Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Centurion Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anybody help me with frame model( I cant post photos yet).

Its super elite model, blue decals, grey colour, suntour drops, and serial number 1k51272.

Last edited by Dstamenkovic90; 03-17-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by Dstamenkovic90
Can anybody help me with frame model( I cant post photos yet).

Its super elite model, blue decals, grey colour, suntour drops, and serial number 1k51272.
You say that you are trying to determine the frame model, then you say it's a Super Elite, so I not exactly sure what you want. In addition to the detail photos, you post uplaond an overall photo. Your photos are available here; https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/17146140
Old 03-19-20, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
You say that you are trying to determine the frame model, then you say it's a Super Elite, so I not exactly sure what you want...
I didn't know about album. 😌
first, thank for replay.
I know it is super elite but I don't know anything else and can't find online. I am trying to restore it so need to know year, groupe, maybe find catalogues, and decals of course.

I have Big job here because someone broke seatpost and left inside seat tube and broke tube little too(last photo in album). Must weld it before painting.

Last edited by Dstamenkovic90; 03-20-20 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-20-20, 07:08 AM

...I'll see if I have a record of the component mix when I get back home.
Before researching, I wet back and had a look at the photos, only to realize that the brand decal was on the seat tube, instead of the down tube. This is typical of European models. I don't have any records for European Super Elite of this this era and comparison to American models would be moot.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-22-20 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 2,651 Times in 1,247 Posts
Picture assist...

Old 03-20-20, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 1,773 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Dstamenkovic90
I didn't know about album. 😌
first, thank for replay.
I know it is super elite but I don't know anything else and can't find online. I am trying to restore it so need to know year, groupe, maybe find catalogues, and decals of course.

I have Big job here because someone broke seatpost and left inside seat tube and broke tube little too(last photo in album). Must weld it before painting.
Your seat tube looks to compromised, are you sure it's the right one for you?
Old 03-20-20, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Your seat tube looks to compromised, are you sure it's the right one for you?
Its small for me, so it will be , first, Saved and restored,
and second, I will think about it after, maybe it will be for girlfriend.
Old 03-20-20, 02:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the serial number, in conjunction with the head badge style, it was manufactured in 1981, though it could be a 1982 model. I'll see if I have a record of the component mix when I get back home.
thanks a lot.
Old 06-02-20, 11:04 PM

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Trying to identify a centurion model

I'm trying to identify a vintage centurion bicycle model, it has a suntour cyclone rear derailleur, dia-compe side pull brakes, suntour power shifters, the seller says the serial number is MF00173

The handlebars are unusual I've never seen any quite like them before

thank you for any information you might be able to share
Old 06-03-20, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gashepherd
I'm trying to identify a vintage centurion bicycle model, it has a suntour cyclone rear derailleur, dia-compe side pull brakes, suntour power shifters, the seller says the serial number is MF00173

The handlebars are unusual I've never seen any quite like them before

thank you for any information you might be able to share
One other unidentified Centurion with a serial number having an MF-prefix has been reported. Unfortunately there were no pictures submitted. However, the reported component date codes, with the exception of the atypical Weinmann brakeset. indicated 1976 manufacture. The Cyclone rear derailleurs would suggest a Professional or Semi-Pro but the swaged crankset, which is far more likely to be OEM, is indicative of a Super LeMans. We can increase our confidence level from the diameter of the seat post, which is a good indicator of the tubing grade. I'd also appreciate some component date codes, if possible.
Old 06-03-20, 09:38 AM

Mystery Centurion

After posting, I looked at some Super Lemans and Super Elite bikes online this bike looks like it could go either way, can you tell me what the difference is between the super Lemans and the super Elite? (I actually found a super Elite that showed the same handlebars) I don't currently have access to the bike as I'm still trying to decide if I can pull it off, and it's 2 hours away seller is going to send photo of champion tubing sticker

Last edited by Gashepherd; 06-03-20 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-04-20, 02:35 AM
Aleks_M

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help to identify Centurion Bike model

Hey everyone,

this is the first time I write here. Must say I’m really impressed by all the knowledge you’ve accumulated on Centurion vintage bikes. It’s been very helpful in my own work of trying to identify my bike.

