Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One of those "what a jerk" mornings :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 06:16 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
He moved back into the bike lane (he had started to drift back into the main road, so I slowed down and tried not to crowd him). As I went by him, rather than give me a "thanks" wave for letting him know, he yelled at me: "Lights!". I looked at the guy and he was a bit older (because he had a fairly gray beard). I thought "What an a** hole." and drove on. As an after thought, I should have yelled back at him "Stay in the bike lane!" but it was too late.

So, that was my Sunday "encounter-a-jerk" morning and I went on to the store.

It bothered me at the time but the rest of my day has been fine. Sighhhhh......
As cyclists we use lights in order to be seen. We call it a safety measure. It sounds like he wanted it to be easier/possible to see you coming. That makes him an "a**hole?" You need to re-think this.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-12-22, 06:20 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have no problem criticizing a cyclist if I think it's warranted. I'm not a member of the "Cyclist Team." So, I don't automatically side with someone just because we are both cyclists
Sure, and maybe some here are automatically siding with the cyclist, but most are being swayed by the OP's actions, sense of entitlement, and clear indications that they're an unreliable narrator.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-12-22, 07:21 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sure, and maybe some here are automatically siding with the cyclist, but most are being swayed by the OP's actions, sense of entitlement, and clear indications that they're an unreliable narrator.
I was responding to this statement...."You came on a cycling forum to bash a cyclist."
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-12-22, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
I have no problem criticizing a cyclist if I think it's warranted. I'm not a member of the "Cyclist Team." So, I don't automatically side with someone just because we are both cyclists
I was responding to this statement...."You came on a cycling forum to bash a cyclist."
It was a simple (and true) declarative statement. You seem to be reading a lot more into it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-12-22, 08:13 AM

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Apparently the OP has taken his licks and gone away. Hopefully for a long time.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 10-16-22, 07:27 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You came on a cycling forum to bash a cyclist.

This should be fun.
He had every right to. Since there was a bike lane, he should have stayed well into it. Cyclist are not always in the right.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-16-22, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
He had every right to. Since there was a bike lane, he should have stayed well into it. Cyclist are not always in the right.
You and bruce19 both fail reading comprehension 101. My post did not offer an opinion -- it was just a statement of fact.
Old 10-16-22, 08:34 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
If I pedal outside the bike lane for a few seconds, please don['t honk at me.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-16-22, 09:02 AM

No.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-16-22, 09:11 AM

On a ride earlier this week, I thought about the OP's silly assertion (and others like it) that he could sufficiently judge the condition of the bike lane from the driver's seat of his car. I was on this stretch of road, and there's very good reason to move in to the lane that wouldn't be apparent to 99.99% of the drivers -

I'm betting that people like the OP and rydabent couldn't tell me the reason from this shot or from the driver's seat of their car.
Old 10-16-22, 09:55 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,657 Times in 2,927 Posts
I’m going with scary shadows…. Can’t be the road construction ahead - way toooooo obvious

Old 10-16-22, 10:08 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...on my bike, yesterday, I encountered not one, but two separate instances of cyclists coming head on at me, on my side of the trail. The first one played chicken right up until the very last moment, because he was struggling to pass someone in his lane, and needed all of my lane to pass that person. I yelled , "Jesus ******g Christ !!!", as I braked. The second, much more egregious instance, was farther down the trail, where three guys on bicycles needed my lane as well as theirs, so they could ride three abreast. At this person (the one in my lane), I yelled, "Move the **** Over !!!".

Neither of these people cared the slightest what I thought. The second one yelled something back at me, but I did not hear what it was.

