Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'54 Bianchi Campione del Mondo pictures

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'54 Bianchi Campione del Mondo pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Uni. Brev.

Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
Lovely bike!

Either the bike is newer than 1954 or the seatpost is not original. This insomuch as Campagnolo was still not producing seatposts. Likewise the OEM pedals in 1954 were still the alloy "Bianchi" "B" pedals. The OEM cranks were also still the Bianchi branded ones with the three "B"s integrated in the steel chainrings. (Some of the pros did however race using set-ups like yours, or even had the very rare alloy Bianchi chainrings with the three "B" integrated). The saddle is also sporting a newer Brooks logo, likely from the time in which the restoration was being made. The red Universal washers on the brakes are also subsequent to 1954.

I think that all of these features point to your bike perhaps being newer than 1954 and that the componentry might almost all be original. It would be interesting to check the cones and the lock nuts of the hubs, as well as verify the BB axle (they were generally date coded).

Back in the early 50's, in contrast to today, it was quite common to fit the rear skewer on the derailleur side and the front on the non-derailleur side. As the 50's moved on, having both fitted on the non-derailleur side became the norm. I don't believe that I have ever seen a bike back in the day with both skewers on the derailleur side.

PS: I have a catalog from 1953 and am trying to get one from 1954 from a friend in Italy. If he scans it for me, I'll try and post it.
Skewers, red washers caught my eye on this one. In Bianchi study, looking for ANYTHING original.
Anybody know if that lettering on calipers is supposed to be blue on this great example?
Old 02-19-20, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintavelo
Skewers, red washers caught my eye on this one. In Bianchi study, looking for ANYTHING original.
Anybody know if that lettering on calipers is supposed to be blue on this great example?
Just be aware, this is a 7 year old zombie thread, no worries, its a great one.
Old 02-19-20, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by merziac
Just be aware, this is a 7 year old zombie thread, no worries, its a great one.
Hi!
Yes, saw the post date & fig’d what the heck - 1954?
7 yro thread? Scope of preservation & responsibility hopefully only being temporary caretaker of some a these bikes :/
Compile as much authenticity as possible - sure is lack of it.
A friend built a humidity controlled room for his “Pre War” Schwinns
7 yrs is like yesterday - I’m guessing the black was painted in?
Old 02-20-20, 02:27 PM
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
I'm still here but no longer have this bike. If I remember correctly I did the blue in-fill on the brakes. But I have definitely seen this on other Universal brakes and know at least some came from the factory that way.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 02-20-20, 04:14 PM

Blue brakes

Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
I'm still here but no longer have this bike. If I remember correctly I did the blue in-fill on the brakes. But I have definitely seen this on other Universal brakes and know at least some came from the factory that way.
Hi!
Thank you for the note.