Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gravel racing a Miyata touring bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gravel racing a Miyata touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 07:45 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckjgc
The ride is just so much better on the Miyata, but I haven't tried really supple tires on the Fargo (e.g., Soma Supple Vitesse 50mm or something like that). Maybe I'll try that first and see.

To the poster above, the Fargo fits fine and rides ok for commuting and just riding around, bur for long gravel races it's not in the same league as the Miyata. I've done 300km and 400km rides on the Miyata in rando events without an issue. The Fargo frame would have killed me on those rides it's so stiff and unyielding.
Hmm, if you're doing long races like that, I'd be inclined to use it. Bikes are for riding. No point keeping it all minty fresh if it stays that way by staying in the garage. I used to ride my masi on gravel roads all the time, and it never was particularly harmed by it. Frankly, Miyata 1000 are bit over hyped these days now. It was a good top end production touring bike in its time. The paint on them was always relatively fragile and somewhat rustprone. If you do use it, consider spraying out the inside with framesaver or LPS3. For the outside, wrap the drive side chainstay entirely with cotton tape, apply some helicopter tape to the bottom of the down tube, maybe wrap the top tube also.
Old 02-01-18, 10:28 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Yeah, I went with the Cinelli "finishing tape" on my bike's toptube, though admittedly because it was scratched up already as it came from the Goodwill thrift store for $24.95.
Old 02-02-18, 01:06 AM

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
I'm really glad I didn't ask for limbs or testicles when I sold my Miyata 1000. Could've made the transaction a little awkward. ;-)
Hey, don't knock it 'til you try it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 02-02-18, 06:22 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 81 Posts
If you're not planning on selling the 1000, you might as well ride it. Even if it's future value is diminished, you will have had present fun.
Old 02-02-18, 06:50 AM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm entered in 2 gravel races this year, first ones for me. I've got a Fargo which is a meh ride, and an 86 Miyata 1000 I used for rando rides, though it's never seen gravel. It's pristine condition. I'm thinking of using the Miyata for gravel, so I suspect the original paint (which literally does not have a scratch on it) may get dinged-up. But it rides so much better than the Fargo and is set up for big miles in the saddle.

Blasphemy to gravel grind this bike?
I've used a 610 with an IGH and centerpull brakes. It works, but, it's not ideal IMO. My Wolverine is noticeably more stable and predictable on the loose stuff and on hairy descents, plus has the clearance for much wider tires.
Old 02-02-18, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
If you're not planning on selling the 1000, you might as well ride it. Even if it's future value is diminished, you will have had present fun.
Good point. If you didn't buy it as an investment, you might as well get the enjoyment out of it that you got it for.
Old 02-02-18, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Certainly did not buy it as an investment - even in its pristine condition I would likely get $1000 tops.

Originally Posted by himespau
Good point. If you didn't buy it as an investment, you might as well get the enjoyment out of it that you got it for.
Old 02-03-18, 02:43 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
Originally Posted by himespau
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Hmm, if you're doing long races like that, I'd be inclined to use it. Bikes are for riding. No point keeping it all minty fresh if it stays that way by staying in the garage. I used to ride my masi on gravel roads all the time, and it never was particularly harmed by it.
With great bikes comes great responsibility. Big difference for a collectable bike in "staying in the garage" and 'putting the bike in a competitive situation that may be more prone to scratching and damage than throwing some bags on it and heading out for a few days or something.'

Frankly, Miyata 1000 are bit over hyped these days now. It was a good top end production touring bike in its time. The paint on them was always relatively fragile and somewhat rustprone.
Completely the opposite of my experience with the 1990 1000LT. I'm as much of a "vintage" Trek fanboy as they come- Comparing my 85 720 and 620 as well as my Voyageur SP to the Miyata, the Miyata is a much different bike. Granted- there's another 5 years of development there- but it's more stable, both with and without loads.

I don't know the history of my bike- but the stock stem and bars are faded and the decals are faded under the paint. Generally, that's because it's left outside. However, the paint is in pretty nice shape- a few nicks here and there. It's a conundrum- because the paint is in such nice shape, but the decals under the clear are not.

I always compare old style touring bikes to the ride of a 1972 Cadillac ElDorado. It's a long wheelbase- it's cushy. It's not a sprinter- even though it has a 455. There's a market for cars like that. That is not the car, in engineering or collectibility to race in any way.

By the way, when I bought my Voyageur SP- it was pretty much pristine. It was "only" like a $400 bike- but I managed to put a dent in the TT; that dent not only kills the value of the bike- I don't ride it as much because it has that dent now.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-03-18, 02:54 AM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
The ride is just so much better on the Miyata, but I haven't tried really supple tires on the Fargo (e.g., Soma Supple Vitesse 50mm or something like that). Maybe I'll try that first and see.

To the poster above, the Fargo fits fine and rides ok for commuting and just riding around, bur for long gravel races it's not in the same league as the Miyata. I've done 300km and 400km rides on the Miyata in rando events without an issue. The Fargo frame would have killed me on those rides it's so stiff and unyielding.
Nicer tires will always improve the ride of a bike, but they can only do so much. Give them a shot, if the Fargo still isn't the bees knees, your second statement tells me that it should go.

