Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Bikes...why the lack of love??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant Bikes...why the lack of love??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fetzer
I have been reading BF for some time and have noticed that Giant bikes get very little attention. Why is this? The bikes are very well rated (Bicycling magazine reviewed the TCR composite and Defy very well for 2011), offer a good value and have a lifetime warranty.
Is it simply because they lack "bling" and "boutique status"?
Yes
Old 10-20-11, 09:08 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarryJo
It was actually a yes or no question.
Ah, of course. My mistake. My answer is maybe.
Old 10-20-11, 09:20 PM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by fetzer
Is it simply because they lack "bling" and "boutique status"?
Yes.

My wife has an aluminum TCR that she loves. She gets a lot of complements when out and about on it.

Old 10-20-11, 09:27 PM

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant makes very very good bikes, both mountain and road. Considering their carbon expertise, I would be surprised to hear that any of the new bikes is lacking in performance
Old 10-20-11, 09:38 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Giant bikes are hard to get onto and off of.

Old 10-20-11, 09:40 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've put about 4000 miles on a Giant OCR1 between the 7000 miles of tandem riding this past 2-3 years. The bike offers very good value and is probably an excellent first road bike, but it's stiff and I'm dreading this Saturday's century, the first 100 miles on a single since we took up riding 3 years ago as senior citizens (we've ridden centuries on the tandem). This comfort thing is, of course, very personal and the single doesn't really fit me as well as my tandem.
Old 10-20-11, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
recently purchased Giant Defy advanced its my first road bike love it so far
all bontrager components, added puncture resistant tires after about 6
flats in the first 180 miles of riding.
Old 10-20-11, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by justkeepedaling
Giant makes very very good bikes, both mountain and road. Considering their carbon expertise, I would be surprised to hear that any of the new bikes is lacking in performance
I have been a cyclist for a while. In my view, Giant bikes are good, but like a lot of other manufacturers (US and overseas) I won't name, their bikes just don't push my button. I really think bike design can benefit tremendously from designers that are as talented as Jony Ive, the head industrial design guy at Apple. It does not matter how good a bike is, for me, the "looks" has to push my buttons, then I'll test-ride to see how it rides. In my view, nothing spectacular is happening looks-wise with Giant bikes. And I put T*** and Sp********* in the same boat.

If the bike is "ugly" or "ho-hum" looks wise, then I'll be damned if I am gonna straddle it to find out how it rides.

Human beings are very visual and tactile animals, thus the looks thing. Think of courtship/dating. You have to like the looks before approach, even if the object of your desire has the manners/goodness of a Mother Teresa.

YMMV.
Old 10-20-11, 11:24 PM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
So far I love my Defy 1. What caught my eye was the beautiful paint, the tasteful badging, and the smooth welding. I've had guys ask if this is a carbon frame.

Old 10-20-11, 11:29 PM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
I have been a cyclist for a while. In my view, Giant bikes are good, but like a lot of other manufacturers (US and overseas) I won't name, their bikes just don't push my button. I really think bike design can benefit tremendously from designers that are as talented as Jony Ive, the head industrial design guy at Apple. It does not matter how good a bike is, for me, the "looks" has to push my buttons, then I'll test-ride to see how it rides. In my view, nothing spectacular is happening looks-wise with Giant bikes. And I put T*** and Sp********* in the same boat.

If the bike is "ugly" or "ho-hum" looks wise, then I'll be damned if I am gonna straddle it to find out how it rides.

Human beings are very visual and tactile animals, thus the looks thing. Think of courtship/dating. You have to like the looks before approach, even if the object of your desire has the manners/goodness of a Mother Teresa.

YMMV.
Different strokes. I actually really like the look of Giant bikes, particularly the Defy frame. They look different. Plus you don't see them on every street corner like you do some brands.
Old 10-20-11, 11:31 PM

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally think the bikes are hideous. They pretty much have the most sloping top tube design in the industry. Their bikes look like bmx bikes with huge wheels. They also have a poor marketing and sales strategy, which is why you never see them around. They don't care though considering they are the manufacturing superpower of the carbon fiber bike industry and make their money one way or another.
Old 10-21-11, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Taiwan is not China. China would love to get a hold of Taiwan, as it did Hong Kong. But the Taiwanese are a very proud and industrious bunch of people who defend their island's independence vehemently.
Old 10-21-11, 12:44 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
I personally think the bikes are hideous. They pretty much have the most sloping top tube design in the industry. Their bikes look like bmx bikes with huge wheels. They also have a poor marketing and sales strategy, which is why you never see them around. They don't care though considering they are the manufacturing superpower of the carbon fiber bike industry and make their money one way or another.
They got Horiz. TTs on their Tri/TT line. Still not pretty tho.

Old 10-21-11, 12:56 AM

Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
They got Horiz. TTs on their Tri/TT line. Still not pretty tho.

Not 100% on topic, but:

I can't even imagine being comfortable that low down. Obviously not set up for me, but that's a hell of a bar drop.
Old 10-21-11, 12:58 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe the UK market is different, but I see plenty of Giant bikes around and my fairly small LBS carries a pretty comprehensive range, from kids bikes through commuters to Defy advanced and TCR advanced. I have a TCR advanced myself. It's a very good bike, better in my view than the Cervelo I test-rode at the same time. Personally I like its looks, but that isn't a defining issue for me.

