Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ebay bike mechanics

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ebay bike mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
it is in perfect condition
The middle cable guide is pushed down so far its barely visible in the pics....
Old 12-18-13, 06:46 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Well, I use the 1/8" tolerance all the time, its the standard architectural allowance for C.M.U. and masonry walls in building construction for D.O.D. construction (as well as all general construction,) also used for GWB wall construction, both over a 10' span. If I had to inspect a piece of tubing in a mechanical system with a 1/8" bow in it I would question why the construction was running less than true, vertical or horizontal. A Machinery's Handbook, 27th edition, shoots this one down right off. File a claim and stand by your position. Thanks for the ID on the seller, one that I'll avoid in the future, if necessary.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-18-13, 07:10 AM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by flash2070
I'm not questioning your expertize regarding frames, but have you taken it to a professional bike shop to use their gadgets that they have to determine the frames straightness? I ask because I posted a thread about my vintage Pogliaghi, and some members were adamant that the fork was bent! I took it to several shops, and a Professional collector that has been collecting/selling for over 20 years, and they all confirmed that the fork was not bent! I would give that a try! All the best!

Flash
+1, find a frame builder who uses imported Italian alignment tables from Marchetti if you can. They will be able to tell you exactly what is repairable or that you were shipped a boat anchor. That is a nice bike, worth saving maybe, I doubt it can be made right but if it can the seller can choose to refund or if acceptable to you pay for the repairs. I had a unridable Reynolds 753R (supposed to be unable to cold set 753) frame and the bent fork straightened and rear DO spread to 130mm last by Andy Gilmour for $80.
Old 12-18-13, 07:32 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I find it highly interesting that he does not make mention that "1/8 inch is within normal tolerances" (did he make that up? Probably - after all, 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot) anywhere in his auction write-up. File a claim - and thanks for sharing the perpetrator. Lying by omission is still lying.

DD
+10 Three types of lies out there:

1. Lies

2. Damn lies.

3. Statistics.

One of my favorite bullcrap lines is "its a proven fact". Anyone using that phrase to me, I know two things for sure: its not proven and its not a fact.

If it were me, that bend would bother me every time I looked at that bike. No way I could keep it.

File an ebay claim and return it.
Old 12-18-13, 07:51 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2942 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,503 Posts
At first glance I would have said it came from the practice of sitleaning on the TT before or after a ride but in this pic you can you can see something may be up with the middle cable guide

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-18-13, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it highly interesting that he does not make mention that "1/8 inch is within normal tolerances" (did he make that up? Probably - after all, 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot) anywhere in his auction write-up. File a claim - and thanks for sharing the perpetrator. Lying by omission is still lying.

DD
I think huffys had a tolerance closer than 1/8 of an inch / and with 2 feedbacks you took a big risk even buying it
Old 12-18-13, 08:18 AM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
1 ebay feedback on the seller? I wouldn' have bid in the first place. Buyer beware.
Originally Posted by sandy79
I think huffys had a tolerance closer than 1/8 of an inch / and with 2 feedbacks you took a big risk even buying it
Upon review of Seller feedback, the seller has ZERO feedback. The 2 feedbacks were for buying shoes.
Old 12-18-13, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Its an obvious fault and might throw the head tube angle off a bit but is this a fatal problem?
Old 12-18-13, 01:07 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3701 Post(s)
Liked 5,529 Times in 2,798 Posts
It's otherwise an attractive bike but I would just send it back. You'll never be happy with it and the seller should make amends for his scam.
Old 12-18-13, 01:16 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Reminds me of the ebay seller who sold me a pair of "aluminum alloy" fenders. They were steel. His reply: they're aluminum colored and steel is an alloy.
Old 12-18-13, 01:30 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Upon review of Seller feedback, the seller has ZERO feedback. The 2 feedbacks were for buying shoes.
Dropping serious $$$ on an item from a seller with zero feedback is very risky. As a 13 year long time seller, I will go the extra mile to keep a buyer happy. Someone with zero feedback can just drop his ebay account, and then have his wife sign up later.