My wife is not into bikes like me (eyes glaze over at the mention of bike building), but she has commented multiple times how much she prefers her 710 (full 531 frame) over her old Jake which was a CX-specific bike that she had ridden many gravel miles on.

One of my favorite gravel bikes is my Gitane TdF - full 531 frame with clearance for 34mm tubulars - an absolute dream on gravel roads. (She also commented immediately about how much she prefered her Gitane over the Jake after riding them both over the same long-distance gravel ride.)

Those old 531 frames often feel like they are imbued with a touch of magic.

Last edited by mountaindave; 09-01-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-03-18, 07:43 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
With great bikes comes great responsibility. Big difference for a collectable bike in "staying in the garage" and 'putting the bike in a competitive situation that may be more prone to scratching and damage than throwing some bags on it and heading out for a few days or something.'
That's completely fair. I should note that I may be biased coming from a time when these bikes had fairly low status. Treks were really the 'cool' bike for touring at the time.

I should also point out that I don't necessarily consider riding gravel roads to be abuse. I guess it sort of depends on the actual terrain, but I've never really scratched up, dented, or otherwise damaged a bike from riding the gravel. Older racing bikes pre 1975 or so were actually designed for use on both pavement and dirt.

Completely the opposite of my experience with the 1990 1000LT. I'm as much of a "vintage" Trek fanboy as they come- Comparing my 85 720 and 620 as well as my Voyageur SP to the Miyata, the Miyata is a much different bike. Granted- there's another 5 years of development there- but it's more stable, both with and without loads.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here? I don't really know Miyata 1000 circa 1990. By that time, I was working at Bridgestone/Bianchi/Centurion shop, and I would have sold the RB-T. The early 80s Miyatas had a pretty thin primer coat, and were somewhat more rustprone than average, IME. They quite possibly fixed that by 1990. I guess my point was, even if the paint gets scratched, a Miyata 1000 could be powdercoated or something at a later date, and will remain a very good bike. I don't consider the decals and paint to be any great artistic thing on those bikes, but again admit that's just my taste and probably bias.
Old 08-31-18, 04:23 PM

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

Well by ‘85 they had at least 5 coats.

Last edited by Chr0m0ly; 08-31-18 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
If you hadn't said pristine I would have encouraged you to give it a try. Looking at new gravel bikes for sale it's more about piloting a stack of marketing notions than riding a bike. If you don't like stiff forks you aren't going to get along with the current offerings. Myself I won't ride a stiff fork around the block. Big tires will blur the issue a lot. Something extravagant like the Lauf forks have about same travel as a nice lightweight steel fork.

Take a look at this one. https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Cadre-de-velo-porteur-ancien-stock-des-annees-50-Taille-55-56/382544541462?hash=item59116e7716:g:kmEAAOSw5ZtajA4~ . Lots of clearance. Braze on some canti studs, spread the rear drops and go. Same seller has two more that look interesting. There are lots of these available and they are unlikely to sell. Most will be landfilled or melted. If gravel racers started to buy them the French would drag them out of storage and list them. Hardly worth the trouble of listing as it stands.

Take a quick look at the Fitz Cycles site. He works quick and lets the final perfection of visual detail go. Which makes a lot of sense for bikes that will be beat up.
Old 09-01-18, 09:01 AM
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by 63rickert
Take a quick look at the Fitz Cycles site. He works quick and lets the final perfection of visual detail go. Which makes a lot of sense for bikes that will be beat up.
Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you, but Fitz’s Frames blew my socks off - all of them! I want one now.
Old 09-01-18, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Mountaindave

I want one too. If I were younger or lived less urban I'd have pulled the trigger.

As time goes by less interested in bikes that see too much time with jeweler's files.
Old 09-01-18, 11:54 AM
tantum vehi

Price (father of two girls - family man) and the fear of marring a perfect bike has caused the acquisition of only used bikes... just need to thin the heard and coalesce my vision of a perfect bike. Problem is I have so many different needs... hence the herd... Pennywise and pound foolish?
Old 09-01-18, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I have a 1000 too and might try it in a gravel race sometime but mine was found covered in appliance paint and was the victim of a flat bar conversion. If it was pristine I might just sell it, I've seen a few for sale around Ontario so they aren't unobtainable yet.

My 1000 came alive with some newer wheels, the stock ones are really strong but kinda heavy. I also used it for brevets and it really does well in that capacity.
Old 09-01-18, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
This is an interesting conversation because the ride vs. preserve factions are almost always represented on this forum, almost always incompatible, and almost always respect each other.

What I want to know is, do you folks consider the 1000 more desirable than the 720 and Voyageur?
Old 09-02-18, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canuckjgc - post pics should you rig up your Miyata for gravel duty. I'm doing the same to my 610. Bikes are made to be ridden! You can always find another one.
Old 09-02-18, 07:24 AM

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Don’t do it!

These bikes have a magical ride!
I have a new 1987 that I acquired a bunch of years ago.
I ride it in sun, rain, snow, and ice. No nicks or scratches yet in its job as a fast touring bicycle.
I have other rough, comparable bikes that I would have no problem putting in the compromising situation you are contemplating for this grail bicycle.
Do a long hard ride together on the Miyata, it will change your mind...I hope!