Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stranded with a flat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stranded with a flat

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 06:29 PM

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Pretty sure the AAA benefit is only to move you and your bike (10 miles free), not flat repair. Doesn't include tandems.
Likes For ralphs:
Old 10-19-22, 06:49 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 697 Posts
To answer the OP, the more you carry the more mishaps you are prepared for, but stuff happens. Before I went tubeless, I carried 2 tubes, 1 patch kit, 2 CO2 cartridges, and 1 mini pump. The tubes and cartridges were to get me rolling quickly even if I punctured both tires with the same obstruction. The rest was so that I could get myself home if more than 2 flats happened (which did sometimes). I've had pumps fail, tubes fail, and CO2 inflators fail. So, I carry my phone as well.
Old 10-19-22, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
Ahhh, another use I've found handy for my wife and bike rack.
I initially misread, I thought you said another use for your wife’s rack.
Old 10-19-22, 07:18 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26442 Post(s)
Liked 10,406 Times in 7,225 Posts
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 10-19-22, 07:37 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,314 Times in 1,120 Posts
Road riding out in the sticks, I carry a tube, patch kit, inflator, frame pump and tire levers. The neighborhood, in town or the MUP on a vintage bike, I don't give a crap. Worst that can happen is I sit and drink coffee until my wife gets there.

Old 10-19-22, 08:35 PM

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 948 Posts
If I am going to be on closed roads and rescues will be impossible and phone reception is null, I will carry a spare tire and use SPD pedals/cleats.
There are some mountain roads in SoCal where you have to be prepared for a possible long hike down a mountain.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-19-22, 09:36 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked 5,691 Times in 2,938 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
If I am going to be on closed roads and rescues will be impossible and phone reception is null, I will carry a spare tire and use SPD pedals/cleats.
There are some mountain roads in SoCal where you have to be prepared for a possible long hike down a mountain.
and big cats.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-20-22, 02:04 AM
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I posed a question with that idea and didn't get a definitive answer because none of the responders had tried it. How well does that work? I figured if sealant instantly plugs a hole in tubeless tires, would it work for tubulars as well? I love the ride quality of tubulars, and they don't sound like any more of a pain to replace than tubeless.
Seems to work fine.

I put some Vittoria Rubino 28mm on and got a flat after 93 miles: 1.5mm glass shard in front tyre.
Did some research and put some Orange Seal in it, spun the wheel, and put some air in.
A few drops spurted out of the hole, but it sealed after about 2 secs.

I've done about 900 miles since then and haven't had any pressure drops, so either it's working very well
or it's had nothing to do.
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 10-20-22, 08:48 AM
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Seems to work fine.

I put some Vittoria Rubino 28mm on and got a flat after 93 miles: 1.5mm glass shard in front tyre.
Did some research and put some Orange Seal in it, spun the wheel, and put some air in.
A few drops spurted out of the hole, but it sealed after about 2 secs.

I've done about 900 miles since then and haven't had any pressure drops, so either it's working very well
or it's had nothing to do.
I didn't know Rubinos came in a tubular version. Wonder if they ride similarly to the old CX and CG I used to race on. I'm kind of committed to tubeless for now with the new wheels, but will keep this in mind in the future.
Old 10-20-22, 08:58 AM
Wheelman

I didn't know Rubinos came in a tubular version. Wonder if they ride similarly to the old CX and CG I used to race on. I'm kind of committed to tubeless for now with the new wheels, but will keep this in mind in the future.
I had a look around about 9 months back and Rubino seems like a decent reasonably priced tyre, I like them anyway.
Definitely better than the Tufo S33 Pro I tried when I first got tubular rims.

Vittoria seem to do Rubino in all configurations: https://www.vittoria.com/ww/en/tyres...res/rubino-pro
And they're fairly cheap in the UK: Ł35 https://www.merlincycles.com/vittori...0c-140868.html
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 10-20-22, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,675 Times in 7,369 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
and big cats.
My cat weighs 20 lbs.
Old 10-20-22, 11:46 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked 5,691 Times in 2,938 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
Pretty sure the AAA benefit is only to move you and your bike (10 miles free), not flat repair. Doesn't include tandems.
No flat repair?! Will they put on my spare? Where have the service industries gone these days?!