My bicycle has been repainted. It was bought second hand in Sweden, and so for a long time I didn’t even know what brand it was, until the frame paint started coming off revealing the centurion logo on the seat tube.

Thanks to this forum and you guys, I’ve been able to identify that the bicycle has a danish frame number...

WAK 1744 5 C

...according to which the frame was produced/imported to Denmark in 1987.

As far as I can tell it still has the original Dia Compte brakes, Sakae SA crank and Sun Tour gears.

The threads on the back of the frame for what I think was a rear carrier indicates it is likely one of the more budget/less sporty models, maybe accordo or RS?

I’m no expert, but I believe it’s a steel
frame that weighs approximately 10-12 kg.

Here’s the thing though. When I look through the catalogues and pictures of 1987 centurion bikes, i can’t seem to find a model that has, like mine does, the centurion brand name written
on the seat tube of the frame. The only model I’ve come across that has that particular trait is the carbon frame model, which I’m pretty sure it’s not because I guess I would be able to
see the fibers.

Unfortunately I’m not allowed to post
pictures for you to see since I’ve not yet written 10 posts?

I would be very thankful if you have any idea about which centurion model this might be.

I absolutely love the bike, still runs like a Swiss clock and a joy to ride.
Old 06-04-20, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Aleks_m
Hey everyone,

this is the first time I write here. Must say I’m really impressed by all the knowledge you’ve accumulated on Centurion vintage bikes. It’s been very helpful in my own work of trying to identify my bike.

My bicycle has been repainted. It was bought second hand in Sweden, and so for a long time I didn’t even know what brand it was, until the frame paint started coming off revealing the centurion logo on the seat tube.

Thanks to this forum and you guys, I’ve been able to identify that the bicycle has a danish frame number...

WAK 1744 5 C

...according to which the frame was produced/imported to Denmark in 1987.

As far as I can tell it still has the original Dia Compte brakes, Sakae SA crank and Sun Tour gears.

The threads on the back of the frame for what I think was a rear carrier indicates it is likely one of the more budget/less sporty models, maybe accordo or RS?

Here’s the thing though. When I look through the catalogues and pictures of 1987 centurion bikes, i can’t seem to find a model that has, like mine does, the centurion brand name written
on the seat tube of the frame. The only model I’ve come across that has that particular trait is the carbon frame model, which I’m pretty sure it’s not because I guess I would be able to
see the fibers.

Unfortunately I’m not allowed to post
pictures for you to see since I’ve not yet written 10 posts?

I would be very thankful if you have any idea about which centurion model this might be.

I absolutely love the bike, still runs like a Swiss clock and a joy to ride.
Welcome to the forums. The catalogues you see online at the Vintage Centurion website are for the the USA market Centurion brand, which was designed by Western States Imports. European model names and specs don't necessarily align with those from the USA, as they were designed by independent Eurpoean companies to appeal to local preferences. Most of Europe rec'd Centurions from a German company but the Scandanavian countries could have been independent even from the German company. Most forum members are American based and we don't receive many European submissions, which complicates identification. All I can state is that the down tube cable stops and lack of water bottle bosses, in conjunction with the era, suggests a model at or very near the bottom of the line, rougly equivalent to a Cavaletto or Signet.

In the future, please take the picture from the drive side. This allows members to see and identify the crankset and derailleurs, which is an aid in determining the level and era of the bicycle.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-04-20 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 06:13 AM

After posting, I looked at some Super Lemans and Super Elite bikes online this bike looks like it could go either way, can you tell me what the difference is between the super Lemans and the super Elite? (I actually found a super Elite that showed the same handlebars) I don't currently have access to the bike as I'm still trying to decide if I can pull it off, and it's 2 hours away seller is going to send photo of champion tubing sticker
If that's a picture of the actual tubing decal, then it should be one of the early Super Elite. The Super LeMans was two steps down and around this era migrated from a main triangle of butted hi-tensile steel to plain gauge CrMo. The early Elites typically used the same frame as the Super LeMans but the Super Elite was upgraded with double butted CrMo. If you acquire the bicycle, I'd appreciate component date codes to try and determine the exact year.
Old 06-04-20, 10:20 AM

