Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadside Finds

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadside Finds

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 01:19 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've found at least two dozen sockets, mostly 1/2 and 9/16 over the years. The 2 lb hammer was a bummer getting home because the only way to carry it was to put it down the back side of my shorts. For my best find I was fortunate that it was a hot day and long ride because I took the 50 oz Camelback for extra fluids. I found one of those magnetic base furneral markers they put on cars during the procession to the cemetery. The Camelback has webing on the back side that I put the marker base in. When I was in the drops the purple flag was pointing straight up and flapping in the breeze.
Old 04-09-09, 01:27 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I've found at least two dozen sockets, mostly 1/2 and 9/16 over the years. The 2 lb hammer was a bummer getting home because the only way to carry it was to put it down the back side of my shorts. For my best find I was fortunate that it was a hot day and long ride because I took the 50 oz Camelback for extra fluids. I found one of those magnetic base furneral markers they put on cars during the procession to the cemetery. The Camelback has webing on the back side that I put the marker base in. When I was in the drops the purple flag was pointing straight up and flapping in the breeze.
Well the hammer was an obvious find. Another rider obviously droped it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-09-09, 01:36 PM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two memorable "finds"........well one find and one "Was that really a _________"

The find, was a HS kids wallet....had about $20 in it, his S.S Card, DL, and school ID. Along with 2 condoms. I tracked the kid down...via mom...gave mom the wallet and cheerfully said "Its time to have the talk" as I rode away.

The "Was that really a _____________" was a vibrator. Yup....a large one resting in the gutter.
As I rode by, it took a few seconds to register what it was...then I spent the next 10 minutes wondering how it got there, it wasnt a semi-major intersection....To this day, I still wonder how it got there?
Old 04-09-09, 01:47 PM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
you people haven't found zen if you are noticing things on the road. i ride in a trance like a shaman and occasionally i see spirits by the roadside
Deep shizz, man. Deep shizz.
Old 04-09-09, 01:50 PM
Duckslayer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasandalb
Two memorable "finds"........well one find and one "Was that really a _________"

The find, was a HS kids wallet....had about $20 in it, his S.S Card, DL, and school ID. Along with 2 condoms. I tracked the kid down...via mom...gave mom the wallet and cheerfully said "Its time to have the talk" as I rode away.

The "Was that really a _____________" was a vibrator. Yup....a large one resting in the gutter.
As I rode by, it took a few seconds to register what it was...then I spent the next 10 minutes wondering how it got there, it wasnt a semi-major intersection....To this day, I still wonder how it got there?
My theory is, some BLONDE bought it and didnt notice you have to put the batteries in so she tossed it out the window cause she thought it was broken.......
Old 04-09-09, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found a coldstone giftcard that still had a balance of $12 on it. A cell phone that has been ran over by a car. A abandoned schwinn mountain bike that was missing the handlebars but it looked like someone wedged a stick in their for replacement handlebars. A back tall light. Thats all I can think of now.
Old 04-09-09, 02:20 PM
W.W.DZ.D?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jerk.
Old 04-09-09, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a dead black bear in Louisiana
Old 04-09-09, 02:30 PM
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Jerk.
Was you? But really, I would have removed the condoms and handed it over. If it was the kid that took it, you can give them to him.
Old 04-09-09, 02:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully she had the, "Don't carry your SS card in your wallet" talk.
Old 04-09-09, 02:36 PM
C3 H6 O3 ACID

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratfish
Hopefully she had the, "Don't carry your SS card in your wallet" talk.
That's what I was talking about..........you people are sick if you think otherwise
Old 04-09-09, 02:36 PM
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My riding partner broke down and we found a set of pliers on the road when we stopped. We left them for the next "lucky" person who might have needed them.
Old 04-09-09, 03:43 PM
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man

I found a wallet next to a parked car riding up the side of Diamond Head. There was a little over $55 in cash in it. I called up the guy and he dropped by my office to pick up his wallet. He told me "thanks" but didn't offer me any kind of reward. I was a little bummed, but when I told my wife the story, she said, "Do good things for the sake of doing good things - not because you expect a reward." She's right of course, but a few bucks would have been a nice gesture.
This is non biking but relates to returning an item for someone. On a plane I was on taking off in Jacksonville Florida, someone left a book in the seat pocket and it had the person's mailing address in it (the bookmark). I mailed the book to him and received a nice thank you letter from him. He couldn't believe that his book made it back to him. He said something along the lines of his faith was restored to humanity or something like that.

