Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is a suspension seat post worth it?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 09:05 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Again, I'm new. I really don't know a lot about bikes. Is a suspension seat post worth it? And, is there a great difference between brands? I'm not looking at is as a replacement for a rear suspension. Just something to take the edge off of the small bumps. I'm on a pretty nicely paved bike path for the most part. Thanks!
Old 04-06-16, 09:21 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by admrlawesome
Again, I'm new. I really don't know a lot about bikes. Is a suspension seat post worth it? And, is there a great difference between brands? I'm not looking at is as a replacement for a rear suspension. Just something to take the edge off of the small bumps. I'm on a pretty nicely paved bike path for the most part. Thanks!
IMO, A traditional sprung saddle works better.
Old 04-06-16, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a bad idea. I was looking at those as well. Is there anything I should really look for in that type of seat? Or, is there a particular brand you would recommend?
Old 04-06-16, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will see a fair number of positive reviews for inexpensive suspension posts on Amazon, but long term, they all go bad ... over time the bushings inside wear, and the seat wobbles from side-to-side. So I agree with kickstart, get a sprung saddle instead.
Old 04-06-16, 09:49 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
The Body Float seatpost is the one that works, and I have about 4,000 miles on my road bike version. Plus, it is sprung to your body weight and adjustable.

And, from someone who has owned sprung seats and the Body Float, the Body Float is far better.

By the way, it is not cheap...

https://www.cirruscycles.com

Last edited by Kindaslow; 04-06-16 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-06-16, 10:25 PM

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since nobody has thrown it out - Maybe try a larger set of tires at a lower pressure? How much rattle are you trying to smooth over, say chip-seal or potholes?
Old 04-07-16, 05:25 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Riding single track, rutted, rooty rock gardens? Get a full suspension bike.

Riding on pavement, groomed trails, MUPs, chipseal, or cinder? Get out of the saddle and use the legs as shock absorbers. I like the wider, lower pressure tire suggestion, too.
Old 04-07-16, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My Specialized Expedition came without a suspension seat. The bike is basically a comfort bike -- you ride pretty upright with your weight on your seat. I got a cheap aftermarket suspension seat (it's some kind of bungee cord suspension that can be adjusted by twisting to the desired tension.) That was a few years ago. The bike gets a lot of abuse (I use it as my winter beater) and the suspension still operates like it did the day I got it. I wouldn't want that kind of seat on my touring bike, but it adds significant comfort to the ride on the Expedition. I don't recall the brand or where on the internet I got it. Sorry.
Old 04-07-16, 07:23 AM

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tclune
My Specialized Expedition came without a suspension seat. The bike is basically a comfort bike -- you ride pretty upright with your weight on your seat...
This is a key point. I've never felt the need for suspension seatpost, but my bike with the most upright positioning is my fat bike, and on that I have 4" of rubber at low psi to take the bumps. On my other bikes I'm positioned such that using my knees up out of the saddle for suspension is a very natural thing. The bike I'm presently using as my commuter, a Surly Troll, has a Cambium C15 saddle, and I've found it really absorbs little road and trail irregularities well, even with 1.5" tires at 75 psi. So, as everyone has mentioned, there are many things you can do, but if I were riding upright at 65psi+ I might consider an inexpensive suspension post. I wouldn't actually get one, but I might consider it
Old 04-07-16, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,652 Times in 957 Posts
A few years ago I bought a hybrid with the seat post suspension. I also have a mountain bike without tho it does have front suspension. I can't tell much difference.
Old 04-07-16, 07:52 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I put one on my fat bike, which has FS only. I put on a decent middle of the pricing seat post w suspension and ride quality has improved.
I would recommend one
Old 04-07-16, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time or money on a suspension seat post. I had a Specialized Expedition (my first bike as an adult) and it had one on it. Wider tires running lower pressure, or getting out of the saddle and using your legs is what. I would recommend..and if you feel like you need more, a sprung saddle. Brooks Flyer is a terrific one. It's not cheap, but properly taken care of will last decades and the leather will mold to your posterior, like a good pair of hiking boots mold to your feet.
Old 04-07-16, 08:32 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Worth it to Who? You or Me?

You Pinch every Penny or have money burning a Hole in your pocket?

cane creek thud buster , i have 1 of each , long travel came on my Bike-Friday,

I replaced a zero setback post , A German Airwings that Koga, OEM, selected ..

with the CC ST, which does offer a little set back. both are adjusted for my weight thru elastomer changes..

Most of my other bikes I dont have any , just the long distance tour rigs.

$25.00 seat posts bear no resemblance to those costing $250.00

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-16 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 08:44 AM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every suspension seatpost I've ever come across has wobbled. Whether it's side to side or up and down. Sure, most, if not all, of these were years old, but that's not the point. A wobbling saddle would drive me nuts. I have no idea if they were cheap or expensive ones, as I never bothered looking.

