Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 920

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trek 920

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Mike, I'm curious about stock wheels on pricier production bikes these days. My assumption being that the 920 fits that description. Would you feel confident sending someone out on a trip loaded as you were on the 920 without going over the wheels? I ask because djb's observation would imply an improperly trued wheel although one anecdote doesnt necessarily define the original status of the wheel.
i've bought a couple Handspun brand wheels a few years back and they didn't require any adjustment as received, spoke tension was even and they stayed true for years carrying my fat ass and loads. Just wondering if the bikes come out of the box with well built wheels.
A lot of spoke breakage I saw decades ago on PCH came from people who simply were unaware of the condition of their wheels so they would ride for 100's of miles on wheels a bike mechanic could tell right off needed trueing. The only way the person knew something was wrong was when the spokes broke.
Having run MANY pairs of untouched stock wheels and a few pairs of handbuilt wheels, I will say I personally see so little difference long term between the two that I don't really worry myself about it. I have seen a handful of lemons on customer bike and the worst pair I saw were handbuilt by someone who thought they knew what they were doing! Always have a competent person check everything over before leaving on a trip. That's the lesson.
Old 01-17-16, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not to overthink this but what's the advantage of 28 hole rims? There's an areodynamic advantage to fewer spokes if going fast but most people going offroad touring probably aren't time trialing. What's the downside of overbuilding the wheel a bit with say 32 spokes? Overbuilding parts that might fail doesn't strike me as being an old school mindset so much as a pretty sound design principle.

To be clear, I'm not arguing with your experience with the bike which is clearly excellent but you also said it was the best thing out there for offroad touring. What's the advantage of 28 spokes say over 32? Are you going fast enough where this is a plus for you? Why is it a disadvantage to overbuild a wheel for that kind of an application say with 32 spokes?
I run and many fellow riders here run 28 or even 24 hole wheels for off road use. some of the folks are physically large people.I see occasional problems, but usually not from wheels spontaneously coming aprt due to too few spokes. Now touring with a load seems like it would be different, but after using 32H handbuilt and now 28H machine built over thousands of miles, I feel comfortable on either one. Metallurgy, QC and technology have come a long ways since 1985! (My boss told stories of having to take wheels off brand new bikes, strip them down and remove excess spoke lengths that was poking up through the rim tape.)
Old 01-17-16, 06:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
More spokes are better for wheel longevity, and the incremental weight added by a few spokes for Touring use is utterly trivial. Well built 36h, 135/100mm QR hub wheels are fairly common among the Touring crowd because they are sensible low-cost, low-maintenance, proven wheels.

The Surly LHT, probably the most popular touring bike ever, uses mid-tier Shimano ball bearing hubs, inexpensive Alex rims and 36 straight gauge spokes. I cannot recall a single thread on the Touring forum where someone complained about the cheap wheels on their LHT. It is unnecessary to reinvent this wheel for touring.

The fact that the Trek 920 has 28 spoke wheels is not it's major shortcoming; rather it is the fact that the 920 frame/fork will accept ONLY 142-12mm rear and 100-15mm front thru-axle wheels. These will likely be a special order item at any North American LBS you'd stop at for a wheel replacement. If you plan on touring outside NA the Trek 920 is not the best choice.

I'll conclude by noting that steel is well known to be a more durable material with a fatigue limit that is several orders of magnitude greater than aluminum. A well built steel frame can last lifetimes if protected from corrosion. An aluminum frame can fail in relatively short time used regularly in a rough off-road setting, which makes the choice of Al for the Trek 920 all the more puzzling. Evidently Trek is aiming for the MTBing crowd with this bike, and since more than half the bikes sold spend their entire lives in a shed, basement or garage, Trek probably isn't risking much in the design of the 920.
Very true in some regards. It was designed as an off road machine that is dual use. I have seen VERY few frame failures in aluminum that weren't the result of a crash, abuse or just plain age however. I have broken steel and carbon frames personally, but both through crashes that had very little do with the frame material. YMMV and i get that. Ride what you like and are confident in. Don't let the marketing gurus tell you what is best.
Old 01-17-16, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeonthemadone
Having run MANY pairs of untouched stock wheels and a few pairs of handbuilt wheels, I will say I personally see so little difference long term between the two that I don't really worry myself about it. I have seen a handful of lemons on customer bike and the worst pair I saw were handbuilt by someone who thought they knew what they were doing! Always have a competent person check everything over before leaving on a trip. That's the lesson.
That is good to hear. I'm 30 yrs out of the business but I remember some Motobecanes that had to be trued just to run between the brake pads ok. Since then I've had one new bike purchase six years ago, a Surly LHT, and was pleased with the wheels.
Old 01-17-16, 08:26 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeonthemadone
... Don't let the marketing gurus tell you what is best.
I wish you'd followed your own advice. You don't seem to know what you like about the 920 other than it handles and brakes nice.

Why would anyone spend an extra 50% above the cost of a Surly Disc Trucker for a Trek 920 - isn't there a better reason than "it handles nicely and brakes well"?
Old 01-17-16, 08:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish you'd followed your own advice. You don't seem to know what you like about the 920 other than it handles and brakes nice.

