Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with bent wheel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help with bent wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Or there’s this great guy selling this sweet vintage wheelset right here...

Araya Semi-Aero Wheelset w/ Sansin Hubs
Likes For plonz:
Old 07-31-20, 03:51 AM

Bikes: 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davester
Personally, I'd take it back to Mike's Bikes and complain. The reason that spokes would continue to break would likely be that the guy who replaced the spoke didn't properly tension the spokes. Mike's Bikes isn't the best for vintage bikes but they should at least know how to properly true and tension a wheel.

A much better bike shop for vintage stuff is Missing Link, literally 1 block from Mike's. The closest bike coop that would have used wheels is Waterside Workshops which is down at Aquatic Park near the freeway.
Sorry for the late reply, been working a lot lately. But I can see that being the case, they were slammed and it took them all day to get to my bike. When I finally got it back I had to send it right back in because they'd adjusted the brake cable tension without redoing the switch on the brake lever that tightens the cable.

Definitely will check out Missing Link when I get a chance, fingers crossed they're still taking walk-ins!
Old 07-31-20, 04:08 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Once a wheel starts popping multiple spokes, its life is over. Time to rebuild it with a new spokes and a new rim. Spokes pop both because they are old and fatigued, and because the rim is bent and some spokes are now excessively tight to keep it straight and true.
Super Mirage with 2040 started in '77 or maybe '78. I had a '78 Super Mirage. It was my first good bike. The frame and bike is better than the specs suggest. They cost $235 brand new in 1978. That's $929 in today's dollars. It was sort of entry level into the world of better sport bikes.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure I could do it but probably not well. I'll happily pay a professional and avoid the trial and error of figuring it out myself. So to be clear, I can buy my own spokes/rim and take it all to a shop to get assembled?

Sweet! Guess that pretty much narrows it down to the late 70's. Any idea what specific year it might be?
Old 07-31-20, 04:10 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by niliraga
edit: oops, likely for tubulars and you'll prob want clinchers.
What's the difference?
Old 07-31-20, 04:25 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by plonz
Or there’s this great guy selling this sweet vintage wheelset right here...
Those are sick, but let me nail down exactly what needs to be replaced. Also I'm not familiar enough with bike wheel/tire sizes to know if those will fit but if it's anything like cars there's a little wiggle room between sizes.
Old 07-31-20, 07:13 AM

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
completely different kind of tire that's one piece, takes no inner tubes, and needs to be carefully glued onto the rim... so the rims themselves are also completely different.

A bit like choosing to shave with a folding, straight-blade razor: they're old school tech that many folks still swear by, but not an easy curve to climb if you're still new to shaving!

Originally Posted by Heptone
What's the difference?
Old 07-31-20, 09:32 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure I could do it but probably not well. I'll happily pay a professional and avoid the trial and error of figuring it out myself. So to be clear, I can buy my own spokes/rim and take it all to a shop to get assembled?

Sweet! Guess that pretty much narrows it down to the late 70's. Any idea what specific year it might be?
Yeah, I'd ask the shop first. it used to be bad form to bring your own parts to a shop, but that's mostly changed now. You'll need a 27" rim, which is a bit archaic but there's still some around. Have a look at the sticky thread above.

Your bike appears to be a 1977 Super Mirage. The combination of color, cable stop location and 2040 tubing narrows it down to that year. There's a catalog out there somewhere.
Old 07-31-20, 05:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I'd ask the shop first. it used to be bad form to bring your own parts to a shop, but that's mostly changed now. You'll need a 27" rim, which is a bit archaic but there's still some around. Have a look at the sticky thread above.

Your bike appears to be a 1977 Super Mirage. The combination of color, cable stop location and 2040 tubing narrows it down to that year. There's a catalog out there somewhere.
Got it. Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-31-20, 05:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by niliraga
completely different kind of tire that's one piece, takes no inner tubes, and needs to be carefully glued onto the rim... so the rims themselves are also completely different.

