Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 01:00 PM
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Whichever frame you choose, it would be an experiment, learn from it and keep in mind of all the consideration that made you choose specific frame.

For me, to fully take advantage of carbon fiber as a frame material, aero frame is likely the better choice, since majority of our power output on the bike will be overcoming the air resistance once above certain speed.
Aero road frame like Cervelo C5 that allows significant power saving over round tubed road frame are the ones that take advantage of the carbon fiber for frame material.
Old 12-10-18, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi to all,
I'm happy to introduce you my new chinese bike, it's a Fasterway Classic frame, with Ican FL40 wheelset, yesterday I rode the bike for the first time, I'm so happy, the frame is more reactive and more comfortable than my Fondriest R20, the direct mount are an advantage not trascurable .

Frame:
Fasterway Classic(seatpost included)
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/2018-taiwan-marca-FASTERWAY-classic-sliver-grigio-con-il-nero-super-leggero-telaio-della-bici-del/32843352126.html?spm=a2g0y.search0104.3.9.c066485bqo5Uij&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_1 0065_10068_319_317_10696_10084_453_454_10083_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_538_537_10302_536_10843_1 0059_10884_10887_100031_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=1b6cdb5e-6545-4201-ba0d-f5a080291382&algo_expid=1b6cdb5e-6545-4201-ba0d-f5a080291382-1

Wheelset:
Ican FL40 No Logo
https://it.icancycling.com/collecti....ay-spoke-1400g

Groupset:
Ultegra R8000 (direct mount brakes)

Handlebar:
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/free....39ff4c4dJVIi8g

Stem:
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/Bicy....39ff4c4dJVIi8g

Bottlecages:
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/FCFB....39ff4c4dJVIi8g

Saddle:
Selle Italia Superflow lL3

Pedals:
Time X-Pro10

speed cadence sensor:
Sigma R2Duo

Smartphone Mount:
DIY

Weight 7,0kg (without bottles and smartphone)

Last edited by Rone69; 12-10-18 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 06:36 AM
Ride more, eat less

Easier just post pictures of your bike, most links you've posted do not work.
Old 12-10-18, 02:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Easier just post pictures of your bike, most links you've posted do not work.
I've edited the post and changed the links, now how does it works?

Last edited by Rone69; 12-10-18 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 07:44 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rone69
I've edited the post and changed the links, now how does it works?
pics show up. The bike is great, but the background is amazing. Where is that?
Old 12-11-18, 12:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
pics show up. The bike is great, but the background is amazing. Where is that?
Italy, the hills around Brisighella

Monticino - Caibane
Old 12-11-18, 08:11 AM
Ride more, eat less

Bike looks very nice, does it suit your riding style?

I can imagine lots of hills and descents in your area, does the dual mount brakes offer any better performance than dual pivot brakes?

How does the frame perform during out-of-saddle & in-saddle climbing in the hills in your area?

Below links still not working:
Old 12-11-18, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Are there any other colors beside black?
Old 12-11-18, 09:34 AM
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Are there any other colors beside black?
Usual choice of glossy or matte black, other than that, not likely.

These Chinese carbon frame manufactures likely fabricate large quantity of carbon frames for different name-brand manufactures; who want their own paint/decals applied to the frames.

Direct sales to customer usually are frames with zero or minimal decals and no paint, and only subtle differences in frame structure compared to the name-brand models.
Old 12-11-18, 11:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike looks very nice, does it suit your riding style?

I can imagine lots of hills and descents in your area, does the dual mount brakes offer any better performance than dual pivot brakes?

How does the frame perform during out-of-saddle & in-saddle climbing in the hills in your area?

Below links still not working:
Try this links
frame
handlebar
Stem
bottlecages

all the item are carbon UD finish, except the stem (black matte)

Yes here there is a lot of hills, not like Alpi or Pirenei, but this is the land of Pantani, and there is many climbs for our legs ....
I think that many people understimate the value of the direct moout brakes, they improve significantly the brake performace, I ride my new bike with Ultregra BR8010 and my old bike with Ultegra BR8000, same wheelset and same brake pads and the difference between the two brakes sistem is real.
The frame is very very confortable, filtering very the road imperfection, but it's stiff, I'm heavy (too much) and I don't feel any flexion by the frame.
Old 12-12-18, 09:07 AM
Ride more, eat less

