Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dilemma: Aluminum again, or carbon?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dilemma: Aluminum again, or carbon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 07:12 PM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You better buy the bike soon because when you get the bill for the new roof on the house you're about to buy, it's going to make you very sad. Almost no new roofs provide the stimulation of a new bike and new roof discussion boards, should I buy a asphalt roof or a tile roof, are rarely as fulfilling. YMMV.

Oh, and my vote is for another CAD. Just try to get the old frame replaced under warranty before you jump. It will improve the resale value of your old bike.
Old 01-21-15, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Stopped by my local shop tonight to window shop and was given a spectacular price quote on a Dura-Ace equipped Scott Addict 10. Like, a "you're an idiot for passing on it" type of deal. So on the carbon side, it may have replaced the Tarmac on my list.

Any thoughts on Scott's? Do their bikes have a pretty good track record? Despite there being a big dealer here, I still don't see many/any of them on the road.
Old 01-21-15, 08:57 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Carbon, because you're worth it.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-21-15, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
From the people I know with Scott Addicts, it's a really nice bike. It's underated from all the reviews I've read. If you get a good deal with a DA model, I would grab it.
Old 01-21-15, 09:16 PM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There's nothing magic about carbon. A good-handling, good-riding bike can be made of many materials. It's more about the design; quality; and geometry of the bike, than what it is made of. Personally, I like a stiff bike; but one that doesn't ride like a tractor. Both my Aluminum Klein and CF Venge fulfill those requirements. Dare i say, I think the old aluminum Klein even rides a little better than the late-model CF Venge?

If you like your bike, keep it. If you want something else, then try different bikes until you find what you want. Don't necessarily think that a CF bike will be better or be what you want it to be, just because it is CF.
Old 01-21-15, 09:20 PM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Stopped by my local shop tonight to window shop and was given a spectacular price quote on a Dura-Ace equipped Scott Addict 10. Like, a "you're an idiot for passing on it" type of deal. So on the carbon side, it may have replaced the Tarmac on my list.

Any thoughts on Scott's? Do their bikes have a pretty good track record? Despite there being a big dealer here, I still don't see many/any of them on the road.
They're nice bikes. I'm not sure, but were they having some bottom-bracket issues with them, though?

Why not ride the Scott and see what YOU think of it?
Old 01-21-15, 09:35 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
There is no way that even a Dura Ace group from the UK would cost like a new bike. Ultegra would be way under $1000.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-21-15, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11983 Post(s)
Liked 6,702 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
Carbon, because you're worth it.
He's asplosive?
Old 01-21-15, 11:10 PM

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
But, if you're like me, you'll buy a carbon bike and immediately be disappointed in how much not better it is than aluminum.
Depends what you mean by "not better". If you mean "not any faster" I'd generally agree. My take is, at comparable levels of frame performance and weight, Carbon is more comfortable. Almost everything I own presently is double-butted steel (with older friction-shifting drivetrains). I have been looking at getting something much newer, somewhat lighter, and with a modern index-shifting gearing. After riding several new aluminum bikes in the $900 to $1500 range, as well as some well regarded older ones that I could get for around $500 such as a Cannondale CAAD7 and Specialized Allez M4, And several new Carbon bikes in the $1500-2400 range, as well as some well regarded used ones that I could get for $650-900, I pretty much have concluded that the Aluminum bikes that can match the best Carbon and Steel bikes in responsiveness, quite simply, transmit too much vibration to match the Carbon or Steel bikes for comfort and road feel. If this exercise showed me anything, it was that I won't enjoy an Aluminum bike enough to consider it an upgrade in the overall experience compared to my classic Steel bikes. The better Carbon bikes, OTOH, were lighter and at least as responsive as the best Steel bikes I've ridden - and they were at least as comfortable, maybe even more-so, than the Steel bikes. I very quickly came to the conclusion that if I DO get a modern bike with a modern drivetrain, in order to really appreciate it as an upgrade over my classic Tommasini SLX frame, it would need to be either a Carbon frame, or a state of the art Steel frame with a Carbon fork and Carbon stays (such as a Serotta Colorado III). No doubt if I go the NEW route, Carbon will cost me something on the order of $700-$1200 more than Aluminum for comparable weight and performance and component quality. But I believe that, from a comfort perspective, it will be worth that premium.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 01-21-15 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 11:18 PM

Bikes: No.22 Great Divide Disc Custom Ti

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideBjj
Buy a used titanium frame and build that up. You'll have a bike with a great feel, that should last for a very long time.

I spent months trolling ebay until my patience paid off. I can't see any reason to ride my carbon (2013 Roubaix) bike again, to the point I'm considering selling it and using the money to turn the Ti bike into a monster.
+1
I left carbon for Ti and couldnt be happier
Old 01-22-15, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
There is no way that even a Dura Ace group from the UK would cost like a new bike. Ultegra would be way under $1000.
I checked. Wiggle has them for about $650 right now.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-22-15, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Depends what you mean by "not better". If you mean "not any faster" I'd generally agree. My take is, at comparable levels of frame performance and weight, Carbon is more comfortable.
Double butted spokes and 25mm ires with a high tpi does much more for me to reduce road vibrations than frame material. I just do not like the dead feeling of carbon nor the durability.
Old 01-22-15, 09:14 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have both frame materials. The aluminum bike is from Giant with their top material the SLR frame. My carbon is the SL4 Spec carbon. I run 25 in the rear with the Giant aluminum bike due to a slight increase in buzz. Its there. If I only had funds for one bike or room the carbon is well worth it over the long haul. Make the investment in carbon if you see one bike lasting you forever.
Old 01-22-15, 09:27 AM
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dreww10
...my wife and I will be buying a home and potentially starting a family soon, so this could be the last bike for a long, long time...
I totally know where you're coming from.

