Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Unsupported ultra-endurance gravel race - what do you wish you would have brought?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Unsupported ultra-endurance gravel race - what do you wish you would have brought?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 07:57 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm getting anxious for The DAMn (240-mile gravel race across Minnesota) - we leave the SD boarder at midnight and must make it to the check points and get to the WI boarder by midnight. I've successfully ridden completely unsupported solo 150-mile rides, but this one is longer, much more remote (Western MN is very sparse). We will have support vehicles at the check points to reload supplies, otherwise the first 150 miles riders will be limited to what you have on you.

I'd be interested to hear your stories about long rides and that one thing you forgot to bring that would have made the difference.
OP reporting back - it took until this morning (3 days later) to realize one thing I would have like with me on the bike - Wet Ones Singles. There's a couple times you wanted "wash up" ... you know, when you [unmentionable] on the road side.

I will recommend something my riding buddies didn't have that I was exceptionally happy to have, lens cleaner singles. We had misty fog for the first 8 hours, so the gravel dust covered your lens making vision a serious issue. It took us a couple hours to realize our lights needed cleaning too - that you could do with your just hands, but the lights would get dimmer by the mile as they we coated with dust.

The other thing I missed out on was managing battery life. My front lights were good, but left one on in day setting through the day and it was dead when dusk came in, plus my battery back up had given everything it had. I hit the finish line at 8:45 pm just as the daylight was waning, and I was riding with 3 others that had some form of front light working. If we'd be 30 minutes slower, I'd have been in trouble!

Otherwise, the gear I had on-bike and in the support car was great for me and my small 'team'. This is a unsupported ride with VERY little on-route stops for supplies. We had ONE town on route, and it was well placed in the heat of the afternoon to allow us to replenish hydration (and get some ice cream!!)

Here's a pic of me and my set up at checkpoint 3 - mile 185

Old 08-21-18, 09:13 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
OP reporting back - it took until this morning (3 days later) to realize one thing I would have like with me on the bike - Wet Ones Singles. There's a couple times you wanted "wash up" ... you know, when you [unmentionable] on the road side.

I will recommend something my riding buddies didn't have that I was exceptionally happy to have, lens cleaner singles. We had misty fog for the first 8 hours, so the gravel dust covered your lens making vision a serious issue. It took us a couple hours to realize our lights needed cleaning too - that you could do with your just hands, but the lights would get dimmer by the mile as they we coated with dust.

The other thing I missed out on was managing battery life. My front lights were good, but left one on in day setting through the day and it was dead when dusk came in, plus my battery back up had given everything it had. I hit the finish line at 8:45 pm just as the daylight was waning, and I was riding with 3 others that had some form of front light working. If we'd be 30 minutes slower, I'd have been in trouble!

Otherwise, the gear I had on-bike and in the support car was great for me and my small 'team'. This is a unsupported ride with VERY little on-route stops for supplies. We had ONE town on route, and it was well placed in the heat of the afternoon to allow us to replenish hydration (and get some ice cream!!)

Here's a pic of me and my set up at checkpoint 3 - mile 185
Second time I've typed this because apparently BF doesn't like my use of ASCII emojis.

Anyway, congratulations! That's an insane effort. Good on you.

I've heard other people mention the need for -- ahem -- sanitary solutions -- and I don't doubt that it's a wise precaution and yet I still have yet do actually include that in my all-day setup. What can I say, I like to live dangerously.
Old 08-21-18, 09:39 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by ksryder
Second time I've typed this because apparently BF doesn't like my use of ASCII emojis.

Anyway, congratulations! That's an insane effort. Good on you.

I've heard other people mention the need for -- ahem -- sanitary solutions -- and I don't doubt that it's a wise precaution and yet I still have yet do actually include that in my all-day setup. What can I say, I like to live dangerously.
Every other all-day ride I've been on, there's be an outhouse, gas station, ... to do this. This was the first time I need to use the open-air toilet. I was happy I brought TP! but really liked the idea of 'washing' my hands after. Might be superfluous in gravel-grinder conditions (I really don't want to know what my tires are spraying on my all day!)
Old 08-21-18, 09:59 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Every other all-day ride I've been on, there's be an outhouse, gas station, ... to do this. This was the first time I need to use the open-air toilet. I was happy I brought TP! but really liked the idea of 'washing' my hands after. Might be superfluous in gravel-grinder conditions (I really don't want to know what my tires are spraying on my all day!)
Just thought of a million-dollar business idea -- chamois cream that doubles as a hand sanitizer!

Not entirely sure about the science -- I was an English major -- but it can't be that hard. You guys can say you knew me before I was famous.
Old 08-21-18, 10:08 AM
meh

Originally Posted by ksryder
Just thought of a million-dollar business idea -- chamois cream that doubles as a hand sanitizer!

Not entirely sure about the science -- I was an English major -- but it can't be that hard. You guys can say you knew me before I was famous.