Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

PSA - Counterfeit Chains Are Rampant

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

PSA - Counterfeit Chains Are Rampant

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 11:00 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
… takes an "I should have known" attitude.
Indeed they should have.
Old 10-29-22, 12:17 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Indeed they should have.
That is not an answer to the question that I asked
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-29-22, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Maybe it's like outing a drug dealer that sold you some bad dope. It irritates you, but they're still your dealer.
Old 10-29-22, 12:56 PM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
So, does this suggest that Big LBS is flooding the grey market with counterfeit chains in order to discredit these E-bay sellers?

This adds a whole new meaning to the term Q-factor.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-29-22, 01:31 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

it wasn’t meant to be, which is why I deleted the question part when I quoted you. The devil is in the details, you see.
Old 10-29-22, 01:33 PM
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
So, does this suggest that Big LBS is flooding the grey market with counterfeit chains in order to discredit these E-bay sellers?

This adds a whole new meaning to the term Q-factor.
I’m not getting that vibe. I think some vendors are just trying to order whatever they can to have inventory and don’t care where it’s coming from and/or aren’t checking what’s received. I doubt any of the big, reputable LBSs are doing this intentionally.

But hey - I’ve been wrong before.
Old 10-29-22, 01:55 PM
Thread Killer

Omg
Old 10-29-22, 02:41 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
No one on any of these counterfeit threads will ever out the seller and always takes an "I should have known" attitude. Why?
I can only speak for myself. In this case, I am going to give the sellers the benefit of the doubt that they may not have been aware the chains were fake (naive, possibly). I tried to send them a message about these items but the eBay app would not allow it, likely because the purchases were several months ago.
Old 10-29-22, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the US Retail chains and E-Bay seller chains come through different sources.

So, perhaps someone has got a deal to get chains shipped direct from Japan or China that they then sell on.

Subtle differences in packaging or colors of pins may or may not be representative.

I would think there would be some commonality of side plate markings though.

Personally I prefer to pin my chains together. So, snag a few replacement chain pins instead of using the quick links.
Old 10-29-22, 03:34 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I can only speak for myself. In this case, I am going to give the sellers the benefit of the doubt that they may not have been aware the chains were fake (naive, possibly). I tried to send them a message about these items but the eBay app would not allow it, likely because the purchases were several months ago.
Boychik, if you know, they know.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-29-22, 04:59 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
On this, yes, I'd assume so. Over on the photography side I know there are people who have found high-speed SD cards with low-speed chips on them in full retail channels like Best Buy, which in that case makes me assume someone at the factory subbed the slower chips to make a quota and hoped nothing would happen. I'd imagine the vendors are clueless.
Old 10-29-22, 05:11 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Prolly
Old 10-29-22, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Is it possible that if Shimano would be having troubles fulfilling orders, they'd contract with a 3rd party manufacturer to make parts like chains?
Old 10-29-22, 07:06 PM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is it possible that if Shimano would be having troubles fulfilling orders, they'd contract with a 3rd party manufacturer to make parts like chains?
Without any quality control? And using different font on the packaging?
Old 10-29-22, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Something is just not adding up here. The whole point of making knock-off products would be the substantially higher profit than manufacturing other products. Since the packaging, quick link and chain are for all intents and purposes identical than the original plus is was being sold at a discount where is the great upside for this manufacturer. In other knockoff situations I have seen it was for crazy expensive products and the knockoff can quickly be identified as as inferior. That is not the case in this case.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 10-29-22, 08:04 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

I would not buy chains on eBay unless I was pretty desperate.
At one point not too long ago - 11 spd Shimano chains were a tough find

bike shops were buying them on eBay (and Amazon)

QBP had zero in stock
Old 10-29-22, 08:37 PM
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Whoa, the chain broke twice?!

What was the failure mode, exactly? You said it “broke at the link plates,” but I’m not sure if you mean the connector (aka quick) link, or a regular link, or whether you mean broke as in ruined and unusable or broke as in came apart and was able to be reassembled. I guess that you said it broke in a different place suggests a different link, but it’s not clear if you’re saying the link you broke to reconnect the chain failed the second time, or if it ever failed at the connector link.
outer plate and pin, two different places
Old 10-29-22, 10:09 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Some of those links on the left-hand package very clearly say "SK" on them. Wasn't there a company called Sakai or something like that which made copies of stuff like Cinelli handlebars and branded them "SK" many years ago?
SR. And they copied the shape of some early Italian bars and stems, but they weren't knockoffs. They were a legit company that supplied millions of bars, stems, seatposts, and cranks to bike brands.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-30-22, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
For what it’s worth, I got mine from Amazon with Amazon as the seller. The chain looked legit, but the link plates broke when I was climbing. The QL is what gave it away to my mechanic that the chain was fake. His words were - if that’s the QL that came with the chain, the chain is fake
As an FYI, Amazon throws all of the same SKU into one bin. So if "11 Speed Ultegra Chain" is a SKU, and you send 10 to Amazon, Amazon buys 10, and I send in 10 fakes, they all get tossed into that bin. Then, the buyer just gets whichever one is grabbed of the 30 in this case is next in line (or top of the pile).
Likes For garciawork:
Old 10-30-22, 09:21 AM

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure what "leftover" means in this context...
A frequent source of counterfeit products is the factory itself. A manufacturer contracts to an overseas factory to build the product and pays for some number of units to be made. The factory, or individuals working at the factory, makes more units than the manufacturer requested, then sells the extras through other channels, who produce counterfeit packaging. The product is technically not counterfeit, and just as good as the original. In the OP's case, they may have received a Shimano chain with a quick-link sourced elsewhere, in counterfeit packaging.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 10-30-22, 09:36 AM
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by UnCruel
A frequent source of counterfeit products is the factory itself. A manufacturer contracts to an overseas factory to build the product and pays for some number of units to be made. The factory, or individuals working at the factory, makes more units than the manufacturer requested, then sells the extras through other channels, who produce counterfeit packaging. The product is technically not counterfeit, and just as good as the original. In the OP's case, they may have received a Shimano chain with a quick-link sourced elsewhere, in counterfeit packaging.
Correct and that’s my suspicion in this case.
Old 10-30-22, 10:25 AM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Is it possible the chains are ok but the quicklinks are inferior? It might be worth trying one with genuine Shimano (or other reputable brand) quick-links before tossing it in the trash. OTOH, if I had one break twice, I wouldn't want to bother.
Old 10-30-22, 11:23 AM
Should Be More Popular

Is it possible the chains are ok but the quicklinks are inferior? It might be worth trying one with genuine Shimano (or other reputable brand) quick-links before tossing it in the trash. OTOH, if I had one break twice, I wouldn't want to bother.
It's entirely possible and I have considered that. However I also am not eager to try one. I will hold onto the three chains if only for education purposes and maybe consider using them in a pinch. Luckily I am not a sprinter so probably going to break a chain easily.
Old 10-30-22, 11:43 AM

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,041 Times in 1,430 Posts
I thought about this thread this morning while I was watching a friend fix a brand new 9 speed chain that snapped under relatively light load leaving a red light. The chain had to have been defective. Separated a link or two from the quick link.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 10-30-22, 12:04 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
Or it can be manufactured on the same machines/ line, but with inferior quality materials or looser tolerances.
Likes For Bah Humbug:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.