Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Gluten Free?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 01:41 PM
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a friend who was on Gluten Free for 5+ years due to advice from the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. He was always using this:

Old 12-10-10, 03:15 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
EDR I’ve found a molecular mechanism that gives credence to your little experiment.
They have found antibodies against a gluten peptide in people who have both CD and UC (which is fairly common) and in people who have UC alone. This immune response damages the tight junctions leading to “leaky gut syndrome” and inflammation.

High frequency of antigliadin antibodies and absence of antireticulin and antiendomysium antibodies in patients with ulcerative colitis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204612

Inflammatory bowel disease and celiac disease: overlaps in the pathology and genetics, and their potential drug targets.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19519468

Associations with tight junction genes PARD3 and MAGI2 in Dutch patients point to a common barrier defect for coeliac disease and ulcerative colitis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17989107
Hey thanks man...I'll look through these tonight once I'm home.

Originally Posted by MDcatV
this GF stuff sounds like too much of a pain in the ass (no pun intended).

and, i've never had a gluten free baked good (of any kind) that was, well, good.
Actually it's been pretty easy so far...once I get the pasta/bread thing (I can live with out the bread) worked out it's really not going to be a big change from my current diet....don't know if it's just in my head or not but I do feel better, especially after breakfast (which has been traditionally cold cereal or a bagel) when I would actually feel kinda weak.

Originally Posted by vladav
EDR, I noticed your peanut butter energy bar recipe. PeanutButter has some strong antibacterial properties within the gut - you might consider substituting Almond butter, Sunflower butter, cashew etc...

best,
and great thread btw
I didn't know that about peanut butter, I was thinking of trying Almond butter just for a little different taste...now I've got even more reason.
Old 12-10-10, 03:42 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Had a friend who was on Gluten Free for 5+ years due to advice from the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. He was always using this:

Atheists may find this a difficult bread to stomach.
Old 12-12-10, 08:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tried the Vans frozen waffles this morning they were pretty good. Even better the local pizza joint has a really good GF pizza crust. This just may have put me over the top.
Old 12-12-10, 07:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Tried the Vans frozen waffles this morning they were pretty good. Even better the local pizza joint has a really good GF pizza crust. This just may have put me over the top.
FWIW, the best GF bread I have had has come from www.samisbakery.com. Try their millet flax bread. Be warned that not all of their breads are GF.
Old 12-12-10, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by esammuli
I usually put steel cut oats in a slow cooker before I go to bed. It's tasty and super convenient in the morning when I'm still half asleep.
This is brilliant. I will be setting it up shortly.
Old 12-19-10, 03:19 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Almond butter energy bars were a massive hit. The over sweetness I had with the peanut butter was gone using the exact same recipe.

1 jar (17oz) of Mara Natha creamy no stir almond butter
1 cup Honey
3 cup Old Fashioned Quaker Oats
2 scoops chocolate flavored whey protein (optional)

In a large sauce pan heat almond butter and honey under low heat until the mixture is stir-able...do not boil just get it kinda runny. Add oats and protein powder stir. Line a 8x8 baking dish with wax paper and spoon mixture into dish with a spatula. Press mixture until even and refrigerate, usually over night. Cut into squares. For on the bike I put each square in aluminum foil for easy removal.
Old 12-19-10, 03:50 PM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That recipe sounds really good--I'm going to try it! Any idea on the calorie count per bar?
Old 12-19-10, 05:01 PM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
I'm hungry.
Old 12-19-10, 06:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
That recipe sounds really good--I'm going to try it! Any idea on the calorie count per bar?
No idea...I guess I could add up the entire mix and divide by x amount of bars.
Old 12-19-10, 08:01 PM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's cool, I can do that too, just thought you might have done it already.
Old 12-19-10, 08:16 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
It's cool, I can do that too, just thought you might have done it already.
I'm not much of a calorie counter really. I only really do that in the first month or so before the season starts to drop that last 2-4lbs. That will start next weekend, but like we talked about in the weight loss thread I don't eat much on the bike. Yesterday was nearly 5 hours (mostly z2 with a stretch of about 20min of real intensity), I had two bottles of glycogen/electrolyte drink and about 5oz of the energy bar and I was fine. I ended the ride with about a 1200 calorie deficit.
Old 12-19-10, 09:30 PM
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
check out the "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type" book. Was popular enough that it should be around local libraries and used book places.
Old 12-20-10, 10:58 AM
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
eh - EDR, I just saw this one.
I was gluten free for two years, and I was fast enough at the time (mostly running), you can do it.
My diet went back to being 'whatever' for about a year, but my girlfriend (of 9 months now) is gf, so I'm back at it.

