Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike mirror: Do you use one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 07:45 AM
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 1,648 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Good luck with that plan.
Do you have a better one other than give up riding roads? I'm open to suggestions
Old 05-25-16, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Mirrors aren't just for seeing danger coming at you, but also for safe navigation on the road, changing lanes, turning, etc.
My neck works fine for that. When I was learning to drive, I was taught to actually look back before changing lanes, and I do the same thing when cycling.
Old 05-25-16, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18481 Post(s)
Liked 15,775 Times in 7,406 Posts
"I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are, in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door to show that you're home"--The Velvet Underground
Old 05-25-16, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Do you have a better one other than give up riding roads? I'm open to suggestions
It's a false sense of security you are getting from the mirror.

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I use my Take A Look eye glass mounted mirror while riding / commuting in the city. Otherwise I do not use one. I know that many people like to snicker at these or those using mirrors because you look like a "Fred." Who cares? Better than some ****** bag hipster riding the wrong way on the street or bike lane with no hands.
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
My neck works fine for that. When I was learning to drive, I was taught to actually look back before changing lanes, and I do the same thing when cycling.
If you have the neck flexibility of an owl, then if that works for you....sure. A mirror takes much less time, doesn't distract/detract from holding your line.
Old 05-25-16, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
If you have the neck flexibility of an owl, then if that works for you....sure. A mirror takes much less time, doesn't distract/detract from holding your line.
Yes, my neck works fine, and I have no problem holding my line. Sorry to hear that you're unable to do the same.
Old 05-25-16, 07:56 AM
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 1,648 Times in 947 Posts
I see your point but I don't feel secure at all. I'm way more vigilant than before which is a good thing

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 05-25-16 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 08:14 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Yes, my neck works fine, and I have no problem holding my line. Sorry to hear that you're unable to do the same.
I used to do like you. Mirror is easier and faster, and in hectic traffic conditions that extra split second required to snap your neck to look behind and back is the difference between seeing a car pulling a lane change or not.
Old 05-25-16, 08:15 AM

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The two safety measures aren't mutually exclusive. You can have a light AND a mirror. Mirrors aren't just for seeing danger coming at you, but also for safe navigation on the road, changing lanes, turning, etc.
I'm very good at turning my head... it's almost like the human neck has evolved to do just that.

Just like with driving your car: DON'T trust your mirror and ALWAYS check your blind-spots. The difference between cars and bicycles is the closing speed of other traffic. Mirrors make more sense on a car/motorcycle/truck, because they help increase awareness of other traffic that is, in relative terms, going roughly the same speeds. I've found that a mirror on a bicycle does not increase my awareness of my surroundings, and I still have to double-check what I see in it, taking time away from my eyes forward.

Instead, my priority is with being seen as much as possible. The mirror doesn't help me to be seen, and in my experience, has only provided a false sense of security.

For the record, I will never advocate against someone getting a mirror, but just want to stress that you shouldn't place too much faith in it.
Old 05-25-16, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I had mirrors (Sprintech bar ends) for a month or two. I found them helpful on the road to see incoming traffic and also to see what's going on in the pack behind me when riding with a group. They were also helpful while racing for the same reason. I wouldn't say it was a 'night and day' difference or anything of the sort, but in some situations they helped and I can't think of a single circumstance in which they were detrimental.

Then I had to take the plugs out to change the bartape and the plugs broke, so I'm back to being mirrorless. No big deal either way.
Old 05-25-16, 08:29 AM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Yes, Third Eye attached to helmet.

And my neck has excellent flexibility too.

In my car, I use both. Same on the bike.
Old 05-25-16, 08:38 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i had a mirror on my first road bike. It took the spot of a bar end plug and was adjustable to get the right angle. It definitely let me know there was a car coming up, but at the same time looking into it didn't give a very good representation of exactly where the car was - I would still have to look behind me. It was fine if it was just to let me know it was all clear, but if there was actually a car it wasn't enough to accurately gauge where it was, how fast it was coming and if I could still make my move to cross lanes. Also, since it was adjustable, it went out of adjustment fairly easy.
In the end, when I sold the bike I decided to just leave the mirror on it and not replace it with anything.
Old 05-25-16, 08:44 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Me too, but you wouldn't do without a rearview mirror either inside or outside your car...would you? It is very helpful to me.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-25-16, 08:49 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Me too, but you wouldn't do without a rearview mirror either inside or outside your car...would you? It is very helpful to me.
We had a Toyota Tercel that only had 1 side view mirror by design.
Old 05-25-16, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mcours2006
This particular topic has been discussed ad nauseum over at the commuting forum. Lots of people swear by them. A few claim they are useless and do nothing but add stress and anxiety seeing cars approaching from behind. Most agree that they do little to prevent getting hit from behind, but they increase your awareness of your surroundings
Nice summary of these perennial mirror threads, @mcours, but IMO, “increased awareness of your surroundings” can anticipate, and “prevent getting hit from behind.”

