Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What makes a commuting bicycle different from other bikes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
April 22 is early? Easter is early, and the two holidays are farther apart than normal this year.
Shows you how much I know... I thought Passover would be early for the same reason Easter is early, because they were using the same Lunar Calendar... mea culpa...
Old 03-22-16, 11:12 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,451 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Shows you how much I know... I thought Passover would be early for the same reason Easter is early, because they were using the same Lunar Calendar... mea culpa...
It's a Jewish leap year, which happens every 19 years. There is an extra month tossed in. Calendars are complicated. Look up the formula for Easter!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-22-16, 11:33 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
April 22 is early? Easter is early, and the two holidays are farther apart than normal this year.
Easter is early! And my wife always feels compelled to have the flower beds, yard, patio, and decks is good shape by Easter. With the normal erratic Midwestern spring weather... it hasn't been easy to do yard work AND log miles.
Old 03-22-16, 11:51 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
tjspeil (#2) -- It's ridden to work. That's really what it comes down to. --- Amen, brother ;o)

I live in a hilly area, no long or very steep climbs but many small ones; my six mile fitness lap climbs a total 1300 feet yet no one climb is more than about 300 feet. There is no place I go where I do not have to climb a hill, however short it may be.

I am 74 yrs old, 6'1" with a BMI of 29. I am not fit and am 40# overweight. My everyday bike (the one I ride every day) is a full-suspension mountain bike with 3x9 sprockets and 16-104" overall gearing. It is right for me and where I ride.
The suspension and Schwalbe 50x559 "Kojak" slick tires give an incredibly smooth and high-traction ride, and, I don't have to dodge little cracks, small potholes and drain grates. Also, this bike can easily carry a rather large person (see: Clydesdales/Athenas in this forum) without collapsing wheels, etc. Mountain bikes usually have wide and relatively low gearing. They are very strong.

If I lived and commuted in a flat area, I might use my half-step + Granny 2013 Cannodale Synapse or maybe even set my 1989 Merckx as a fixie/single speed.

My Advice: Set your bike up to fit your personal needs and capabilities together with where you ride. Ignore the TDF wannabies.

Joe
Old 03-22-16, 02:14 PM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Umm, not sure about that. :-)

A friend rides one from his place in Assen NL to his office in Groningen NL which is about 15 miles each way and just over 1 hr.
And it's probably flat as a pancake. My 15 mile commute is endless hills.

Originally Posted by kickstart
They're not as slow as you think, the difference between my traditional Dutch bike compared to my trekking, and road bikes is only around 20 seconds per mile on my very hilly commute, and less than half that on flat terrain.
That may seem like a lot in theory, or to someone who races, but in the real world a few stop lights, a train, traffic, and many other things can have as much, or more influence on my commute time.
My fastest commute on my road bike is only a little over a minute faster than my fastest commute on my traditional Dutch bike. I have to reference my computer to know the difference.
I have ridden my heavy Dutch-inspired utility bike to work once, and home from work 3-4 times. Every time the trip ends up being 10-20 minutes slower. I simply cannot go as fast on it as I can on my road bike commuter. This morning my commute to work with a head wind took 86 minutes. The one time I rode the utility bike to work, also with a headwind, I was up to about 105 minutes and then had a flat about a mile from work, so I just walked the rest of the way.
Old 03-22-16, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
And then there's what the world outside of the U.S. considers a commuter bike:

Agree with all above though, it's really whatever someone wants to use and what works for them. I have a strong preference for the simplicity and comfort of Dutch bikes (though I have a bunch of road, track and mountain bikes for recreation) while others prefer more racing types.
As pointed out by Darth Lefty, it's not accurate to say the entire world outside of the U.S. considers that a commuting bike. The French style is quite different. They embraced the derailleur. The old British commuter bikes (i.e. Raleigh Sport and similar "English racer" 3-speeds) are not unlike the Dutch version, but a bit lighter and nimbler - though there were also the old rod-braked roadsters that fit the Dutch model to a T. Within countries, there was variation, too, as with the British example above. These days, I think hybrids of various sorts have become very popular commuter bikes in Western Europe. Not to say the Dutch style isn't still quite popular, but it's not universal.

From what I see in the U.S., at least here in Boston, is that the most popular commuter bikes are crummy department store bikes or bike boom ten-speeds. It is CRAZY how many of those old ten-speeds are still in use. The used market is just swamped with them. It's nuts.

Originally Posted by caloso
Some people even ride their race bikes to work.
Indeed! Some of us don't even own a non race bike.

Ok, that's not true. I do have an old hybrid bike for kicking around town, and it was very handy when I lived closer to work and in a denser part of the city (Allston/Brighton, for the locals). But it's not much use for my 8-mile commute now, and I'll be selling it soon. The thing is, having become very accustomed to riding road and cyclocross bikes, the real-world difference in speed is academic. The problem with the old hybrid is that it feels heavy and sluggish, and going fast on it feels unpleasantly like work. Perfect for short trips, but not to my taste for a longer trip. Most of what I like about my non-commuter commuter bikes has little to do with how much faster they are in the real world. Mostly I just like riding them a heck of a lot more.
Old 03-22-16, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
And it's probably flat as a pancake. My 15 mile commute is endless hills.
How do your hills compare to the Cauberg?

