Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What’s the deal with the really loud wheels when coasting?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What’s the deal with the really loud wheels when coasting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 08:17 PM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Taking this opportunity to once again lament how underrated Shimano hubs are. Not only are they nearly silent, but they have proper bearings, unlike almost anything else high end but Campy.

Oddly enough, when it comes to employing the cassette body as a stressed member to put the DS axle bearing where it belongs, the only other folks doing it are the likes of Joytech; there's nothing else above low end stuff that has the right sort of bearings in the right place, to my knowledge.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 04-26-21, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Angry Bees tshirt. Chris King.

"Back when hub warranty registration was done by mailing us a postcard, Akiyoshi Takamura coined an infamous quote in the comment field of his card; "It rolls good with angry bee sound". This was the birth of the angry bees and so much more."
You can sick those angry bees on people. That's the real reason people buy those hubs. Close second in a race? Bees can fly quick and they're very distracting.
Old 04-26-21, 11:23 PM
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
...there's nothing else above low end stuff that has the right sort of bearings in the right place, to my knowledge.
Care to elaborate? Because I'm feeling awful bad about all those DT Swiss hubs in my garage...
Old 04-27-21, 04:49 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by Badger6
Care to elaborate? Because I'm feeling awful bad about all those DT Swiss hubs in my garage...
Can you adjust the preload on your bearings? Being DT Swiss, I'd guess the sealing is okay, but I'd be surprised if they're angular contact, which would surely require preload adjustment, which I can't recall ever seeing on a cartridge bearing hub. Meaning your wheels will rattle sooner or later, maybe even out of the box.

And your drive side rear axle bearing is near the centre of the hub, rather than next to the dropout where it belongs, which is dumb and crap.

If folks were to stop defending this junk, we might get something better, but nooo
Old 04-27-21, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
I hope someone does a study on how much drag noisy hubs make. Then quiet hubs will be all the rage for "free" energy - except then the quiet ones will be the expensive ones.

Might be worth it to stop the madness.

I am certain that this study exists. Somewhere, someone has measured freehub drag and compared among various hubs.

Oddly enough, out of the 3 wheelsets I own, the quietest hub (an OEM Formula hub) has the most drag, based on my own unscientific bike-in-workstand test where I just spin up the rear wheel and let it go.
Old 04-27-21, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
There's always that option, but it will cost you a few watts because of the increased drag.

Best looking bling I have seen in a long time. Who cares about electronic shifting, deep CF wheels, bottle cages, etc, etc. This is smoking hot!

Last edited by seypat; 04-27-21 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 09:27 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
The case for noisy freehubs:

Is there any better feeling when you're taking your turn at the front, putting in what you think is a heroic effort, and hearing the "buzz buzz" of the folks coasting behind you?

What a great feeling that is!

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-27-21, 11:57 AM
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Can you adjust the preload on your bearings? Being DT Swiss, I'd guess the sealing is okay, but I'd be surprised if they're angular contact, which would surely require preload adjustment, which I can't recall ever seeing on a cartridge bearing hub. Meaning your wheels will rattle sooner or later, maybe even out of the box.

And your drive side rear axle bearing is near the centre of the hub, rather than next to the dropout where it belongs, which is dumb and crap.

If folks were to stop defending this junk, we might get something better, but nooo
If they were really junk, I think we'd all know by now. Your opinion of the quality doesn't make it a fact. None of my wheels "rattle" or have lateral play in them...out of the box or after thousands of miles of riding. If they did, I'd just grab a set of cartage bearings, and replace them, and be back on the road, no "artful" preloading required.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-27-21, 12:16 PM

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
Carbon-Ti hubs have adjustable preload cartridge bearings.
Likes For cuevélo:
Old 04-27-21, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Badger6
If they were really junk, I think we'd all know by now. Your opinion of the quality doesn't make it a fact. None of my wheels "rattle" or have lateral play in them...out of the box or after thousands of miles of riding. If they did, I'd just grab a set of cartage bearings, and replace them, and be back on the road, no "artful" preloading required.
You know how many times I've needed to replace cup and cone bearings in any of my stuff over nearly forty years?

None.

But apparently the simple act of setting preload within a rather wide window where the bearings don't self-destruct is actually some sort of arcane magic, judging by the number of rooted bearings I've come across as a mechanic.

Folks generally don't appreciate the finer points.

Last edited by Kimmo; 04-27-21 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-27-21, 05:54 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You know how many times I've needed to replace cup and cone bearings in any of my stuff over nearly forty years?

None...
You must be very diligent about maintenance. I also prefer cup and cone hubs and consider myself to be pretty conscientious but have managed to pit a few cones in my lifetime. They definitely require more attention than just setting the preload. I can understand why most people prefer cartridge bearings.
Likes For kingston:
Old 04-27-21, 08:47 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

None.

But apparently the simple act of setting preload within a rather wide window where the bearings don't self-destruct is actually some sort of arcane magic, judging by the number of rooted bearings I've come across as a mechanic.

Folks generally don't appreciate the finer points.
If you are getting decades of use out of you cup and cone hubs, thenI’ll wager you spend many, many times the time servicing your cup and cones than folks spend replacing quality cartridge bearings.