I have ridden bikes with direct mount calipers, personally I try to use the brakes as little as possible, because brakes only slow you down.
I probably don't weigh enough to feel the difference between direct mount vs dual caliper brakes.
Disc brakes are also overkill for me, but I do have disc brakes on my gravel bike, maybe eventually road bike, too.
Bike looks very nice.
Old 12-13-18, 12:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden bikes with direct mount calipers, personally I try to use the brakes as little as possible, because brakes only slow you down.
I probably don't weigh enough to feel the difference between direct mount vs dual caliper brakes.
Disc brakes are also overkill for me, but I do have disc brakes on my gravel bike, maybe eventually road bike, too.
Bike looks very nice.
Thank you very much.
Old 12-15-18, 10:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today 2nd ride with the new bike, I can confirm all I've writed and I can add that this frame have a good descending quality.

First snow of 18/19 winter

0 Links
Old 12-15-18, 01:17 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Nice shots, nice bike. Looks like a Canyon clone, maybe? Those spindly seat stays are probably great at muting bumps from the rear end.
Old 12-17-18, 06:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Nice shots, nice bike. Looks like a Canyon clone, maybe? Those spindly seat stays are probably great at muting bumps from the rear end.
I think it's a closed mould, not a XX clone , maybe there some similarity with BMC Teammachine and yes, this frame is very comfortable, but also responsive.
Old 12-17-18, 11:37 AM
Ride more, eat less

Not only these Chinese carbon frame manufactures cannot put name-brand decals on the consumer-direct-sales frames; but also there are subtle differences with the name-brand frames. Whether these differences produce significant performance or durability gaps is still very difficult to tell, I don't know of anyone has provided significant testing side-by-side of a budget Chinese carbon frame vs name-brand carbon frame of very similar model.

Personally, after decades of building and servicing carbon bikes from name-brand manufactures and building 4 Chinese carbon bikes from framesets in the last 20 months; I can say that there are still noticeable differences between the name-brand and Chinese carbon frames. Especially when it comes to tolerance differences and surface finish details. I usually overlook these details, because I don't expect the same amount of detail/finish with the budget pricing of Chinese Carbon frames. I consider them disposable like a plastic water bottle when I encounter frame failure.

I don't expect the Chinese carbon frames to perform at the highest level, constant sprinting at max rider effort, descends at high speeds, or high speeds over the pave, out in the elements at extreme temperatures day-in and day-out, etc..

At the level of casual cyclist, these frames perform just fine for weekly club rides, few out-of-saddle sprints/climbs here and there, run over a few potholes, etc..
Knowing your expectation of what you may do with these frames, what type of riding will you be doing and more importantly how well you know your equipment under high stress usage, these are keys to purchasing low-cost carbon frame from any manufacture.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much risk you take with your ride.
If you are running over potholes on every ride and in need of super tough wheels, these Chinese carbon frames may not be right for you.
Old 12-17-18, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Rone69
I think it's a closed mould, not a XX clone , maybe there some similarity with BMC Teammachine and yes, this frame is very comfortable, but also responsive.
Sorry, I didn't post clearly.

I don't think it would be made from an old mold----just deigned with the same specs as the BMC. I have a R5 "clone" which I assume came from a bespoke mold---not from a stolen Cervelo mold.
Personally, after decades of building and servicing carbon bikes from name-brand manufactures and building 4 Chinese carbon bikes from framesets in the last 20 months; I can say that there are still noticeable differences between the name-brand and Chinese carbon frames. Especially when it comes to tolerance differences and surface finish details.
it depends where you buy them, perhaps. I have a pair and found no issues in any respect.

I don't expect the Chinese carbon frames to perform at the highest level, constant sprinting at max rider effort, descends at high speeds, or high speeds over the pave, out in the elements at extreme temperatures day-in and day-out, etc..
Not sure about that.

Before i took the plunge on my first I spent many months online exchanging ideas with people who owned and raced Chinese carbon (back about four years ago, Chinese carbon was considered deadly by most cyclists---"aspolsion" was a word used almost constantly.) I found the posters at WeightWeenies included quite a few folks who wanted the lightest possible bikes for racing purposes but couldn't afford the big-name brands, so they tested the Chinese CF offerings---and by and large found them excellent.

The WW posters found some QC and/or design issues, and shared them widely. Because there were so many racers around the world looking for bargain, super-light frames, they tested just about everything and had a good set of recommendations/warnings.