Why would anyone spend an extra 50% above the cost of a Surly Disc Trucker for a Trek 920 - isn't there a better reason than "it handles nicely and brakes well"?
Gee, isn't the whole idea to have fun and just ride bikes? I work for a Trek dealer and don't really care for any of the Surly lineup. Does this make it a poor purchase? Heck no, I have trips done and lots more planned!!
Old 01-17-16, 08:59 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I test rode the 920 and it was a fun bike and had some cool stuff that I dug but I wouldn't rate it in my top touring bikes. If I had to go with a touring bike from Trek it would be the 520 (though I wouldn't go with Trek) but if I wanted one of those sort of adventure touring bikes I would probably go with the Specialized AWOL EVO, that thing has some pretty sweet details that are great for touring. Steel frame for a comfortable ride, Supernova dynamo lights and Plug (with a cool bar end switch) 32h wheels, TRP disc brakes (HY/RDs so you can run cross levers), Tubus rear rack and comes with fenders. It has some similarities with the 920 but I think overall is a better package for the money. If the 920 was steel I might rate it a bit higher but I would still say the Specialized is a better bet.

However for the best bet before total custom is Co-Motion. They make all sorts of different touring bikes with different configurations and have been doing so for quite a while. They give you a ton of options if you want 29" or 26" or maybe classic 700c, IGH or derailleur...I think spending the extra money and getting something nicer is always a great way to go if you can afford it. If not start off like I did with a Disc Trucker or something like that and upgrade when you can.
Old 01-17-16, 09:05 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Great, another troll. Are you a sock puppet of Ty0604?

No one comes to bikeforums for patronizing, cliched answers or product shilling. We're all looking for good information, or to share good information.

You earlier stated "I wouldn't dream of anything else for myself for the next several years".

You make it sound like 920 is an incredible bike. I'm simply asking why is that?

You claim to work in a LBS, so I'm sure you must be capable of explaining why you chose a 920, and why you think it's such a great touring bike. Please leave off the hyperbole and just tell us why the 920 apparently dominates your dreams.
Old 01-17-16, 09:45 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 796 Posts

No one comes to bikeforums for patronizing, cliched answers or product shilling. We're all looking for good information, or to share good information.

You earlier stated "I wouldn't dream of anything else for myself for the next several years".

You make it sound like 920 is an incredible bike. I'm simply asking why is that?

You claim to work in a LBS, so I'm sure you must be capable of explaining why you chose a 920, and why you think it's such a great touring bike. Please leave off the hyperbole and just tell us why the 920 apparently dominates your dreams.
I can only say that I didn't take his comments in the way you describe.
And as far as I can tell, he was being polite and just giving his opinion, and thats ok.

Its just a bike, and he is having fun on it.
Old 01-17-16, 11:42 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Sometimes it is marketing hype or what the reps tell you. I know at the last place I worked there was a lot of that. I did and still do a lot of research into products and I can usually tell a good rep from a bad rep but a lot of these folks can't or just won't. There were tons of products that people came in pedaling that I thought were complete and utter crap (or a a few notches above that) and some stuff that really did catch my eye and make me want to buy it but if I knew of a better product we didn't sell I told them about it because I am about getting people quality stuff not just making money.

I know Trek has been hyping the 920 big time because they want their piece of the adventure/off road/touring pie. It is big money now because a lot of folks are into it and people are talking about it quite a bit. I have no doubt in my mind that if you work at a Trek store you will be talking it up heavily. I remember at one of the shops near me it was on display right as you walk in soon after it came out.
Old 01-18-16, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have a Specialized AWOL. Changed the cassette and will change the crank next season to get a little lower gearing for climbing loaded, but the ride on the bike with a Brooks B-17 is magnificent.

There is no way I'd own an aluminum touring bike. The ride just isn't the same. I've tried AL frames over and over, and they are just too harsh for long days in the saddle. Be objective, and ride at least an hour over lots of bumps before you buy.
Old 01-19-16, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I dunno those along with comfort are the things I look for most in a bike. Early on when I started riding again I ruled the LHT out because it just wasn't fun to ride and to me that was an important motivational aspect of riding. Now that I have a few years of experience under my belt I'm not sure I would want a LHT under any circumstances but that's me.

Originally Posted by Mr Grinch
I too have a Specialized AWOL. Changed the cassette and will change the crank next season to get a little lower gearing for climbing loaded, but the ride on the bike with a Brooks B-17 is magnificent.

There is no way I'd own an aluminum touring bike. The ride just isn't the same. I've tried AL frames over and over, and they are just too harsh for long days in the saddle. Be objective, and ride at least an hour over lots of bumps before you buy.
The AWOL is my new most favoritist bike and for me it's a great all rounder though it too has many detractors. I can load it up and hit the road, granted I fall closer to the ultra light mentality, and run it around town as a commuter. I had a little, actually a lot of, Vaya envy after purchasing the AWOL and snapped on up on CL when I found it on the cheap, then my lovely daughter decided to make a play for the AWOL. Now I can't wait to get another AWOL and try to find a way to rationalize keeping the Vaya too but if I have to choose the Vaya is gone no contest.

