 09:06 PM
MADE IN TAIWAN

Bikes: Tarmac, Humble, Makino, Schwinn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna be a poseur and buy these... https://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1492427/c/19887.html they look cool and I have to have them.
Old 04-08-05, 09:07 PM
hateful little monkey

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look pretty battlestar galactica. You should have a vocoder installed in your throat to really wear those properly.
Old 04-08-05, 09:26 PM
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking of beer, and I write this from memory, in the original The Book Of Lists
By David Wallechinsky & Amy Wallace, they conducted a beer tasting survey in order to determine the best beer in the world.

Now, before I go any further, I say again I write this from memory, and I may have wrongly attributed the following survey.
Nonetheless, someone credible did it if not David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace.

So, they conducted this beer survey in Washington D.C. because they thought it would give them access to the most internationally diverse of beer drinkers.
They divided the beers into two groups: dark and lager.
They thought the two different enough that it would invalidate the survey to compare them head to head.

They set up a tent on, I think, the Mall in front of the White House, between the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial.
They served free beer for several days.
In order to get a free beer, a person had to actually take two beers and compare them.
David and Amy only wanted to know which of the two uindentified beers the drinker preferred.
Heineken won the best dark beer award and, surprise of surprises, the cheapest beer sold in America won the lager award - Old Milwaukee.

Incidentally, Old Milwaukee won again, last year; this time for Best American-Style Lager, at the Great American Beer Festival, held every October in Denver, CO.

I don't drink any longer.
I have a problem with alcohol, and so I haven't had a drink in 22 years.
But when I did drink, I kept Old Milwaukee in business.

I have a lot curiosity about the microbrews.
Maybe after I retire, if I ever do, I'll give them a try.
Old 04-08-05, 10:22 PM
Fritz M

Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares if you're a "poseur" or not. It's all good, IMO.

My bike: Centurion Accordo purchased new in 1987 converted to fixed gear 42x16, mostly because of the steep hills in my town. I really don't care what anybody thinks about the fact that I have both front and rear brakes. I know of three other fixed-gear Centurions in my small city of 78,000.

RFM
Old 04-08-05, 11:03 PM
Total Hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even messengers *****.
Old 04-09-05, 12:30 AM
><

Bikes: a disassembled bianchi lynx i'm gonna convert to ss, a felt roadie with carbon fork, and my baby blue peugeot roadie conversion. a couple sizes too large.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm happy on a bike. i'm happier on my fixed gear, but i enjoy any riding, and base a lot of other decisions on the fact i like to ride. i'm a fixie commuter who happens to have "posenger gear" cause it is damn useful.

i'll admit, i check out other people's bikes. i appreciate all (most) of them. when i see a roadbike i check out their chain tension as it's being pedaled, what gear they're running, all that geeky stuff. when i see a fixie or mountainbike, i check them out by whatever criteria i've got for them...

i love life riding, and if you are too, namaste. forget that other *****.
Old 04-09-05, 12:35 AM
...Please

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rarely drink anymore, but can hardly resist a Chocolate Stout.
Getting psyched to commute - Fixed - here in SoCal among the essyouvees before petrol hits $4/gal.
Been quietly workin' out on a Gan Well Pro, looking to build up a commuter for the 12 mile work commute.
It just aint been the same since West Ham got relegated.

Say, isn't it spelled, "Ganesh"? And did we meet in Japan, early '90's? Maybe not, as you didn't mention Garcia... if you don't fess up, you Are a Poseur.
Old 04-09-05, 01:57 AM
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow! excellent vibe here y'alls.

SSenorPedro- nice outlook. thanks

Originally Posted by free_jazz
Say, isn't it spelled, "Ganesh"? And did we meet in Japan, early '90's? Maybe not, as you didn't mention Garcia... if you don't fess up, you Are a Poseur.
yeah, the elephant headed god is named ganesh- but cheesily, out of respect i spell it differently for my name here. and no, i don't remember being in japan, but i guess it's a possibility...i did once have a remarkable experience associated with garcia.
Old 04-09-05, 02:43 AM
Fixationwheels.com

Bikes: fg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the fixie scene in london is pretty tight knit from what ive heard, but up here in the north, its nice. i has intimidated by couriers before i worked with them, now i know that just about anyone could go chat to them. they are really some of the most friendlyist people i know.
on the poseur issue, hardly anyone rides fixed exept couriers here. there are a few others, and of course, some people are dicks. but these people would be dicks whatever the rode, or did.
Old 04-09-05, 02:43 AM

Bikes: fixed '73 Sekine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm of sound mind to say who the **** cares. Drink what you want. If you go drinking with me I'll laugh at you when your order a PBR, and offer to fill your beer for free in about 15 min. But it don't mean I don't disrespect you.

Dress how you want, shoot I wear clothes that don't match, I don't care what people think. I find myself fittingin with rednecks, jocks, nerds (geeks), etc...the whole damn spectrum.

Ride what you want, a bikes a bike. If your riding a bike I'll still smile and wave (I'm a tri guy not a roadie guy, tri people are much nicer).

In the end its not about what group you assosiate with, its about how you played the game. If your happy then whats to worry about, be a poseur, be a sitter, be a stander I don't care.

Ride your bike and smile
Old 04-09-05, 05:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
messenger=poseposenger

seriously though, who gives a flying f*ck in this day and age? I mean when even the term "hipster" implies inherent unhipness (since everyone recognizes you as a stereotype [which isnt cool right?]). maybe poser is the new hip, until tomorrow, or was it yesterday?

Last edited by misterherman; 04-09-05 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-09-05, 06:12 AM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gonesh9
o.k., you asked for it....

i don't remember what kind of beer that was in the picture. but i did have longer hair then. now i have much shorter, more fixie appropriate hair.

I like this pic. Jesus in the time i wrote my post 6 people posted. OK, if it's 7 am and ur posting you are a poser!

Oh crap.

Oh, speaking of hipster-- i saw donovon in concert the other day touring with john melancamp. I love his stuff-- damn near misted up when he sang hurdy gurdy man and atlantis.
Old 04-09-05, 06:16 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurremkarm
Jesus in the time i wrote my post 6 people posted. OK, if it's 7 am and ur posting you are a poser!
7am posting is f-ing HARDCORE!
Old 04-09-05, 06:42 AM
THC Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misterherman
7am posting is f-ing HARDCORE!
if 7am is hardcore....5am posting while smoking a joint...must be off the charts...
Old 04-09-05, 07:04 AM
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karmical
if 7am is hardcore....5am posting while smoking a joint...must be off the charts...

laughing so hard i spilled my yoohoo.
"Not your ordinary hipster...."
Old 04-09-05, 07:28 AM
ambassador of good will

Bikes: many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karmical
werd. the breakfast of champions.
Old 04-09-05, 07:32 AM
F*** Corporate Beer

Bikes: On-OneIROOlympiaYetiLeMondZanella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gonesh9
but i did have longer hair then. now i have much shorter, more fixie appropriate hair.
That's good...nothing can ruin your day more then getting your hair stuck in your chainring (except maybe getting your twig & berries caught in there)!
Old 04-09-05, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just realised that my favorite pair of cut-offs do in fact have pleats. I can't find the thread in which this disturbing development would be considered pertinent, so I'll leave it here. There was a scooter rally here in town last night, my inner-light has been somewhat dimmed. Actually it's probably just a little bit of red shift.
Old 04-09-05, 08:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...nothing to do with the scooters by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.