Sorry no good finds yet from biking....not even a penny after thousands of miles!
Old 04-09-09, 04:15 PM
Lost in translation

Bikes: Cannondale Black Lightning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enjoi07
talk about dirty...smashed turtles? where is PETA!
Busy changing fish from fish to sea kittens. https://www.peta.org/sea_Kittens/about.asp *laughs*

I found a wedding band. Had about 5 karats of diamonds all told. Spiffy little engraving on it that must have been something personal, because when the lady called about it, she said it word for word. About twenty minutes later, her husband called from work, same thing.
Not much other than that.
Old 04-09-09, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooligan77
Busy changing fish from fish to sea kittens. https://www.peta.org/sea_Kittens/about.asp *laughs*

I found a wedding band. Had about 5 karats of diamonds all told. Spiffy little engraving on it that must have been something personal, because when the lady called about it, she said it word for word. About twenty minutes later, her husband called from work, same thing.
Not much other than that.
I gotta admit, those sea kittens are pretty darn cute.
Old 04-09-09, 04:27 PM
slowest!

Bikes: Felt, Atala, Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratfish
I gotta admit, those sea kittens are pretty darn cute.
And tasty.. If only cats were as useful.
Old 04-09-09, 04:48 PM
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is how I like my fish.....

Old 04-09-09, 05:00 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
if you find a half eaten sandwich in the gutter and you are close to bonking, would you eat it?
Old 04-09-09, 05:17 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
if you find a half eaten sandwich in the gutter and you are close to bonking, would you eat it?
is the gutter wet?

my race videos
Old 04-09-09, 05:19 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
is the gutter wet?
raining and the roads have steaming horse manure all over
Old 04-09-09, 05:19 PM

Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This one still pisses me off:

I was 17, out on a training run in the hills about 20 miles east of Sac, and spotted a purse along the road. It had clearly been rifled through but still had ID, so I brought it home, found the lady's # in the phone book, called her and she came and picked it up, very thankfully.

All fine....until three cops knock on the front door. Turns out the lady she had a kid with her that said he saw the guys that took it from her car in the first place, and I looked like one of them. One cop stands on the porch on his radio, two come inside and grill me, basically calling me a liar - like, you just happened to be bicycling out there, for no reason, and we're supposed to believe that? My mom had to hire a friggin' lawyer who pled it down to something that would go off my record as a minor.

....still burns me up.
Old 04-09-09, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a thong on a well-traveled bike route last year. Left that one as a sacrifice to the road gods.
Old 04-09-09, 05:56 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you people haven't found zen if you are noticing things on the road. i ride in a trance like a shaman and occasionally i see spirits by the roadside

So, you also found a tin with a joint in it.

I found $200. Two nice crisp $100 bills. It was on a street where the crappiest house is probably $3 million.
Old 04-09-09, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While MTBing, I found a topless girl sunbathing right next to the trail. Yes, on her back. No, she didn't cover up.

Can I keep her?
Old 04-09-09, 06:14 PM
A Little Bent

Location: Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never find anything while riding...

I am usually hurting to bad to notice...

But when vacationing on Great Guana Cay in the Bahamas my wife found a half decomposed $100 bill floating in the water near High Rocks...

We spent the rest of the day wading in the water looking for more, but did not...

Gave it to the bank but they were not sure if it was real...

They sent it on, somewhere else, maybe the Feds...

About 3 months later my wife had a $100 deposit in her account...

I guess it was real...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.