A bit like choosing to shave with a folding, straight-blade razor: they're old school tech that many folks still swear by, but not an easy curve to climb if you're still new to shaving!
I see. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 08-01-20, 01:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
UPDATE: Just dropped it off at The Missing Link in Berkeley. The guy there felt based on discoloration of the metal inside the break and the fact it keeps breaking spokes that it's simply an inferior wheel with low quality material. He's replacing it with a 622x16 wheel even though mine is a 630x14. He said they're essentially the same so I guess I'll take his word for it.
Old 08-01-20, 02:15 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

UPDATE: Just dropped it off at The Missing Link in Berkeley. The guy there felt based on discoloration of the metal inside the break and the fact it keeps breaking spokes that it's simply an inferior wheel with low quality material. He's replacing it with a 622x16 wheel even though mine is a 630x14. He said they're essentially the same so I guess I'll take his word for it.
Missing Link are pro. Unless things have really changed, they know what they're doing. Did you drop off the whole bike?

622 is the modern 700c size. You are better off in many ways with that if there's room to readjust your brake pads 4mm lower. (700C is 4mm smaller in radius than 27")
Old 08-01-20, 02:35 PM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
.. if there's room to readjust your brake pads 4mm lower. 700C is 4mm smaller in radius than 27".
A big "if." Looks like there's room in the front, but the rear is questionable.

This thread is a good example of learning to do your own stuff. C&V bikes are easy to work on. If you can turn a screw and follow a recipe step-by-step, you can build a good wheel. What's the worst that can happen? You take the newly laced wheel to a shop for them to true? The horror!

<Kurtz The Horror gif>
Old 08-01-20, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Agreed. Hard to tell for sure from the photo though, which is why I asked if he took in the complete bike.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-01-20, 10:30 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Missing Link are pro. Unless things have really changed, they know what they're doing. Did you drop off the whole bike?

622 is the modern 700c size. You are better off in many ways with that if there's room to readjust your brake pads 4mm lower. (700C is 4mm smaller in radius than 27")
Agreed. Hard to tell for sure from the photo though, which is why I asked if he took in the complete bike.
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

This thread is a good example of learning to do your own stuff. C&V bikes are easy to work on. If you can turn a screw and follow a recipe step-by-step, you can build a good wheel. What's the worst that can happen? You take the newly laced wheel to a shop for them to true? The horror!
I brought the whole thing in, yea. I figured that way the guy could look at the whole rig himself and there wouldn't be anything left to interpretation. Luckily he was able to get to it today so I picked it up earlier and rode it to the beach from my place. Not that there'd be a tangible difference in ride quality, but it feels good! Super happy with the service at Missing Link. Nothing against Mike's Bikes, but they were certainly in a rush to get my bike in and out whereas Chuck at Missing Link was happy to really take a look at my wheel and actually diagnose it the issue even though he was in the middle of another job when I walked in. Highly recommend the place to anyone in the Berkeley/Oakland area.

To sum everything up, this ultimately appeared to be an issue of a low quality wheel. You get what you pay for....buy solid parts!!!
Old 08-02-20, 03:22 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
I brought the whole thing in, yea. I figured that way the guy could look at the whole rig himself and there wouldn't be anything left to interpretation. Luckily he was able to get to it today so I picked it up earlier and rode it to the beach from my place. Not that there'd be a tangible difference in ride quality, but it feels good! Super happy with the service at Missing Link. Nothing against Mike's Bikes, but they were certainly in a rush to get my bike in and out whereas Chuck at Missing Link was happy to really take a look at my wheel and actually diagnose it the issue even though he was in the middle of another job when I walked in. Highly recommend the place to anyone in the Berkeley/Oakland area.

To sum everything up, this ultimately appeared to be an issue of a low quality wheel. You get what you pay for....buy solid parts!!!
Make no mistake, wheels and tires can be the single most important factor in ride quality, arguably more so on lower end bikes but always well worth the investment.