The 920 looks like it could be a fun bike but the geometry looks a little too aggressive for my tired old body, I certainly want something more upright.

There are tons of disc options out there and the best one is going to be the one that you will actually enjoy riding. My best advice is to test ride the crap out of a bunch of bikes then eliminate a few and repeat.
Old 01-19-16, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Just out of curiosity, as I am planning to do the same to my AWOL, what cassette did you use as a replacement and which crankset are you planning on using? I have been a little obsessed with AWOL gearing replacement options recently.
Old 01-19-16, 06:05 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by Squeezebox; 01-20-16 at 07:32 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-19-16, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some people are just not happy unless they are arguing. Lets just go ride bikes OK? I'm out.

Mike (On Sabbatical to tour our great country until Spring of 2017.)

Spoke and Wheel Bike Shop
Twin Falls, Idaho
https://www.facebook.com/Spoke-and-W...51783/?fref=ts
Old 01-19-16, 06:35 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by Squeezebox; 01-20-16 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 06:38 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by Squeezebox; 01-20-16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 09:12 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
24 is only 4 away from 28.
28 is 8 away from 36.
20 is 4 away from 24.

28 spokes on what is marketed as arough tough go anywhere heavy duty pack it up bike is akin to the terms jumbo shrimp and astronomically small.
...those are oxymorons, just to be clear.
Old 01-20-16, 07:51 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
24 is only 4 away from 28.
28 is 8 away from 36.
20 is 4 away from 24.

28 spokes on what is marketed as arough tough go anywhere heavy duty pack it up bike is akin to the terms jumbo shrimp and astronomically small.
...those are oxymorons, just to be clear.
I'm not trying to say that I know more about wheels than the Trek engineers know and have tested. Those guys get paid well to know more than I do. Sure I was surprised at 28 spokes. My road bicycle does very well with 20/24 radial. Another example, look at the spoke count on some of the tandems now-a-days. I was surprised about that also. I trust that Trek knows what they are doing.
Old 01-20-16, 08:14 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
This is your third post with only a bunch of dots. What does it mean?
Old 01-20-16, 08:20 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is your third post with only a bunch of dots. What does it mean?
Odd- He posted 28 is only 4 away from 32. This is what I responded to. But then he deleted the post.
Old 01-20-16, 08:30 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I thought it might be some unfamiliar internet shorthand. You can delete posts w/o leaving something weird. I guess maybe it's like a dog peeing on a hydrant?
Old 01-20-16, 08:38 AM
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I'm not trying to say that I know more about wheels than the Trek engineers know and have tested. Those guys get paid well to know more than I do. Sure I was surprised at 28 spokes. My road bicycle does very well with 20/24 radial. Another example, look at the spoke count on some of the tandems now-a-days. I was surprised about that also. I trust that Trek knows what they are doing.
Trek outfits commuter and ebikes with 32 spokes, yet what is supposed to be a heavy duty go anywhere offroad adventure bike has 28.

A couple things in response to your post.
- Those who spec a product often times do so within a price range and/or image. Perhaps a higher quality wheel was cost prohibitive. Perhaps a higher quality wheel wouldnt meet the company's marketing look. I have no idea, those are just guesses, but they are the only things I can think of since outfitting it with 28 instead of 36 or at worst 32 is just so odd.
- Why would you trust that Trek knows what they are doing? If ever ignorance was bliss, this is that time. Please dont ask me to list the thousands of times when a company's design team created a flawed or faulty product. I could list a dozen in the bike industry off the top of my head, and way more if I actually looked them up. Cars which start on fire. Cars which dont turn. Toys which melt. Toxic materials which leech.
Those are all fatal flaws in products and all we are talking about is a poorly spec'd bike, so not even some fatal flaw. Thousands of bikes are poorly spec'd. Often times its because of a cost constraint, but at $2000, this shouldnt be due to cost.

My wife's new Cdale had terrible brake pads. I mean awful. They were poorly spec'd. I switched them. Based on your logic, Cdale engineers knew what they were doing and I should have kept the originals. Thatd be pretty absurd in my mind.
Old 01-20-16, 05:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Just out of curiosity, as I am planning to do the same to my AWOL, what cassette did you use as a replacement and which crankset are you planning on using? I have been a little obsessed with AWOL gearing replacement options recently.
Stock upfront right now, cassette is 11-34.

Haven't decided on the Crankset yet, but it will be something with a granny gear that requires 90 rpm just to move the bike at .5 mph.
Old 01-20-16, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Stock upfront right now, cassette is 11-34.

Haven't decided on the Crankset yet, but it will be something with a granny gear that requires 90 rpm just to move the bike at .5 mph.
Not to threadjack but I run a 105 triple on the front and a 11-36 cassette on the rear with a RD-M772 rear derailleur. I have a 26 tooth chainring that I was going to put on but the kid made off with the bike so I don't know if it would have worked but had over 2k on the rear mechanics and they were and still are flawless and I really liked having 50t for Pgh downhills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.