No One talked about frame failure, or complained about unwanted flex, or failure, or poor performance. And since these were racers, i have to think they were going as hard as they could to win, which was the point of their exercises to begin with.

We all have our own impressions. Yours are right for you, mine for me. Personally I would not hesitate a moment before buying another Chinese CF frame from any of the major manufacturers---though I would go to weight-weenies first to find out if there were any specific issues with the model i was considering.
If you are running over potholes on every ride and in need of super tough wheels, these Chinese carbon frames may not be right for you.
I am a mega-clyde, and I have whacked a few potholes. No problem.

But if you plan on riding cyclocross or something, get a cyclocross-specific frame ... from a major Chinese CF frame manufacturer.

Anyway ... plenty of room for differing opinions. I am not trying to invalidate your post, just offering a contrasting take. People should read both before deciding.
Old 12-17-18, 02:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I didn't post clearly.

I don't think it would be made from an old mold----just deigned with the same specs as the BMC. I have a R5 "clone" which I assume came from a bespoke mold---not from a stolen Cervelo mold. it depends where you buy them, perhaps. I have a pair and found no issues in any respect.

Not sure about that.

Before i took the plunge on my first I spent many months online exchanging ideas with people who owned and raced Chinese carbon (back about four years ago, Chinese carbon was considered deadly by most cyclists---"aspolsion" was a word used almost constantly.) I found the posters at WeightWeenies included quite a few folks who wanted the lightest possible bikes for racing purposes but couldn't afford the big-name brands, so they tested the Chinese CF offerings---and by and large found them excellent.

The WW posters found some QC and/or design issues, and shared them widely. Because there were so many racers around the world looking for bargain, super-light frames, they tested just about everything and had a good set of recommendations/warnings.

No One talked about frame failure, or complained about unwanted flex, or failure, or poor performance. And since these were racers, i have to think they were going as hard as they could to win, which was the point of their exercises to begin with.

We all have our own impressions. Yours are right for you, mine for me. Personally I would not hesitate a moment before buying another Chinese CF frame from any of the major manufacturers---though I would go to weight-weenies first to find out if there were any specific issues with the model i was considering.

But if you plan on riding cyclocross or something, get a cyclocross-specific frame ... from a major Chinese CF frame manufacturer.

Anyway ... plenty of room for differing opinions. I am not trying to invalidate your post, just offering a contrasting take. People should read both before deciding.
Old 12-17-18, 03:58 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

At the level of casual cyclist, these frames perform just fine for weekly club rides, few out-of-saddle sprints/climbs here and there, run over a few potholes, etc..
Knowing your expectation of what you may do with these frames, what type of riding will you be doing and more importantly how well you know your equipment under high stress usage, these are keys to purchasing low-cost carbon frame from any manufacture.

I've raced my Chinese frame in U.S. pro races, dropping 1400 watt sprints repeatedly, cornering at 35+, descending at 60+. Has performed like any of my other frames.

Mine's an open mold, though, which was also picked up by a major UK brand as their in-house lightweight frame, so it's probably one of the better ones out there, though still only $500 bucks.
Old 12-17-18, 04:01 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

I read dozens of threads on WW before buying mine. Good trove of info., there.
Old 12-17-18, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Not only these Chinese carbon frame manufactures cannot put name-brand decals on the consumer-direct-sales frames; but also there are subtle differences with the name-brand frames. Whether these differences produce significant performance or durability gaps is still very difficult to tell, I don't know of anyone has provided significant testing side-by-side of a budget Chinese carbon frame vs name-brand carbon frame of very similar model.
This would prove disastrous for the name brand manufacturers. They are selling carbon models for up to $16K. Direct to consumer Chinese brand frames are available for a few hundred dollars. This is a no-win proposition: if the frames are in any way comparable in quality, it's a PR disaster. If they are significantly different in quality, it's what one would expect given the enormous price gap.

In reality, what you're paying for is the dealer network, bike shop support, multi-year warranty, and 1st world salaries for their design teams for R&D.

Personally, after decades of building and servicing carbon bikes from name-brand manufactures and building 4 Chinese carbon bikes from framesets in the last 20 months; I can say that there are still noticeable differences between the name-brand and Chinese carbon frames. Especially when it comes to tolerance differences and surface finish details. I usually overlook these details, because I don't expect the same amount of detail/finish with the budget pricing of Chinese Carbon frames. I consider them disposable like a plastic water bottle when I encounter frame failure.
What Chinese brands are you referring to? What are the tolerance differences and surface finish details? Are you using digital calipers? Most of the Chinese generics are not painted: just matte carbon with no decals or clear coat. How many of these bikes encounter frame failure? Are you saying Chinese carbon frames cannot be repaired? Funny, just about all carbon frames from the major manufacturers are produced in china and can be repaired in most instances.

