Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is the Market for 52/36 cranksets?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is the Market for 52/36 cranksets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 03:19 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I simply find that most who claim they are spinning out arent at all spinning out.
I agree that the term "spinning out" has a variety of interpretations, and if the person complaining about spinning out doesn't share your (or my) interpretation of what the term means the argument starts to make no sense.

Personally I find it has more to do with how fast I want to pedal, not how fast I can pedal.
Old 03-25-18, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got my first compact setup on my new bike. I never realized how much I suffered on climbs with a 39-25; I always dealt with it at about 40 rpms up the steepest pitches. With 34-30, I can almost always maintain 80.

My new crank arms are 175, and I've always used 172.5. Initially, I didn't think I could use the 175s, so I picked up another setup with 172.5. I thought it was advertised as a compact, but it's 52/36. As it turns out, I don't really notice the longer arms, but I'm considering a swap of the arms/chain rings (As an added complication, I'm sending the crankset I'm sticking with to Pioneer to get a power meter installed).

My question after all this is whether to go with the compact or mid compact, as i have to commit to get the power meter installed. I live in the Pocono area, so there's a lot of climbing. I just don't know if there's a noticeable difference between the 34 and 36. I'm not concerned about the big ring.
Old 03-25-18, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often wonder if many who are 'spinning out' are really just pedaling quickly.
50x11 at 110rpm is 40mph with 25mm tires.
If that can be sustained on flat road, sure a bigger ring is needed. Few ride that setup for any meaningful sustained period on flat road.

As for downhill, spinning at 120rpm will send you flying down the hill at over 43mph before gravity is taken into account. Seriously- tuck at that point. How many are going 47mph or faster so often they need to swap out the big ring for something larger?

'Spinning out' seems to be a bit of a misnomer on here, if all the road cyclists i see are any representation of riders elsewhere.
Most of us can not maintain 120 rpm that long but with a larger front ring, we can maintain 90 rpm for an extended period of time. I’m sure you understand that “spinning out” is at a different rpm for different individuals.
Old 03-26-18, 06:41 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,047 Posts
Turning 120rpm while barreling downhill is the last thing I want to do. I want the stability of substantial torque on the pedals and the solid feel of connection through the drivetrain. I don’t want to upset by bumps or caught improperly weighted when my tires need traction.

When I lived in Avon, CO, I fitted a 58t to my bike for this reason; my rides were up and down. It wasn’t ideally suited for the valley ride west out 6 to Glenwood Springs, but coming down mountain roads confidently at speeds well north of 50mph made the trade off worthwhile.
Old 03-26-18, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Great feedback, thanks everyone! Seems like the short answer is, easy enough to swap out and sell if I don't like the mid compact.

I prefer climbing to sprinting, and (gasp), I probably freewheel, or even brake, far more than I pedal on the downhill. I may see how I like the 52/36 first. Right now I have a 50/34 paired with a 12-32 cassette (ten speed setup).

For my weight I have decent power, but when the grades in my area go from 10% to 15%, and then up (in some cases even over 20%), I really like not having to pedal at 20 rpm, or fall over :-). With the new 11 speed from Shimano, it looks like I could get the same ratio with a 36-34 combination as with my current 34-32, so I guess there is that to consider as well.

q
Originally Posted by nycphotography
My logic is as follows: I often end up climbing at 40-50 cadence on the toughest climbs. More low gears will get me up those climbs faster and with less destruction to the legs that will impact the rest of the day. If I'm climbing that crap, you can bet I'm descending it too, and I will spin out on the steepest parts of the descent. Not so much that I couldn't pedal, but that it becomes hamsterish, and I don't usually bother. But sometimes I do, and when I do, like to catch onto a draft or to catch someone before a switchback, at which point, sure, I'm hamster spinning briefly. On the 50.

But not pedaling on the steepest descents is much less of a loss of time than being destroyed on the steepest climbs, so I go with the 34/50 rings. I even went 11-32 cassette. WHAT? wtf for? Well in my defense I do hit some 14-18% stuff every year, and the gearing is critical for those rides, and never "a problem" for other rides.

Were I Nibali, hammering downhill at 50+ MPH to make time in a pro race, then yeah, sure, I'd be running a full size crank. But I'd also be climbing at 80 cadence on the 39/28 with my 6w/kg FTP.

TL;DR - If you are strong enough to climb your toughest climbs at a reasonable cadence on the 36, then get the 36/52. If not, then get the 34/50. Simple.
Old 03-26-18, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Turning 120rpm while barreling downhill is the last thing I want to do. I want the stability of substantial torque on the pedals and the solid feel of connection through the drivetrain. I don’t want to upset by bumps or caught improperly weighted when my tires need traction.

When I lived in Avon, CO, I fitted a 58t to my bike for this reason; my rides were up and down. It wasn’t ideally suited for the valley ride west out 6 to Glenwood Springs, but coming down mountain roads confidently at speeds well north of 50mph made the trade off worthwhile.
What was your small ring? Anything I would need a 58t for would probably require a 34t front. How did it shift?
Old 03-26-18, 11:54 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
What was your small ring? Anything I would need a 58t for would probably require a 34t front. How did it shift?
Hmm, I think it was a 39t inner; that was back in '98, so I don't recall that well. Similarly, the shift performance I don't recall well, either, but I think that bike (a red Bridgestone RB2) was 7spd Ultegra (downtube levers, of course).
Old 03-26-18, 07:00 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11031 Post(s)
Liked 7,578 Times in 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by 2018Roubaix
Most of us can not maintain 120 rpm that long but with a larger front ring, we can maintain 90 rpm for an extended period of time. I’m sure you understand that “spinning out” is at a different rpm for different individuals.
Sure, spinning out is subjective.
But still, if anyone says 90rpm in their toughest gear is spinning out, i would quietly think they are misusing the terms and dont understand what spinning out means.
90rpm is simply not spinning out because they could always pedal 100rpm...which is a very commonly achieved rpm.

A simple spin class would help those who think 90rpm is spinning out(meaning they cant pedal faster and make the bike go faster).
Old 03-26-18, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, spinning out is subjective.
But still, if anyone says 90rpm in their toughest gear is spinning out, i would quietly think they are misusing the terms and dont understand what spinning out means.
90rpm is simply not spinning out because they could always pedal 100rpm...which is a very commonly achieved rpm.

A simple spin class would help those who think 90rpm is spinning out(meaning they cant pedal faster and make the bike go faster).
Guess we cannot all pedal at 9000 rpm like you...

Last edited by 2018Roubaix; 03-27-18 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 10:11 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11031 Post(s)
Liked 7,578 Times in 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by 2018Roubaix
Guess we cannot all pedal at 9000 rpm like you...
I haven't claimed that. Havent suggested it. Nothing i posted should even make you think this.

I help teens learn and train to ride across our state and they put over 1500mi on bikes each summer on this activity alone. Point is, i come to the opinion i have because i see claims of spinning out a lot each year.

Your example of being able to ride 90rpm with a larger ring than 120rpm isnt an example of spinning out.
Again, this isnt me suggesting i can ride better than you or anyone else. I probably cant ride 'better'. I just disagree with what many think is spinning out.

I liked your pre-edited post better.