I think a proper saddle and a chamois would do you better.
Old 04-07-16, 08:56 AM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I wouldn't waste my time or money on a suspension seat post. I had a Specialized Expedition (my first bike as an adult) and it had one on it. Wider tires running lower pressure, or getting out of the saddle and using your legs is what I would recommend..
^^^^This^^^^
Old 04-07-16, 09:18 AM

Clearly nobody here has tried the Body Float. Even though it is expensive, it is worth it.
Old 04-07-16, 06:57 PM

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Worth it to Who? You or Me?

cane creek thud buster , i have 1 of each , long travel came on my Bike-Friday,

I replaced a zero setback post , A German Airwings that Koga, OEM, selected ..

with the CC ST, which does offer a little set back. both are adjusted for my weight thru elastomer changes..

Most of my other bikes I dont have any , just the long distance tour rigs.
Good advice. Is it worth it to YOU??

I have a spinal curvature, which makes it impossible to sit on the seat squarely. This means that 70% of my weight is on my left sit bone. For me, definitely worth it.

Agree with Fietsbob, Thudbusters are great. I have two of the long travel posts. Probably overkill for commuting, but I love it. Every little curb cut, bump or expansion joint I ride over, and don't feel, I think to myself "that could have been my a$$!"
Old 04-07-16, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Any suspension you put in the back will reduce your power. Rear suspension on mountain bikes (until you get into expensive stuff but that stuff just locks out the suspension when it's flat and only kicks in when it gets bumpy) kills you power.

The best solution as some people have said is usually better or fatter tires. Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's are built with comfort as their top priority:
Marathon Supreme HS 469 | Schwalbe North America

Above a certain point fatter tires are also going to make you a little slower, but that's where I'd start - generally fatter tires also do a much better job of absorbing bumps than suspension is able to.
Old 04-07-16, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Not worth it. Neither are e-bikes.
Old 04-07-16, 11:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Clearly nobody here has tried the Body Float. Even though it is expensive, it is worth it.
How long do the springs last before they need replacing?
Old 04-08-16, 01:01 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
How long do the springs last before they need replacing?
Springs basically don't wear out unless they're junky. And for $250 those won't be. if that thing fails it will be fatigue. The pivots might wear out but since it's all under compression you'd have a hard time telling. Also, the page says they've been around since 2011 so the answer is probably "at least 5 years"

I'm not sure why it's better than a springer saddle and/or a cheap straight suspension post of the $15-30 variety found on inexpensive comfort bikes.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-08-16, 01:18 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Springs basically don't wear out unless they're junky. And for $250 those won't be. if that thing fails it will be fatigue. The pivots might wear out but since it's all under compression you'd have a hard time telling. Also, the page says they've been around since 2011 so the answer is probably "at least 5 years"

I'm not sure why it's better than a springer saddle and/or a cheap straight suspension post of the $15-30 variety found on inexpensive comfort bikes.
The way they list the springs on the website, it gives me the impression at least, that these springs are effectively consumable items, even if it is years in between replacement.
Old 04-08-16, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

I have had all three over the years. The spring seats are nice, but if your weight does not match the window of those springs, you are likely to get little benefit or bounced off. The less expensive seatposts, in my opinion, felt about the same for me. In both cases, they were very obvious during the ride, yet better than nothing on some bikes. The Body Float is amazing, in that it just disappears under you once the adjusting is done. On my commuter bike it saves my back and butt from those unseen holes and bumps (and, during the winter, my commutes are often in the dark and some things go unseen). On my fully rigid MTB it really saves my back and butt at times, given I am not standing 100% of the time and sometimes things just sneak up when you have been out riding for hours and are tired. In a nutshell, I have two of these on two different types of bikes and they are the best I have ever experienced.
Old 04-08-16, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
The way they list the springs on the website, it gives me the impression at least, that these springs are effectively consumable items, even if it is years in between replacement.
They are small springs tasked with doing a lot of work, so they might fatigue from so many "cycles." I have about 1 year and 4-5k miles on the one. The other is about 6 months and maybe 30 MTB rides of 2-4 hours. And, there are no obvious signs of wear on either of them.
Old 04-08-16, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Any suspension you put in the back will reduce your power. Rear suspension on mountain bikes (until you get into expensive stuff but that stuff just locks out the suspension when it's flat and only kicks in when it gets bumpy) kills you power.
Suspension seatposts shouldn't have any effect on power (just more weight). Pedaling forces wouldn't compress the seat at all (if anything they lift you). Rear frame suspension is different because the downstroke also causes the rear suspension to compress. Even then its clearly possible to have modest suspension without much power impact (Roubaix, Domane, K8-s, etc).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.