Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any last minute Century tips?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any last minute Century tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 10:38 AM
Fred-ish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've developed a strategy for long rides that seem to result in faster times (for me) and easy recovery at the end. I take the first quarter slower than I feel able; the next half at a "normal" pace for me, and the last quarter as fast as I feel like going.

The first part seems to negate the adrenaline rush of the first part of the ride - that "git er done" mentality. Basically I try not to go anaerobic at any time in the first 25 miles.
Old 11-04-10, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll never do another century without some powdered Gatorade, just in case. Did one in late August and the event ran out of Gatorade. With temps in the mid-80's and a blazing sun, cramps hit me around the 85 mile mark and made for a tough finish.
Old 11-04-10, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prep the night before. Don't think you'll do it in the morning because you could get rushed, not a good way to start a long ride. Hydrate the day before, get some carbs for breakfast and keep hydrating and eating carbs the whole ride and afterwards. You can't eat enough during the ride to replace the calories you'll burn so if you can eat, do it. GL and have fun.
Old 11-04-10, 11:08 AM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkadam68
If you need last-minute tips to ride a century, you're doing it wrong. You should have already ridden several longer rides so you already know what to do/not to do.

Botto nailed it: don't do anything you don't already do.

"doing it wrong"... hmmm. I was just looking for any advice others had because this is my first. I've trained for quite a few months and this isnt my first time on a bike....this is my first century and was just looking for overall advice.
Old 11-04-10, 11:10 AM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MPress
I'm doing the Cure on Wheels event too. Only doing the metric century though. Good luck and have fun.
Hope to see ya there... will be riding in a blue jersey with the names of the two I'm riding in honor of.. maybe we'll cross paths.
Old 11-04-10, 11:13 AM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
My advice: Have fun! And look at the course profile before you head out, either via map my ride or ridewithgps.com if the organizers don't have the profile somewhere. Worst thing ever would be to have a mountain 10 miles from the finish and you have no idea about it.
downloaded the route to my garmin when it came out and rode part of the course about 3wks ago...
Old 11-04-10, 01:53 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cramps are just as often about over-use as hydration/electrolytes, if not more often. As Brian said, try and ride through them. Consider these on the bike stretches: https://www.ultracycling.com/training/cramping.html
Old 11-04-10, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a heads up... I was told the route has been tweaked from what's shown online.
Old 11-04-10, 10:28 PM
Mike In PA

Bikes: Ciocc, Coppi, Moser Forma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I just did my first century on 10/3/10 and it felt great accomplishing that goal. I've ridden off and on for 20+ years and never rode a century.
Just use good common sense. Hydrate often, make sure you eat enough during the ride, but don't over do it. Believe it or not that's possible on rides where there are well stocked rest stops. Try not to ride solo. It was great having a partner to ride with. It breaks up the monotony that can sometimes occur and gives you a sense of "team" in that we're actually doing this. Also resist the urge to start out fast. It will be a long ride and it's best to keep your strength.

Me and my buddy rode the "Gap Gallop Century" here in Eastern PA.
We rode 103 miles at 14.8MPH Avg. It took 6Hr. 55Min
Old 11-05-10, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
If this is your first organized ride with hundreds of participants, make sure you capture the moment. I mean before the start, take a look around and just observe the people as they get ready, take a look at their bikes. It's as if you're filming a documentary. Only this time, you're part of the drama.
Old 11-05-10, 08:56 AM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
If this is your first organized ride with hundreds of participants, make sure you capture the moment. I mean before the start, take a look around and just observe the people as they get ready, take a look at their bikes. It's as if you're filming a documentary. Only this time, you're part of the drama.
This will be my first with this large of a crowd. I'm pumped!!! Just need to get some last minute stuff (extra CO2 and tubes) Going to bring my camera to capture the moment!
Old 11-05-10, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 112 miles last Summer with a couple of more "fit" friends. I did no training as I had just purchased my first bike. I was fine until the last 6 miles. I think my mind had begun to tell me that enough was enough. BTW, I'm 37 and am in average shape. The reason I'm telling you this is not to brag - I think I had a couple of built-in advantages - but to put your mind at ease.