I'm a baker, so I'm your man for any questions you have about making your own bread/cookies/pizza crust/other stuff with the gluten free flours.
Oatmeal - yes, it is gluten free, but most of them are processed in facilities that also process wheat, so unless the label states "gluten free", it probably is contaminated by the machines.
**Contaminated Suppliments Panic!!**

ahem...
where was I - well, just be careful, and run stuff through this thread whenever you have questions... it looks like there are plenty of people here who have experience with how to get it done.
Old 12-20-10, 11:40 AM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
eh - EDR, I just saw this one.
I was gluten free for two years, and I was fast enough at the time (mostly running), you can do it.
My diet went back to being 'whatever' for about a year, but my girlfriend (of 9 months now) is gf, so I'm back at it.

I'm a baker, so I'm your man for any questions you have about making your own bread/cookies/pizza crust/other stuff with the gluten free flours.
Oatmeal - yes, it is gluten free, but most of them are processed in facilities that also process wheat, so unless the label states "gluten free", it probably is contaminated by the machines.
**Contaminated Suppliments Panic!!**

ahem...
where was I - well, just be careful, and run stuff through this thread whenever you have questions... it looks like there are plenty of people here who have experience with how to get it done.
Hey, did you ever try either of those pizza recipes I gave you?
Old 12-20-10, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almond butter energy bars were a massive hit. The over sweetness I had with the peanut butter was gone using the exact same recipe.

1 cup Honey

In a large sauce pan heat almond butter and honey under low heat until the mixture is stir-able...do not boil just get it kinda runny. Add oats and protein powder stir. Line a 8x8 baking dish with wax paper and spoon mixture into dish with a spatula. Press mixture until even and refrigerate, usually over night. Cut into squares. For on the bike I put each square in aluminum foil for easy removal.
Hmmm, this recipie is relatively high in protein for an on-the-bike snack (AB+oats+protein). Then it hit me - what if the whey was substituted with waxy maise or maltodextrin... I'm no baker so guess experiment is in order...
Old 12-20-10, 02:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vladav
Hmmm, this recipie is relatively high in protein for an on-the-bike snack (AB+oats+protein). Then it hit me - what if the whey was substituted with waxy maise or maltodextrin... I'm no baker so guess experiment is in order...
worth a shot...although I had no digestion issues with this recipe. The original recipe had no protein added, I did that on my own. If I get home before midnight tonight (highly unlikely) I'll add up the calories and protein per bar and post it up.
Old 12-25-10, 02:55 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced 1, 2000 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1 cup Honey

I use the same method for making my bars. I typically add dried fruit and nuts for some texture and will throw in some chocolate chips from time to time.
Old 12-25-10, 03:46 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
If you really want to go gluten free it takes a lot of work because wheat flour is used as a filler in many things, and many foods are cross contaminated during production... this means you have to read labels and besides wheat you have to watch for other added grains that are most likely contaminated.

Oats have to be clearly marked as GLUTEN FREE... Bob's Red Mill provides a wide range of gluten free products including some great tasting oats and my hometown is the base for Kinnikinnick foods which has been specializing in gluten free foods for decades and does supply some US stores. Their bread is excellent and they also make the best pancake and waffle mix I have ever used... my daughters prefer this over anything.

My better half has celiac disease and there is no such thing as mild celiac disease... it just gets progressively worse over time if it is untreated.

She was also lactose intolerant (or thought she was) until she went on a gluten free diet... now she can handle dairy products because her digestive system is working properly and she has far more energy than she has had in years.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/

https://www.kinnikinnick.com/
Old 12-25-10, 03:50 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I also make almond butter power bars with gluten free oats... you can replace 1/3 of the honey with maple syrup to give it a richer and less sweet flavour and toss in some roasted almond slivers (tales 5 minutes in the oven) to add a little more protien and give them a nuttier flavour.

Without any chocolate they work out to 275 calories per bar if you cut them into 1/8th's
Old 12-27-10, 03:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hodgsens Mill pene pasta isn't bad. Made some over the weekend and it was more than edible.
Old 12-31-10, 07:21 AM
Spokey Robinson

Bikes: Merida Scultura 907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rog
Hey, did you ever try either of those pizza recipes I gave you?
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
I'm gluten free for more than a year now (celiac disease). I bake my own bread have found adecent brand of pasta, that's all fine, but I haven't managed to bake a decent pizza. Anyone interested to post the recipes here?

Also on the bike I eat those sesame/honey bars. They have a good amount of carbs and lots of energy, so combined with gels and bananas the keep me going fast for hours.