Personally, I would not bid with such a seller unless I could do a local pickup.
Old 12-18-13, 01:34 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Maybe the frame is still repairable??....if it is non-heat treated SLX family tubing (Reynolds 753 is the one that's heat treated and cannot be cold set).... With maybe a bit of careful manual "coaxing"??
1/8" isn't that much and maybe a couple of blocks of wood and some clamps can coax the TT back to near perfect cylindrical....
If it is reparable, you might just ask for the "appropriate" amount of money back and end up with a bargain if it is repaired....
Just thinking of what other options you might have....
Old 12-18-13, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
You might also try asking the framebuilders forum here what they think.

Is the frame otherwise in alignment?
Old 12-18-13, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Maybe the frame is still repairable??....if it is non-heat treated SLX family tubing (Reynolds 753 is the one that's heat treated and cannot be cold set).... With maybe a bit of careful manual "coaxing"??
1/8" isn't that much and maybe a couple of blocks of wood and some clamps can coax the TT back to near perfect cylindrical....
If it is reparable, you might just ask for the "appropriate" amount of money back and end up with a bargain if it is repaired....
Just thinking of what other options you might have....
I think you are right.
The frame blocks by Paragon Machine Works are very nice for restoring the tubing to its original round shape (Search "rolling" frame tubes) but not with a cable guide in the way. I'm guessing that three sets of frame blocks and a good stout C-clamp in the hands of an experienced frame builder could bring the tube back to straight. But between the straightening, cable guide removal and replacement, and the repaint I would certainly be expecting a very hefty refund from the seller.
Brent
Old 12-18-13, 02:09 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
He knew the frame was bent, that is why he an answer so quickly. Bike was most likely in an accident. If the frame appeared bent he should of put it in his ad, along with his glib phoney answer,,,take steps to get your money back.
Old 12-18-13, 02:10 PM
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I think you are right.
The frame blocks by Paragon Machine Works are very nice for restoring the tubing to its original round shape (Search "rolling" frame tubes) but not with a cable guide in the way. I'm guessing that three sets of frame blocks and a good stout C-clamp in the hands of an experienced frame builder could bring the tube back to straight. But between the straightening, cable guide removal and replacement, and the repaint I would certainly be expecting a very hefty refund from the seller.
Brent
+1, $700 plus rolling out the oval-ness, plus any sanding or filling imperfections with bondo, plus a GOOD paint job sounds like a huge pain to live with. I agree that it's not worth trying to fix at this price. Do you guys think that a partial refund is a possibility? If that's possible, I would ask for at least $300 in a partial refund.
Old 12-18-13, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did he make that up? Probably - after all, 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
Old 12-18-13, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Dropping serious $$$ on an item from a seller with zero feedback is very risky. As a 13 year long time seller, I will go the extra mile to keep a buyer happy. Someone with zero feedback can just drop his ebay account, and then have his wife sign up later.

Personally, I would not bid with such a seller unless I could do a local pickup.
Actually you are pretty safe with a low or no feedback seller if you use Paypal. For these sellers they will not release the funds now until the buyer leaves positive feedback. In the case of a milling machine I just bought from a seller with a feedback of around 150, Paypal actually phoned me to make sure everything was ok on my end before they would release the funds. And this was only for $1500.

The only way you can get screwed is on the shipping if the seller has set up the returns as, "Paid by buyer".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/
Old 12-18-13, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Remember that thread on what you like and don't like about ebay not too long ago.

This is what I don't like. To a greater or lesser extent, it happens all the time.
Old 12-18-13, 06:35 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im with bianchi girl, from looking at it you can tell it had a problem thats the reason maybe nobody bid to it, to me the bigger second flag to do not bid is the fact that the paint job is relatively new. That's not a bike that is mint, never seen a gueccioti with that paint job just to star, and to me thats a repainted frame, when? who knows. How the tube got oval? no idea, people does the weirdest things to their frames and probably this one was clamped too much in the bike stand????

Fill up a claim with ebay and get your money back.

