Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pannier recommendations

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pannier recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just pack my empty panniers and gear into a single large duffel. Sometimes I take the duffel as my carry-on item and sometimes I check it usually depending on airline policy for international flights. I always use my handlebar bag with all the valuable as my personal cabin item. During my tour, I roll the duffel up with a couple of shirts and a pair of long pants inside. The rolling helps reduce wrinkling. Then I strap the duffel on top of the rack.

That said, I've never taken camping gear on an international tour. On domestic tours when I have taken camping gear, I pack the bulkier but lighter items as well as any pointy things into the box with the bike and usually FedEx that to my destination.
Old 02-06-18, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I have used this method many times for air (international and domestic) and rail travel:

We each a have large lightweight duffel bag (approximately 8 oz; mine is yellow and her's is black. The contents of my 4 panniers, and the contents of her 2 panniers fit in our duffel bags. The empty panniers go in the bike boxes, providing addition protection for the bikes. The duffel bags go as checked baggage. On tour the bags are rolled and carried in the bottom of our panniers.

The more fragile items (notebook, chargers, etc.), along with clothes, are packed in the red and yellow rackpacks, and are carried on along with our bar bags.

My wife can easily handle all her gear in airports and train stations.

This is all our gear for a 3 month tour, including camping/cooking equipment.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-06-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 04:12 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,489 Times in 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
I am planning on doing a fixed tour in South Australia. International flights allow for only two pieces of checked luggage and one carry on.
Originally Posted by redbagsrambler
On domestic tours when I have taken camping gear, I pack the bulkier but lighter items as well as any pointy things into the box with the bike and usually FedEx that to my destination.
If you have time, this is an option. No idea what freight cost or time to Australia might be (six weeks on a ship?) or whether your stuff would get more or less banged up ... But worst case scenario in my mind is I am at the airport and cannot bring some essential piece of gear because of weight or size limitations. Not sure if the airline will always allow overweight/oversized just because you offer them money .... But I have seen people at the luggage check-in scale repacking multiple bags to try to get the weight low enough in all of them .... I am assuming that one was so heavy that even with overweight fee it couldn't fly.

Ship ahead ... or buy online and have stuff shipped to an address at your destination (hostel/tour leader/friend.) I have done that on a tour--mail-ordered gear I didn't want to pack (bike parts and tools for instance (and a case of Powerbars---very dense)) which I had shipped to a person associated with the tour.

On that tour several people did that .... and also several people did a gear run to pick up some readily available camping stuff at the departure city instead of packing and shipping it.
Old 02-07-18, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not sure if the airline will always allow overweight/oversized just because you offer them money .... But I have seen people at the luggage check-in scale repacking multiple bags to try to get the weight low enough in all of them .... I am assuming that one was so heavy that even with overweight fee it couldn't fly.
As a general rule, anything over 32kg is verboten regardless of how much you want to spend and must fly cargo (OSHA-type worker health rules), although there are some limited exceptions. As always, the best rule is to know your airlines policies, and have them printed out.

I've played the pack and repack game before, made weight in kilogram measurement but was a few ounces over in pounds measurement in America when I had to recheck my bags after customs. It was either that, or pay a $50 charge, why wouldn't I move a couple shirts from my checked bag into my carryon

If you ever want to see some fun check-in counter arguments, watch the check-in counter for some of the African flights, where people only go home once a year or less and are trying to bring stuff back for their families. Watched one lady trying to fly with a 75kg regular sized suitcase, I still wonder what she had packed in there
Old 02-07-18, 11:08 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
As a general rule, anything over 32kg is verboten regardless of how much you want to spend and must fly cargo (OSHA-type worker health rules), although there are some limited exceptions. As always, the best rule is to know your airlines policies, and have them printed out.

I've played the pack and repack game before, made weight in kilogram measurement but was a few ounces over in pounds measurement in America when I had to recheck my bags after customs. It was either that, or pay a $50 charge, why wouldn't I move a couple shirts from my checked bag into my carryon

If you ever want to see some fun check-in counter arguments, watch the check-in counter for some of the African flights, where people only go home once a year or less and are trying to bring stuff back for their families. Watched one lady trying to fly with a 75kg regular sized suitcase, I still wonder what she had packed in there
I carry a luggage scale. And I set it for the units that the airport is using, pounds or kg. I assume that their scale is off to benefit them a bit and I assume that my scale is off because I am really cheap and buy the cheapest scale. Thus, I aim for 49 pounds if the limit is 50 and aim for 22.5 kg when the limit is 23. I have a few luggage scales, all read almost exactly the same (within a few tenths of a percent). But half the time I find that my 49 pound bag is 50 pounds on the airline scale.

Some heavy stuff that is small, like pedals I often put in my carry on to take weight out of the checked bag or bike case/box.

My expedition bike and the S&S case combined are over 50 pounds, so I have to carry a few bike parts in other bags to get the packed bike lower in weight.
Old 02-07-18, 11:13 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Doug64
We each a have large lightweight duffel bag (approximately 8 oz; mine is yellow and her's is black. The contents of my 4 panniers, and the contents of her 2 panniers fit in our duffel bags. ... The duffel bags go as checked baggage. On tour the bags are rolled and carried in the bottom of our panniers.