Like I said, literally, no training. However, I think one advantage that I had physically was that I had been working at a restaurant for years and believe working 5, 6,7 hours at a fast pace probably built up my leg strength.
Another mistake I mad is that in about mile 40 I got bored and decided to leave my group of friends. I got right under my threshold for about 15 miles because I wanted to get to our designated stop and pretend like I was taking a nap (i.e. my friends were too slow). This was probably not a good idea as I easily could have set myself up for massive cramping.
I did drink quite a bit and I probably overloaded on the goos and what-not.
To give you an idea of how little I knew going into this ride, I didn't even bring a jersey nor did I bring any type of supplement, goo, gatorade, etc... I just figured I was going on a long ride and I'd be fine. Thankfully, my experienced friends set me up for success.
Ironically, going in, the only thing that I was the least bit worried about was my back. I had purchased a bike that was probably too small (52cm) for someone that is 6 feet tall. Somehow, I got through without any back issues.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-05-10, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
What is a normal schedule? I mean, you don't just get on the bike and ride 100 miles without stopping, do you? Do you stop every hour, two hours, 25 miles... How long are your breaks? Do you just relax on breaks, or do you stretch out and pound water? When you eat, do you stop or just pull an energy pack out and suck it down on the go? Just curious.
Old 11-05-10, 10:52 AM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
What is a normal schedule? I mean, you don't just get on the bike and ride 100 miles without stopping, do you? Do you stop every hour, two hours, 25 miles... How long are your breaks? Do you just relax on breaks, or do you stretch out and pound water? When you eat, do you stop or just pull an energy pack out and suck it down on the go? Just curious.
Who are you asking the question to?
Old 11-05-10, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
The way me and a friend did it over the summer on our 3 centuries was to stop briefly once an hour to eat something and we had one of those extend a bit to stretch around 50-75ish. Built into a few of those short stops was getting more water. Some folks are comfortable no hands etc and eat more on the go.. i'd rather relax and take 2 mins
Old 11-05-10, 11:51 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jasandalb
Doing my first century on sunday. Starting to get extra hydration today, an extra 24oz on top of my daily intake. Temps should be in the 50's to start and then reach mid 60's by rides end. ...Planning on bringing a few salt tablets and my normal powerbar chews, along with some pre-portioned gatorade powder. Rest stops on the route every 20 miles.
You're overthinking this. Salt tabs aren't necessary and hydration won't be an issue unless you fail to drink on the day of the ride. If they have rest stops, you don't need to lug much stuff unless you really like your chews or your stomach gets upset easily.

Originally Posted by jasandalb
Have been training with a few people off and on but mainly by myself. they are having a "social hour" thursday night, going to that. ...My goal is 5 1/2 to 6 hours... that'll set my ride pace at 17 avg. I figure if I ride in the 20's (which is normal for me) that my breaks will put me down to 17mph. I plan on stopping at the 20-60-80 mile marks, that should give me a good indication of how I am feeling and make any fluid/nutrition adjustments.
This is going to be a be a lot easier than you think. I don't think it's generally a good idea to set speed goals for first centuries, since most people haven't figured out their pacing.

The single biggest mistake I see newbies make is riding too hard. A lot of them get excited and they ride the first 30 or 40 miles too fast. Another thing many of them (especially guys) do is try to keep up with riders that they shouldn't. Charity rides are typically slow, but there will probably be some strong riders in the mix. If you boost your speed early on to keep up with a woman or older guy who is stronger than you're willing to acknowledge, you'll spend many miles in pain and finish slow to boot.

The other reason not to set speed goals at this point is that weather and other conditions are huge wildcards. A modest wind has a major impact on speed and there are other factors that greatly affect how fast you'll ride.

In short, relax, have fun, and plan your effort, not the numbers on your computer. You'll do great.
Old 11-05-10, 02:46 PM
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the majority of my eating while riding in the form of Gu. My stops are for bathroom breaks and water bottle fill ups. For lunch I will stop to eat at a fast food place or pound down a Clif bar. Otherwise I do not recommend taking extended breaks (more than 5 or 10 minutes). Just be sure to drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry and pace yourself. You will do fine.
Old 11-05-10, 05:34 PM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Fast food? In the middle of a ride? :bleh:

You need something more substantial than Gu when you are riding 5+ hours. Clif bars or something like them are good. Sandwiches, cookies, also good. Don't make your on-bike diet be all-sugar-all-the-time. A Coke 2/3rds of the way through works wonders as well; it doesn't have to be all gatoraid/sports drink.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 11-05-10, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
keep an open mind