Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone travelled the entirety of Highway 395 (situated in California)?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has anyone travelled the entirety of Highway 395 (situated in California)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 10:46 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 2,239 Posts
Originally Posted by PadawanHealy
I congratulate you for such a thorough response. I currently live in Las Vegas, NV ( I've lived here for approximately 1.5 years) and I'm pretty acclimated to the desert climate and environment. I personally enjoy a balance between the desolate but serene desert, something about it cleanses the soul, that in contrast with the wonderful sights of the forestry present in higher elevations.
After the desert scenery cleanses your Soul, the constancy of the view drains the Spirit and the wind and heat erodes the Body.
I survived there about 4 years.
Terrible cycling town - Las Vegas.
YMMV

edit: Hwy 395 extends to the Canadian border - I have ridden parts of it both north and south of Spokane, WA. It would not be my preference for a local ride, but if high speed traffic isn't a problem - the sections I have ridden in WA include a shoulder right of the white line.
Have also ridden many short sections around Reno, Carson City and the Mammoth Mt/June Lk region, but it was so long ago that I decline to comment now. Back then I had to pick my days&times to feel safe Gentle grades for miles at a good altitude should be included in your gearing choices.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-08-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-08-21, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 265 Posts
I lived in Susanville most of my life which is just off the 36/395 junction. That stretch of road from Susanville to Alturas is about 90 miles of very barren terrain. There is a small town named Likely located about 15 miles south of Alturas where you can at least get some water and food at the local store.
Other than that, there are ZERO services on that section of 395. It should also be noted that there are sections where you don’t have a lot of shoulder and drivers tend to travel fast as it’s a long stretch between towns.

There is a LBS in Susanville that deals mostly in MTB’s as that’s what riders predominantly do up there. I can’t speak to their experience with other bikes but would have to believe they could help you if you had a break down.

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 02-08-21 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I lived in Susanville most of my life which is just off the 36/395 junction. That stretch of road from Susanville to Alturas is about 90 miles of very barren terrain. There is a small town named Likely located about 15 miles south of Alturas where you can at least get some water and food at the local store.
Other than that, there are ZERO services on that section of 395. It should also be noted that there are sections where you don’t have a lot of shoulder and drivers tend to travel fast as it’s a long stretch between towns.
There is a relatively-new rail-trail in that area too, Madeline-Likely-Sage Hen etc. Maybe all the way down to Wendel too. It intrigues me because the last time I was out that way, it was still an active rail line! I've checked out some Google street views of it and it looks a little more rugged than the typical FA-6 screenings we get on the rail-trails in Illinois. 25c tires probably not recommended! But you're right, that is one VERY lonely section of road and I can only imagine the trail to be even more so.
Old 02-09-21, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
There is a relatively-new rail-trail in that area too, Madeline-Likely-Sage Hen etc. Maybe all the way down to Wendel too. It intrigues me because the last time I was out that way, it was still an active rail line! I've checked out some Google street views of it and it looks a little more rugged than the typical FA-6 screenings we get on the rail-trails in Illinois. 25c tires probably not recommended! But you're right, that is one VERY lonely section of road and I can only imagine the trail to be even more so.
You are correct in it being rougher than it appears from a satellite map. I’m not convinced that is actually a recreational- bike trail so much as it’s simply the result of tearing out the existing tracking and then letting nature take its course.
There are many more beautiful areas to gravel bike in Lassen County than that area you speak of and that trail sees little use and...... little maintenance. It does indeed go through Wendel but that town basically dried up and blew away 30 years ago, what’s left more looks like something from “ The Hills Have Eyes” than any town you’d enjoy cycling through.
Old 02-09-21, 05:41 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Did it on a Yamaha 500 Thumper a long time ago.
Those were nice.