I have 4 Hope and DT Swiss (Hugi) hubs ranging from 12 to 20 years old. These are on my 2 most ridden bikes. In all that time I have had to replace the bearings in just one hub one time due to wear. Other than that, zero maintenance to these bearings. None.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-27-21, 10:47 PM
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have 4 Hope and DT Swiss (Hugi) hubs ranging from 12 to 20 years old. These are on my 2 most ridden bikes. In all that time I have had to replace the bearings in just one hub one time due to wear. Other than that, zero maintenance to these bearings. None.
Yep. And the one wheel set I had that used cup and cone bearing type hubs required adjustment about once every 3 months. After a couple of years, when I gave that bike to my son, I bought an inexpensive set of DT Swiss wheels, and he's ridden it for 2 years with not so much as a thought about the bearings. Though we did grease the free hub pawls and rotor last year, probably time to do that again. Just for the record that free hub is pretty quiet.
Old 04-28-21, 05:53 AM
Advanced Slacker

They don’t have preload adjustment for the simple fact that they don’t need them.
Old 04-28-21, 07:10 AM
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I am certain that this study exists.
It does, I did it on the way to work this morning. There is zero drag if you keep pedaling!
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-28-21, 08:57 AM
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
i like my hubs to sound just right.
Old 04-28-21, 09:35 PM

I use quality gear, generally Ultegra or better, and it's always been set and forget. Maintenance? Pshaw. Proper hubs have proper sealing. Many, many cartridge bearing hubs have little more than the poxy dust seals meant for electric motor applications you find on so many of these bearings.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
They don’t have preload adjustment for the simple fact that they don’t need them.
Baloney. You go and wiggle some rims; if you can feel the tiniest movement, that's an unraveling thread, and I've felt it plenty, even as I say, on new wheels. It's a stupid application for radial bearings, despite the lack of lateral loading on wheels - even with no rattle, without any preload, there's a hair's breadth of room before rattle sets in, then it's a short road to pitting.

And ye gods, the contamination. If a cartridge bearing that's otherwise fine gets contaminated, it might as well be junk. Sure, you could painstakingly disassemble and clean it in order to use it until it's actually worn out, but nobody does that except for that one guy. Cup and cone bearings on the other hand, are actually quite tolerant of contamination (yet are often better sealed anyway), since there's a natural escape path for grit to be pushed out of the way (like on the angular contact cartridge bearings that almost nobody uses).

I actually have a qualification at this stuff, you know. Is there anyone here poo-poohing my concern at this egregious yet overly prevalent shortcut, who's also actually a mechanic?
Old 04-29-21, 07:06 AM
Advanced Slacker

I use quality gear, generally Ultegra or better, and it's always been set and forget. Maintenance? Pshaw. Proper hubs have proper sealing. Many, many cartridge bearing hubs have little more than the poxy dust seals meant for electric motor applications you find on so many of these bearings.

Baloney. You go and wiggle some rims; if you can feel the tiniest movement, that's an unraveling thread, and I've felt it plenty, even as I say, on new wheels. It's a stupid application for radial bearings, despite the lack of lateral loading on wheels - even with no rattle, without any preload, there's a hair's breadth of room before rattle sets in, then it's a short road to pitting.

And ye gods, the contamination. If a cartridge bearing that's otherwise fine gets contaminated, it might as well be junk. Sure, you could painstakingly disassemble and clean it in order to use it until it's actually worn out, but nobody does that except for that one guy. Cup and cone bearings on the other hand, are actually quite tolerant of contamination (yet are often better sealed anyway), since there's a natural escape path for grit to be pushed out of the way (like on the angular contact cartridge bearings that almost nobody uses).

I actually have a qualification at this stuff, you know. Is there anyone here poo-poohing my concern at this egregious yet overly prevalent shortcut, who's also actually a mechanic?
I remember hearing some people making your arguments 20+ years ago when I first started reading internet cycling boards. The arguments made some sense then, or at least raised valid concerns. However, the past several decades of real people in the real world using sealed bearing hubs have proven your concerns to be a non-issue with quality hubs. The seals on decent bearing actually work pretty well. Again, this is what the real world has proven.

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-30-21, 05:45 PM

It's a shame folks like me who like their stuff to be as good as it can be are such a minority. Cartridge bearings, particularly as generally implemented, are a marginal proposition; an insult to the discerning.

And cantilevered hubs are just plain stupid. I've seen a through-axle one fail at that totally unnecessary fulcrum in the middle of the hub. Best engineering practice is to give parts more than one job; the cassette body should be a structural member.

I really can't understand why folks who are prepared to pay for the best gear aren't actually interested in the best gear.
Old 04-30-21, 05:52 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
It's a shame folks like me who like their stuff to be as good as it can be are such a minority. Cartridge bearings, particularly as generally implemented, are a marginal proposition; an insult to the discerning.

And cantilevered hubs are just plain stupid. I've seen a through-axle one fail at that totally unnecessary fulcrum in the middle of the hub. Best engineering practice is to give parts more than one job; the cassette body should be a structural member.

I really can't understand why folks who are prepared to pay for the best gear aren't actually interested in the best gear.
It's tough to be the only guy that knows what they're taking about.
Old 04-30-21, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's tough to be the only guy that knows what they're taking about.
Who knows. It's not people that, it's people who.

You might call it pedantry, but I call it not calling people objects. You might think that's NBD, but it matters.

Like goddamn crappy cartridge bearings and half freehubs.
Old 05-01-21, 04:09 AM
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Oh, boy
Old 05-01-21, 05:26 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Who knows. It's not people that, it's people who.

You might call it pedantry, but I call it not calling people objects. You might think that's NBD, but it matters.

Like goddamn crappy cartridge bearings and half freehubs.
Oh, some people clearly *are* objects.
Old 05-01-21, 05:33 AM

Okay, sure, nothing means anything.

It's a pomo paradise; no daylight between glorious excellence and scammy imitation.
Old 05-01-21, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Discussion's getting snarky. Time for the Turbospoke.

Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.