Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trying to identify a Holdsworth I recently picked up.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trying to identify a Holdsworth I recently picked up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-13, 02:54 PM

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I finished the bike this week and took it out for a crise today, went around 40 miles. The bike rides great, I think this one will get a lot of use. That Brooks was very comfortable.
Old 02-11-15, 01:25 PM

Bikes: '51 Holdsworth Sirocco, '65 Holdsworth Typhoon, '68 Claud Butler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice Bike! I wonder if this is perhaps a 1972 WF Holdsworth Putney Shop build? From 1965 until 1975 the shop used a separate numbering system. Holdsworthy factory basically used sequential numbers from the early century until late 70's. 7272 does not fit for a factory frame. The shop frames were usually numbered beginning with the 2 digit year followed by number of build. That would make this the 72nd shop frame built in 1972. (They built much smaller numbers than the factory.) In 1975 Roy Thame was told by Holdsworthy company to stop using the Holdsworth name on frames built in his shop.

Just a thought.

I have a '51 Holdsworth Sirocco with number ~13000 and a factory '65 Typhoon with number ~30000

Doug

Last edited by allend; 02-14-15 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by otg
OK, I took a closer look at the stamping on the bottom bracket today. It is stamped PDS, not POS, as I originally read it, then the number 7272 underneath that. I took the fork off and found the same number, 7272 stamped on the inside. So I'm guessing 7272 is the serial number and not an indication of 72º parallel frame geometry. Still not quite sure what I have, but it is my size and definitely a keeper.

I have the same letters on my frame, please email me, i can't seem to upload any photos until i posted 10 replies? And I can't see your photos either, I'm trying to restore my bike and I just need some more clues to figure out what brand it is and buy the specific decals for it, my email is lotus108siddharta@gmail.com..
Old 12-15-22, 07:14 AM

Same PDS

Originally Posted by otg
OK, I took a closer look at the stamping on the bottom bracket today. It is stamped PDS, not POS, as I originally read it, then the number 7272 underneath that. I took the fork off and found the same number, 7272 stamped on the inside. So I'm guessing 7272 is the serial number and not an indication of 72º parallel frame geometry. Still not quite sure what I have, but it is my size and definitely a keeper.

Hello there, my name is Levi, I'm from the philippines, I just bought a 2nd hand mixte which I am currently getting repainted, when the paint was stripped off, we saw a 4 digit serial number with PDS letters.. I am on a journey in finding out what the brand of the frame is through small clues, at first, I looked at mixte bikes with the same design which I found on Maruishi and Lotus challenger xs to be similar, on my research, Lotus was a brand that hired maruishi or should I say collaborated to be one of their producers..
although non of the serial numbers of Maruishi and Lotus' serial number pattern match a PDS (3 letter) and 4 digit numbers..
1 more clue is that the frame has BOCAMA Lugs which from other articles or forums were made in france and used for classic italian frames from the late 70's and early 80's..

the japanese (maruishi) design and origin of the lugs does not match at all..

I found this thread as my first clue.. reading about Holdsworth, I went on to check for holdsworth serial numbers and I found a forum where some Holdsworth owners are recording data of Holdsworth bikes that are still out there by submitting the serial number.. it is stated there that a 4 digit number refers to frames that were customized built in the 70's but non of the serial numbers have letters on them.. and I sent them a photo of my serial number to verify if the frame that I have could actually be a Holdsworth, some one aswered the day after and confirmed that it was not..

So far it has led me back here which is the only clue that has a similarity with the serial number...

Ps. I would send a photo, my email, or the link of the forum for the holdsworth serial number data base, but this site is not allowing me, and I can't see the photos that you posted as well.

-levi
Old 12-15-22, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 787 Posts
pic assist below...

of what appears to be at least a better-than-basic mixte, can you supply pictures from the other side, and of all of the stickers, and of the places on the frame where the tubes join?

Old 12-15-22, 12:42 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26461 Post(s)
Liked 10,420 Times in 7,235 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotussiddharta
Hello there, my name is Levi, I'm from the philippines, I just bought a 2nd hand mixte which I am currently getting repainted, when the paint was stripped off, we saw a 4 digit serial number with PDS letters.. I am on a journey in finding out what the brand of the frame is through small clues, at first, I looked at mixte bikes with the same design which I found on Maruishi and Lotus challenger xs to be similar, on my research, Lotus was a brand that hired maruishi or should I say collaborated to be one of their producers..
although non of the serial numbers of Maruishi and Lotus' serial number pattern match a PDS (3 letter) and 4 digit numbers..
1 more clue is that the frame has BOCAMA Lugs which from other articles or forums were made in france and used for classic italian frames from the late 70's and early 80's..

the japanese (maruishi) design and origin of the lugs does not match at all..

I found this thread as my first clue.. reading about Holdsworth, I went on to check for holdsworth serial numbers and I found a forum where some Holdsworth owners are recording data of Holdsworth bikes that are still out there by submitting the serial number.. it is stated there that a 4 digit number refers to frames that were customized built in the 70's but non of the serial numbers have letters on them.. and I sent them a photo of my serial number to verify if the frame that I have could actually be a Holdsworth, some one aswered the day after and confirmed that it was not..

So far it has led me back here which is the only clue that has a similarity with the serial number...
...there's an entire, very long and detailed thread about the various formats and numbering systems of Asian bicycle manufacturers. Look here at this link.
Old 12-17-22, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...there's an entire, very long and detailed thread about the various formats and numbering systems of Asian bicycle manufacturers.

Thank you, I already saw this thread -which according to my understanding does not have any similar pattern to my frame's serial number other than this thread, I also posted a photo of my serial number on a japanese group and someone assumes that it is french made base from the threading? Plus the Bocama lugs as I meantioned that were used by french in the 70's makes it more accurate..my serial number is PDS 1654
Old 12-17-22, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by oneclick
pic assist below...

of what appears to be at least a better-than-basic mixte, can you supply pictures from the other side, and of all of the stickers, and of the places on the frame where the tubes join?

Thank you, I'm still new here and the site is not yet allowing me to post photos until I have made 10 comments or so..
The only informations that I can provide at the moment is that my serial number is PDS 1654
, the Bocama lugs and the design on the seat tube of the frame which is similar to a mixte Lotus challenger sx...
Old 12-18-22, 11:20 AM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I am confused.

This is a zombie thread from 2013.
It was destroyed by the Photobucket debacle.
Now, it has an entire different, off-topic thread happening to it.

Why not just start a new thread?