Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

3Rensho Road frame build up

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

3Rensho Road frame build up

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 12:56 AM

Bikes: Nagasawa Special Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
On my fixed setup I ride 48/17 in the city. Climbing hills with that works OK.
Old 07-07-20, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by vladuz976
On my fixed setup I ride 48/17 in the city. Climbing hills with that works OK.
There are gradients and gradients. And even if the gradient is nothing special, if it goes on long enough you'll tire.

My city runabout is a Miyata LeMans Criterium whose lowest gear is 42 front, 28 back. Even I can get up Ōtarumi (just west of Takao) on that, but I don't know anyone who could get up Wada (a slightly different direction from Takao) with that gearing. Wada is famously "challenging" (unpleasant), but Matsuhime isn't: with what's marketed these days as "compact" gearing (34 front, 28 back), you could ride up from Saruhashi to the entrance to Matsuhime tunnel, ignore it and instead take the tunnel to its left (nominally forbidden, but nobody will care), go over the top of Matsuhime and down to Kosuge, descend to the west of Okutama-ko, go from the east of Okutama-ko along Okutama Mukashi-michi, and then either take the train back or ride all the way back . . . and actually enjoy yourself. With racing gearing (or skinny tyres or both) your chums might be awestruck but you'd probably feel more or less miserable.

By the 80s, Suntour and Shimano had worked out how to make decent mid-price components. (Exceptions are flagged in disraeligears.co.uk.)

Fit 700x25 or (better) 700x28 if the frame allows them. Less discomfort, fewer punctures.

Look for parts at Yafuoku. (Or better, look there for a donor bike.) If you're in a hurry to get this or that and are willing to spend, Kato (Nagoya) has a good reputation (I've never tried them).
Old 07-11-20, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks like an earlier 3Rensho Super Record.

I'm quite bias (as I own this groupset), but I would go with Suntour Superbe Pro. I'm sure Giracha can find you this groupset or you can find one on YahooJapan auction.

As someone who has both 3Rensho track and road bikes, I can truly say I've enjoyed the process of finding and fitting the perfect pieces onto these masterpieces.
Old 07-11-20, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Nagasawa Special Track

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wallythewhale
Looks like an earlier 3Rensho Super Record.

I'm quite bias (as I own this groupset), but I would go with Suntour Superbe Pro. I'm sure Giracha can find you this groupset or you can find one on YahooJapan auction.

As someone who has both 3Rensho track and road bikes, I can truly say I've enjoyed the process of finding and fitting the perfect pieces onto these masterpieces.
Thanks!
yes, I went yesterday and they have or can get pretty much anything.
Old 05-31-21, 10:42 AM
Grasshopper

Bikes: Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by styggno1
I believe this frame might be a 3rensho Athlete with a decal set for a SR Export. Some of the Athlete model frames has plain semi wrap seatstay caps.
What is the typical mark to look out for to confirm a 3rensho athlete bike? Any list to refer to?
Thanks