Old 10-20-22, 11:54 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I carry two tubes when I ride but that’s because all 3 bikes I ride (2 singles and a tandem) have 20”/406 F and 26”/559 R wheels. Emergency kit includes a Road Morph pump and self-adhesive patches. Very few flats due to good luck and tires with anti-puncture features. Did suffer a pinch flat with sidewall damage a few months ago - wasn’t paying attention and hit a nasty spot of concrete road surface decay that I knew about in a nearby neighborhood.
Not expecting spouse’s e-assist Trek to flat since putting new tires on it - Schwalbe Marathon e-Plus which seem way over the top.
Old 10-20-22, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 982 Posts
I posed a question with that idea and didn't get a definitive answer because none of the responders had tried it. How well does that work? I figured if sealant instantly plugs a hole in tubeless tires, would it work for tubulars as well? I love the ride quality of tubulars, and they don't sound like any more of a pain to replace than tubeless.
For the most part, tubular tires are not tubeless. Tufo does make tubeless tubular tires and with those sealant would work as well as in road tubeless tires.
Old 10-20-22, 12:19 PM
Over the hill

Originally Posted by alcjphil
For the most part, tubular tires are not tubeless. Tufo does make tubeless tubular tires and with those sealant would work as well as in road tubeless tires.
Yes, which was why I had asked that question before proceeding... because I wasn't sure if sealant would seal up punctures in the (usually latex) tubes very well. That makes sense that the Tufos would seal up more like tubeless, although I never liked the ride quality of those. The Rubinos Aardwolf mentioned don't say which type of tube they use (the description is obviously recycled from their clincher tire, mentioning a folding bead), but I suspect they use butyl at that price point.
Old 10-20-22, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I run Tubolito X Gravel TPU tubes and while they are thicker than normal TPU tubes they are very flat resistant.. I carry one extra tube in my saddle bag along with a patch kit. I also carry tire levers, one Co2 cartridge and have a small frame pump..

I assume Lyft or Uber (never used either) might pick you up if you put in the notes section (if they have one) that you have a bike that also needs to be transported.. I say if you think you might need their service to contact either company and ask if that's something they'd even do..
Old 10-20-22, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 982 Posts
Yes, which was why I had asked that question before proceeding... because I wasn't sure if sealant would seal up punctures in the (usually latex) tubes very well. That makes sense that the Tufos would seal up more like tubeless, although I never liked the ride quality of those. The Rubinos Aardwolf mentioned don't say which type of tube they use (the description is obviously recycled from their clincher tire, mentioning a folding bead), but I suspect they use butyl at that price point.
I get it. The difference between inner tubes sealing and tubeless/tubeless tubular tires sealing well, especially at high road pressures lies in the interface between the layer where the high pressure and ambient air air pressure happens. With a conventional inner tube, you have a very stretchy inner layer that is apart from the tire layer. So, if the inner tube is punctured, sealant has to repair a sketchy hole. If on the other hand, the air impervious layer of the inside of the tire is punctured, the air has to escape though a hole bounded by a very non stretchy hole. I mean, if that hole is big enough all bets are off, but the difference between a stretchy inner tube and a non stretchy tire carcass cannot be ignored
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-21-22, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I have often wondered what it means when a manufacturer states: "tubeless ready"
Old 10-21-22, 05:03 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
From my years living in Arizona I still carry two tubes AND a Rema patch kit and a Park self-sticky tire patch in my seat bag. I've not had more than two flats on a ride but I knew plenty of people in AZ that more than two. Two tubes is pretty standard out there. I'm back in North Carolina now but I still carry that kit in my bag.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 10-21-22, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Chuck bike in woods, come back later with car.
Old 10-21-22, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,675 Times in 7,369 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Chuck bike in woods, come back later with car.
Fill in the gap.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-21-22, 09:44 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 1,054 Posts
- Do you carry more than 1 spare tube? - Carry no tube
- Do you carry a patch kit? - Yes with Vulcanizing Cement and Super Glue
- Will Uber pick up you and the bike? - Yes but, $$$$$$$
Old 10-23-22, 12:24 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
AAA benefit is not in every state. Yes, it's only transportation and not flat repair. Mileage may vary by state and/or AAA level of coverage you have.
Old 10-23-22, 05:03 AM
Wheelman

Here's the research I looked at when I picked Orange Seal to put in my tubular tyres:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...rt_1_4147.html
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...rt_2_4155.html
He tested road clinchers with tubes (both latex and butyl).

It's a good read.
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 10-23-22, 10:26 AM
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Here's the research I looked at when I picked Orange Seal to put in my tubular tyres:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...rt_1_4147.html
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...rt_2_4155.html
He tested road clinchers with tubes (both latex and butyl).

It's a good read.
Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for about a year ago. I'm committed to tubeless for a while now, but I'll keep this in mind for the future. Still enjoy riding tubulars most, and the only thing that kept me from riding them daily was the PIA to fix a flat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.