Centurion

Once again I am blown away by your wealth of knowledge T-Mar, I have been scouring the internet looking for information about these bikes, and it's just not there, lucky we have you around. What in your opinion would be fair price for this bike, I'm really leaning towards purchasing it, if I do I will send you the date codes first thing, thank you for your input/information have a great day
Old 06-04-20, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,196 Posts
For future reference, the easiest way to test for steel is to put a magnet on it.
Old 06-04-20, 02:27 PM
Aleks_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The catalogues you see online at the Vintage Centurion website are for the the USA market Centurion brand, which was designed by Western States Imports. European model names and specs don't necessarily align with those from the USA, as they were designed by independent Eurpoean companies to appeal to local preferences. Most of Europe rec'd Centurions from a German company but the Scandanavian countries could have been independent even from the German company. Most forum members are American based and we don't receive many European submissions, which complicates identification. All I can state is that the down tube cable stops and lack of water bottle bosses, in conjunction with the era, suggests a model at or very near the bottom of the line, rougly equivalent to a Cavaletto or Signet.

In the future, please take the picture from the drive side. This allows members to see and identify the crankset and derailleurs, which is an aid in determining the level and era of the bicycle.
Thanks T-Mar. Had no idea European models would be different from US. Too bad European centurion catalogues seem nowhere to be find online.

How did you know there are no water bottle bosses, are you able to see the pictures I tried to post? Anyways, will try to share once I’ve reached 10 posts.

I’ve suspected that the lack of bottle bosses and the fact that the shifters are located on the steering wheel rather than the down tube would indicate a lower level model, at least seeing the specs in the US catalogues.

I don’t understand why it would be more premium to have the shifters on the down tube though, much more hassle to change gears IMO.
Old 06-04-20, 02:28 PM
Aleks_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
For future reference, the easiest way to test for steel is to put a magnet on it.
Thanks, will try and report back!
Old 06-04-20, 04:12 PM

Thanks T-Mar. Had no idea European models would be different from US. Too bad European centurion catalogues seem nowhere to be find online.

How did you know there are no water bottle bosses, are you able to see the pictures I tried to post? Anyways, will try to share once I’ve reached 10 posts.

I’ve suspected that the lack of bottle bosses and the fact that the shifters are located on the steering wheel rather than the down tube would indicate a lower level model, at least seeing the specs in the US catalogues.

I don’t understand why it would be more premium to have the shifters on the down tube though, much more hassle to change gears IMO.

The current high end shift levers are integrated with the brake levers. They have been the high end standard for almost three decades. Prior to that, shift levers on the down tube were considered preferable, as that was what was used on the high end racing models because they were easier to reach when you when you were in a racing position on the drops.

Even though they don't attach to the thread, pictures for members with less than 10 posts can be viewed in a gallery album: Yours are here :https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/519807
Old 06-04-20, 04:15 PM

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Välkommen!

I was surprised how many Centurion bikes I saw in Sweden, even modern ones. I recall the newer ones being from the Danish market, but all of my 5,5 years were in Skåne, with most in Helsingborg, so we had a strong Danish influence in the region.
Old 06-06-20, 02:08 PM
Aleks_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok thanks for the info T-Mar. I’ve done some more research on the Swedish part of the web and found some interesting information I thought I’d share with you.

Yes DiegoFrogs, it seems Centurion was widely sold in Sweden during the 80s. and 90s. In 1990 there was even a Swedish Centurion company: Svenska Centurion in Hisings Backa. In 1992 the catalogue was from a German company: Centurion Renner in Magstadt and in 1992 from a Danish importer: Aage Krøll A/S i Vallensbæk.

The two most popular models in Sweden were the Super Le Mans and the Le Mans. The Super Le Mans had the Tange infinity frame and wheels with Araya rims and Suzue hubs. The gears were Suntour Cyclone 7000 with Accushift and a Sakae FX SLP crankset. Brakes from Dia Compte.

The sister model Le Mans had a simpler Hi-Ten singel butted frame, the shifters on the stem and in Sweden they were equipped with a rear carrier and mud guards. The colours were most often black or mouse gray.