Old 03-22-16, 06:53 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

I have ridden my heavy Dutch-inspired utility bike to work once, and home from work 3-4 times. Every time the trip ends up being 10-20 minutes slower. I simply cannot go as fast on it as I can on my road bike commuter. This morning my commute to work with a head wind took 86 minutes. The one time I rode the utility bike to work, also with a headwind, I was up to about 105 minutes and then had a flat about a mile from work, so I just walked the rest of the way.
You may be surprised if you ever get the chance to try a real roadster, yes they're slower than a drop bar road bike, but do much better than most assume. I have over 3000 commuting miles on my classic Dutch bike.
Old 03-22-16, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I admit it.

I fell for the "commuter bike" marketing. My first bike was indeed marketed by Breezer as a "commuter" bike. What they call "transportation bikes" this year is what they called "city commuter bikes" last year. They're really hybrid bikes with accessories slapped on that are popular with a fair number of commuters - fenders to keep rain, piss, etc. off their backs, a rack for carrying panniers/bags, hub powered lights, etc.

That was before I learned that people can and will commute on just about any bike. The choice of bike is just a personal thing - whatever you're comfortable/happy riding on for your commute. Over time I made the Breezer work for me. It was hardly the best choice I could have made for my particular commute but I got a good deal for the money at the time, given that I was too intimidated/ignorant to shop effectively in the used market. Also, I had just learned how to ride a bike - as an adult - and I was impatient to start bike commuting ASAP instead of spending weeks on end agonizing over various bike choices. For a total noob like me, there's just some things I would not be able to learn without experience.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 03-23-16 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I live on a "main drag" for cyclists in my locale, so I see a lot of bikes. The commuters are riding pretty much anything with wheels: Hybrids, mountain bikes, drop bar bikes, single speeds, and the occasional "commuter" bike. Some riders are obviously into cycling and/or tinkering, and are riding fancy, historic, or oddball bikes. Every time I think a particular kind of bike is inappropriate for commuting, a commuter passes me on such a bike.

If somebody is thinking of getting started with commuting, and already has a comfortable bike that isn't a theft magnet, I usually suggest riding it to get a feel of their route: Distance, traffic, terrain, weather, payload, parking, and so forth. Talk to other people about their bikes, what they like and don't like, etc. Get used to routine maintenance such as fixing a flat. These things will give you a better idea of your own preferences when you decide to spring for a new bike.

My bike is kind of the US version of the English classic, but thrown together from parts. I'm showing it, just to emphasize that the requirements for commuting can be pretty modest, at 8 miles round trip over relatively flat terrain. On the other hand, this bike is supremely comfortable for me. I had just gotten home from Home Depot with a quarter sheet of plywood:

Also, this is what an IGH is:

Last edited by Gresp15C; 12-10-16 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 08:28 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Punchy71
Hello,
Thanks
If you don't have secure storage, a commuting bike could be a cheap beater that you don't worry about leaving parked in a iffy spot.

If you have to commute every day rain/snow/sleet/or shine, a commuting bike might have winter tires, fenders and a chain guard to keep the glop off of you. It might also have a rack or panniers for carrying your laptop and/or work clothes.

If you have to commute just for a while until you get your drivers license back, a commuting bike might be whatever you can get for $99 at Walmart. Ha.

If your commute is more rugged, maybe rough sidewalks, dirt or gravel trails, dirt or gravel roads, crappy shoulders, a commuting bike might be a cylcocross bike.

For me, I only commuted on good days, and I had secure parking garage to look after my bike, and I only commuted so I'd have the bike to ride after work. So MY commuting bike was my full race trim Tarmac SL2. Although sometimes, I would add a heavy Niterider light when I wasn't sure I'd be back across the GWB before dark.
Old 03-23-16, 05:54 AM
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Punchy71
Hello,
Thanks
The answer to that depends on the person who is commuting by bike and even the type of weather they intend to expose it to. For example, my giant escape is my "fair weather" commuter and has no fenders or rack but has a top tube bag to carry my phone and a thing of halt. On the other hand my huffy is a beater best suited to crappy weather, though it lacks fenders too.
Old 03-23-16, 07:20 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
As someone whose commute always involves a bike (or two, or three), the main distinction of my commuter bike is that it's not a "nice" bike. I try (often unsuccessfully) to avoid using a "nice" bike for commuting. Nonetheless it has most of the characteristics mentioned: low maintenance, fenders, dynamo lights. No rack, though (I use a messenger bag).

In the summer I use a folding bike, because I use a train station that doesn't have bike lockers. The folding bike looks completely different from my 'regular' commuter but it rides about the same.
Old 03-23-16, 06:38 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography

If you have to commute just for a while until you get your drivers license back, a commuting bike might be whatever you can get for $99 at Walmart. Ha.
This probably describes the public perception of bicycle commuting and around here probably describes accurately 90% of bicycle commuters among which the Walmart dual suspension MTB is the choice de' jour. Considering they have spent all of their money getting out of jail and paying legal fees even that is a stretch.

