Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How fast do you go through your brake pads?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How fast do you go through your brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 09:44 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I get 1500 - 2000 miles out of a set, I seem to wear fronts and rears at about the same rate.
Old 11-08-05, 10:13 PM
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going through break pads way too fast so now when they get low I turn them around. Since I adjust for the toe-in the rear of the pad always has a lot more life left than the front. So i turn it around and use it twice as long. I wouldn't recommend this for the front brake because it seems the break pad flexes more this way and breaking isn't as crisp. But I'm cheap so I'll deal with it.
Old 11-08-05, 10:19 PM
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of pad designs these days are directional for improved water shedding. I'm not sure that I buy it anymore than directional tire tread, though.

Man, I'm really trying hard to understand how you folks run through some many pads. Even my rain bike doesn't go through brake pads that fast... And it's not like I don't brake in the wet, I'm worried that my rim is gonna fail before I get in the parts to build up my new front.
Old 11-08-05, 10:43 PM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trickdog
This is hard to believe....1/4 pad in half hour of commuting in the rain, exactly how may stops do you make and what are you stopping besides you and the bike? So if this all correct, in an hour you would of gone though a complete set of pads...not to mention the extreme wear this would have on the rims.

Please tell what brand of pads you use so I am sure not to buy them...
Koolstop.

This was going across downtown Washington DC during rush hour, in a torrential downpour. In DC, that means water deeper than the bottom bracket in places. I probably used my brakes 30 to 40 times and went up and down some big hills. It was so wet that each time I braked there were a few seconds where the brakes had no effect, then they grabbed once the water had been displaced. It was not a fun ride, but it was memorable.

During the ride I thought that my cable must have stretched or slipped, because I had just changed my pads but I kept getting more and more travel. When I got home I looked at the brakes and realized the pads had worn substantially. My hypothesis is that when you get a layer of water on the braking surface that causes the pad to brake to be ineffectual it also leads to accelerated wear.

Shortly after that ride I switched to disc brakes, which are a better choice in every way for the all-weather, urban commuting that I do.
Old 11-08-05, 11:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostontrevor

Man, I'm really trying hard to understand how you folks run through some many pads
crappy pads? i dunno. my bike is somewhere on the low end of low-end-box-store, and i think mine are done as of tonight after 6 months of ownership and 2 months of commuting - say about 800 miles <--- generous estimate. but i've got a lot of downhill through intersections going on, one way at least. when i started out, i never let go of the brakes riding down the bridge.

i imagine the weight of the bike and rider are also marginal factors, like i guess they would be with tire wear. all other things being equal, stopping x-hundred pounds probably eats some proportion of (x-y) more brake pad per stop than stopping y-hundred pounds.
Old 11-09-05, 12:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Previously, I'd be flying into every intersection at 20-30mph and then jamming on the brakes at the last minute while clicking through 4-5 gears down.

Now I coast more and gently apply the brakes long before I get to the intersection.
you must be getting old...

bk
Old 11-09-05, 12:45 AM
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DCCommuter
My hypothesis is that when you get a layer of water on the braking surface that causes the pad to brake to be ineffectual it also leads to accelerated wear.

Shortly after that ride I switched to disc brakes, which are a better choice in every way for the all-weather, urban commuting that I do.
...hmmm...as wet as Oregon is....maybe I should move to discs....I got some wicked descents along my route as well.
Old 11-09-05, 01:43 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On my avid disc brakes, the front lasts about 4 months and the rear about 6 (projected) based on my new more tranquil more peaceful braking methods.
If I may make a humble suggestion. Try these: https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/111...Brake-Pads.htm

Even if they last the same amount of time as the Avid pads saving the $10 a set should make them worth your while.
Old 11-10-05, 01:11 AM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get KoolStop Salmons.

On my then new touring bike (Dec 2000), I used to go through one or more sets of brake pads (Avid or Shimano) per month during Winter and one per 2-3 months in Summer. With KoolStops, they last one or two years.

P.S. That touring bike saw lots of city riding while towing a trailercycle AND a child trailer.
Old 12-20-05, 12:09 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The soot or amorphous carbon added to the synthetic rubber makes it last a lot longer.
Old 12-20-05, 12:14 AM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pads on my cantilevers are going on 7000 miles and will be replaced soon. Riding mostly on the flats allows the pads to stay cooler and last longer. I have smoked a full set of pads on the brakes of a heavy faired recumbent going down a long steep hill at altitude (less air drag) in a single run. Stopped finally by pushing my shoes against the front wheels of my trike.
Old 12-20-05, 12:46 AM
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've used the salmons. It just must be the girtty conditions and the hills of Oregon that eat up my pads.
Old 12-20-05, 03:25 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oboeguy
I commuted about five months with one pad change and was ready for another. We use brakes a lot in Midtown, NYC.
Mind you we live in NYC so we use brakes a lot more. Out in the open road, you may be lucky to use the brakes just one time as you get to work.
Don't listen to either of these two guys. They lie like a rug. Brake pads are like the ones on your car. They're good for the life of your car or until the metal bolts sheer through the discs/rims completely, whichever comes first.