I feel pretty sure that the bike I have is the Le Mans adoptet for the Swedish market. It makes sence since it has the brand name on the down tube, lacks water bottle bosses and has identical down tube cable stops.

I would post you the link to a Swedish page with pictures of the Swedish adapted Super Le Mans and Le Mans plus the info I just gave you, but can't do links yet. I have however uploaded the pictures in my galler.

Question is, which would be the most equivalent US model to this particular Le Mans?
Old 06-06-20, 08:32 PM

If that's a picture of the actual tubing decal, then it should be one of the early Super Elite. The Super LeMans was two steps down and around this era migrated from a main triangle of butted hi-tensile steel to plain gauge CrMo. The early Elites typically used the same frame as the Super LeMans but the Super Elite was upgraded with double butted CrMo. If you acquire the bicycle, I'd appreciate component date codes to try and determine the exact year.
Well I went down and picked up the centurion today the front derailleur date code was SJ, the rear derailleur date code was SG, I didn't check out the brake calipers, the suntour pro-compe freewheel date code is SJ

Last edited by Gashepherd; 06-06-20 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-07-20, 05:07 AM

Well I went down and picked up the centurion today the front derailleur date code was SJ, the rear derailleur date code was SG, I didn't check out the brake calipers, the suntour pro-compe freewheel date code is SJ
Thank-you taking the time to do this. Those are are all late 1976 date codes, so it would appear to be a 1977 model manufactured in late 1976. That fits nicely with the other MF code that has been reported.
Old 06-07-20, 05:40 AM

Ok thanks for the info T-Mar. I’ve done some more research on the Swedish part of the web and found some interesting information I thought I’d share with you.

Yes DiegoFrogs, it seems Centurion was widely sold in Sweden during the 80s. and 90s. In 1990 there was even a Swedish Centurion company: Svenska Centurion in Hisings Backa. In 1992 the catalogue was from a German company: Centurion Renner in Magstadt and in 1992 from a Danish importer: Aage Krøll A/S i Vallensbæk.

The two most popular models in Sweden were the Super Le Mans and the Le Mans. The Super Le Mans had the Tange infinity frame and wheels with Araya rims and Suzue hubs. The gears were Suntour Cyclone 7000 with Accushift and a Sakae FX SLP crankset. Brakes from Dia Compte.

The sister model Le Mans had a simpler Hi-Ten singel butted frame, the shifters on the stem and in Sweden they were equipped with a rear carrier and mud guards. The colours were most often black or mouse gray.

I feel pretty sure that the bike I have is the Le Mans adoptet for the Swedish market. It makes sence since it has the brand name on the down tube, lacks water bottle bosses and has identical down tube cable stops.

I would post you the link to a Swedish page with pictures of the Swedish adapted Super Le Mans and Le Mans plus the info I just gave you, but can't do links yet. I have however uploaded the pictures in my galler.

Question is, which would be the most equivalent US model to this particular Le Mans?
I stated earlier that the Signet and Cavaletto would be the closest equivalent USA models. Based on the new information and pictures, I'd choose the Cavaletto as the closest USA equivalent for the Scandanavian market LeMans and the USA Accordo RS as the closest equivalent to the Scandanavian Super LeMans, Both are far from a perfect match and the comparison is based primarily on the tubing being the prime factor. The fact that there were no 1987 USA models spec'd with SunTour further underlines the independence between markets.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-07-20 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-07-20, 07:35 PM

One other unidentified Centurion with a serial number having an MF-prefix has been reported. Unfortunately there were no pictures submitted. However, the reported component date codes, with the exception of the atypical Weinmann brakeset. indicated 1976 manufacture. The Cyclone rear derailleurs would suggest a Professional or Semi-Pro but the swaged crankset, which is far more likely to be OEM, is indicative of a Super LeMans. We can increase our confidence level from the diameter of the seat post, which is a good indicator of the tubing grade. I'd also appreciate some component date codes, if possible.
Centurion with 1976 components - what model is it?
Was this the other MF serial number you were talking about or is this a third

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.