For the ones thinking in getting this fixed, pretty much can be fixed, is not that hard if you know what are you doing. The top tube needs to be replaced, maybe a 300 to 400 bucks job depending on the builder. For a 700 bucks bike dont worth it you know. Thats the problem with old bikes, a frame worth to be fixed based in uniqueness and price, but since that frame pretty much can be found quite often IMO don't worth the time wasted.

You have like 400 bucks worth of parts in there, if you need a donor bike great.

Another option is to ask a partial refund, maybe like 150 or 250 arguing that you have to fix it, if the guy gives you the money back, keep the parts, sell the frame for 50 bucks and keep the fork or sell the fork for 150, and use the parts in another bike or sell the the parts, that bike worth more in parts anyways.

Good luck.
Old 12-18-13, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Im with bianchi girl, from looking at it you can tell it had a problem thats the reason maybe nobody bid to it, to me the bigger second flag to do not bid is the fact that the paint job is relatively new. That's not a bike that is mint, never seen a gueccioti with that paint job just to star, and to me thats a repainted frame, when? who knows. How the tube got oval? no idea, people does the weirdest things to their frames and probably this one was clamped too much in the bike stand????

Fill up a claim with ebay and get your money back.

For the ones thinking in getting this fixed, pretty much can be fixed, is not that hard if you know what are you doing. The top tube needs to be replaced, maybe a 300 to 400 bucks job depending on the builder. For a 700 bucks bike dont worth it you know. Thats the problem with old bikes, a frame worth to be fixed based in uniqueness and price, but since that frame pretty much can be found quite often IMO don't worth the time wasted.

You have like 400 bucks worth of parts in there, if you need a donor bike great.

Another option is to ask a partial refund, maybe like 150 or 250 arguing that you have to fix it, if the guy gives you the money back, keep the parts, sell the frame for 50 bucks and keep the fork or sell the fork for 150, and use the parts in another bike or sell the the parts, that bike worth more in parts anyways.

Good luck.

actually that is a factory paint job the ten speed imports sticker is still on it and if ten speed repainted any frames they would have put a Columbus sticker with a red line across it showing it was a repaint ............. and I filed a case already (just have to wait my 48 hours) I used paypal buyers credit and since the seller only had a feedback score of 2 the seller does not get their money for 7 days after delivery conformation or positive feedback left by buyer ( new rule by ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1620444a.jpg (45.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-18-13, 07:40 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never seen one with that paint job, as for the columbus decal well... that you repaint something doesnt mean you will put the columbus decal saying that is a respray my friend. You are assuming they would but so far even those respray columbus decals are harder to get than the real ones But well, I think you did the right thing.

Did not know that new ebay rule, that sucks for a seller. And what happens if the buyer forget to give you feedback? Paypal and ebay screw you up till the system release the funds or something?
Old 12-18-13, 07:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I think you are right.
Brent

here is the underside of the top tube (note the flat spots ) failed attempt to repair bend? which would explain the oval area in the tube ...... the seller did note this area in his description ....."There are a couple of small paint rubs on the underside of the top tube from the bike being stored on a storage rack" paint rubs ??? .................... I am pretty well covered on this and this post is just to humor my fellow cyclists during the winter months .....since the sellers response to ebay was ...." I pride myself on my bike collection and would NEVER sell something damaged or bent or broken or un-rideable."
Attached Images
b.jpg (70.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 12-18-13, 07:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Never seen one with that paint job, as for the columbus decal well... that you repaint something doesnt mean you will put the columbus decal saying that is a respray my friend. You are assuming they would but so far even those respray columbus decals are harder to get than the real ones But well, I think you did the right thing.

Did not know that new ebay rule, that sucks for a seller. And what happens if the buyer forget to give you feedback? Paypal and ebay screw you up till the system release the funds or something?

ten speed imports did ...they had the sales contract with Guerciotti to paint and decal all their frames and as far as I am pretty sure all repaints were given the striped decal
Attached Images
images.jpg (4.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 12-18-13, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,133 Posts
Ouch!

I think you are probably right. Someone attempted to straighten the tube without first clamping it in blocks to prevent further deformation.

But don't you know? The tolerance for "paint rub" is 1/8" deep!

Brent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.