Frankly, with gratuitous posts like this one, I was going to announce No Más after replying to so many previously, but since I recently posted this one to the thead, ”Close friend hit by pick-up truck,”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
As an experienced year round commuter and road cyclist in Boston for about thirty-years, and a previous cycle-tourist, including a cross country ride, I was hit from behind in 2012 with six weeks in the hospital, three months off work, and five months off the bike….

I frequently post that having a rearview mirror makes for all the confidence, and I look rearwards more then ever to feel safe.

Originally Posted by Jerrys88
Jim - can you expand on this? I ride with a rearview mirror as well, but sometimes wonder, would it really help avoid being hit from behind. I mean, what if I did actually see a car heading right toward me from behind? What could I do at that point?...
Thanks for your reply, @Jerrys88. When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view. In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways.

I once read a comment that one should practice doing "bunny hops" so at least you could jump a curb if present on your right.

Obviously that’s the ultimate use of a mirror, and now I monitor rearwards more frequently. So hopefully being aware of the situation behind, even when not in immediate danger, allows the rider to avoid a dangerous situation, even by pulling off the road. And other than my accident, I’ve never had the need to bail out.

IMO, besides routine monitoring rearwards with the mirror, a most important use is to make quick decisions when encountering an obstacle in front of you, such as a car door, pothole, car entering your path, etc. Can you immediately veer left?

Mirror threads are often popcorn threads, and I’m always dismayed when subscribers blithely write, often directed towards newbies, that you don’t need a mirror and it doesn’t help anyways. Why discourage such a simple piece of equipment? I’ve tried to think of the dangers of a mirror, and the best I’ve come up with is poking your eye with an eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror; or being too distracted by it, for example if you can’t really get used to it.

Personally, I use an eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirror that allows me to maintain a forward-looking head position with just a sideward glance to see the rear. I really don’t want to turn my head for an over shoulder glance away from the line of travel when speeding downhill on a pothole-strewn road with heavy traffic to my left and parked cars to my right. Furthermore, wind noise can sometimes obscure the sound of a passing car.

I find mirrors so easy to use, and so helpful that I wear both right and left.
Originally Posted by Walter S
I don't know how much safer I am with a mirror. One thing I definitely like about a mirror is that I can tell when I can let my guard down. I enjoy getting on nieghborhoods roads, seeing nothing behind me, move more into the lane and cruise…

+10, @WalterS; nicely put. Earlier this thread I wrote what I considered an exhaustive note about the utility of mirrors, but I forgot to mention the freedom they provide as you described.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-16 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 If people see you are looking/signaling to do something, they'll have a better idea of what to expect. You are less likely to surprise each other. Most people don't want to hit cyclists.
Old 05-25-16, 09:43 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
"I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are, in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door to show that you're home"--The Velvet Underground
^You win the internet today!
Old 05-25-16, 09:48 AM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I feel the same way but I had to take it off the helmet and put it on sunglasses, so that I could still be safe when I leave the helmet at home.
We're all just going to let that one slide?

But seriously, if I'm choosing to go helmetless on a ride, it's only because I have a near zero chance of traffic-interaction, which would render a mirror useless.

I do not currently use a mirror. Ask me again in 20 years.
Old 05-25-16, 09:57 AM

What car?

I've lived car-free since 1993.
Old 05-25-16, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Sprintech drop bar mirrors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sprintech.jpg (101.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 05-25-16, 10:06 AM

Nice summary of these perennial mirror threads, @mcours, but IMO, “increased awareness of your surroundings” can anticipate, and “prevent getting hit from behind.”

Frankly, with gratuitous posts like this one, I was going to announce No Más after replying to so many previously, but since I recently posted this one to the thead, ”Close friend hit by pick-up truck,”
I've also been hit by a truck, spent 3 days in a coma, 38 days in the hospital, broke 15 bones, punctured&collapsed a lung, required 3 surgeries to repair intestinal damage, 7 weeks off the bike, and 4 months out of work.

I understand your point of view, but I don't share it.
Old 05-25-16, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't use a mirror. I haven't found it necessary.
Old 05-25-16, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
I use one. It increases my awareness since I am hearing impaired. It's either a mirror or a Garmin Varia, and the mirror is cheaper. Nice to check how my family is doing as I pace for them.

I also find it useful to to monitor wheelsuckers without having to turn my neck.
Old 05-25-16, 12:06 PM

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I've also been hit by a truck, spent 3 days in a coma, 38 days in the hospital, broke 15 bones, punctured&collapsed a lung, required 3 surgeries to repair intestinal damage, 7 weeks off the bike, and 4 months out of work.
Pics or it never happened!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.