Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I was bumped by a car for the first time tonight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 05:04 PM

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I got T-boned at an intersection by a 17 year old kid. I broke my right ankle on both sides, my tibia/fibia/left shoulder. I still have more hardware in me than Home Depot. I'm worried about getting in another accident and what would happen with all the plates, rods and screws. I ride with a flashing front light and tail light and I'm super paranoid at stop signs and intersections. I also pick routes that are safer. I keep my fingers crossed that cars see me and I assume they don't at intersections.
Old 02-22-19, 09:00 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
The only way I can picture it is that he was going straight on the main road and the car was coming from a side street on the right, had a stop sign and intended to turn in the direction of traffic that he was riding. So he had the right of way on the main road, but the car pulled out and clipped him as he went past (OP please feel free to correct me if that's wrong).

Either way, glad he's ok!
This sounds right to me but my reaction would have to speed up not brake if it's this scenario and I'm past the turning car.
Old 02-23-19, 09:05 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
. . . and every time I look into a car when I'm riding I see people with their phones in their hands. The latest thing I see is people with phones sitting in mounts on the dashboard with Facetime calls or other video playing. Paying attention to the road has really become secondary to most drivers now.
This common idiotic behavior poses such serious danger to cyclists as well as other drivers.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-23-19, 09:16 AM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
The solution I've been seeing lately is for people to just completely black out their side windows. Despite the fact it's illegal. I guess in their minds, the window tinting might be illegal, but if that saves them from getting caught doing something else illegal (f@rting around with their phones) then it's worth the risk.
Old 02-26-19, 08:16 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am still not clear how this happened. If an oncoming car were turning right and you were going straight your paths shouldn't have crossed. If the car was coming from your left and turning right your paths shouldn't have crosdsed, if the car was coming from tyour right and turning right your paths would have crossed only if you rode in front of him ... which is sort of what seems happened, but I am not sure.
Sounds like a classic right hook.

Old 02-26-19, 09:37 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I am still not clear how this happened. If an oncoming car were turning right and you were going straight your paths shouldn't have crossed. If the car was coming from your left and turning right your paths shouldn't have crosdsed, if the car was coming from tyour right and turning right your paths would have crossed only if you rode in front of him ... which is sort of what seems happened, but I am not sure.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Sounds like a classic right hook.
In a classic “right hook” the car and bike are heading in the same direction driver, and the driver crosses the path of the cyclist.

The OP’s description of the accident doesn’t fit that scenario.
Old 02-26-19, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Dittoes to the above sentiments.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
You have to be part matador sometimes, in order to survive at this sport (i.e., riding in city traffic).
Evocative of that metaphor, I have posted about city riding:
Originally Posted by C.Jester
...I’ve always felt safer riding in heavy traffic in town than out on the back roads. At least if I get hit in town, there are witnesses and someone to call 911
Originally Posted by noglider
The weird thing is that traffic in NYC is aggressive, but I find it easier to survive than other places.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say NYC drivers are better than in other places, because it may simply be that I understand the dance and know how to do it .
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
As a social ballroom dancer with years of lessons, as well as urban commuter, may I say, "Well said."

There was thread once about rural vs urban cycling, and a concensus was that urban cycling was safer, because of the congestion and slower speeds. Even with heavy traffic, I know the patterns of traffic, the "dance steps," and can anticipate the car's movements.

Earlier on this thread, I wrote: An important aphorism I learned on BF is, "To know where a car is going, watch the front wheels, not the body or hood," though we don't watch our feet when we dance.
Old 02-27-19, 05:17 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
One might almost think certain Bostonian bikers were accomplished ballroom dancers.
Old 02-27-19, 02:27 PM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
I don't know where you got that idea.
Old 02-27-19, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
One might almost think certain Bostonian bikers were accomplished ballroom dancers.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I don't know where you got that idea.
@Maelochs knows whereof he writes.
Originally Posted by tsl
Bicycling in traffic is a dance you must lead: Web site with links to all the videos in the series
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The title, ” Bicycling in traffic is a dance you must lead” appealed to me as an (experienced) ballroom dancer. But even on the relatively safe dance floor, my wife will warn me, as leader, “Watch behind you.” as if I had eyes in the back of my head.

One night I did bring my eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look cycling mirror to wear on the dance floor, to tweak her of that habit.
So ... Saint Jim from D'uh says, "If you want to live Car-Lite, learn to dance."

That's my take-away.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-27-19 at 05:49 PM. Reason: re-arranged quotes