You are a smart dude and can read the writing on the wall.

I say, go out with your guns ablazin'.

Buy your dream bike now. Spend whatever is necessary. Cash, credit... Beg, borrow, steal.

Don't worry about the wife... It's always better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

In twenty years, she'll hardly ever think about how you blew your mortgage down payment
Old 01-22-15, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
There's nothing magic about carbon. A good-handling, good-riding bike can be made of many materials. It's more about the design; quality; and geometry of the bike, than what it is made of.
I believed that until I owned an aluminum bike and a carbon bike with the exact same geometry. Difference is night and day to me.
Old 01-22-15, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went from a CAAD11 to an Evo and for my primary bike, ridden daily, I'd have a hard time going back to the CAAD10. After about four hours in the saddle, the ride quality improvement is clear with no downsides. I can't speak for the Tarmac, of course. I rode 8,000 miles last year, so the cost differential is probably worth it.

I could easily dent any tube on the CAAD10 with my thumb, so if you're worried about handlebar smash the Evo is superior because it can be repaired and is almost certainly more durable in that regard. No one is going to repair the CAAD10, so if you are so worried about durability in a crash I'd either go with a lugged carbon bike or Ti, but you're denying yourself liberty by avoiding composites.
Old 01-22-15, 09:48 AM
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
I could easily dent any tube on the CAAD10 with my thumb...
Have you perchance taken part in any gamma-ray experiments lately?

Originally Posted by SirHustlerEsq
...so if you are so worried about durability in a crash...
In a crash with enough force to damage an AI bike, I'd be more concerned about the durability of my body.
Old 01-22-15, 09:55 AM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ultimately, I think everyone needs to find out for themselves, by having the experience of riding different bikes. You can't really even tell on a test ride- you have to live with a bike for a while. That is why I bou8ght my (used) Venge- I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about "good carbon bikes". I had never bought into all the hype; never even pictured myself owning a carbon bike; but I just had to try it. And while I like my CF bike well-enough, I can't say that it offers any advantage in performance or comfort over the old Klein. Ifr I had paid new-bike price for it, I would have been very disappointed. Even at less than half of new-price, I keep thinking that it seems like a lot for something that is no better than an 18 year-old AL bike. But I guess it depends on how good your old bike is; and how curious you are. For me, it was a worthwhile experiment, to satisfy my curiosity and enable me to have 2 good bikes. Best thing about it? The style and looks....and an excuse to get rid of my old Bikesdirect bike.
Old 01-22-15, 10:00 AM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
both
Old 01-22-15, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Ultimately, I think everyone needs to find out for themselves, by having the experience of riding different bikes. You can't really even tell on a test ride- you have to live with a bike for a while. That is why I bou8ght my (used) Venge- I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about "good carbon bikes". I had never bought into all the hype; never even pictured myself owning a carbon bike; but I just had to try it. And while I like my CF bike well-enough, I can't say that it offers any advantage in performance or comfort over the old Klein. Ifr I had paid new-bike price for it, I would have been very disappointed. Even at less than half of new-price, I keep thinking that it seems like a lot for something that is no better than an 18 year-old AL bike. But I guess it depends on how good your old bike is; and how curious you are. For me, it was a worthwhile experiment, to satisfy my curiosity and enable me to have 2 good bikes. Best thing about it? The style and looks....and an excuse to get rid of my old Bikesdirect bike.
Maybe an elite-level racing bike (carbon or otherwise) isn't a great choice for someone that is measuring "comfort" as a prime criteria. Good bikes are rarely a sum of their parts. You just bought into the idea that what some people called a "good carbon bike" would be good for you.

Buy for the ride, not for the show.
Old 01-22-15, 10:13 AM
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Maybe an elite-level racing bike (carbon or otherwise) isn't a great choice for someone that is measuring "comfort" as a prime criteria. Good bikes are rarely a sum of their parts. You just bought into the idea that what some people called a "good carbon bike" would be good for you.

Buy for the ride, not for the show.
Actually, I find the Venge very comfortable; as I do the Klein. My point is just that since the same thing can be achieved with an old AL bike (albeit, a very well-designed, well-made AL bike) it's not the CF material that is doing anything magic; but rather how a bike is designed and constructed. Both bikes are very stiff, and yet ride nicely- even with 23mm tires.
Old 01-22-15, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't sell the bike. You NEED a backup bike. Keep the CAAD and get a second bike that's carbon to keep the CAAD company.
Old 01-22-15, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I believed that until I owned an aluminum bike and a carbon bike with the exact same geometry. Difference is night and day to me.
What matters for a proper comparison is what wheels, tires and air pressure each had.
Old 01-22-15, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
What matters for a proper comparison is what wheels, tires and air pressure each had.
Funny you mention that, I had 32s on my aluminum bike and 25s on the carbon and the carbon is substantially more comfortable.

I've since had to spend more money on the aluminum bike (by adding carbon parts) to make it closer in comfort to the carbon bike.
Old 01-22-15, 10:27 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Going up the same hill on my carbon vs aluminum bike the Carbon transmit more power no question. That alone makes it worth it to me.
Yeah, the comfort part can be solved with High TPI tires, and bigger size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.