This is all our gear for a 3 month tour, including camping/cooking equipment.
Those duffel bags look very fragile to me. How has this system worked out for you as far as the duffel bags go?

I used the same system as you on Amtrak, but my luggage on Amtrak never gets beat up that much so I trusted my lightweight duffels with them. But I have been too nervous to try that on airlines.

In post number 2 of this thread (above) the second photo shows an olive green canvas bag I used for the same purpose as your duffels, but my bag was much heavier and took up enough volume that I did not want to carry it on my trip.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-07-18 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Those duffel bags look very fragile to me. How has this system worked out for you as far as the duffel bags go?

I used the same system as you on Amtrak, but my luggage on Amtrak never gets beat up that much so I trusted my lightweight duffels with them. But I have been too nervous to try that on airlines.

In post number 2 of this thread (above) the second photo shows an olive green canvas bag I used for the same purpose as your duffels, but my bag was much heavier and took up enough volume that I did not want to carry it on my trip.
Those bags have been on 10 flights and dozens of train rides, and are still in good shape. I'm getting ready to make 2 more like my yellow one for our daughters who are joining us on a long tour this summer. I didn't make the black REI bag, but I made the yellow one. The material is a lot tougher than it looks.
Old 02-07-18, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
The REI duffel I use is very sturdy and packs down, but it doesn't pack down super small. I carried it with me on a trip last year, and it was a pain figuring out what to do with it. I knew I'd be needing the duffel to hold my gear when I boarded a train at the end of the trip. Otherwise I would have found a way to send it home. But it remains a decent way to take my gear on plane. @Doug64's method looks like it packs a lot better, though.
Old 02-07-18, 04:05 PM

Those bags have been on 10 flights and dozens of train rides, and are still in good shape. I'm getting ready to make 2 more like my yellow one for our daughters who are joining us on a long tour this summer. I didn't make the black REI bag, but I made the yellow one. The material is a lot tougher than it looks.
Thanks. I might have to watch for a ripstop pack cloth duffel or maybe a source for that kind of material. I have not sewn any camping gear for several years, but used to when I was a college student and could not afford the good stuff.

The black mesh bags in the photo, one with red end and one with blue end I took on Amtrak. Those are light and small enough to leave in the bottom of a pannier, that is exactly where they were for my Pacific Coast trip. One is 340 grams, the other 410 grams. But, I would be afraid of using those on an airline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1003.JPG (277.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-07-18, 05:06 PM

I'm wondering if the bags' "fragile" appearance is incentive for the baggage handlers to treat a little more gently
Old 02-07-18, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Jef. I used to fly so often, my bags looked pretty worn. As I did with my bike, I guess I needed to have invested in a hard shell suitcase. One time the TSA so damaged my bike box, I am amazed the few bike parts, I had duct taped to the side of the box, where not lost. Guess, I just had bad luck with the bag handlers.
We try to box our bikes so that it is easy for TSA to inspect them. I tape 3 sides very well, and lightly tape the side I want them to open. I also talk to with the TSA folks as they go through the inspection.

I've had a couple of the TSA people tell me they will tape it up better than I did we have also had really good luck flying with our bikes.

These boxes went on 4 different flights getting to Lisbon: Portland-> Seattle-> Keflavik->Amsterdam-> Lisbon. Boxes look a little rough, but no damage to the bikes.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-07-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 06:12 PM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Missed the part about being centrally located, does that mean you are keeping your stuff in a hotel and just doing day rides? If you aren't camping, what you need for two months is all down to what you prefer. I could personally do it on carry-on only.
awesome pic of a man enjoying life!
Old 02-07-18, 07:43 PM

I'm wondering if the bags' "fragile" appearance is incentive for the baggage handlers to treat a little more gently
Possibly. The Co-Motion people have suggested that the soft S&S cases usually come through airlines in good shape while the hard cases appear to have been abused by baggage handlers that thought they were indestructible.

I am getting on a plane in April with a bike, there is about a 90 percent chance it will be in my S&S backpack case which is a soft case. I have had to glue some nylon cordura patches on it from where airline baggage handlers apparently dragged it on rough concrete as if it had wheels, which is does not. But otherwise it held up well.
Old 02-08-18, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Once I was on BA flight to Nice. That was the time my bike was beat upon by who knows who. A bunch of Italians noticed my beat upon bike. They asked did I fly in from Heathrow. ? I bought four panniers by Bike Packer made of polyster fabric. Two of those will suffice as my luggage on my flight to Australia along with a backpack.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-09-18, 08:51 PM
PB7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More reasons to pare down the stuff. Minimizing weight and bulk can be a very useful, eye opening practice. It makes for better riding and lifting and transport, and doesn't have to involve sacrificing on comfort or real essentials. Most experienced travelers who have switched to traveling light are glad they did. There's good support and information for the approach online.