I think the reason they aren't more popular is simple snobbery. Some people would never buy a Ford even if it were conclusively proved that the Ford was a better car than the BMW. What matters to them is the badge, not the mechanicals. And if the badge costs more, that's all to the good because it reinforces their image of themselves. Same applies with bikes, lots of people are more interested in being seen on them than in actually riding them.
Old 10-21-11, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Taiwan is not China. China would love to get a hold of Taiwan, as it did Hong Kong. But the Taiwanese are a very proud and industrious bunch of people who defend their island's independence vehemently.
True.

It's gonna be someday, though. I say in another 30years or so.
Old 10-21-11, 02:54 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"Giant" sounds like "******bag" somehow.
Old 10-21-11, 02:56 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinHorne
I can't even imagine being comfortable that low down. Obviously not set up for me, but that's a hell of a bar drop.
... and that is why we are TT racers and you are not
Old 10-21-11, 03:16 AM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
... and that is why we are TT racers and you are not
Its no beach cruiser.
Old 10-21-11, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Maybe the UK market is different, but I see plenty of Giant bikes around and my fairly small LBS carries a pretty comprehensive range, from kids bikes through commuters to Defy advanced and TCR advanced. I have a TCR advanced myself. It's a very good bike, better in my view than the Cervelo I test-rode at the same time. Personally I like its looks, but that isn't a defining issue for me.

I think the reason they aren't more popular is simple snobbery. Some people would never buy a Ford even if it were conclusively proved that the Ford was a better car than the BMW. What matters to them is the badge, not the mechanicals. And if the badge costs more, that's all to the good because it reinforces their image of themselves. Same applies with bikes, lots of people are more interested in being seen on them than in actually riding them.
Funny you should use that analogy. Top Gear, IIRC, decided that a certain Ford Focus hotrod was as good a car as much more expensive equivalents from prestigious European marques.

Giant is a very popular brand across the board here in Australia. I'm not sure, but I think Giant also led the way with compact frame design.
Old 10-21-11, 03:38 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
They don't know how to do carbon.
That's hilarious because you absolutely cannot be serious.
Old 10-21-11, 03:50 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
Let me help you with a little something here...Giant is the largest bike manufacturer on the planet. I work in the #1 shop in the nation for Giant sales (so we are talking millions here). They have depth in carbon with three frames in both the TCR and Defy lines. In the Defy, in the composite frame they are offering a bike for $2,200 with Ultegra. They make a high mod in both TCR and now the Defy. Don't like ISP's, you can still get the TCR high mod without one.

There are two types of riders. One, the ones I know, understand performance and can ride different bikes and tell what the engineers had in mind. Two, the ones that go strictly for looks because they would not have a clue so they go for a cool looking bike. High performance bikes are generally not for them.

Giant's line, in aluminum is really nice considering they are building a $1,300 bike on the same frame as the mid $600 bike. Trek, for example switches frames. For the price buyer, you are getting a much nicer frame which was redesigned again for 2012. Cannondale does not offer much at that price point, only the CAAD8.

This thread is like being in a bike shop. What's totally hilarious is that a company can be this large and people can say their marketing sucks. Marketing is for people that like bright shiny things and know no better.

BTW...Giant makes every tube, be it carbon or aluminum or cro moly (kids bikes and the entry Cypress hybrid) themselves from scratch. Every metal tube extrusion, every sheet of prepeg. They have total control of everything. If I didn't have a manufacturing relationship, Giant TCR Advanced SL would be my frame of choice.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-21-11 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-21-11, 03:53 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinHorne
Not 100% on topic, but:

Good lord...that's the full seat post. You cut it for the rider. The same seat post shows up in different sizes. We have test ride seat posts to use so riders can get on them.

We had one of those last year. Giant released six to shops in the US and since we are the largest dealer in the US we obviously got one. It takes about a month to manufacture that frame. Three stems come with it to assist with fit.

BTW...we sold the one we had without a problem.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-21-11 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-21-11, 03:57 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54

Well said, and they are easy to ferret out in this forum. If people are going to criticise a manufacturer, at least have the decency of having some clue what you are talking about.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-21-11 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-21-11, 04:07 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3v1lD4v3
Giant has positioned itself as the cost leader, which makes them attractive for low volume shops. The problem becomes one of stock. Low volume shops don't get the higher end bikes. They cater to townie and commuter riders. If you want to ride a high end bike, you go to a high volume shop, which will frequently have Trek or Specialized. Some shops will double up with Cannondale and Giant. Why go questing for a high end bike when other models are so readily available?
Low volume shops have limited resources with which to carrry high end bikes. See, they have to buy the bikes from the manufacturer, and since we are all in the busines of SELLING bikes, not carrying them in a window like a museum piece, the shops that move product, well duh, get product. That's why, for example where I am we don't get Trek stuff first because Trek is our third brand and they take care of Trek only shops first.

Sheesh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.