This is why pros replace their carbon bikes after each season at the latest, sometimes after just a single tour. You're implying that pro models have an indefinite life cycle and that is completely false.

Also, without data from fatigue cycles in the lab, you really have no evidence at all that the name brands last any longer than Chinese direct to consumer frames. You have made some big claims and offered up no data or evidence of any kind.

Last edited by radroad; 12-17-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 07:07 PM
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by radroad
Are you saying Chinese carbon frames cannot be repaired? Funny, just about all carbon frames from the major manufacturers are produced in china and can be repaired in most instances.
Why would anyone spend more to repair a carbon frame than just buying the same frame new one at $300-400?

This is why pros replace their carbon bikes after each season at the latest, sometimes after just a single tour. You're implying that pro models have an indefinite life cycle and that is completely false.
I never said such thing, never implied even, why would you ever think a carbon frame can have indefinite life?

Also, without data from fatigue cycles in the lab, you really have no evidence at all that the name brands last any longer than Chinese direct to consumer frames. You have made some big claims and offered up no data or evidence of any kind.
Do you have data from lab for any fatigue cycle? I never claim that I have any specific data. You need to read more carefully and stop implying what's not written.
Old 12-17-18, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
[QUOTE=cat0020;20708982

Do you have data from lab for any fatigue cycle? I never claim that I have any specific data. You need to read more carefully and stop implying what's not written.[/QUOTE]

“Ultimately, it comes down to how much risk you take with your ride.
If you are running over potholes on every ride and in need of super tough wheels, these Chinese carbon frames may not be right for you”

The implication from this statement is that Chinese frames are somehow not up to the level of abuse expected from the frame from a major (or even 3rd tier) manufacurer. It’s been pointed out that you have no data to support such a statement.

I follow the Chinese Carbon threads here and on roadbikereview and have noticed that there are few posts from folks who have gone the Chinese open-mold route and have suffered frame failures and reported it. Most of the folks who’ve gone that route likely pay attention to the condition of their frames (fear mostly) and would be less likely to be surprised by a failure than say an owner of a Specialized or Trek. Possibly nobody owning a failed Chinese carbon frame bothers to report it, who knows, but I do see more failures reported from name brands. Could that be because there are more sold ?, likely. But even with name brand failures, it’s so few for the numbers sold that what it really points out is that carbon frames are incredibly durable and that the Chinese open molds seem to be as well. I’ll ask the guys at the LBS some day.
Old 12-17-18, 09:54 PM

Why would anyone spend more to repair a carbon frame than just buying the same frame new one at $300-400?

I never said such thing, never implied even, why would you ever think a carbon frame can have indefinite life?

Do you have data from lab for any fatigue cycle? I never claim that I have any specific data. You need to read more carefully and stop implying what's not written.
Not surprisingly, you've ducked every last question I asked which if answered, would have substantiated any and all of your claims.

1. where are the digital caliper measurements of the differences in tolerances between Chinese brands and name brands?
2. where are the photos of differences in tolerances?
3. where are the photos of differences in quality of finish in the frames?
4. what are the names, models and model years of the Chinese frames from the past 20 months?
5. what are the names and models of the name brands?
6. which of the frames you built, rode, or owned experienced frame failures? Under what type of riding conditions? After how many miles? How heavy were the riders? What were the road conditions?
7. how do you define the "highest levels?" Do you mean professional cycling? Do you know how long professionally ridden frames last?

You present absolutely zero evidence of your claims, zero specifics yet claim ultimately authority on this subject. Furthermore, you are ignoring years of evidence presented in various forums including bike forums, weightweenies, roadbikereview and others, of Chinese brands offering very lightweight, high performance and years long durability at a very tiny fraction of the asking price of the brand names. The evidence is overwhelming; overwhelmingly against you, that is.
Old 12-17-18, 10:36 PM

I visited the workswellbikes.com site and while they have a large variety of bike frames for sale, they have no geometry charts for any of the models. Where can I get this information? It seems like this brand is mentioned a lot as a reliable company, should I check out others? It looks like some people have had problems with dengfu. Any other brands I should consider?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.