Whenever I pass (in my Jeep) a guy (and it is always a guy) riding a Walmart dual suspension MTB on the sidewalk, yep, DUI.

Today the winds were gusting over 50 MPH, bicycles are just not a practical transportation solution here much of the year, too hot, too cold and in between too windy. Unless you are desperate.

I commuted though grade school on a ballon tire bike, HS on an English "Racer" which I commuted with well into college though I had a car as well. Since then it simply has not been practical for me except for a short time when I interned for a company beginning my first career path. I now have another English 3 speed which I intend to set up for short commutes on nice days to the nearby coffee shop from my office.

J

Last edited by Loose Chain; 03-23-16 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Are you saying you can determine someone's legal history just by driving by?

I'm gonna suggest something kind of crazy: I suspect most people riding $99 Walmart bikes are riding them because they're cheap, not because they have a criminal record.
Old 03-23-16, 09:00 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Are you saying you can determine someone's legal history just by driving by?

I'm gonna suggest something kind of crazy: I suspect most people riding $99 Walmart bikes are riding them because they're cheap, not because they have a criminal record.

I did not say I believe that necessarily, I said that is the public perception, but then again, yes, many of them do have a DUI or for whatever reason cannot get a DL, they may not be legal. And I know it is the public perception because over and over, in settings not specifically bicycle related, and told by people who do not know I am a cyclist, that is the case, THEIR perception, not mine, right or wrong.

Edit, bike theft being an issue, I bought a Hiplock for my new commuter. Not sure if it is enough but I will be keeping it in my office. I am sure this has a large effect upon what a commuter bike is defined as, in some cases perhaps the most disposable bike available.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 03-23-16 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 11:24 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Today the winds were gusting over 50 MPH, bicycles are just not a practical transportation solution here much of the year, too hot, too cold and in between too windy. Unless you are desperate.
What hellish City do you live in?
Old 03-24-16, 08:23 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
It's ridden to work. That's really what it comes down to.

Lots of people ride lots of different kinds of bikes to work. Many people like having a bike with fenders, lights, and a rack to commute with. Others may not want those things.
I agree with this; however, I will add that a commuter bikes focus id reliability. Whenever a compromise is made, the heaviest weight goes to reliability. The next is low maintenance. When a bike is used hard on a daily basis a lot of the little post ride tinkering becomes burdensome.

After those two thing I agree with he racks, fenders, lights, that are common on commuter bikes; but not commonly seen on sport ride bikes.

Here is my daily commuter, as it is currently configured (except I have removed the studded tyres):
Old 03-24-16, 08:28 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
What hellish City do you live in?

Yesterday, I kid you not, going to work there was a 24 mph headwind. Then during the day the wind direction shifted and I rode home against a 32 mph headwind with 50+ mph gusts.
Old 03-24-16, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You can commute on virtually any bike. Since different commuters' routes, distances, weather and other factors are so varied, what makes an ideal commuter is really individual choices. My commute is fairly long (32 miles round trip), with lots of hills and decent pavement. I ride year-round and we get a lot of precipitation. So, my ideal commuter bike is reasonably light weight with mounts for fenders and racks. I've got several bikes that meet those criteria and I commute on all of them -- which include two touring bikes, a sport touring bike, and a cyclocross bike. If I had to pick one to keep, it would probably be one of my touring bikes or the sport tourer.
Old 03-24-16, 08:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert C
Yesterday, I kid you not, going to work there was a 24 mph headwind. Then during the day the wind direction shifted and I rode home against a 32 mph headwind with 50+ mph gusts.
Do people in your area also think that Walmart mountain bike riders are criminals?
Old 03-24-16, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Do people in your area also think that Walmart mountain bike riders are criminals?
No, they are people going to work.

But then, I teach at a middle school where many of our students drive. The reason that they drive is that if they are pulled over and the parent is driving, the parent will be deported. If the kid is driving they, at worst, will get a ticket. However, in most cases they will be told to park the car and walk the rest of the way. then after school they go back to get the car.
Old 03-24-16, 09:24 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In my state, the DUI people either just drive w/o a license or get a scooter, bc down here you don't need a license, registration or insurance to drive one. Of course, plenty of students are also riding them around. Mostly, it's the working poor who are riding wally world bikes, usually salmoning or on the sidewalk just doing their thing.
Old 03-24-16, 09:28 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my area as well, it's typically the working poor (dressed as if they're commuting to/from physical laboring job of some sort) who ride cheap mountain bikes - usually on sidewalks, although I see more and more of them using the bike lanes when they're available. Practically nobody here assumes they have DUIs.
Old 03-24-16, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I'm back after pondering the question. This year on the MUPs, I started seeing an overweight guy riding a fat bike with an electric motor of some sort. Never seen him actually pedaling. Therefore, literally any kind of bike can be used as a commuter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.