As for me, I ride in NYC all the time and I haven't changed the pads yet since I got the brakes back in the 1998. I just jam my heel onto the front wheel to save the brake pads for when I really need them.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 12-20-05, 04:40 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ahpook
i dunno, but 2000 miles is too long.
It varies with the ride. On my last commute, my pads lasted about 3 years. But it was all flat without many stoplights or stop signs.

Now, I ride 1/5 of the distance, and my pads are almost done in a year. Of course the whole trip is up and down hills, so I'm doing hard braking at 30+ mph several times a day.
Old 12-20-05, 05:13 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Winter slop chews up brake pads. I went through 2 sets last winter, while 1 set gets me through the entire rest of the year, which is why my new winter bike is sporting disks. Disk brakes seem to be more reliable and last longer in the winter slop than cantis, calipers or V brakes.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-20-05, 06:39 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the link.
I bought 2 pairs of koolstops off ebay for $37 shipping included. How do these compare?

Originally Posted by Raiyn
If I may make a humble suggestion. Try these: https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/111...Brake-Pads.htm

Even if they last the same amount of time as the Avid pads saving the $10 a set should make them worth your while.
Old 12-21-05, 02:12 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
Why are brake pads made out of condensed soot? That's all I wanted to know right now.
I hear ya. I hate the pads that came on my Coda. Every time I ride the bike gets covered in black crap. I'll get around to swapping them,but for now the road conditions are bad enough that I'm commuting on the Giant.

As for pad life,the only time I had a serious prob was when I first started commuting on the Trek. My route almost all downhill going into work and I trashed the front pads in a little over a month. I've since found another route,and my skills have increased,so I'm getting good life out of all my brakes.

The only set of disc pads I've had to change so far have been the fronts on my Giant. They wore in a funny wat that makes me think the brake wasn't set up properly. Swapped the pads and so far so good. Oh,and for any Giant riders out there;Giant GX-2 = Hayes MX-2. Same calipers,same pads,just a designation change for Giant.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-21-05, 03:11 PM
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assuming that we're calling worn out being worn to the bottom of the grooves the separate the "blocks" I've never actually worn out a set of pads. I've put at least 10,000 miles on a couple of sets and changed brakes or bikes before needing to replace the pads. I must not brake much.

SS
Old 12-21-05, 09:19 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've been on the same front pads since I bought my bike 2+ years ago (about 4000 miles). I mainly stop with my fronts. I can still lock up both wheels easily. However, I very rarely use brakes, and never very hard except in very rare emergencies.

I do have new pads on the back, because I built a new wheel for the back when the stock one was breaking tons of spokes, and I got a pair of koolstops when the stock pads didn't really fit the rim properly. However I didn't really need them.

I'm the same way with my car. I have a Ford Taurus, and I finally replaced my original factory pads at 110,000 miles. They didn't really need it, but I had bought the pads at 100,000 miles when I was replacing everything else, and I was just getting sick of checking the pads (I'd been looking at them every 5K since about 60K) and figured I'd just put the damn things on and be done with it.

My ride is miles and miles of just pedalling along, there are only really 2 spots on my ride where I even MIGHT have to stop, and I only generally stop at one of them (the stop SIGN, I time the light so I can coast through).
Old 12-21-05, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modern electric cars use regenerative braking. Switching circuits allows the motor to act like a brake, generates power that can put charge back into the battery. How about trying this with a generator hub? Could some electronic wizard advise us? No battery? In winter you could dump the energy thru resistance heaters in our clothing.
Old 12-21-05, 10:33 PM
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
simple...it depends on how soon i notice i need em. Ive only rode my bike with discs a few times so im not sure how soon i go through disc, but i replaced my v brakes on my old commuter often, simply just to know its done, and i worked on my bike a lot, so i replaced alot of things that really didnt need to be replaced, cause i fixed things before they way they broke, as i see it, so the bike always rode well. For the sake of dates, id say i replaced em evey three weeks, probably way more often then neccessary, but it would suck to be goin down a hill only to find out you brakes have retired themself,...its only a matter of time before your luck runs out.
Old 12-21-05, 11:23 PM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Modern electric cars use regenerative braking. Switching circuits allows the motor to act like a brake, generates power that can put charge back into the battery. How about trying this with a generator hub? Could some electronic wizard advise us? No battery? In winter you could dump the energy thru resistance heaters in our clothing.
I think the problem you would run into is that you need a quite large generator to stop as well as with conventional brakes. Here's the physics for geeks:

According to Forester (who I'll trust on this issue) a conventional front brake can generate about 0.6g of decceleration. Assuming a total mass of 100 kg (220 lbs) that equates to a braking force of roughly 600 Newtons. Assuming a speed of 10m/s (about 22 mph) that equates to a braking power of about 6000 watts. That's peak; average power deccelerating from 10m/s to 0 at .6g would be about 3000 watts.

Either way your talking something substantially bigger than a typical automotive alternator, and about 1000 times bigger than a generator hub. Not what I'd want to carry around.

Electric cars get away with it because they have to carry a big engine around anyway to power the car, and they just reverse it to brake.
Old 05-05-06, 06:10 PM
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went through a set of pads per rain storm when I was working as a bike messenger!