I did not come here and start up a thread about it, because I knew no one here would care either. This forum is predominately inhabited by heartless and unfeeling trolls, unfit to respond to sensitive souls like us.
I encounter this type of behavior on a weekly basis when I was riding the trails. Arrogant cyclists chatting away riding side by side taking up the entire path. No yelling out, ringing the bell, will sway them to move over. They just glare at you while passing by. The last time, I got run off the trail, brushing up on the bushes and scrapping up my arm. Ya why don't the city trim those tree branches and bushes more often. It is what it is. Some people have issues at home/work or whatever and vent it out on others. Some are just natural born bullies. Whatever the reason, best to slow down to avoid a collision. Unless you are a muscle bound bodybuilder cyclist, then they might give you some consideration. lol
Old 10-16-22, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
Knowing the overcast he speaks of, it does blur the roadway. As is seen here, misunderstandings are typical on the road and mistakes are often responded to without any forethought. Not sure why a quick honk gets taken as an aggressive maneuver, but it does. I usually wave because most of the time it's someone I know.
Old 10-16-22, 10:29 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
A cyclist, at least in my state, is not required to stay in the bike lane. And while often times a bike lane is nice, I will swerve out of them for glass or other road hazards as I see fit. Your frequent pot stirring world view of how and what people should ride does not do much to prop up the OP's narrow world view of what a bike lane's purpose is.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-16-22, 10:33 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Not sure why a quick honk gets taken as an aggressive maneuver, but it does.
Most of the replies I think took the honk as being a hostile reaction to the cyclist because we understand that the OP was likely a jerk for calling out someone for being a jerk and then coming here looking for validation of his actions.

Old 10-16-22, 10:43 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,657 Times in 2,927 Posts
Found one comment above interesting. It was about calling out another cyclist even though he may have been in the wrong. I encountered something similar on a sports car forum I belonged to. One owner did a dicey maneuver which was borderline reckless but others rushed to his defense in what can be described as a tribal defense. I find tribalism can be very short sighted and will often overlook egregious behavior. Yeah I called the guy out and was harassed for it, but oh well, it needed doing.

Old 10-16-22, 11:08 AM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...does something happen to people when they move past the limit of two wheels on the road ?
Is there some sort of mental transformation that takes place, where all the colors of the rainbow are reversed in order, and the usual definitions of "right" and "wrong" slide more toward where you are sitting ?

Are these rhetorical questions, or do they have some deeper meaning ? If you use the pronoun "he" in two successive sentences, but referring to different individuals, are you an agent of chaos ?

Find out the answers to these questions, and more, when we resume the discussion on recumbent tricycles, pro's and con's.*

*For Mature Audiences Only
Old 10-16-22, 11:13 AM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...I took the lane numerous times in my ride through the town, yesterday. No one honked at me. Not one person. It was a good day.

Old 10-16-22, 12:35 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
@3alarmer---they were blinded by the bar tape and couldn't find the horn.

Post #92 is pure artwork, though.

Remember, Rydabent has never actually ridden on a road .... all his miles are on straight, flat bike paths with no other users. In his world everything paved is "bike lane" and leaving it is scary.
Old 10-16-22, 12:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
On a ride earlier this week, I thought about the OP's silly assertion (and others like it) that he could sufficiently judge the condition of the bike lane from the driver's seat of his car. I was on this stretch of road, and there's very good reason to move in to the lane that wouldn't be apparent to 99.99% of the drivers -

I'm betting that people like the OP and rydabent couldn't tell me the reason from this shot or from the driver's seat of their car.
I thought I saw a hole but I expanded the photo in Photoshop an it wasn't ...band I cannot tell if the two bad pavement seems are dangerous, but to cross either of them one would have to be well into the traffic lane ... as for what's further up the road, past the warning sing .... no clue.

But we already knew all this .....
Old 10-16-22, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I thought I saw a hole but I expanded the photo in Photoshop an it wasn't ...band I cannot tell if the two bad pavement seems are dangerous, but to cross either of them one would have to be well into the traffic lane ...
Sorry - forgot to report back to the thread.

The visible seams across the roadway that you mention are actually cracks and they are the issue. The asphalt buckles up at those cracks and those aren't the only two - there are probably a dozen. This is a slight downhill and you'd have to ride your brakes to keep under 25mph. At that speed, those cracks are pretty jarring. Why is going out in to the lane less problematic? Because the vehicular traffic has smooshed down those seams pretty significantly.